Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?
Is there any way to turn off the texture map in Doom 64 EX? It's kind of annoying having to tab twice to get the map I want and I didn't see anything in the menu about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

So out of curiosity, are there any easy to follow tutorials for total beginners for making Duke Nukem 3D maps? Something that's easy to follow like that goon authored Doombuilder tutorial posted a few times earlier in the thread. Also, what's the best tool? EDUKE32 comes with... Mapster32, right? I really don't know anything about it.

Do people still read books for this stuff? I know tutorials are pretty good online with videos and all, but THIS BOOK contains pretty much everything you need to know when it comes to using Build for Duke Nukem 3D. I got it for my birthday way back, and my friends and I would pass it around at school and make and exchange maps.

Don't be scared by the 'New' price, used will be just fine and it's pretty cheap. What's more is that most of the sellers for that item are located in USA, which is probably where you are.

I'm not sure if you'll be using Build, but from what I remember it was a piece of cake to use but I've not used anything modern for Duke3d mapping.

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Angelwolf posted:

Do people still read books for this stuff? I know tutorials are pretty good online with videos and all, but THIS BOOK contains pretty much everything you need to know when it comes to using Build for Duke Nukem 3D. I got it for my birthday way back, and my friends and I would pass it around at school and make and exchange maps.

This is how I learned to use Build way back when Duke3D came out.

If you can master everything in here you can easily move to Mapedit for Blood, too, since a lot of the ideas are the same. Mapedit is a lot easier to use, in my opinion.

FuriousGrey fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 1, 2013

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

If you're going to use Build then please beware of drawing lines over each other. In Build it is used to make solid walls not-solid and this effect can screw you over if you don't pay attention. If you make an outer room red (not solid) you get very weird effects and you usually cannot revert it back to white state.

Make a lot of extra saves ;)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Mapster32 is pretty easy to use, if you have any questions that the guides aren't good for post them there and me or I'm sure another Build-user will be happy to help. One of the cool things recently added to Eduke32 was true room over room sectors - like Shadow Warrior and Blood but much much better (and easier to set up) If you keep it simple than it works great with Classic but if you play with the Polymer renderer you can do some crazy things with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

PLAY DOOM 64!

:words:

Now with the miracle of modern technology you can experience this game in the form of Doom 64 EX.

Okay, you've convinced me, I'll check this out. Never played Doom 64 before, between Doom Snes being an awkward lovely port and Quake 64 being just Quake on the 64, I guess I originally thought Doom 64 was just Doom on the 64? And by the time I realized it wasn't, I was playing Quake 2 or Quake 3 already. (Plus, as cool as dual bladed chainsaws are, it just seemed lame and awkward at the time) But this does look pretty nifty, as you said, more like Quake than Doom, but still pretty Doomy. I'll fire it up and blast some poo poo.

Convex posted:

What's worse it already exists, is reportedly 90% complete and sitting unreleased due to legal bullshit. It looked pretty good, too :smith:

Oh god damnit, that looks really awesome. I would have bought that in a heartbeat. As was said, the "goldeneye" we did get was a steaming pile of poo poo. A proper Rare remake would be amazing.

Well, at least we have this:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source

Its just the multiplayer, but it does feel and sound just like classic goldeneye, but on source engine. Check it out!
They even have "original" (lovely texture) versions of maps, and "updated" (retextured) versions. Nice touch!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 1, 2013

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Humans Among Us posted:

If you're going to use Build then please beware of drawing lines over each other. In Build it is used to make solid walls not-solid and this effect can screw you over if you don't pay attention. If you make an outer room red (not solid) you get very weird effects and you usually cannot revert it back to white state.

Make a lot of extra saves ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. If I remember correctly, the way to do room-on-top-of-room is to make the new room, then drag it over the top of the old room.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Pretty much aye. I tended to make the overlapping rooms different sizes so I would be able to tell them apart and not lose the corners under some other bunch of corners.
You had to learn a whole bunch of weird quirky things to make cool levels, manipulating sector effectors (shading or coloring them and facing them different ways), toggling some textures to be '3d' and then raising walls with them in some odd fashion to make space maps and other crazy stuff. Too bad I didn't keep all that old crap that I made many years ago. :P

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

The Kins posted:

New version of Reelism is out. Again, no new features, just bug fixes.

On top of the fixes I posted earlier, this changes the JRPGVille boss room and fixes a bug with a boss talking over himself.

Sadly, with new versions come new bugs: the player can no longer walk above or below monsters. Aside from the tactical implications, it also causes issues in the mall area of Gutrot Island. Specifically, if monsters are above/below you, you can't walk around freely on the first/second floor. I'm sure this would also cause problems in other maps with different floors as well.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CoarsestGrate posted:

Sadly, with new versions come new bugs: the player can no longer walk above or below monsters. Aside from the tactical implications, it also causes issues in the mall area of Gutrot Island. Specifically, if monsters are above/below you, you can't walk around freely on the first/second floor. I'm sure this would also cause problems in other maps with different floors as well.

Are you sure Reelism did this? This is old Doom behavior and makes me think it's a problem with ZDoom's configuration. Check the "Actors are infinitely tall" setting in the ZDoom compatibility options and make sure it's set to 'no.' Likewise, make sure the Compatibility Mode is set to ZDoom (and make sure you have the latest SVN to boot).

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Are you sure Reelism did this? This is old Doom behavior and makes me think it's a problem with ZDoom's configuration. Check the "Actors are infinitely tall" setting in the ZDoom compatibility options and make sure it's set to 'no.' Likewise, make sure the Compatibility Mode is set to ZDoom (and make sure you have the latest SVN to boot).

drat, you were right. I don't even know how that happened, because I was using the previous test version before the new one and it didn't have that problem. Now I'm a little concerned about how my settings changed without my knowledge.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. It's appreciated.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CoarsestGrate posted:

drat, you were right. I don't even know how that happened, because I was using the previous test version before the new one and it didn't have that problem. Now I'm a little concerned about how my settings changed without my knowledge.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. It's appreciated.

Played any legacy WADs recently? ZDoom has a sort of built-in repository of the checksums of popular WADs that require special compatibility flags in order to function properly and automatically sets the options to accommodate it.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Played any legacy WADs recently? ZDoom has a sort of built-in repository of the checksums of popular WADs that require special compatibility flags in order to function properly and automatically sets the options to accommodate it.

As a matter of fact, I did. You learn something new every day.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqBJ7iX5a-o

So it looks like a couple of Dukers (Gambini who's made a bunch of insanely detailed levels and Mikko Sandt who's been making maps for longer than I have, as well as a few others) have come together to make DNF as it was in the 2001 trailer...in Duke3D :stare: Something that eloborate wouldn't be just for an April Fool's day joke so this looks loving amazing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah but that shouldn't change the actual settings and shouldn't have any effect outside of the relevant levels.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah but that shouldn't change the actual settings and shouldn't have any effect outside of the relevant levels.

Yeah, I know, but it's the only thing I can imagine that somehow caused this to happen.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Oh man, reading through this thread has been a real nostalgia trip. Being able to get the Quake rocket launcher in TF2 made me reinstall it again, and I really wish they would add the grenade launcher for Demoman. I've also been playing Reelism and Brutal Doom has been sorta interesting. Also, is there a place to find that Brutal Hexen file again? I know it wasn't finished, but I'd like to run it in Doom and see how far I get. All the links I found were dead.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is Wolfenstein 3D not on Xbox Live Arcade anymore?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jblade posted:

So it looks like a couple of Dukers (Gambini who's made a bunch of insanely detailed levels and Mikko Sandt who's been making maps for longer than I have, as well as a few others) have come together to make DNF as it was in the 2001 trailer...in Duke3D :stare: Something that eloborate wouldn't be just for an April Fool's day joke so this looks loving amazing.

That looks cool. I mean, I enjoyed DNF, but I would love to play the old versions, like the 2001 version, and this looks fantastic.

Edit: Of course, I also like the idea of making new games as mods for old games. I would love to see a Rage mod for Doom.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 2, 2013

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Jblade posted:

Please tell me this is real. I have always LOVED the 2001 trailer and this looks like it's legitimately the game that would have been if that trailer wasn't just a bunch of scripted cutscenes in an otherwise completely unplayable game.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Please tell me this is real. I have always LOVED the 2001 trailer and this looks like it's legitimately the game that would have been if that trailer wasn't just a bunch of scripted cutscenes in an otherwise completely unplayable game.
Yeah, it's real. I have no idea when the release date is, but I think it's before the end of this month.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jblade posted:

I'm thinking that I'll be a lot more satisfied with this as a sequel to DN3D than the official one. The bar isn't really high, but that preview looked great.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm thinking that I'll be a lot more satisfied with this as a sequel to DN3D than the official one. The bar isn't really high, but that preview looked great.

Oh god, I would hope so. The most fun thing to do in DNF is to play the lovely pinball.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Oh god, I would hope so. The most fun thing to do in DNF is to play the lovely pinball.

Oh hey, thanks for reminding me to get Balls of Steel again.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, um, apparently Doom 4 - and Id in general - are kind of hosed. (Kotaku article, but one of those rare things: an actually good Kotaku article)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Those were their ideas for Doom 4? :shepicide:

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Only one way to save id now, rehire John Romero.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Is Id so big that the people in charge have no idea what's going on with one of their few projects for months if not years? That's really dumb if so.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I wish they would just spend their time making more arcadey shooters that rely on tight gameplay and cool scenery to carry them instead of worrying about big, overarching plots or other junk like that. I know I sure as hell don't care about that latter poo poo when it comes to a shootmans game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

So, um, apparently Doom 4 - and Id in general - are kind of hosed. (Kotaku article, but one of those rare things: an actually good Kotaku article)

Yeah, I love Id, I used to live in Dallas, I have immense respect for John Carmack.

But honestly, Id hasn't really put out a "great" game since ... Quake? Even Quake was a bit of a disaster, it collapsed during development and ended up as just a 3D doom reskin because all their design ideas were infeasible. Quake 2 was meh (I know some people like it), Quake 3 was great but purely multi, Wolfenstein was meh, Rage was meh, Doom 3 was pretty good but not as good as Doom 1/2...

Id either needs to give up on games and just make really good engines (which Epic and the Unreal Engine beat them at) or they need to focus on some serious new IP and getting poo poo out the door. They're like Valve at this point, taking forever to make their own darling games, but they don't have Steam printing money like Valve does.

Yodzilla posted:

Is Id so big that the people in charge have no idea what's going on with one of their few projects for months if not years? That's really dumb if so.

Id's management is entirely a clusterfuck. A few years ago, was it with Doom 3 or Rage? There was a huge fight, some people wanted to do more Doom sequels, some people really didn't. I can't remember who said what, but half of the upper management guys threatened "if you don't make the game we want, we're all going to quit" :colbert:

Carmack just kinda does his own thing and tools around between iPhone ports and new Id tech engines, and he's great at that, but he just sorta does his own thing now and is as far away from the actual game development as can be, I think he's sick of it and kinda washed his hands of it. So you have other people just sort of taking his tech and being like "well what should we do now guys?" and you get design by committee which can't make up its mind.

quote:

All of my sources described Id as a company full of talent but lacking direction. Politics and mismanagement at the top of the studio had trickled down and negatively impacted all of their projects

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I wish they would just spend their time making more arcadey shooters that rely on tight gameplay and cool scenery to carry them instead of worrying about big, overarching plots or other junk like that. I know I sure as hell don't care about that latter poo poo when it comes to a shootmans game.

I agree entirely. Rage would have been better as a Doom reskin than a lovely Borderlands.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 3, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

In their defense, ZeniMax going to id and saying "Doom 4 needs to be as big as Skyrim" is fully ludicrous. Nothing good could possibly come of a demand like that. Of course they were making Call of Doom.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
"Space Marine! Pick up that sniper rifle and follow me! We've got a horde of imps attacking a transport in the valley below and we need to clear them out before we can place charges on the Mancubus Cannons that have our dropships pinned down!"

"Oh poo poo it's a Cyberdemon! Space Marine your weapons won't do anything against its titanium armor! There's a cache of rocket launchers in that church over there! Here I'll mark it on your map..."

"Oorah we are Oscar Mike!"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

They still can't get "hoard" vs. "horde" right, though. Journalism!

Anyway, these guys ought to play Doom and Quake again. You don't need talking NPCs, you don't need cutscenes. You want a story? Okay, you have four paragraphs every ten levels to describe what's happening. Make an action game, with action interspersed with action, and with some action on top and a sidedish of action. Don't bother with scripts. All the focus you want to put on story, you should put it on telling the story implicitly -- that is to say, purely through design direction. What the monsters look like, what the levels look like, what the weapons look like.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Like, I get that the higher-ups probably want them to magically poo poo out a game that's going to be known all over the world, but they're definitely not going to out-CoD Call of Duty with anything they do. Soooo...why don't they focus more on the stuff that made them famous like shooters that emphasize running around like a crack addict while crapping out rockets and shells? As someone who enjoys Doom and Quake, I really couldn't care about great graphics or majestic cutscenes. At this point they'd be better off cranking out lower-budget shooters and whatever that focus on points popping out of a demon's skull when you hollow it out or doing silly poo poo like rocketjumping at something tall just so you can punch it in the face. I'm pretty sure that if they get Romero back and convince Zenimax to let them experiment with games more reminiscent of what they made in the past instead of trying to copy the other poo poo out today that's obviously out of their comfort zone then they'll get lots of sales from people who want a break from other, more boring games.

Then again, this could all just be a case of me just not Getting the game industry and how it works these days, so my thoughts probably won't hold any feasible weight or merit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I guess id could take a lesson from the developers of Rise of the Triad.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mak0rz posted:

I guess id could take a lesson from the developers of Rise of the Triad.

Well, yeah. They seem to have their head on straight about what people enjoyed about their games!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Like, I get that the higher-ups probably want them to magically poo poo out a game that's going to be known all over the world, but they're definitely not going to out-CoD Call of Duty with anything they do. Soooo...why don't they focus more on the stuff that made them famous like shooters that emphasize running around like a crack addict while crapping out rockets and shells? As someone who enjoys Doom and Quake, I really couldn't care about great graphics or majestic cutscenes. At this point they'd be better off cranking out lower-budget shooters and whatever that focus on points popping out of a demon's skull when you hollow it out or doing silly poo poo like rocketjumping at something tall just so you can punch it in the face. I'm pretty sure that if they get Romero back and convince Zenimax to let them experiment with games more reminiscent of what they made in the past instead of trying to copy the other poo poo out today that's obviously out of their comfort zone then they'll get lots of sales from people who want a break from other, more boring games.

Then again, this could all just be a case of me just not Getting the game industry and how it works these days, so my thoughts probably won't hold any feasible weight or merit.

You know I would love to see Doom 3 redone like this, make the story tighter to fit with it just being the excuse to go and kill crap, get rid of the Cyberdemons soul cube only crap, maybe add a scoring system, more monsters but less monster CLOSETS, maybe have part of that intro before poo poo gets real involve a training mission against some other marines or something to make it less boring, and finally give a special cutscene if you finish the cyber demon by rocket jumping to punch him.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

tooooooo bad posted:

In their defense, ZeniMax going to id and saying "Doom 4 needs to be as big as Skyrim" is fully ludicrous. Nothing good could possibly come of a demand like that. Of course they were making Call of Doom.

No it really isn't ludicrous. Doom is far more synonymous with FPS than "The Elder Scrolls" is with fantasy RPG. Expecting good performance out of a company they bought on their past sales track record, from a franchise that has always sold well. Doom 1 & 2 both sold millions at a time when pc games weren't selling millions (except myst and flight sim), Doom 3 sold about 3.5 million.

Honestly at this point I am surprised they are sticking with Doom 4 as the title and not just calling it, you know, Doom. They paid a high price for ID, and while part of that price is certainly for the fact that Carmack could finally make them an engine better than the renderware/radiantscripting they've been using in one form or another since Morrowind, most of it is because ID has Doom and Quake, and a team of artists and level designers who are criminally undirected.

quote:

I'm pretty sure that if they get Romero back and convince Zenimax to let them experiment with games more reminiscent of what they made in the past instead of trying to copy the other poo poo out today that's obviously out of their comfort zone then they'll get lots of sales from people who want a break from other, more boring games.

Thats a dubious claim. It'd be a very expensive gamble by Zenimax to do, and its really honestly hard to say if that well dried up with Quake Live or not. You can only remake Wolfenstein 3d (which really has been id's MO) so many times. Copying the other poo poo that is out is basically what the gaming industry has always done, no game is an island. The best games just copy and slightly change poo poo in a way that makes other people go "oh gently caress yeah lets copy that"

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 4, 2013

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Red_Mage posted:

Thats a dubious claim. It'd be a very expensive gamble by Zenimax to do, and its really honestly hard to say if that well dried up with Quake Live or not. You can only remake Wolfenstein 3d (which really has been id's MO) so many times. Copying the other poo poo that is out is basically what the gaming industry has always done, no game is an island. The best games just copy and slightly change poo poo in a way that makes other people go "oh gently caress yeah lets copy that"

I didn't necessarily mean just trying to straight-up remake the old games over again, but to stray from some of the more recent trends in other shooters that try to ground them in 'realism' and all. They were a hell of a lot more successful with making fast-paced, crazy as hell FPS games with lots of projectiles flying around and exploding, so aiming more towards that stuff would probably go better for them. Doom 3 is probably a good example of when they started straying towards the more 'modern' take on FPS games and it sort of suffered for it despite being fairly solid. Rage was also cool, but I'm pretty sure that didn't sell as much as anyone had hoped it would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Red_Mage posted:

Honestly at this point I am surprised they are sticking with Doom 4 as the title and not just calling it, you know, Doom.

Because you can't market anything but the original Doom as just Doom.