Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Gozinbulx posted:

Alright then. Nexus it is..

edit: Actually, I ignored all your advice and got this this bad boy.

That site :psyduck:

In the computer and laptop section there is not a single computer or laptop. There sure are a lot of MP4 players though! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
It has a higher antutu score than the Nexus 7

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It's also got a lower resolution than the Nexus 7, which I'll point out is close to a year old now. It's not like you're going to be using a tablet for breaking encryption or calculating primes or whatever, they're web browsers, media devices and gaming machines. It has a lovely 9.7" 1024x768 screen which is probably an iPad 1 or 2 reject, so text is going to look like rear end. High benchmark scores can also be misleading, because certain things can be optimized to cheat benchmarks but not improve day-to-day use. Speaking of use, the manufacturer only rates run time as 6-7 hours, so you can count on maybe 4 or 5, half of what a non-poo poo tablet would get you.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
So what you're saying is I should buy one, right?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Safe and Secure! posted:

So what you're saying is I should buy one, right?

Two, if you want to be able to use one all day.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If you live in the US, own a Transformer Prime, and want $17 and a free GPS dongle, read here:

https://www.facebook.com/asus.n.america/posts/10151852761872178

It looks like ASUS settled their class action case and anyone who's affected is eligible to get a $17 check and a GPS dongle. Again, you must have the Transformer Prime and live in the US.

ASUS still says the Wi-Fi is fine but admits that the GPS didn't work on the Prime since launch.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you live in the US, own a Transformer Prime, and want $17 and a free GPS dongle, read here:

https://www.facebook.com/asus.n.america/posts/10151852761872178

It looks like ASUS settled their class action case and anyone who's affected is eligible to get a $17 check and a GPS dongle. Again, you must have the Transformer Prime and live in the US.

ASUS still says the Wi-Fi is fine but admits that the GPS didn't work on the Prime since launch.

I'm guess it's no good if we sold or returned the TF201?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
So let's say I want to display textbook pages on a tablet, hassle-free. I want to lay it on a table next to me while I study, without having to reach over to it except to turn the page. I also want the text be big enough to read when displaying a full page.

Is a 10'' tablet the only option?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

uapyro posted:

I'm guess it's no good if we sold or returned the TF201?

I'm guess probably not.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Safe and Secure! posted:

So let's say I want to display textbook pages on a tablet, hassle-free. I want to lay it on a table next to me while I study, without having to reach over to it except to turn the page. I also want the text be big enough to read when displaying a full page.

Is a 10'' tablet the only option?

How about an 18" tablet? (Dell XPS 18)

(lol)

(there's several larger than 10" tablets if you care)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Only if they come with at least 4K displays.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Thermopyle posted:

How about an 18" tablet? (Dell XPS 18)

(lol)

(there's several larger than 10" tablets if you care)

Actually, I was wondering if I could get away with a Nexus 7. I guess not, though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Safe and Secure! posted:

Actually, I was wondering if I could get away with a Nexus 7. I guess not, though.

I've been reading a technical book on my Nexus 7 and it's surprisingly easy to read. I didn't think it would work on a 7" device but I don't have any issues. Even comics are fine for me. I'd say find a way to get a book onto a Nexus 7 and see for yourself before discounting it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've been reading a technical book on my Nexus 7 and it's surprisingly easy to read. I didn't think it would work on a 7" device but I don't have any issues. Even comics are fine for me. I'd say find a way to get a book onto a Nexus 7 and see for yourself before discounting it.

Yeah, it's not too bad, but I definitely need to scroll to read text books on it.

But it's worth trying out.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Reuters has thrown its hat onto the 2nd-gen Nexus 7 w/ Snapdragon in May rumor

Key difference is that they claim Qualcomm was chosen due to better battery life, not Nvdia missing the Nexus 7(2013)'s launch window like Digitimes claimed 2 weeks ago. Just this once I'm going to choose Digitimes version of events over another source because that's pretty much the perfect summary of Tegra.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Vagrancy posted:

Key difference is that they claim Qualcomm was chosen due to better battery life, not Nvdia missing the Nexus 7(2013)'s launch window like Digitimes claimed 2 weeks ago. Just this once I'm going to choose Digitimes version of events over another source because that's pretty much the perfect summary of Tegra.

I think the more interesting comment is the possible $149 price point :stare:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

Has anyone said what they expect the resolution to be? 1440x900? 1680x1050? I'm hoping for 1920x1200.

Mister Fister posted:

I think the more interesting comment is the possible $149 price point :stare:
They said that about the last one, too. Probably not going to happen.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Well I bit the bullet today and bought that Novatech tablet with overnight shipping. Will be posting an update later as to whether it really is the POS that everyone is claiming it to be or whether its actually worth the money.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Zero Gravitas posted:

Well I bit the bullet today and bought that Novatech tablet with overnight shipping. Will be posting an update later as to whether it really is the POS that everyone is claiming it to be or whether its actually worth the money.
I'm sure it will suit your needs perfectly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Why would you buy a lovely tablet in order to save money and then spend extra for overnight shipping?

Going to point out a couple of specs for people who didn't go to the site:
  • Display Resolution: 7" 800 x 480 Display
  • Battery: 3000mAh - Up to 4hrs Battery Life
I don't think the display is IPS, either, so it will have poor viewing angles.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Up to 4hrs Battery Life

:what:

If that's the advertised battery life, in reality this thing will probably last just long enough to boot to a home screen and then die.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Why would you buy a lovely tablet in order to save money and then spend extra for overnight shipping?

Going to point out a couple of specs for people who didn't go to the site:
  • Display Resolution: 7" 800 x 480 Display
  • Battery: 3000mAh - Up to 4hrs Battery Life
I don't think the display is IPS, either, so it will have poor viewing angles.

ahahahah. 600x1024 pixel res screens at 7 inches are bad enough as it is but 800x480? They don't even make (noteworthy) phones at that resolution these days.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Man, there have been two people, in the last two pages in this thread, that have ignored pretty valuable advice and gotten lovely tablets instead. :gonk: Why?!

One dude should really enjoy his tablet that only lasts up to 4 hours on a single charge that he specifically bought for reading. What. What kind of thought process thinks that's a good deal?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

Man, there have been two people, in the last two pages in this thread, that have ignored pretty valuable advice and gotten lovely tablets instead. :gonk: Why?!

One dude should really enjoy his tablet that only lasts up to 4 hours on a single charge that he specifically bought for reading. What. What kind of thought process thinks that's a good deal?

It happens at least once or twice every few months and while it's kinda sad it's also pretty fun to watch their dreams of a "good enough" cheap tablet get shattered; they inevitably end up with a Nexus or an iPad and the Ainol Elf Extreme III goes in a drawer or SA Mart / Craigslist / eBay. This thread would be boring without them :)

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
So, stupid question time.

I have and really enjoy a Nexus 7 that I bought before the Nexus 10 was even announced. I use it mostly for browsing the net, light reading and watching videos. The only things that bother me are the screen being a bit on the small side for watching videos and the single rear facing speaker which makes it hard to hear anything. Would I do well to get a Nexus 10? Like I said, dumb question but I'd like a little confirmation before plopping down the $500 + tax for a 32gb Nexus 10.

I'd most likely give my Nexus 7 to my mom who has been wanting a tablet after using mine.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BarkingSquirrel posted:

So, stupid question time.

I have and really enjoy a Nexus 7 that I bought before the Nexus 10 was even announced. I use it mostly for browsing the net, light reading and watching videos. The only things that bother me are the screen being a bit on the small side for watching videos and the single rear facing speaker which makes it hard to hear anything. Would I do well to get a Nexus 10? Like I said, dumb question but I'd like a little confirmation before plopping down the $500 + tax for a 32gb Nexus 10.

I'd most likely give my Nexus 7 to my mom who has been wanting a tablet after using mine.

I've had both, I currently had the Nexus 10, but I really preferred the Nexus 7. I like the screen size a lot more. I mostly use it for reading, and I figured the larger screen would have been better, but having both, I think 7" is the sweet spot for tablets. Maybe 8", but I wouldn't go any bigger.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I currently own both a 7 and 10. I like the 7 better for playing games, but the 10 is much better for text and video. The speakers are very nice and everyone that's used it has commented positively on them.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I currently own both a 7 and 10. I like the 7 better for playing games, but the 10 is much better for text and video. The speakers are very nice and everyone that's used it has commented positively on them.

This is roughly the sad state of tablets.

10" is too big for gaming to be totally honest. You can't really hold it well unless you have giant hands or you've got something to prop it up on.

7" is too small for reading things, unless you have amazing eyesight and are under the age where your eyes start to just not wanna focus any more on screens unless you jack the font up.

I'm almost convinced I need the new nexus 7 for games to go with my nexus 10 that is almost exclusively a comic/magazine/book reader. I hate playing games on it that much.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I went to Best Buy and played around with the tablets for a bit, and I can't decide if I've convinced myself I need a 10" tablet because I'm stupid or because I'll actually use a huge tablet like that. I'm looking for something to replace my ailing, aging laptop that I mainly use for web browsing. It seems like a 10" would be more convenient for frequent browsing, and I imagine it would be easier to take notes on for school.

I would like to keep the price down, if I can, but I'm prepared to put some money in to not buy a knockoff piece of poo poo.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Get a Nexus 10.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I was gifted a Nexus 7 for Christmas and I've got a warranty on it. I'm thinking about returning it, but with a refresh possibly right around the corner, is there a compelling reason to not just return it for money and purchase the next-gen N7?

Do we know if it's going to be a super-huge change worth going without a tablet and ponying up the extra 50(?) bucks for? I generally just use it to surf/read the forums/kindle books, so I'm not sure if it's an objectively good idea to trade up or if I'm just wanting the new shiny thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jonesy posted:

I was gifted a Nexus 7 for Christmas and I've got a warranty on it. I'm thinking about returning it, but with a refresh possibly right around the corner, is there a compelling reason to not just return it for money and purchase the next-gen N7?
I don't know what country you're in but even in the UK with good consumer laws you can't just return your tablet after three months and get a refund on it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jonesy posted:

Do we know if it's going to be a super-huge change worth going without a tablet and ponying up the extra 50(?) bucks for? I generally just use it to surf/read the forums/kindle books, so I'm not sure if it's an objectively good idea to trade up or if I'm just wanting the new shiny thing.

Uhh... the warranty only applies to defects and/or repair, not just straight up saying you don't want it anymore and asking for money back.

You could sell the N7 on SA Mart or Ebay and use those funds to imburse your new tablet fund.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

teagone posted:

Uhh... the warranty only applies to defects and/or repair, not just straight up saying you don't want it anymore and asking for money back.

You could sell the N7 on SA Mart or Ebay and use those funds to imburse your new tablet fund.

...but since you'll probably only get ~$150 for it, you'd might as well just hold onto it until we know definitively whether there is a new Nexus 7 and if it's a significant upgrade.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I'm returning it because I've seen some sort of screen/bezel-fuckery (it can't possibly still be the lift thing, can it?), not because I'm tired of it, so nope I'm not intending to say "I want a new one so give me money." The exchange/warranty process is a non-issue, or at least the guy I spoke to on the phone sounded alright about it seemed to think so (I may have miscalculated here!)

I wasn't sure if a new Nexus was guaranteed, but I'm trying to figure whether I'll be exchanging for a new current-gen N7, or if it'll be such an upgrade that I should do the return and wait it out/purchase next-gen.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

...but since you'll probably only get ~$150 for it, you'd might as well just hold onto it until we know definitively whether there is a new Nexus 7 and if it's a significant upgrade.

Makes perfect sense, thanks!

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 5, 2013

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Crap, q!=e

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

At this point in time, no one knows what's coming in terms of tablets or phones at I/O 2013.

It could be a Motorola-Google device (if it is, it'll be the 4" Nexus 4 that's been leaked in images), it could be a new Nexus 7, it could be a rumored Motorola "X Tablet". No one really knows for sure.

The only hardware that we know 100% will be talked about is Google TV because Google themselves mentioned it on Google+ (and I believe their blog as well).

Judging by how leaks were for the Nexus 4, 7, and 10, we would've heard more than rumors and seen more images and specs by now. If anything is coming aside from something Google TV, it would probably be that Motorola phone with the same specs as the Nexus 4.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jonesy posted:

I'm returning it because I've seen some sort of screen/bezel-fuckery (it can't possibly still be the lift thing, can it?), not because I'm tired of it, so nope I'm not intending to say "I want a new one so give me money." The exchange/warranty process is a non-issue, or at least the guy I spoke to on the phone sounded alright about it seemed to think so (I may have miscalculated here!)

I wasn't sure if a new Nexus was guaranteed, but I'm trying to figure whether I'll be exchanging for a new current-gen N7, or if it'll be such an upgrade that I should do the return and wait it out/purchase next-gen.

Makes perfect sense, thanks!

They will replace it with a refurbished nexus 7 exactly like the one you have.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Well I am on my second Nexus 7 from launch (had to replace the first due to a screen lift issue), and I wake up this morning to my alarm to find that my screen had randomly cracked over night. No drops, no nothing. I set up an RMA with Asus, but I have a feeling that they'll try to charge me for the repair anyway. The only defense I have on my side is the fact that the plastic edge and the rest of the device is pristine since I have had it in a protective cover for its whole lifespan.

If they do end up trying to charge me, I'll probably just let it go and wait for the I/O announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Got my TF700 today from the Groupon refurb deal. So far it's been neat.