Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Zhaan posted:

Were you in Magatsu Inaba or Mandala? He has a much higher chance of turning up there.

I was actually in the Bathhouse at the time. I may have seen him once again later, in Heaven, but that was it. Odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
So, I finished the game a few days ago after 80 awesome hours, definitely worth the purchase. I managed to get the true ending and (obvious true ending spoilers) goddamn I knew that gas station attendant was fishy, especially after watching the 1st P4 anime episode where they insist a bit too much on the handshake. Also he/she was seen in the city only during rain days, and we all know rain means weird.
Around midgame I had my suspicions on Namatame who was acting super-weird when you could talk to him, and the gas station attendant. I had a bit of doubt also on Adachi as a semi-joke and usual mystery convention but didn't think of him much, though.

Regarding the bad ending, I got one where (december spoiler) you throw Namatame in the TV and it wraps up like this, but upon hovering spoiler bars in this thread, it seems there's another one with Adachi involved, how do you get it ? Does it need you to have Adachi's S.Link at 6 ?

Great game overall, I'm really looking for Persona 5 now.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Zanael posted:

So, I finished the game a few days ago after 80 awesome hours, definitely worth the purchase. I managed to get the true ending and (obvious true ending spoilers) goddamn I knew that gas station attendant was fishy, especially after watching the 1st P4 anime episode where they insist a bit too much on the handshake. Also he/she was seen in the city only during rain days, and we all know rain means weird.
Around midgame I had my suspicions on Namatame who was acting super-weird when you could talk to him, and the gas station attendant. I had a bit of doubt also on Adachi as a semi-joke and usual mystery convention but didn't think of him much, though.

Regarding the bad ending, I got one where (december spoiler) you throw Namatame in the TV and it wraps up like this, but upon hovering spoiler bars in this thread, it seems there's another one with Adachi involved, how do you get it ? Does it need you to have Adachi's S.Link at 6 ?

Great game overall, I'm really looking for Persona 5 now.

Get Adachi's S.Link up to 6, then cover for him when you pick his name out.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Really Pants posted:

drat, man, you didn't even have any mid-tier heals at Shadow Teddie? You were definitely underleveled.

My levels were around 30-32. The Ganga was Lv33. Yosuke was underleveled at 26, swapping him out for Lv31 Kanji definitely helped. I've been trying to level Yosuke more now. I also got him his follow-up attack.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Really Pants posted:

drat, man, you didn't even have any mid-tier heals at Shadow Teddie? You were definitely underleveled.

It's pretty funny how long it took to beat some of the bosses on my first playthrough, the void quest boss comes to mind, compared to how easy it is to wreck any boss only using physical skills and buffs/debuffs

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I started NG++ so I could erase my social links and fuse personas faster. I finally did it! :toot:

Ara Mitama became Legion. Whatever, don't care, platinum achieved! :toot: Bring on Persona 5!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, yeah, I just spent about 3 hours grinding levels in order to get to level 93 to fuse Lucifer only to find out you don't keep your personas or level in NG+. Seeing as I'm at Jan 27 I'll make use of it for...not much longer...considering the time it took to get it...

Also, question regarding Aeon SL, at what point do I get access to Marie's dungeon? I maxed her link out and the woman in blue has been "searching" for like a month...do I need to do something specific at this point?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You keep your compendium and money (and lose the level restriction) so you still can party down in NG+ with your OP personas.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You keep your compendium and money (and lose the level restriction) so you still can party down in NG+ with your OP personas.

Awesome! I knew about the money and Compendium, but when I read that you lose your level, I was like "I'm sure as hell not grinding back to level 93".

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
You can't fuse personas above your level in NG+ but you can summon and use them. So when you're ready to kill Izanami go sell all your poo poo you don't need.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Gamma Nerd posted:

You can't fuse personas above your level in NG+ but you can summon and use them. So when you're ready to kill Izanami go sell all your poo poo you don't need.

Yeah, so by summon you mean from the book, right? Basically, I didn't waste hours of grinding right?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Annath posted:

Yeah, so by summon you mean from the book, right? Basically, I didn't waste hours of grinding right?

Yeah don't let the talk confuse you.

As long as you've created the character and it's in your compedium you own it forever and can use it as long as you can afford it.

I recall grinding enough to buy 1 of each of the Persona's I wanted along with armor from the Blacksmith before ending the game to start NG+

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Annath posted:

Also, question regarding Aeon SL, at what point do I get access to Marie's dungeon? I maxed her link out and the woman in blue has been "searching" for like a month...do I need to do something specific at this point?
No, you're all set. It will open up and you will be forced into it at the same time within the story no matter what you do.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jet Ready Go posted:

Yeah don't let the talk confuse you.

As long as you've created the character and it's in your compedium you own it forever and can use it as long as you can afford it.

I recall grinding enough to buy 1 of each of the Persona's I wanted along with armor from the Blacksmith before ending the game to start NG+

Alright. Cool. Got it.

Whats the best way to grind money btw? I've just been running Magatsu Inaba/Magatsu Mandala over and over and over. Now that I completed my fusion goal, I guess I don't need to buy as much stuff.

I also want to fight The Reaper again, but the last time I triggered the rattling chains, I ran out of chests and went to the next floor only for the sound to stop...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Also, I just watched episode 6 of the anime, and I need to know why there wasn't a Kanji-Chase Meal-Delivery quick time event in the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Annath posted:

Also, I just watched episode 6 of the anime, and I need to know why there wasn't a Kanji-Chase Meal-Delivery quick time event in the game.

Seriously though, I would have killed for Aika to have made it into this game beyond a passing mention.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

MrAristocrates posted:

Seriously though, I would have killed for Aika to have made it into this game beyond a passing mention.

Is it just me or does the anime Yuu respond with the most deadpan dialog options? He plays it so straight its practically snapped.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Nothing beats the glory of Yu's facial expression as he was kicked off that cliff.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm nearing the end of the Persona 4 anime and I hope to god that Persona 5 gets an anime too. That or if Persona 5 gets much more detailed scenes of expression.

I also found Teddie to be only somewhat likeable in Persona 4, but in Persona 4 Animation and Persona 4 Arena I just can't get enough of him. :swoon:

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
P3 anime is next, well, the movies at least. First one is releasing this fall. P5 would have to come out first, then most likely we would see an anime release a year or so later (could be more). Oh, and I completely agree that Yu's deadpan acting in P4 animation is pretty much perfect.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Beat the game for all intents and purposes...thoughts:

So Marie's dungeon was kinda bullshit. Not hard, at least not in a "this requires skill" sort of way, just bullshit. I had Lucifer with Victory Cry, so MC always had full HP and half SP but everyone else was screwed. Oh! an item that restores a WHOPPING 12SP per equipees turn! When I kill most things in one turn! With abilities that cost 12-38SP! (except MC who has Spell Master :smuggo:) Its absurd. It also took all my money when it took my items, and I never got it back. So I guess I'll be grinding money in the True Ending Dungeon to take into NG+?

That being said, I liked the actual plot stuff in there. Marie is an odd character though. I never played P4 on PS2, but I can pretty easily see spots where the Devs added her after the fact, but I can also see spots where it really seems like they intended her to be the headcanon romantic partner.

Speaking of romances...

So I knew that Valentine's Day would be interesting because in my speeding through dialog I ended up romancing both Marie and Yukiko. I knew that VD could involve only one, and I had intended to do Marie my first run, so I declined Yukikio. That was an interesting conversation. But then Marie didn't show up, at first. MC spent Valentines moping in the Junes food court with Yosuke and Kanjii. Marie was hanging out outside MC's house and they had their event, but based on the Junes scene, could I have hung out with Yukiko too? Eh, w/e.

All in all, a whole lot of fun. I look forward to turning on NG+, cranking up the XP and Cash (you can do that in NG+ right?) and blasting through everything so I can max all the links. Do S.Links carry over to NG+?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Annath posted:

Speaking of romances...

So I knew that Valentine's Day would be interesting because in my speeding through dialog I ended up romancing both Marie and Yukiko. I knew that VD could involve only one, and I had intended to do Marie my first run, so I declined Yukikio. That was an interesting conversation. But then Marie didn't show up, at first. MC spent Valentines moping in the Junes food court with Yosuke and Kanjii. Marie was hanging out outside MC's house and they had their event, but based on the Junes scene, could I have hung out with Yukiko too? Eh, w/e.

All in all, a whole lot of fun. I look forward to turning on NG+, cranking up the XP and Cash (you can do that in NG+ right?) and blasting through everything so I can max all the links. Do S.Links carry over to NG+?

Yes, Marie is seperate from the other girls for holiday dates. She tends to just catch you after you and your other date go your seperate ways.

Links do not carry over, but the key items they give you do, so you can fuse their ultimate Persona without repeating the Link.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Annath posted:

Beat the game for all intents and purposes...thoughts:

So Marie's dungeon was kinda bullshit. Not hard, at least not in a "this requires skill" sort of way, just bullshit. I had Lucifer with Victory Cry, so MC always had full HP and half SP but everyone else was screwed. Oh! an item that restores a WHOPPING 12SP per equipees turn! When I kill most things in one turn! With abilities that cost 12-38SP! (except MC who has Spell Master :smuggo:) Its absurd. It also took all my money when it took my items, and I never got it back. So I guess I'll be grinding money in the True Ending Dungeon to take into NG+?

No, you should get all of your stuff and money back after the dungeon. Or even when you leave it via the TV.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Strange Quark posted:

No, you should get all of your stuff and money back after the dungeon. Or even when you leave it via the TV.

I got my items/equipment back for sure, but I definitely had 0¥ coming out of the dungeon. Hell, I've only got like 1200¥ now. It's not a huge deal, I'll grind cash in this dungeon before I wrap up, at least enough to summon some absurd Persona at the beginning of the game.

I'm kinda considering focusing on Izanagi for NG+ though. Shame you can't create Izanagi no Okami until the end of NG+ or whatever.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Annath posted:

I'm kinda considering focusing on Izanagi for NG+ though. Shame you can't create Izanagi no Okami until the end of NG+ or whatever.

I am doing this through my non-NG+ very hard run. I think it's actually easier in very hard to just use one persona all game; the stat-up cards and skill cards take care of it being somewhat less powerful, and the level matters a whole lot, and at the point I'm at now, a different persona would be about 8 levels lower.

I still can't entirely figure out if the stats on Personas lie, though. I know some people suggested they did, and they seemed to on my normal playthrough, but MC is definitely doing a lot more damage than anyone else with his physical attacks.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Just something I wanted to check - when you use Traesto to escape a dungeon, you can go straight back to the floor you escaped from, right? Just like with a Goho-M? I'm at the top of Void Quest, so I want to be sure.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
It should be fine. I believe you'll always go to the highest floor you've been to, unless you restart from the first floor. But it should be the same as Goho-ms in any case.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a guide or something that tells me the difference between things like Skewer and Sonic Punch? They both do light phys damage to 1 enemy.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dezinus posted:

It should be fine. I believe you'll always go to the highest floor you've been to, unless you restart from the first floor. But it should be the same as Goho-ms in any case.

Excellent, thanks. I need to leave so I can fuse some Personas and buy better gear to fight Shadow Mitsuo. He wiped me last time before I could even remove half his heath (and I was nearly out of SP by that point) but now Yu's gone from Lv40 to Lv48, with Chie, Yukiko and Teddie along for the ride. I really need to go grind with Yosuke after this is done, he's only Lv29.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 3, 2013

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BreakAtmo posted:

Excellent, thanks. I need to leave so I can fuse some Personas and buy better gear to fight Shadow Mitsuo. He wiped me last time before I could even remove half his heath (and I was nearly out of SP by that point) but now Yu's gone from Lv40 to Lv48, with Chie, Yukiko and Teddie along for the ride. I really need to go grind with Yosuke after this is done, he's only Lv29.

Just a heads up, spoilers are tagged

code:
[spoiler] SPOILY STUFF HERE [/spoiler]

Annath fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 3, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Annath posted:

Just a heads up, spoilers are tagged

code:
[spoiler] SPOILY STUFF HERE [/spoiler]

Thanks, I fixed it. I know the tags, I just completely forgot to do the second one. I should probably do them both from the start then write inbetween them.

Also, I beat Shadow Mitsuo. Is there a real strategy to killing him, or is he just the exhausting, high-damaging, zero-weakness HP wall that he seems and you just have to grind until you're strong enough to win?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yes, there's a strategy. It's called Black Frost, baby :getin:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes, there's a strategy. It's called Black Frost, baby :getin:

I looked him up. That's not a strategy, that's starting a truck and driving it into things.

:getin::hf::getin:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

BreakAtmo posted:

I looked him up. That's not a strategy, that's starting a truck and driving it into things.

:getin::hf::getin:

Black Frost can straight up last you two more dungeons with how insane he is. He's really, really good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

Thanks, I fixed it. I know the tags, I just completely forgot to do the second one. I should probably do them both from the start then write inbetween them.

Also, I beat Shadow Mitsuo. Is there a real strategy to killing him, or is he just the exhausting, high-damaging, zero-weakness HP wall that he seems and you just have to grind until you're strong enough to win?

Apart from Black Frost, it also helps to have lots of Wall Paprika to protect whoever's weak against whichever element he switches to after you Down him.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Apart from Black Frost, it also helps to have lots of Wall Paprika to protect whoever's weak against whichever element he switches to after you Down him.

Yeah, I ended up just plain getting lucky with that part.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Revitalized posted:

Is there a guide or something that tells me the difference between things like Skewer and Sonic Punch? They both do light phys damage to 1 enemy.

Those descriptions don't actually tell you a whole lot, really. They mostly let you know what "tier" the skill is. According to the Megatenwiki (assuming it's right), here are the two skills' respective stats:

Skewer: 140 power, 85 accuracy, 20 crit, 5% HP
Sucker Punch: 150 power, 90 accuracy, 25 crit, 8% HP.

Source. This is also assuming that the numbers haven't changed for Golden.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Woo-hoo, I maxed out the Chariot Arcana. I really must max more Social Links.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes. Even on a new game, you have plenty of time to max out the whole team at least, and a happy Persona-user is a Persona-user that will KILL EVERYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is it wrong to leave my team on autopilot? They seem better at using the right spells and abilities and items than I ever was.

• Locked thread