Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
About Miiverse: can you save a post as draft, so that you can finish it later?

Also, can you use the joypad headphone jack for listening to the console audio without connecting it directly to the TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

limaCAT posted:

About Miiverse: can you save a post as draft, so that you can finish it later?

No.

limaCAT posted:

Also, can you use the joypad headphone jack for listening to the console audio without connecting it directly to the TV?

Only if the game supports directing the sound through the gamepad.

Page sniped.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

There is now a thread for Miiverse and online multiplayer on Wii U. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541647

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Finally some good sales news. Wii U sales in the UK are up 125%. It's not brilliant (double of not much is still not much), but I think this is the first upturn in sales since launch.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Moogle posted:

I remember back when the N64 came out my friend bought one and it sat there for weeks without any games, during which period I gently mocked him for buying such an attractive paperweight.

Wasn't the N64 released with Mario64, an incredible platforming game that was completely unique at the time? I'm pretty sure I got mine at launch with the game packed in even, then again I live in Europe so we probably got a later release.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

BioTech posted:

Wasn't the N64 released with Mario64, an incredible platforming game that was completely unique at the time? I'm pretty sure I got mine at launch with the game packed in even, then again I live in Europe so we probably got a later release.

The NES, SNES and N64 all launched with a Super Mario game. That only stopped with the Gamecube.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That only stopped with the Gamecube.

The console which launched with three games in Japan. Three.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
There wasn't any bundle, he just got the console. No games. I can't remember why, but he didn't get Mario for a long old while, and that's all there was. Probably didn't have it at the local shops, you know, back in the dark ages before Amazon.

This is a bit of a derail though; this is to say I am not particularly impressed with their launch, and the WiiU gathers dust. Sucks, but there it is. I'm relatively confident it'll pick up when they get hold of a shinier Zelda or Metroid. In the meantime, I find the base functionality of the console sadly lacking.

I just don't understand how they continue to not get this right, and from the sales neither does anybody else.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Moogle posted:

I just don't understand how they continue to not get this right, and from the sales neither does anybody else.

Because Nintendo pulled a Sony and thought their 100 million casual gamerbase would immediately go out and buy WiiU. The difference being that instead of being overpriced, the casual gamer still thinks WiiU is just a tablet accessory for something they bought six years ago.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Moogle posted:

There wasn't any bundle, he just got the console. No games. I can't remember why, but he didn't get Mario for a long old while, and that's all there was. Probably didn't have it at the local shops, you know, back in the dark ages before Amazon.

This is a bit of a derail though; this is to say I am not particularly impressed with their launch, and the WiiU gathers dust. Sucks, but there it is. I'm relatively confident it'll pick up when they get hold of a shinier Zelda or Metroid. In the meantime, I find the base functionality of the console sadly lacking.

I got the N64 for Xmas after release in the us and had to wait half a year before I could buy a game. Not because they were expensive, there were NO games in the stores here. Unless you constantly called and could be to a store in 5 minutes you were boned.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

BioTech posted:

Also Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire came out fairly early I think? That was my only Nintendo 64 game for like a year.

Still my favorite Star Wars game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

BioTech posted:

Wasn't the N64 released with Mario64, an incredible platforming game that was completely unique at the time?

Yes, that and Pilotwings.

And nothing else... at all.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

njsykora posted:

Finally some good sales news. Wii U sales in the UK are up 125%. It's not brilliant (double of not much is still not much), but I think this is the first upturn in sales since launch.

Thanks, Capcom.

Thapcom.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If your console launches with a can't miss game, people tend to ignore the lack of games. At least back in the day where you didn't have geek binges where they try to beat a game in two days just to say they did and sell it for as high value as possible at GameStop.

I remember I got my Nintendo 64 at Christmas of 96. I had Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey. By my birthday in February of 97 I got Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64. I rented a lot of games but I didn't own another until Christmas of 97 when I got GoldenEye and Diddy Kong Racing. I think I bought a stolen copy of Mystical Ninja 64 as well around that time. Looking at the release list in 1998 I don't believe I bought a single new game and just picked up used copies of Star Fox 64 and the like. I think I got Diddy Kong Racing for my birthday in 1998. With the expensive cost to buy games in :canada: for the Nintendo 64 (Some games retailed for $129.99) it just made more sense to rent.

For Gamecube, a lot of people got Smash Bros. Melee at Christmas and then didn't give a flying gently caress about the game release cycle. That's all they played. For me I didn't have a lot of games until the RPGs started coming out (Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, Paper Mario) and then I just bought other games used. Double Dash is the only Mario Kart game I never owned.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Lizard Wizard posted:

Thanks, Capcom.

Thapcom.

Don't forget to thank HMV for selling the console for £140.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If your console launches with a can't miss game, people tend to ignore the lack of games. At least back in the day where you didn't have geek binges where they try to beat a game in two days just to say they did and sell it for as high value as possible at GameStop.

I remember I got my Nintendo 64 at Christmas of 96. I had Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey. By my birthday in February of 97 I got Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64. I rented a lot of games but I didn't own another until Christmas of 97 when I got GoldenEye and Diddy Kong Racing. I think I bought a stolen copy of Mystical Ninja 64 as well around that time. Looking at the release list in 1998 I don't believe I bought a single new game and just picked up used copies of Star Fox 64 and the like. I think I got Diddy Kong Racing for my birthday in 1998. With the expensive cost to buy games in :canada: for the Nintendo 64 (Some games retailed for $129.99) it just made more sense to rent.

For Gamecube, a lot of people got Smash Bros. Melee at Christmas and then didn't give a flying gently caress about the game release cycle. That's all they played. For me I didn't have a lot of games until the RPGs started coming out (Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, Paper Mario) and then I just bought other games used. Double Dash is the only Mario Kart game I never owned.

This entire post is completely anecdotal. People have always binged through games. There were people who would play 40 hour jRPGS nonstop until they beat them-- the same behavior as today but with PS1 Final Fantasy games instead of the 4-6 hour cover shooters of today. And I remember the lack of games on the N64 being a problem that people talked about, even in games journalism back then.

The difference isn't in attitude but rather how people talked about. Now we all get on the internet and bitch about games-- everybody can be a lot more vocal about how unhappy they are with their systems whereas 20 years ago it was just a group of four friends complaining about it and jokes at publisher's expenses once a month in an EGM or something.

Lack of games is just as noticeable now as then, the internet just gives people a platform to sound off about it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TaurusOxford posted:

Because Nintendo pulled a Sony and thought their 100 million casual gamerbase would immediately go out and buy WiiU. The difference being that instead of being overpriced, the casual gamer still thinks WiiU is just a tablet accessory for something they bought six years ago.

This is actually more of a Nintendo pulling a Nintendo, just the Nintendo of 1996.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

Lack of games is just as noticeable now as then, the internet just gives people a platform to sound off about it.

I think that there is a more potent lasting effect in addition to what you are saying. Remember that gamers are not the only ones browsing social networking sites, gaming journalism sites, and even forums like this one and others. Developers, publishers, investors, etc...they all get in this mix too and reading the opinions of these loud and vocal unhappy people can cause some of them to get sucked into a type of narrative which may not reflect the opinions and feelings of those in the majority. Or at least, it may make it seem like there are not many other opinions out there to consider.

While still important, don't think for a second that office politics and investment decisions are based on facts alone. Far from it.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

I think that there is a more potent lasting effect in addition to what you are saying. Remember that gamers are not the only ones browsing social networking sites, gaming journalism sites, and even forums like this one and others. Developers, publishers, investors, etc...they all get in this mix too and reading the opinions of these loud and vocal unhappy people can cause some of them to get sucked into a type of narrative which may not reflect the opinions and feelings of those in the majority. Or at least, it may make it seem like there are not many other opinions out there to consider.

While still important, don't think for a second that office politics and investment decisions are based on facts alone. Far from it.

What other opinions are there to consider? Sales figures and scarce releases are hard facts.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gutcruncher posted:

Yes, that and Pilotwings.

And nothing else... at all.

And it was one of the best release launches god drat it. :colbert: With games that good why do you need anything else?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Toady posted:

What other opinions are there to consider? Sales figures and scarce releases are hard facts.

The reasons behind those facts are important. Those reasons can shine light upon how much more demand there would be if say..a publisher decided to release a certain game on the system as well as the potential profit. That is the type of thing where opinions will vary a lot and those who are the loudest can often make it seem like their opinion is the most wide spread despite the reality. It really is no different than how this sort of thing works when it comes to just about any controversial topic on the internet.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I guess what I don't agree with is the implication that publishers aren't targeting the Wii U because they've been swayed by angry forum posts and office politics.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Toady posted:

I guess what I don't agree with is the implication that publishers aren't targeting the Wii U because they've been swayed by angry forum posts and office politics.

It's more that game designers are the exact same people as those who post on forums. The problem isn't that game designers are swayed by forums bickering, but game designers have the same priorities as the general gaming public.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Toady posted:

Yeah. I think the only thing a publisher really considers when deciding whether or not to release a game is the number of console units sold

e: Outside of logistical issues, but the way game media is currently distributed you're not gonna see materials really cause a publisher to balk to release a game (like the old cds vs. cartridge problem).

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 2, 2013

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Toady posted:

Alone? Of course not. That wasn't my point.

Don't forget investors and their influence. Don't forget how much they can be swayed by positive and negative hype trains. It's not black and white. No one with any sense ignores facts and allows their dollars to be based on internet and office nonsense alone. However, you will be hard pressed to find people who only consider the facts because many of them are trying to predict the future where no facts exist yet. Those predictions (usually surrounding various types of demand and reasons for it) can be heavily impacted by this junk. Especially when the facts alone leave one with decisions to be made whose reasonable options are kinda sitting on the fence. That is the kind of thing I am talking about.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah. I think the only thing a publisher really considers when deciding whether or not to release a game is the number of console units sold
Well, demographics and attention. The Wii had an enormous install base but the fact that nobody at all CARED, even when good games came out, really hurt it.

Everybody just seemed to purposefully forget it - big titles would be announced, and many, many people owned a Wii (not just casuals!), but there would be little to no conversation about them online. Nintendo's horrific 2008/2009 release schedule seemed to make everyone not even bother to check if there was anything worth playing on their Wii.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Well, demographics and attention. The Wii had an enormous install base but the fact that nobody at all CARED, even when good games came out, really hurt it.

Everybody just seemed to purposefully forget it - big titles would be announced, and many, many people owned a Wii (not just casuals!), but there would be little to no conversation about them online. Nintendo's horrific 2008/2009 release schedule seemed to make everyone not even bother to check if there was anything worth playing on their Wii.

Well, major publishers were still putting games out on the Wii-- they got games from EA, Activision, SEGA, etc. The Wii didn't get the same big games as the PS3 and 360 because the hardware just wasn't there to make those games work. That problem was out of the hands of publishers; they were forced to release downgraded ports and low-overhead games instead.

That problem doesn't necessarily exist with the Wii U-- the hardware is at least better than the 360 and PS3, and the only thing preventing games coming out is that there aren't enough units to justify the cost of making the games. Which means no games which means no units sold.

The solution to break that cycle is for Nintendo to open up their wallet, which they aren't apparently willing to do if Rayman Legends is any indication.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

The solution to break that cycle is for Nintendo to open up their wallet, which they aren't apparently willing to do if Rayman Legends is any indication.

That and push out more 1st party titles which sell units. Still opening up the wallet but in a different way.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Soul Glo posted:

I think they are but they're really, really slow to do it, both with their own projects and external projects. I'm thinking they're running into some "oh poo poo" moments ala the 3DS and have many more projects going on than they lead on but are either staggering their announcements via Nintendo Direct or waiting until E3 to let things loose. Either way they're off to a really slow start and developers seem to, for the most part, only want to commit with ports since it's cheaper for them to do. I think a good early viable test for 3rd parties is to see how well Lego City Undercover does.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I finally have a Wii U and I'm very pleased with it. I enjoy playing Mario and Bit Trip on the tablet when someone else is watching tv. I love seeing Mario in HD finally. I really like the fact that my wife will play Nintendoland with me since the controller makes it seem more like her tablet. I'm also very pleased with the graphics of Need for Speed, and while the Playstation 4 is clearly superior graphically, the Wii U is capable of some very enjoyable graphics. With the Wii, I could barely ignore the lack of HD resolution.

In other words, I think the Wii U will do fine once Nintendo gets some more games released and announced, especially with a price drop.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 2, 2013

Krnau
Nov 16, 2012
I pre-ordered the Wii U + Nintendoland bundle before release, also bought NSMBU later and I have not played the console pretty much at all, now that I finally got my Wii Remotes from China I can start playing my Wii games I have been trying to collect since I never had a Wii nor have I played any of the games. Already bought Pikmin1&2, Resident Evil 4 and waiting for my Zelda Twilight Princess + Skyward Sword and Red Steel 2 to arrive. Still looking for the SMB Galaxy games and Metroid Trilogy atleast. I most likely won't be buying any multiplatformers on the console since in my opinion the main selling point of all the Nintendo consoles has been the Nintendo-only exclusives. I most likely should have just waited till the games started rolling in but I am sure I can kill the time with the Wii library of games.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The NES, SNES and N64 all launched with a Super Mario game. That only stopped with the Gamecube.

Well, if you count Luigi's Mansion then the process stopped with the Wii. Still, the GameCube had a rather good launch with that and Wave Race from Nintendo, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2 and Super Monkey Ball from 3rd parties, and Smash Brothers and Pikmin a month later.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I recall 3-5 years ago I'd look around on varius forums and news sites that showed up, and see people always commenting: "Oh well when [whatever new good looking Wii game) comes out it'll finally give me a reason to stop my Wii from collecting dust which it has done for 3 years now!" And then a few months after that game came out something else would come out, and the same people would say: "Oh I can't wait for [next new game] to come out, It'll give me a reason to turn on my Wii which has never been turned on in 4-5 years now!" And then several months later some other game would come out and the SAME people would be posting these things.

I made an account on one site and asked a guy why he hadn't gotten these last 3-4 games that came out that everyone was looking forward to and he'd be like: "Well I just figured I wouldn't bother with it and wait til another game came out." I had a few friends with Wiis that I tried to get to buy games like No More Heroes and they would just be: "Eh... I dunno I think I might want to buy this PS3 game that just came out and only has a rating of 60/100 instead because it still looks cool." People seemed utterly commited to not even buying games they acted excited about on the Wii.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I remember Giantbombs Xenoblade quicklook, where they said 'Every time we do one of these Wii Quicklooks, we keep saying that this is the last game worth getting for Wii. How many times have we played the 'last good Wii game?'"

For the last couple years, every single good Wii game that comes out is "The Wiis last gasp!" "The Wii going out on a high note!" "The last Wii game worth getting forever!" I understand it wasnt getting releases as often as the other two, but what the hell, Gaming Journalism?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

MaxDuo posted:

I recall 3-5 years ago I'd look around on varius forums and news sites that showed up, and see people always commenting: "Oh well when [whatever new good looking Wii game) comes out it'll finally give me a reason to stop my Wii from collecting dust which it has done for 3 years now!" And then a few months after that game came out something else would come out, and the same people would say: "Oh I can't wait for [next new game] to come out, It'll give me a reason to turn on my Wii which has never been turned on in 4-5 years now!" And then several months later some other game would come out and the SAME people would be posting these things.

I made an account on one site and asked a guy why he hadn't gotten these last 3-4 games that came out that everyone was looking forward to and he'd be like: "Well I just figured I wouldn't bother with it and wait til another game came out." I had a few friends with Wiis that I tried to get to buy games like No More Heroes and they would just be: "Eh... I dunno I think I might want to buy this PS3 game that just came out and only has a rating of 60/100 instead because it still looks cool." People seemed utterly commited to not even buying games they acted excited about on the Wii.

Well I sure as hell know that my Wii has been untouched for literally 2 years. When I bought on on release, after a short burst of initial excitement it gathered dust for a year before I sold it.
My 3DS has been sitting unused since December 2011...
Nothing that's came out on either system appealed to me. Games I was excited for upon release had serious flaws that just sapped the will to even try them (mostly revolving around controls).
I held off the WiiU cause I'm not making the same mistake thrice, and at the moment I'm glad I did.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jut posted:

My 3DS has been sitting unused since December 2011...

Kid Icarus: Uprising, Etrian Odyssey IV, Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate, Fire Emblem Awakening, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Virtue's Last Reward, Layton and the Miracle Mask, New SMB 2, and Resident Evil: Revelations have came out in that time period. If none of those games appeal to you, maybe you don't like video games as much as you think.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Anyone who doesn't like Professor Layton games is a bad person.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

deadwing posted:

Kid Icarus: Uprising, Etrian Odyssey IV, Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate, Fire Emblem Awakening, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Virtue's Last Reward, Layton and the Miracle Mask, New SMB 2, and Resident Evil: Revelations have came out in that time period. If none of those games appeal to you, maybe you don't like video games as much as you think.

Most of those games honestly don't interest me either. Some of them are very well-produced for their genre and it's a matter of taste (e.g. "I played the predecessor and though it was mediocre, so I'm not paying full-price for a sequel"), others just have issues that kill my interest (Sticker Star was a disappointment, the New Super Mario games are bewilderingly unfun, Monster Hunter 3 doesn't really have anything going for it over the WiiU version other than portability on a 3-hour battery system). Then again I didn't buy my 3DS so I guess I don't feel compelled to defend its library.

EDIT: This isn't the 3DS thread so I'm sticking to that post and refusing to derail further.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

deadwing posted:

Exciting European edition!

Edit:
Yeah, thought this was the 3DS thread too. So, ignore and proceed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I can honestly say that the Wii was my most played console of the previous generation. There was so little on the PS3 and 360 that appealed to me that they were the dust gatherers for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

If it werent for the fighting games, Id be the same way. One factor for this though is that I have a gaming PC, which again besides the fighting/beatemup games makes PS3s and 360s mostly obsolete.

• Locked thread