Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Bob Log posted:

A few times with whiskeys and the last time someone gave me Wheat Vodka doubleshot on accident I was :nms:puking/making GBS threads blood shortly after with the worst hangover of my life. Part of the issue is I usually find conflicting information about if they re-add the whiskey to the mash or not and what exactly it's made of.

Thanks for that info on the Quinoa whiskey, I'd definitely try that out if I can find some.

I actually have a Wheat/Grain Allergy, which a lot of people don't, they have sensitivities or just say "allergy" but I truly am unfortunately. I'm hesitant to believe when it's distilled from a product I'm straight up allergic to that it will be free of aggravating factors, and a night of celebratory drinking is not worth the pain.

Totally get it, I'm not super allergic but I also haven't tried any normal whiskey/bourbon since these allergies/sensitivities developed. Do you have any safe brands of vodka that you've tried and enjoyed? What about other spirits? That quinoa whiskey looks pretty awesome actually, wish it was close by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
99.9999999% of allergies are reactions to proteins. Liquor, and especially vodka is distilled. Proteins are completely 100% removed by distillation. The ingredients, if listed, on a vodka bottle would be: 1. water. 2. ethyl alcohol. End of list.

So. Is it possible you actually had a reaction to something else you ate that day - or possibly just drank too much?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Or find some potato vodka

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm sick of buying cheap basters at the supermarket. I only use one maybe 2-3 times a year, but sitting in my drawer they dry rot and barely last a year.

Anyone have a recommendation for nicer one?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just use a spoon.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just use these as single-use basters. Use it and toss it. At the rate you use them, they should last the rest of your natural life!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm sick of buying cheap basters at the supermarket. I only use one maybe 2-3 times a year, but sitting in my drawer they dry rot and barely last a year.

Anyone have a recommendation for nicer one?

I bought a halfway decent baster at Target that I use ironically for my fish aquariums on an almost daily basis and going on a year now without signs of wear. I rinse it off after each use and it looks practically new.

No, I do not use it for kitchen use.. I have another identical baster for that but it does not take the same beating as the fish baster, that one is rarely used so it does not qualify for the stands up to the daily wear and tear test.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Are certain types of cutting boards supposed to be used for certain foods? I.e. wood, plastic etc. I think I read somewhere that you're not supposed to cut meat on a wooden board because it soaks up the juices/bacteria but I'm not sure if that's bs or not.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Don Volante posted:

Are certain types of cutting boards supposed to be used for certain foods? I.e. wood, plastic etc. I think I read somewhere that you're not supposed to cut meat on a wooden board because it soaks up the juices/bacteria but I'm not sure if that's bs or not.

Depends on whom you ask. Food Network people will tell you that plastic is safer, and to some degree that is true, but it also feels like poo poo to cut on. Someone at UC Davis studied it and found out that, yes, while new plastic boards can be sanitized effectively, well worn boards cannot due to the deep grooves caused by knife use. Wooden boards had the tendency to pull the bacteria into wood and desiccate it and actually self sanitize if allowed to dry completely between uses. Wood also self heals knife cuts, especially end grain type boards and can be refinished (assuming you buy a sufficiently thick one). They also have hella better feel to cut on. There is another type of board, the sani-tuff board, which has a more woodlike feel to use, and is made of hard rubber which self heals like an end grain cutting board. Because of this, it can be sanitized effectively with a solution like starsan like a plastic board. They can also be refinished.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Wood boards are also much heavier and thus stay put better. Also I just like their look a lot more.

Get a wood board, clean it often, get walnut preserve and clean it with a bleach solution, rinse it, dry it, then apply the preserve maybe every month.

edit: I have this board

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MDD1A6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not great for "cut and push to the side of the board" but it's great for "Cut things on the board and use prep bowls like you're not lazy"

To oil I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFSV9/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: VVVV I guess, but you'd still be using a plastic board then.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

There is a solution for the slipping board problem, and it works for all kinds of boards: A damp paper towel placed between the board and your counter.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Very interesting article from UC Davis about this. To reinforce what Gravity said:

quote:

New plastic surfaces allowed the bacteria to persist, but were easily cleaned and disinfected. However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present. Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic surfaces from knife cuts.

I'm glad glass cutting boards weren't mentioned because they dull the gently caress out of your knives, and wondered if they were even still a thing so I googled them and one of the top results from the Bed, Bath and Beyond website had this gem of a comment:

quote:

Well, this cutting board would have received 5 stars however I cut my thumb off using it.
The best part of this unfortunate situation is that the blood cleaned off very fast!!!!

Also, I have a cutting board question. I got a very nice, sturdy bamboo cutting board for Christmas and I'd like to take care of it and make it last. Alton Brown suggests oiling it using food grade mineral oil. What's the purpose of this? I use it, wash it, and let it air dry completely before storing it. What does the oil do?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

The Midniter posted:

Very interesting article from UC Davis about this. To reinforce what Gravity said:

I'm glad glass cutting boards weren't mentioned because they dull the gently caress out of your knives, and wondered if they were even still a thing so I googled them and one of the top results from the Bed, Bath and Beyond website had this gem of a comment:

Also, I have a cutting board question. I got a very nice, sturdy bamboo cutting board for Christmas and I'd like to take care of it and make it last. Alton Brown suggests oiling it using food grade mineral oil. What's the purpose of this? I use it, wash it, and let it air dry completely before storing it. What does the oil do?

Oiling it would keep it some what moist, I imagine. It would chip and the like quicker without.

Quick question:

If preparing a meal and trying to stick to one pan/skillet, whats the proper order to cook? GF bought me a jar of Chinese Black Beans and I made beef, broccoli, and carrot with black bean sauce last night. It tasted pretty good, but the meat was over cooked. Safflower oil, cooked some garlic in it on medium heat, then cooked the beef, then cranked it for the black beans and veggies. Lazy and didn't take the meat out is probably my problem, but it was good none the less. But, could be better, which is what I want!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Oiling it would keep it some what moist, I imagine. It would chip and the like quicker without.

Quick question:

If preparing a meal and trying to stick to one pan/skillet, whats the proper order to cook? GF bought me a jar of Chinese Black Beans and I made beef, broccoli, and carrot with black bean sauce last night. It tasted pretty good, but the meat was over cooked. Safflower oil, cooked some garlic in it on medium heat, then cooked the beef, then cranked it for the black beans and veggies. Lazy and didn't take the meat out is probably my problem, but it was good none the less. But, could be better, which is what I want!

Yeah, oiling basically conditions the wood. Getting wet, then drying, then wet, drying, etc, day in day out takes its toll on wood and eventually it will crack. The oil helps prevent that. It also keeps the grains flexible and aids with "healing" properties of wood boards.

When stir frying on a standard stovetop I like to do things in batches, that way you don't over cook any given component of the dish. The problem with doing in on a conventional range is that you just don't have enough thermal energy to cook everything though in the 3-5 min it should take to cook a real stir fry. You can get around this by cooking the meat to medium doneness, reserving, allowing the pan to recover, adding veg one at a time (to medium doneness again) and reserving while the pan recovers between each, then doing them all at the very end with the sauce should bring everything to perfect doneness and heat everything through. I will usually use a gigantic soup bowl to reserve everything with in between each step, then just dump it all in at the end.

These days, though, I have an outdoor burner I use as a wok burner, and if you really want to do it right, I would totally recommend going that route. I just use a Jet Burner SP1, it's only like, 35bux, and I think it is totally worth it. I also use it to roast coffee outside and deep fry so I don't stink up my house.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Most recipes I've read for stirfrying say to remove the beef. Some tell you to push it up on the sides, which works if you have a big wok and as I understand it the "real" way to do it.

But yeh, leaving it in will definitely overcook it like Gravity said. However I've never done the vegetables in batches, that's an interesting idea.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Someone at UC Davis studied it and found out that, yes, while new plastic boards can be sanitized effectively, well worn boards cannot due to the deep grooves caused by knife use.
Cannot by hand. One of the advantages to using a poly board that hasn't been mentioned is that you can just toss them into the dishwasher, which will actually literally pasteurise them (assuming your dishwasher isn't hosed up).

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I have a couples pieces of leftover lox. Feeling a breakfast for dinner type of night but I wanna do something else other than lox and creamcheese on a bagel or eggs benedict. Thoughts?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Good deal. No wok, just a skillet. But if I keep half assing Chinese food maybe my Chinese girlfriend will bring a wok with her one night.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
If you feel like doing some work lox works well in crepes, if you don't then it's decent in salads.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Hey ya'll, I am a terrible cook so keep that in mind. My :siren: GIRLFRIEND :siren: put four frozen lamb(? She lives on a farm, it's full of random meat) shoulder chops in the microwave to defrost them, but accidently just microwaved them instead. Any way we can salvage them? They're not cooked the whole way through.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sir Jebus posted:

Hey ya'll, I am a terrible cook so keep that in mind. My :siren: GIRLFRIEND :siren: put four frozen lamb(? She lives on a farm, it's full of random meat) shoulder chops in the microwave to defrost them, but accidently just microwaved them instead. Any way we can salvage them? They're not cooked the whole way through.

How much are we talking about here? Like a pound or two?

I'd give up trying to eat them rare and braise them in onions, garlic, red wine, stock, bay leaf, thyme and black peppercorn then serve them with good mashed potatoes and wilted greens.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Good deal. No wok, just a skillet. But if I keep half assing Chinese food maybe my Chinese girlfriend will bring a wok with her one night.

A wok isn't as useful without one of those giant jet burners.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

tarepanda posted:

A wok isn't as useful without one of those giant jet burners.

They're still nice to cook with on with a gas stove. You might not be able to get the finger-melting searing heat of a stir fry but I find it more fun to cook with than a flat pan.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

How much are we talking about here? Like a pound or two?

I'd give up trying to eat them rare and braise them in onions, garlic, red wine, stock, bay leaf, thyme and black peppercorn then serve them with good mashed potatoes and wilted greens.

This. And since you say you're a terrible cook, specifically by braise he means:

put in pot or ovensafe dish, add the stuff he mentions and cook (partly covered on the stove at a low simmer, or better, in a 300F oven, covered) for about three hours - until you can pull tasty chunks of meat away from the rest of the chop with a fork. Skim the fat off the sauce with a spoon, taste the sauce, adjust the salt if necessary.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
A recipe calls for rock salt to brine some potatoes, but all I have is kosher and iodized sea salt. Would the kosher be a suitable substitute? I really want to try this stuff today. :(

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

kinmik posted:

A recipe calls for rock salt to brine some potatoes, but all I have is kosher and iodized sea salt. Would the kosher be a suitable substitute? I really want to try this stuff today. :(

Depends on if the recipe is measured in weight or in volume. The former should work fine. The latter, not so much.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you're dissolving it into brine it shouldn't matter? Just be careful because a cup of kosher salt is saltier than a cup of rock salt because of the physical size of the grains. (Think of how a whole banana fills a cup but if you peel and mash it its a half cup of banana)

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Thanks, I'll take both of your replies into account. :D

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

This is why recipes by weight own and recipes by volume suck.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Is that an imperial fuckload of garlic or metric?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

pile of brown posted:

Is that an imperial fuckload of garlic or metric?

About how many imperial fuckloads of garlic are in a pantload?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Also reminds me of asking chef why the unit we order carrots in is a "table" (turns out that's the name of one of the sizes but I was confused)

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
A shitload is always exactly sixteen.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Picked up a lamb shoulder for dirt cheap in an after-Easter sale. I'm planning on butchering it into steaks, stew meat, etc. Anyone have suggestions on dishes to make? I've only ever roasted lamb whole and made lamb chops before, and it's usually too expensive for me to make at home. Love lamb in Indian and Middle Eastern food, though.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

I'm new to cooking and storing food, but I assume that the ground beef I had in my fridge that is now brown isn't safe to cook and eat. I saw in YLLS a food storage image that a few have said is wrong but is there a good source on how long to keep certain foods at certain temperatures? Also, since I'm only assuming, is my ground beef not safe? I've had it in the fridge for ~ 2 weeks and was able to start cooking it for dinner when I noticed how it looked and figured I'd ask before killing myself with unsafe meat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A lot of beef turns brown and is still safe to eat, it's oxidation. The real test is if it starts smelling funky or if the beef feels slimy or sticky.

Two weeks is really pushing it though.

Cor Geal
Aug 2, 2012
I generally use http://www.stilltasty.com/ to check stuff, it seems reasonable and matches with what I'd guess for a lot of things. Someone else can chime in if it turns out the site's actually terrible.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

CanUSayGym posted:

I'm new to cooking and storing food, but I assume that the ground beef I had in my fridge that is now brown isn't safe to cook and eat. I saw in YLLS a food storage image that a few have said is wrong but is there a good source on how long to keep certain foods at certain temperatures? Also, since I'm only assuming, is my ground beef not safe? I've had it in the fridge for ~ 2 weeks and was able to start cooking it for dinner when I noticed how it looked and figured I'd ask before killing myself with unsafe meat.

If it's been two weeks, It will probably stink when you open it up. Fresh ground beef should have a barely noticable non-offensive smell. If it stinks and makes you slightly pukey to smell it, it's gone off.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone have a good english muffin recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

My girlfriend bought a bag of individually frozen tilapia fillets and left it in the fridge for a few days; they consequently thawed. I threw them back into the freezer as soon as I noticed what horrible deed she wrought, will they still be good?