Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Quick version for those who don't know yet: Google maps / Google maps navigation does all of its routing calculations on Google's servers. No signal and no WiFi? You're hosed.

That's why some people buy standalone GPS route navigation apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
Are there any IM clients that sync complete logs between PC and devices? I'm not paying Trillian three dollars a month forever to store less than a hundred megabytes of text.

Just needs to support AIM and preferably multiple SNs, but that's not a complete dealbreaker. Also, the app doesn't need to be free, so long as the initial cost is reasonable.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
^^^
Try Imo.im.

rolleyes posted:

Quick version for those who don't know yet: Google maps / Google maps navigation does all of its routing calculations on Google's servers. No signal and no WiFi? You're hosed.

That's why some people buy standalone GPS route navigation apps.

Ah I get it now. He mentioned Google maps/navigation and I didn't even notice that navigation wasn't working when I was traveling because I actually prefer using Google maps with GPS to navigate over the actual Google navigation app. It just makes it easier for me to zoom in and out and see the map without the blue line.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 1, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

The Gadfly posted:

Ah I get it now. He mentioned Google maps/navigation and I didn't even notice that navigation wasn't working when I was traveling because I actually prefer using Google maps with GPS to navigate over the actual Google navigation app. It just makes it easier for me to zoom in and out and see the map without the blue line.

If someone made a lab for Google Maps that changed it so the blue line only appeared for X (configurable) seconds after a screen touch, Navigation would be a lot more useful.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

What's the best way to track down a memory leak? Something seems to be hogging my ram. I've resorted to rebooting my phone every 5 or so hours, since that will clear it up for a while.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

What's the best way to track down a memory leak? Something seems to be hogging my ram. I've resorted to rebooting my phone every 5 or so hours, since that will clear it up for a while.
Most of your RAM is supposed to be in use, it will be freed up as needed (this isn't Windows). If you need to track what's running though the best way is using Better Battery Stats (free on xda) but again just because something is using RAM doesn't mean the phone will be unresponsive. It is your wakelock situation that causes problems and that app shows what's holding those wakelocks.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

Most of your RAM is supposed to be in use, it will be freed up as needed (this isn't Windows). If you need to track what's running though the best way is using Better Battery Stats (free on xda) but again just because something is using RAM doesn't mean the phone will be unresponsive. It is your wakelock situation that causes problems and that app shows what's holding those wakelocks.

I don't think even Windows has acted like that since Vista.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Windows hasn't acted like that since XP, actually.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is true, the Windows scheduler is much improved in Vista and beyond. Of course in Vista, Microsoft did the same thing Android does and reported prefetched and cached items in the System Manager and users pitched a poo poo fit because they'd been trained by two decades of manually managing their RAM. So Vista got the reputation for being a memory hog and Windows 7 does exactly the same things in exactly the same way except now they don't report prefetching and cache in the System Manager and now the reputation is how great Windows 7 is with memory management.

The point remains the same regardless of operating system: the computer is smarter than you, let it do the scheduling. Of course you only need to say this to Windows users because they're the only people who have been trained to attempt to manage their system's memory.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Related to the media streaming posts a couple of pages back, the YATSE remote for xbmc recently had an update that includes streaming to the device, including resume from where you left off.

Its paid version only, and I'm still on the free app so I'm yet to try it. But i will upgrade to give it a go at some point.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

This is true, the Windows scheduler is much improved in Vista and beyond. Of course in Vista, Microsoft did the same thing Android does and reported prefetched and cached items in the System Manager and users pitched a poo poo fit because they'd been trained by two decades of manually managing their RAM. So Vista got the reputation for being a memory hog and Windows 7 does exactly the same things in exactly the same way except now they don't report prefetching and cache in the System Manager and now the reputation is how great Windows 7 is with memory management.

Unless you're one of those idiots who thinks they know computers but don't quite, and think Windows 7 'burns through memory faster' or some dumb poo poo about it ruining RAM in laymans terms. Yes, it's someone I work with.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I know the ram is supposed to be used. I'm not none of those people that freak out when they don't have 100 free megs or anything. I've just very recently started getting home screen redraws dawn near constantly, but only after my phone has been running more than a few hours. I don't have any new apps installed. This didn't start until updating to 4.2.2. I'm also seeing a poo poo ton of wake locks from Maps, despite being on 4.2.2, which I thought fixed it.

Edit: is BBS any better/worse than GSam? I used BBS for a while, but switched because I liked the layout of GSam

XIII fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 1, 2013

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Unless you're one of those idiots who thinks they know computers but don't quite, and think Windows 7 'burns through memory faster' or some dumb poo poo about it ruining RAM in laymans terms. Yes, it's someone I work with.

I just don't even... but that's... what? :psyduck:

Does RAM (as opposed to Flash) even have an upper limit on read/write cycles?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I think part of it was that Vista exposed a lot of bad RAM that people had been running for a long time.

Since XP didn't prefetch and all that stuff that Vista and 7 do, if RAM wasn't actively being used, it wasn't being used at all.

Enter superfetch, which dumps a bunch of stuff to RAM instead of idling it and *boom* a bad stick that's been sitting there unused for a couple of years suddenly turns up bad. Hence "Vista sucks! It ruined my RAM!"

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

XIII posted:

I know the ram is supposed to be used. I'm not none of those people that freak out when they don't have 100 free megs or anything. I've just very recently started getting home screen redraws dawn near constantly, but only after my phone has been running more than a few hours. I don't have any new apps installed. This didn't start until updating to 4.2.2. I'm also seeing a poo poo ton of wake locks from Maps, despite being on 4.2.2, which I thought fixed it.

Edit: is BBS any better/worse than GSam? I used BBS for a while, but switched because I liked the layout of GSam

The problems you describe happen to me after every single loving OTA update. Doing a reset fixes it for me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Badly Jester posted:

The problems you describe happen to me after every single loving OTA update. Doing a reset fixes it for me.

I've reset twice already. But, the first I went back to a nandroid for a few files, then nandroid'd back and the second time I restored an app backup that I made from the first time. Maybe a third time, done properly, will fix it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

rolleyes posted:

I just don't even... but that's... what? :psyduck:

Being volatile, I don't think so. I mean, stuff like the C64 and BBC Micro etc, wouldn't probably still be working if that was the case.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

rolleyes posted:

Like any other computer hardware, RAM can go bad over time, stuck bits and such. But no, it's not like flash which has such a low erase cycle lifetime that the devices are specifically engineered to maximize longevity.

Also, most people haven't had their C64s powered on and doing computation for the past thirty years, so there's not a whole lot that can be derived from the fact that they still work, aside from the fact that they haven't suffered material instability (aside from the bromated platic in the cases).

There is other 80s hardware that has been in service for nearly thirty years though. Mechanical parts (drives, fans) usually have to replaced here and there, but solid state components work fine (except RTCs with integrated batteries, grr).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Bromated plastic and leaky capacitors, anyway.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Like any other computer hardware, RAM can go bad over time, stuck bits and such. But no, it's not like flash which has such a low erase cycle lifetime that the devices are specifically engineered to maximize longevity.

Also, most people haven't had their C64s powered on and doing computation for the past thirty years, so there's not a whole lot that can be derived from the fact that they still work, aside from the fact that they haven't suffered material instability (aside from the bromated platic in the cases).

There is other 80s hardware that has been in service for nearly thirty years though. Mechanical parts (drives, fans) usually have to replaced here and there, but solid state components work fine (except RTCs with integrated batteries, grr).

Yeah plus a lot of those computers have in fact broken over the years, and gone off to the landfill. Sure there's 2 million Commodore 64s still working or whatever, but there's 15 million others that aren't.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Whoah, Pandora finally has lock screen controls, only 16 months after lock screen controls became part of the API.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Can anyone recommend me a good app that can locate your phone? I want something I can totally rely on.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good app that can locate your phone? I want something I can totally rely on.

Cerberus. Well worth the money.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Glasgow Kiss posted:

It's almost scary what you can do with it. It tracked my phone's location down to the house I was in. You can uninterruptable messages to the phone, lock the phone with a PIN (and even take pictures and forward them to your email if they get the password wrong), and do all sorts of things. It's incredibly useful and potentially terrifying to a thief if they didn't know you can make your phone read out messages you send remotely.

e: Forgot to mention you can remotely wipe it if you think a guy is trying to get sensitive information on it.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Is there an e-reader app that isn't complete laggy garbage?

My mom found her ridiculous collection of ebooks and I've been downloading a bunch of readers and none of them perform well. It's honestly a blast from the past because I forgot what a full second of input lag was like, but waiting for pages to turn is ridiculous.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Alidko always worked pretty well for me. I haven't used it for quite some time, so it might have turned to butt though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I've been using Aldiko for the past month or so. There's a paid and lite version of the app, and the lite version had everything I wanted. Bookmarks, find/search function, text size. It's worked perfectly and there's a bit of page lag, about half a second. It's never really bothered me though. It at least feels quicker than the handheld readers.

buglord fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 2, 2013

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Avocados posted:

I've been using Aldiko for the past month or so. There's a paid and lite version of the app, and the lite version had everything I wanted. Bookmarks, find/search function, text size. It's worked perfectly and there's a bit of page lag, about half a second. It's never really bothered me though. It at least feels quicker than the handheld readers.

I've used readers without that lag though. I can't remember what it was called. On a much shittier phone, too. And the half second is much more like a full second and a gigantic annoyance

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

What apps do people recommend to see what's keeping my phone awake? It went through a round of Play Store updates the other day and now it periodically gets insanely hot and drains the battery because something's preventing it from sleeping.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 2, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

What apps do people recommend to see what's keeping my phone awake? It went through a round of Play Store updates the other day and now it periodically gets insanely hot and drains the battery because something's preventing it from sleeping.

LastInLine posted:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

That'll teach me to skim the thread! :downs:

Cheers.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nigga crab pollock posted:

My mom found her ridiculous collection of ebooks and I've been downloading a bunch of readers and none of them perform well. It's honestly a blast from the past because I forgot what a full second of input lag was like, but waiting for pages to turn is ridiculous.

If her eBook collection is ePubs, the Nook app can load them. Just put them in /Nook/My Documents.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
re: memory usage

Not long ago, I had a problem on my Galaxy Nexus with apps being forced out of memory every time I switched out of them to something else. Like if I switched from Chrome to Talk to answer a message and then back to Chrome, it would completely reload. This would happen every time.

The cause was Zooper widget (a make your own widget toolkit kind of app). It was using hundreds of MB of ram. I am not sure why it was staying in memory and forcing other apps out, but it was kind of a pain in the rear end. Once I uninstalled it, everything worked like it should.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

So annoyingly by the time I managed to install Better Battery Stats and figure out how to use it, the problem seemed to have gone away. However, in the history I do see a huge partial wakelock for AlarmManager. Anyone have any ideas what could have caused that? I appreciate this isn't really the thread for this question but I'm not sure where else to ask.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

re: memory usage

Not long ago, I had a problem on my Galaxy Nexus with apps being forced out of memory every time I switched out of them to something else. Like if I switched from Chrome to Talk to answer a message and then back to Chrome, it would completely reload. This would happen every time.

The cause was Zooper widget (a make your own widget toolkit kind of app). It was using hundreds of MB of ram. I am not sure why it was staying in memory and forcing other apps out, but it was kind of a pain in the rear end. Once I uninstalled it, everything worked like it should.
That's strange. I have two Zooper widgets on my Galaxy Nexus and the app is using 18MB of RAM. What were the widgets displaying?

ZombyWoof
Sep 7, 2012
I use Moon+Reader Pro for my eBook reading. It seems pretty snappy here and supports pretty much every format out there, though admittedly I'm running an SGS2 most phones should easily out-spec that nowadays.

My library is also massive, about 500 odd eBooks on here at the moment and it doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

ZombyWoof posted:

I use Moon+Reader Pro for my eBook reading. It seems pretty snappy here and supports pretty much every format out there, though admittedly I'm running an SGS2 most phones should easily out-spec that nowadays.

It's snappy on an ancient HTC Desire too. It also has a nice dictionary integration feature which I like.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

nigga crab pollock posted:

I use fbreader. It's fast, lots of options, reads just about every format, reads from custom opds online catalogs (I set up one on Dropbox to share my books between my many devices), and best of all its totally free and uncrippled; no money, no "pro" version.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

That's strange. I have two Zooper widgets on my Galaxy Nexus and the app is using 18MB of RAM. What were the widgets displaying?

I remember that I had 3 widgets configured. A large full screen sized on to display on my lock screen that displayed a lot of info like calendars, signal strength, battery life, clock, weather, etc. And 2 more medium sized ones on my home screens that displayed some of the same info. I really don't remember what all I had the configured to display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

poo poo, I hope it's not Zooper. I really like my custom made clock widget. :( I'll back the widget up and uninstall it to see if that helps. Anyone have any good alternatives to Zooper? UCCW?

• Locked thread