Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

voltron posted:

Can anyone recommend a good HID kit for the E36 Euro Bosch lights?

Or recommend a decent street coilover kit for a sexy ride height?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

voltron posted:

I've used DDM Tuning kits for fog light applications with great success. Considering the lifetime warranty and cost (all Chinese stuff) it has worked out rather well.

Regarding suspension, I'm eyeballing MCS two-way systems for my E92 -- just trying to figure out all the hassle I'll encounter while converting the rear to a true coilover. I rode in an E46 with a set of 3-way customs that blew me away. Friends in the E36 community had positive things to say regarding the older Tein kits; I've also been impressed with TCKline's offerings.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

voltron posted:

Purple HIDs are best HIDs.

e: Don't ever put HIDs in a housing designed for incandescent filaments.

User Error fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 1, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crustashio posted:

I didn't realize there was a koni kit. Those will be much better for a "stock" ride, bilsteins are loving HARSH. I would honestly never recommend them for anything on the street. H&R or Eibachs will probably be fine - you'll basically get to stock 330i sport package ride height. OEM springs aren't really an option unless you feel like paying 4x the price of any other springs.

I had an E46 325xi 5spd for three years with the H&R coilover kit. The H&Rs are Bilsteins and most BMW people would call them harsh, I didn't think they were but they allowed a lot of wheel travel and body roll. I also ran 245/40/18's all around, 235/40/18 and 265/40/18 stagger, 245/40/18 and 265/40/18 stagger on a set of 18x8.5 / 18x9.5 wheels for 60k miles without a driveline issue at all.

You can't run RWD coilovers because the strut setup in the front is different. You can't easily swap the car to RWD as the front subframe, engine mounts, etc are all different. You can't just pull the front driveshaft because the tcase is of the 'open' variety.

Uhhh, what else...? I know this stupid car front to back now.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 1, 2013

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

voltron posted:

Can anyone recommend a good HID kit for the E36 Euro Bosch lights?

You're going to blind people and compromise your own visibility with this setup unless you do something like a TSX retrofit. The Euro Boschs are already miles ahead of the stock American ones.

If you're an rear end in a top hat like I am and need HIDs regardless, just buy some cheapies and throw them in the fog-light housings.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Has anyone ever decoded the BMW color-code/spring-table for e36s? Google was coming up dry. What came on the car ('96 m3 coupe) was Eibach Pro Kit on the rear (with stock dampeners, which rubbed like crazy and threw camber way off. Way to go, P.O.) and the front is four yellow stripes, but I don't know for sure if those are stock or not. Whether or not they are stock, they are both jacked - one is broken and the other has somehow slipped past the spring perch.

Because my wallet is kind of tight right now and I really just want to get back on the road and will be overhauling the entire suspension in a few months, I'm looking for take-offs on ebay/craigslist and would like to find something as close to stock as possible. I found a local guy with a set of rears from a 1997 m3 coupe (four pink strips) which so far seem close enough to get around on, so at least my tire isn't rubbing the fender every time make a left turn.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

FIRST TIME posted:

If your ambient temperature sensor comes loose it will always ding at you because your computer will think that it's like -26F outside.

Maxwells Demon posted:

Another route to consider is that your digital clock might have the 'Memo' function on. It would give me 2 or 3 beeps at the top of every hour while it was on and unnerved me until I turned it off.
Thanks to both of you. The 10-button computer thingy (can't remember what it's called at the moment) had a few blown LEDs when I got the car, and it always said it was -35F outside, regardless of real temperature (sometimes it was actually correct, but very rarely). Now there are so many blown LEDs that I can't even guess at what it's trying to tell me. I have an 18-button version that the PO gave me (he never got around to replacing it), I guess that moves to the top of the list of things to do once the weather gets good. The random nature of the beeping might be consistent with the clock, I hadn't thought of that. Between my desire to install a new head unit and the patiently-waiting 18-button computer, it looks like tearing into my dashboard is something I'll be doing soon.

Not an April Fool's thing, and vaguely related to RWD+snow: this morning it was -10 C, though there's been considerable melting over the weekend. I got stuck in my parking spot last night, a neighbour heard me uselessly spinning my (not terrible but not great winter) tires and came out to give me a yank with his Explorer. Amusingly, his tow-cover says "I use this to tow Chevs", though he said he mostly uses it to pull Hondas. Now he's done a BMW! Less amusingly, my screw-in tow hook is now bent because he had to pull me sideways. I haven't tried to get it out, yet.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So, I've tried googling to no avail, and this is seriously frustrating me.
http://youtu.be/iBcXBL91aGg
I tried moving the seat all the way forward, greasing (white lithium was recommended) what tracks I could see, and then moving it all the way back and doing the same. Has anyone had any luck with greasing something else? The sound is incredibly loud, and is the one thing really wrong with the car currently...

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Deceptor101 posted:

So, I've tried googling to no avail, and this is seriously frustrating me.
http://youtu.be/iBcXBL91aGg
I tried moving the seat all the way forward, greasing (white lithium was recommended) what tracks I could see, and then moving it all the way back and doing the same. Has anyone had any luck with greasing something else? The sound is incredibly loud, and is the one thing really wrong with the car currently...

It looks like it's moving pretty slow too. You might want to research whether or not you have to grease up your seat gears or replace them all together. You would have to remove the seat from the car to do that.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Both seats do the same thing, seems hopefully more likely that they just need lubing rather than both motors dying. Maybe one of the PO's kids hosed with the seats all day though :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Was reading R+T today when I came across this:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/road-tests/road-test-my-blue-heaven-bmw-135is

The argument is very similar to what happens with every generation of new BMWs, about them losing their soul or their driver connectedness or what have you, but what I've heard about the F30, I suspect it might be closer to the mark this time. I haven't driven one yet - regardless, the commentary could apply to several manufacturers in our era of CVTs and electric steering and 5,000 different 'assists'. The same issue shocked me with the news that the new E63 is AWD only, as will be future S-Class based AMGs.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

blk posted:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/road-tests/road-test-my-blue-heaven-bmw-135is

The argument is very similar to what happens with every generation of new BMWs, about them losing their soul or their driver connectedness or what have you, but what I've heard about the F30, I suspect it might be closer to the mark this time. I haven't driven one yet - regardless, the commentary could apply to several manufacturers in our era of CVTs and electric steering and 5,000 different 'assists'. The same issue shocked me with the news that the new E63 is AWD only, as will be future S-Class based AMGs.

The 135is doesnt have a loving LSD? what.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

blk posted:

I recently had my car in for service, and in that duration was sent off with a new 328i sedan spec'd with the sport package trimmings. While it was something to commute in, I felt really as though I could be in a wide variety of other models and hardly distinguish from one another. I'm curious to see what is done with the new platform as it matures.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

blk posted:

You also have to remember that the majority of 3 series buyers buy the 328i stripper model. Its more of a "badge thing" than actual driving experience. I get why BMW is doing all this, its easier to sell 10,000 cars at 30,000 a piece vs trying to sell 6,667 cars at 45,000 a piece.

It stinks, but its business. Don't take it personally.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

concise posted:

Yeah, E46 and I was afraid I wouldn't find much. Though there is an Eibach spring kit available at Tire Rack and a spring + Koni FSD shock/strut kit at ModBargains.com. Anything good/bad to say about Eibachs and Koni FSDs? Does having AWD pretty much preclude me from everything besides stock?

Just chiming in to say that this is far and away your best option. FSDs are magic. If you want to blow your mind, combine with a swaybar kit and you'll have a car that rides as nicely as stock, but handles absolutely perfectly.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

coolskillrex remix posted:

The 135is doesnt have a loving LSD? what.

As far as I'm aware, no BMWs come with LSDs other than M cars. It is a bit silly considering Civic SIs and V6 Mustangs and poo poo have LSDs from the factory. But I have to say it has tons of grip as is.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Stardotstar posted:

Just chiming in to say that this is far and away your best option. FSDs are magic. If you want to blow your mind, combine with a swaybar kit and you'll have a car that rides as nicely as stock, but handles absolutely perfectly.

I wish I could since I've read so many good things about them, but unfortunately there aren't any FSDs made for E46 XI's. I have no idea what the problem would be since they're offered for the 330i, but I'm putting together an Eibach / Koni Sport Yellow suspension upgrade kit instead.

What car are you running FSDs on?

Ronnie B.
Apr 30, 2002

Hold on, I'm trying to turn off my own show, how does this work?

lazer_chicken posted:

As far as I'm aware, no BMWs come with LSDs other than M cars. It is a bit silly considering Civic SIs and V6 Mustangs and poo poo have LSDs from the factory. But I have to say it has tons of grip as is.

I think he was referring to the M135i, which has done nothing to earn an M badge.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ronnie B. posted:

I think he was referring to the M135i, which has done nothing to earn an M badge.

So a RWD, 320 horsepower hatchback lauded as one of the best driving cars you can buy today that also just happens to sell for Audi A3 money isn't worthy of an M-badge? Jesus H. Christ, that's one of the stupidest opinions I've heard in a long time.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

lazer_chicken posted:

This is a correct statement post-1995; however BMW CCA is working to lobby BMW NA to resume offering LSD options in "S" models, such as the soon-to-be-late 335is.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The boat for complaining about misuse of the M badge sailed years ago.

edit: Who wants to lend me 2500? And also find me an M60B40 with 6speed.

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-BMW-5-Series-530i-Wagon-W0QQAdIdZ470703435

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 3, 2013

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Cross post from AI pics thread:

So hot.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What was the big issue with the first E92 335i's? I remember hearing some complaints about a major engine problem.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

blk posted:

What was the big issue with the first E92 335i's? I remember hearing some complaints about a major engine problem.

I think its just the HPFP really is the big issue. A few turbo issues here and there, but I would almost bet 75% are owner neglect, and the rest being genuine failures.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
The N54 engine used through 2010 or 2011 (depending on exact model) had issues with the high pressure fuel pumps failing, sometimes at very low mileage and sometimes repeatedly. There was a big fiasco over it and some kind of recall, I'm not sure of all the details. The N55 replaced the N54 and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Note that although the N54 and N55 perform almost identically, they are quite different in that the N54 is a twin turbo and the N55 is a single twin-scroll turbo. BMW, of course, tried to hide the transition by branding both engines as "TwinPower Turbo" despite the fact the N55 only has one turbo. So if you're looking at a 2010 or 2011 turbo BMW make sure you know which one is in there, and make sure you check on the HPFP history if it's an N54.

I wouldn't necessarily avoid an N54 but make sure you are aware of the recall and warranty status on that specific car before you buy it.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
How lovely is the quality on those aux inputs that physically take over an FM station instead of doing it wirelessly? Obviously the wireless ones are trash, and I'm guessing the hardwired ones aren't much better.

Unless you want to replace your radio head unit, I just can't think of any other way to get an aux input in a '93 E36. I don't care about having controls or a display or anything, I just want a simple male to male headphone jack with "good enough" quality. Unfortunately the OEM input kits for E36 are like '95 or '96 and up. Ideally I would find something that could go right in this spot:

Anyway, anyone with an older E36 have an audio input solution that works well enough?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Onslaught posted:

How lovely is the quality on those aux inputs that physically take over an FM station instead of doing it wirelessly? Obviously the wireless ones are trash, and I'm guessing the hardwired ones aren't much better.

Unless you want to replace your radio head unit, I just can't think of any other way to get an aux input in a '93 E36. I don't care about having controls or a display or anything, I just want a simple male to male headphone jack with "good enough" quality. Unfortunately the OEM input kits for E36 are like '95 or '96 and up. Ideally I would find something that could go right in this spot:

Anyway, anyone with an older E36 have an audio input solution that works well enough?

My '99 E36 has a 3.5mm headphone jack on a long cable (I can pull it out to about 1-1/2 feet) coming out of a hole in the slot where your sunglasses are (and it doesn't prevent me from putting stuff there). As far as I know the wire just runs directly to the back of the fairly basic Pioneer aftermarket unit that is installed.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I just use a tape adapter.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Actually, the hardwired ones tend to work a lot better.

e: Use the CD changer input.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

concise posted:

I wish I could since I've read so many good things about them, but unfortunately there aren't any FSDs made for E46 XI's. I have no idea what the problem would be since they're offered for the 330i, but I'm putting together an Eibach / Koni Sport Yellow suspension upgrade kit instead.

What car are you running FSDs on?

Helped a friend put them them on his 330i coupe last April (soon after they debuted). Got to do some back-to-back drives in his car vs. my E46 stock sport suspension and the difference was utterly massive. Incredibly cushy ride over irregular pavement and speedbumps and such, but very firmly controlled during slaloms and spirited driving. He already had swaybars which obviously helped bodyroll, but the before/after with just the shocks was just incredible.

E: they are on my list of things to buy this year. Koni is having a sale now through May, and their website (and several distributors) have really excellent prices. $630 shipped for 4 magic shocks seems like a deal to me!

Stardotstar fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 3, 2013

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Lowclock posted:

Actually, the hardwired ones tend to work a lot better.

e: Use the CD changer input.

The CD changer ones are '96 and up only. Same for the thing Kenshin is talking about.

Would you say the hard wired FM thing is acceptable quality?

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Mr. Onslaught posted:

The CD changer ones are '96 and up only. Same for the thing Kenshin is talking about.

I have a GOgroove FlexSMART in my e36 and honestly it works great. It's bluetooth so it automatically detects your phone, and it is much better than the POS DICE unit I had in there beforehand (why yes I'd love to hear my alternator). Quality is great - you'd think you were listening to a CD itself.

If you have a C33 radio you can actually solder a aux input right onto the circuit board...if you'd prefer that route.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=239069

Realjones fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 3, 2013

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Of course I'm biased since I own one, but I think the F30 bashing is bullshit. My 335ix 6MT with the handling package is fun as hell. :colbert:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Really? Hmm, my old E34 has it.

It will sound about as good as a nice tape adapter usually.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Tape adapters are the way to go. Watch out for your cellphone trying to get signal in barren places though. For some reason tape adapters will pick up on them and they will be twice as loud as any music playing.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Maxwells Demon posted:

Tape adapters are the way to go. Watch out for your cellphone trying to get signal in barren places though. For some reason tape adapters will pick up on them and they will be twice as loud as any music playing.

Yeah, this happens to me at the exact same couple of spots on my daily commute. Tape adapters rock as far as being the easiest way to get a clean signal to the stereo in my E34 but it sucks when it starts picking up all that interference when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Out of curiosity - are you guys on a GSM-based carrier? When I was on AT&T I used to get a lot of feedback from my phone into the radio as it negotiated...something (kind of a 'dut-dut-dut!' at various speeds every so often), but now I'm on Sprint (CDMA) and it's gone away entirely.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Lowclock posted:

Really? Hmm, my old E34 has it.

It will sound about as good as a nice tape adapter usually.

Off the top of my head the E34 stereo wiring is a mess of 4-5 different configurations, depending on whether it's new or old E34, 'premium' stereo or basic, cd changer, etc.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

televiper posted:

Out of curiosity - are you guys on a GSM-based carrier? When I was on AT&T I used to get a lot of feedback from my phone into the radio as it negotiated...something (kind of a 'dut-dut-dut!' at various speeds every so often), but now I'm on Sprint (CDMA) and it's gone away entirely.

Yeah GSM for me, and the same sound. So maybe you can ignore all that if you're on CDMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Maxwells Demon posted:

Yeah GSM for me, and the same sound. So maybe you can ignore all that if you're on CDMA.

I used to be able to tell when some guy at was getting a text message or a call because his AT&T phone would make a bunch of noise over the computer speakers. It was pretty annoying.