Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I remember seeing these guys all over the place in the early '90s.

And not having a clue what they were or what company they represented.
Even though I had one of these, which in retrospect had a design that seemed designed to get the rider mocked.

Kind of a shame, since I could have had something more neon eXtreme, like this.

I guess Vision had a lot of great designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the tits
Mar 17, 2011

mophymophymophy

QPZIL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYpuvVeSqO8

This show scared the eveloving bajeezus out of me as a child.

Along with Unsolved Mysteries, this show scared the poo poo out of me on a weekly basis:

It was all re-enactments of people starting off a normal day and then getting stabbed or shot or getting trapped in a house on fire. I'm pretty sure that ~90% of all nightmares I had through the age of 12 or so were a direct result of Rescue 911 and Unsolved Mysteries.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
Does anyone remember those "(Blank) Ate My Balls" websites that were all over Yahoo back in the late 90s? I remember there were ones for Sailor Moon and The Spice Girls. I didn't really understand it at 9 years old, I just remember seeing a picture of Sporty Spice wih an MS Paint speech bubble saying something like "Let me feast on your scrotum" and being incredibly confused.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tin Miss posted:

Does anyone remember those "(Blank) Ate My Balls" websites that were all over Yahoo back in the late 90s? I remember there were ones for Sailor Moon and The Spice Girls. I didn't really understand it at 9 years old, I just remember seeing a picture of Sporty Spice wih an MS Paint speech bubble saying something like "Let me feast on your scrotum" and being incredibly confused.

For some reason, I want to say that "Mr.T Ate My Balls" was first, but I could be totally wrong.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Jumpstart was my jam, I remember having a bunch of their games (including KnowledgeLand, which I'd completely forgotten existed until being reminded of it by a poster in this thread). Let's see if how many games I can identify from memory...

2nd Grade: There was a frog, I think? I remember one of the activities involved identifying hazard signs and I thought it was the funniest poo poo ever to click the poison sign over and over to make the frog say "P-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-po-po-POIson."
3rd Grade: Already got a screenshot of it linked, your main sidekick was a robot. Strong memories here of a minigame about molecules.
4th Grade: This one was the best. Horror-themed, a bunch of kids had gotten turned into monsters and each minigame challenge was to restore them to their human forms. The pirate minigame owned.
5th Grade: This one was about a skater girl trying to foil an art thief, I think? I remember a minigame where you'd try and avoid the thief's goons on your skateboard, and one where you'd stack crates to break out of a cell once you inevitably hosed up the avoid-the-goons minigame.
6th Grade: You were like environmental secret agents I think? Memories of this one were a little weaker since I was starting to outgrow the franchise.

Also, I'm really surprised that either I missed any mention of it, or nobody's yet remembered WMAC Masters. I didn't have access to pro wrestling when I was between the ages of 5 and 7, but you better believe I watched this poo poo and was a complete mark. Like, I obviously knew that Power Rangers and whatnot were pretend, and sitcoms too, but WMAC Masters was REAL.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
That molecule minigame was the jams. I also remember being unreasonably scared by that maze thing in the 4th grade one.

I was one of those kids.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Check out these tunes, man! It's an advertisement for a "punk" compilation from the 1990s! There's thirty-six tunes on here and they're all great, man!

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

This is amazing. When I think "Punk Music", songs like My Sharona, Karma Chameleon and motherfucking Mickey are certainly the first things that come to mind.

They didn't just miss the point, they straight up mislabeled an 80's Pop CD. :psyduck:

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Zonekeeper posted:

This is amazing. When I think "Punk Music", songs like My Sharona, Karma Chameleon and motherfucking Mickey are certainly the first things that come to mind.

They didn't just miss the point, they straight up mislabeled an 80's Pop CD. :psyduck:

Punk or not, I need this cd.

Now.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

What, you don't remember having Jenny's number tattooed on the side of your head next to your ten-inch spiked mohawk? Spraypainting 'Mike and the Mechanics' on the wall of the town hall, just pissing the man right off?

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Like 1-800-97-JENNY? That jingle's still embedded deeply in my skull, as are all those 10-10-321/1-800-CALL-ATT collect call commercials with Mr. T and OJ Simpson's mother. In third grade my class would fold pieces of paper into mock cellphones, draw on the number keys and speaker holes, and parody those commercials. It's funny how thin modern phones have actually become though nobody predicted the touch screen or the slow death of the folding phone.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I love how often the punk girl says "Yeah!"

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I never thought I'd hear a happy punk rocker say "This has got Huey Lewis and the News!"

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

TunaSpleen posted:

Like 1-800-97-JENNY?

I think Pseudonym is referring to 867-5309.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
Totally forgot one of my favorite things in the 90s.

I was on Prodigy in the early 90s - still remember my login name, even - JBTJ63A (automatically assigned, don't think you were able to create your own). Every weekend I remember downloading the newest Mortal Kombat 2 FAQ, printing it out, and having my dad drive me to the arcade. I'd spend a good 3 hours at the arcade at least every Saturday morning. With that FAQ, everyone would crowd around me.

And then when Mortal Kombat 3 came out, same deal. I'd show up to the arcade with a 20+ page document with some /<-rad ASCII art filling the first page.

I remember Midway would be releasing new versions almost every week with fairly big changes, so you had to get the FAQs online rather than depend on a magazine - and not many people at the time knew what a BBS was, let alone Prodigy, or had even an inkling what an internet account that just gave you a Unix login and Gopher access was. Knowing what they had changed and how to do the new things made every Saturday like Christmas.

I miss those days.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

cletus42o posted:

I was on Prodigy in the early 90s

Holy crap, Prodigy. It was our first ISP when I was like 9 or 10, and I remember vividly reading Usenet newsgroups and chatting on my browser's built-in (lovely) IRC client, or on TalkCity.com. I even remember the first troll I ever met in one of the IRC channels I frequented. His name was OoOoOoOoOoOoO. I have no idea what he did, but I remember being livid and leaving that channel with a bunch of other internet "friends" after that.

Schwa
Jan 16, 2001

I got this title from someone stronger than me.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The whole internet looked like this back in the day :o:

http://oneterabyteofkilobyteage.tumblr.com/

Dig in to that.

<edit> Speaking of 90's poo poo, but cool not campy:

http://suif.stanford.edu/~jeffop/WWW/swom/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwa_%28art%29

Oh man. I've felt for years that I was the only person to remember this.

evanstheone
Jul 4, 2010

TunaSpleen posted:

Like 1-800-97-JENNY? That jingle's still embedded deeply in my skull, as are all those 10-10-321/1-800-CALL-ATT collect call commercials with Mr. T and OJ Simpson's mother. In third grade my class would fold pieces of paper into mock cellphones, draw on the number keys and speaker holes, and parody those commercials. It's funny how thin modern phones have actually become though nobody predicted the touch screen or the slow death of the folding phone.

EIGHT SIX SEVEN FIVE THREE OOOOOH NIIIIEEENEEE

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Zonekeeper posted:

And they also talk like hippies for some reason.

I remember seeing that commercial when it first aired, and at the time I was hugely into punk, so I was pretty much in disbelief when it finished. "Tell 'em about punk!" became a catchphrase for me and my friend.

Cromulent has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Apr 3, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Forktoss posted:

I never thought I'd hear a happy punk rocker say "This has got Huey Lewis and the News!"

I like to think that the people who compiled the CD were going to include some Peter Cetera but left him off because he was too hardcore.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Forktoss posted:

Clearly you've never hung out with me

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So who here was enough of a badass to have built this poo poo:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Different sets, but yes. By the way, you left out a very important part of the K'nex experience. :colbert:

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

I remember being SO excited for this. I joined at my local Blockbuster. You could choose between the SNES (Donkey Kong Country) and Genesis (Judge Dredd), and you'd have a limited amount of time to get as many points as possible. For some reason I decided to go Genesis despite having actually played Donkey Kong Country, and I came in second place at my store by a tiny fraction of points. So close!

All I got for my trouble was a bunch of packs of Marvel cards. :(

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Jonny Angel posted:

Also, I'm really surprised that either I missed any mention of it, or nobody's yet remembered WMAC Masters. I didn't have access to pro wrestling when I was between the ages of 5 and 7, but you better believe I watched this poo poo and was a complete mark. Like, I obviously knew that Power Rangers and whatnot were pretend, and sitcoms too, but WMAC Masters was REAL.

I totally forgot about this show until like last year because of the fact that my local fox affiliate started airing it as filler on Saturday mornings. It was awesome as all hell when it first aired. I was kind of annoyed when they got rid of Shannon Lee, daughter of Bruce Lee, what are you going to do. The story lines were good and that's all that mattered.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Darthemed posted:

I remember seeing these guys all over the place in the early '90s.

And not having a clue what they were or what company they represented.

Flameboy and Wet Willy! They were for a skateboard company called World Industries.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't even have sound turned on and this is still great.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Some of these may be from the 80's but damnit I enjoyed them growing up in the 90's!

I also didn't realize how many websites/blogs/tumblrs were dedicated to the 90's. So much nostalgia :allears:

Small list of things I enjoyed as a kid:

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I remember getting the 90s version of one of these fuckers for Christmas 1992. I drat near burned my finger off the first time I used it. They even had a TV show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohi52r8fGGE

Zack_Gochuck has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Apr 4, 2013

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Holy poo poo, Stephen Biesty and Dunkaroos. After-school dream team right hurr

I discovered that Reboot is now on Netflix, and I watched the pilot episode for the first time in about 15 years or so. Oh my god that show is trying so hard it hurts. The mid 90's technology puns

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

In a smiliar vein:

That book could keep me entertained for hours.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

In a smiliar vein:

I spilled my juice all over the elementary school copy of that book the first time I checked it out so I had to buy the school a new one. They let me keep the damaged one, and I loved that drat thing. I still have it, juice damage and all :3:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

In a smiliar vein:

Everything that guy wrote/illustrated was getting checked out of the library by me on a weekly basis.

Castle:

Underground:

Cathedral:

Apparently they made a PBS show out of Castle too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbPShUpjpg

Your mammoths may vary.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I distinctly remember being 11 years old and wishing that I could draw as well as Macaulay. I still do.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

My 5-year old nephew got this last Christmas:

I thought it was the same original guy, but I guess not...still pretty cool, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I had the Star Wars version at one time.

My favourite books when I was younger were Horrible Histories. I wouldn't have developed any appetite for reading whatsoever if not for that series.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Radio Help posted:

I discovered that Reboot is now on Netflix, and I watched the pilot episode for the first time in about 15 years or so. Oh my god that show is trying so hard it hurts. The mid 90's technology puns

Keep watching! My friend got me the entire series for Christmas this year and I had forgotten how dark and amazing it got starting mid season 2/season 3.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Chunga Lunga... Lungo... whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Milli posted:

Keep watching! My friend got me the entire series for Christmas this year and I had forgotten how dark and amazing it got starting mid season 2/season 3.

Netflix only has up to the end of season 2 on Instant; I don't know why they don't have seasons 3 and 4 up.

So more 90s cartoon shows:

Mummies Alive! intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vhpk7DhZM

I've watched all 42 episodes of this show and I can't remember a single episode. It all blurs together into this weird vague 90's badness, but still better than Johnny Test.

And now for something I don't remember at all but remember watching all the time on saturday mornings:

King Arthur and the Knights of Justice intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjhbOH8m2U

• Locked thread