Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.
Seems pretty realistic to me. See e.g.

quote:

In a bantamweight bout, Magomed Abdulhamidov of Azerbaijan fell to the canvas six times in the third round against Satoshi Shimizu of Japan, yet still won a 22-17 decision.

Meretnyyazov allowed the fight to continue after each tumble, and he enraged the Japanese team by fixing the headgear worn by Abdulhamidov, who had to be helped from the ring after winning.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/...decision-appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ladies and gentlemen, THE WINNER!

*herse pulls away*

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 13, 2013

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
It's been a while, but chapter 1005 is out

spoiler]It's a strange new direction for the story to take, with Volg dying in the ring and Ippo vowing revenge inside the ring or not. Also, Takamura becoming a Sumo Yokozuna was rather hilarious. The manga was getting stale, so I'm interested in seeing where this will go.[/spoiler]

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That was a bad post and you should feel bad.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 1, 2013

Poke
Mar 1, 2004
This poo poo is pissing me off.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
At least David Eagle is still a man of integrity.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The champ doesn't seem to know what happened. The hit was so hard he was completely out of it until after he got up, and even then he seems to be running on one hampster wheel right now. I hope he puts the pieces together before he does something he'll regret...

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
As the next two chapters are also out, we can say he does something he'll probably regret. Gets the living poo poo beat out of him and loses.

It's basically the same link as the last one, but what the hell

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Wow, this entire fight was great, tense as hell. Usually it's painfully obvious who will come out winning but this time I really didn't believe Volg had a chance until the very end. Well played, and finally it's someone who actually deserves to win.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Great fight and ending. Tense up until the very end with no clear winner either way.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
That entire fight was absolutely fantastic. This is exactly what this manga has needed for the past 250 or so chapters. I hope that Ippo seeing Volg win against the odds will inspire him to actually take on the world properly. That's what I want from this manga now.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Seeing Volg with the belt made me throw my hands in the air and yell "YES" It's weird I care so much, this fight truly was great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Finally, a happy ending. Can we end the manga now?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
'holy poo poo he actually won. What is this? Yay volf got a happy ending!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You know, having the chapters released in batches where something actually happens at the end seriously improves this series.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The biggest question has not been answered yet; is Sendo going to pay for that table?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
My favorite character actually won. I almost feel like I should stop reading here.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

Centzon Totochtin posted:

The biggest question has not been answered yet; is Sendo going to pay for that table?

Why would he? Ippo was the one who broke it.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
drat. It's been so long since it felt like anything important happened.

But this is completely awesome.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

tazman posted:

Why would he? Ippo was the one who broke it.

Well don't I feel like a match-fixing rear end in a top hat now.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Good chapter, I really enjoyed this bout.

Hopefully this fight will inspire the world to go fight Ippo. Because we all know he won't be leaving the island in our lifetimes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Two new chapters- Turns out Takamura asked Sendo to spar with Ippo, Sendo convinces Ippo to do so since they're fired up about Vorg's win. Sendo lays Ippo out, Takamura thinks Ippo has gotten weaker (what the gently caress?). Then Ippo finds out he's going to relinquish his title- and that Itagaki is getting a shot FOR that title.

Seriously? We have to do this "Ippo is weaker" poo poo again? Wasn't the point in all the jerking around beating up the various dirty asian stereotypes to get him ready?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Well, Sendo has been training with a lot of Mexican boxers so maybe Sendo is just improving quicker than Ippo's glacial pace. When was Ippo's last fight? Was it with Woli? I can't even remember anymore.

E:Oh no, it was that guy who's gimmick was that he punched really hard.

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 13, 2013

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Well at least plot is happening. These Asian Champ fights have mostly been pointless and forgettable.

I also hope the Ippo getting weaker thing is some strange meta commentary about how lackadaisical the manga has been lately and how Morikawa plans to step his poo poo up now.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Ippo is finally going to get with Kumi, thus stimulating testosterone production and providing the power up required to take on the world.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Isn't that a plot point from Baki?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Seriously? We have to do this "Ippo is weaker" poo poo again? Wasn't the point in all the jerking around beating up the various dirty asian stereotypes to get him ready?

I think it's gonna end up being a problem of motivation, rather than a problem of skill

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Hortism posted:

I don't read Baki, I guess I should!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Hortism posted:

That's the subplot of Baki. The main plot is based upon Keisuke Itagaki's daddy issues, and his passionate love for naked muscle men.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I'm re-reading the Takamura v Hawk arc. It's still probably the best arc in any manga I've ever read. The build up is hilarious and poignant and the fight itself is amazing.

I still crack up at the gag with Aoki's eyebrows. Takamura has a little internal spiel about how he is only comfortable around the gym guys, and he goes "Follow me to the top of the world!" or whatever, and they all turn around and give him a thumbs up and the marker-eyebrows are all hosed up, it's brilliant.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

tbp posted:

I'm re-reading the Takamura v Hawk arc. It's still probably the best arc in any manga I've ever read. The build up is hilarious and poignant and the fight itself is amazing.

I still crack up at the gag with Aoki's eyebrows. Takamura has a little internal spiel about how he is only comfortable around the gym guys, and he goes "Follow me to the top of the world!" or whatever, and they all turn around and give him a thumbs up and the marker-eyebrows are all hosed up, it's brilliant.

It's a real shane that the best fights in the series don't have Ippo in them. Takamura v Hawk. Kimura v Mashiba (my favorite). Vorg v American. If Ippo could just have one fight at that level of quality..

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Toshimo posted:

It's a real shane that the best fights in the series don't have Ippo in them. Takamura v Hawk. Kimura v Mashiba (my favorite). Vorg v American. If Ippo could just have one fight at that level of quality..

His title fight vs Sendo was really good. But the Hawk fight was just perfect on every level in the build up to the very end. When the coach fixed his hair before the last round it was amazing.

The anime does a really good job animating it too.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

tbp posted:

Takamura vs Hawk was loving amazing in the anime. I rewatch those episodes every couple of months or so just because they were that awesome.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

hieronymus posted:

Takamura vs Hawk was loving amazing in the anime. I rewatch those episodes every couple of months or so just because they were that awesome.

Haha I've done this too. It sounds so goofy but it can really make you feel good, the dude writes a great story that hits all the right notes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So has anything actually happened in the manga? I guess everyone translating it evaporated.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Mangastream has started doing it in bursts of 4-5 chapters at a time, which greatly improves the pacing.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
I think the problem is that they don't have a good source of raws for Ippo. I think their translator for Ippo had some health problems as well.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

It's up to like 1020 in raws.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Flergatron 3000 posted:

I think the problem is that they don't have a good source of raws for Ippo. I think their translator for Ippo had some health problems as well.

Their translator is currently quite healthy, it's the editor who's had health troubles. The translator has done up until the most recent raw, but they're catching up as the editor goes through the scripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/15923875/1

New chapter is up.