Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This is my first MH game and I'm loving loving it. Dunno why Capcom took so long to give the US a release.

I've got fully Brachy armor and weapon, kicking some major rear end. This game rules so hard.

The bosses are so well done, all their animations are really, really great in subtle ways. Love the difficulty and challenge and lack of tips and health bars and poo poo, but the game is still very fair.

There's a few things that are kinda bullshit (bosses knocking you from a zone, bosses leaving right as you set down a trap, seriously I can't pick a trap back up? lame) and its very Japanese, which is a good thing and a bad one.

I feel like the game is about to get way harder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

For those of you in G Rank, does it feel like slime weapons are the only way to go or does a lot of incentive to get other weapons which focus on a particular monster's weakness still exist? I am not there yet, but everything I am reading about slime kinda bothers me. I want to feel like I should be going after a greater variety of weapons in order to wreck faces.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Xavier434 posted:

For those of you in G Rank, does it feel like slime weapons are the only way to go or does a lot of incentive to get other weapons which focus on a particular monster's weakness still exist? I am not there yet, but everything I am reading about slime kinda bothers me. I want to feel like I should be going after a greater variety of weapons in order to wreck faces.

I'm nowhere near G Rank, but from what I've heard slime weapons are basically the be-all end-all. Personally I plan on keeping them back as a last resort, "this monster kicked my rear end for the last time" sort of weapon but otherwise playing like I normally would in making weapons geared for whatever I'm hunting.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Machai posted:

Yes. But only while a coating is applied.

I could've sworn I still had lightning graphics from my lagi bow when I had power coating applied. Could be wrong about that. I'd buy that the other coatings for status effects would overwrite the elemental damage while applied, though.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

This is my first MH game and I'm loving loving it. Dunno why Capcom took so long to give the US a release.

I've got fully Brachy armor and weapon, kicking some major rear end. This game rules so hard.

The bosses are so well done, all their animations are really, really great in subtle ways. Love the difficulty and challenge and lack of tips and health bars and poo poo, but the game is still very fair.

There's a few things that are kinda bullshit (bosses knocking you from a zone, bosses leaving right as you set down a trap, seriously I can't pick a trap back up? lame) and its very Japanese, which is a good thing and a bad one.

How do you expect to pick back up a trap that has burrowed itself 10 feet into the dirt? Or a trap that's now releasing a barely lethal (for monsters) electric current?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zaphod42 posted:

It just means you have to position accordingly if you don't like being knocked into the next zone. Traps work fine as is. It's easy to waste them, which is why you just have to get better at using them. Being limited to carrying only one trap of each type tells you to not put one down unless you're absolutely fine with it. If you're trying to capture a monster, a general rule is that if you think they're ready to be captured (Whether through capture skills, tells, intuition, etc.), wait until they zone first before following them and putting down a trap. Of course, you should also hit it a bit less in the meantime.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

FedoraDefender420 posted:

The trick with Deviljho is to be as aggressive as possible. He punishes cowardice.

pretty sure this is how i approach every monster in the game.

They run away from *me* :black101:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

avlein posted:

How do you expect to pick back up a trap that has burrowed itself 10 feet into the dirt? Or a trap that's now releasing a barely lethal (for monsters) electric current?

You mean the trap you can walk through that doesn't trigger or electrocute you in any way :colbert: are you really arguing for loving in-game realism here? Gameplay trumps story, I don't care what the "flavor" reason is. That's dumb. This is about playing the game and beating things and having fun, do you really care about the Monster Hunter cannon that much??

Even if you do care about the cannon, just give me some special "trap picking up" armor gloves or something.

Argas posted:

It just means you have to position accordingly if you don't like being knocked into the next zone. Traps work fine as is. It's easy to waste them, which is why you just have to get better at using them. Being limited to carrying only one trap of each type tells you to not put one down unless you're absolutely fine with it. If you're trying to capture a monster, a general rule is that if you think they're ready to be captured (Whether through capture skills, tells, intuition, etc.), wait until they zone first before following them and putting down a trap. Of course, you should also hit it a bit less in the meantime.

Yeah, I've learned to just put down traps ONLY after they first enter an area, lest risk losing the trap. And once I realized you can make additional traps while you're in the zone, that made it a lot easier.

Generally traps aren't necessary, so no big deal. But for missions where you have to capture, if you put down your last (of 2 total) traps and the monster runs off, you're just completely hosed and you have to start the quest over. That sucks.

Luckily, this one seems to have far fewer trap quests than Monster Hunter 3, which a friend showed me right before 3U came out.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Well, this is annoying. Apparently to get a Magia Charm, which is the only Dragon element Hunting Horn for a long time I need Blossom Crickets... which are only available when you contract hunters online or something, which is not going to happen with my DS.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

You mean the trap you can walk through that doesn't trigger or electrocute you in any way :colbert: are you really arguing for loving in-game realism here? Gameplay trumps story, I don't care what the "flavor" reason is. That's dumb. This is about playing the game and beating things and having fun, do you really care about the Monster Hunter cannon that much??

Counter point: If we could just pick the traps back up then that would remove almost all elements of skill related to trap positioning. While failure in this area can be quite annoying, success can also feel very gratifying. For me, that directly ties into the "fun" you are talking about.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

Well, this is annoying. Apparently to get a Magia Charm, which is the only Dragon element Hunting Horn for a long time I need Blossom Crickets... which are only available when you contract hunters online or something, which is not going to happen with my DS.

You can streetpass to get those contract hunters available in the single player Tanzia Port Tavern.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Are the MH3 drop tables hilariously out of date because I'm on 15 Ians without a Marrow.

(luckily enough, I've gotten 2 plates)

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

That Gobbo posted:

You can streetpass to get those contract hunters available in the single player Tanzia Port Tavern.

Sorry being dumb, but what does that mean? I... have a vague idea what streetpass is, in that you have to pass people on the street with your game on, and wifi on. Is that right?

How do I streetpass myself for those crickets?

Sorry if that's dumb, never used the feature before on my 3DS.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Brett824 posted:

Are the MH3 drop tables hilariously out of date because I'm on 15 Ians without a Marrow.

i think it's just luck, i got two plates and 1 marrow in my first 3 rathalos kills

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Zaphod42 posted:

Luckily, this one seems to have far fewer trap quests than Monster Hunter 3, which a friend showed me right before 3U came out.

Not going ask you to play a different way than you do for fun, but it ought to be mentioned that capturing is usually the way to get a higher yield of rewards for almost any non-Elder Dragon hunt.

I personally don't find it annoying to have to capture rather than kill--in fact, with the excessive amount of elder dragon kills I've had to do in Frontier, I find capture quests to be slightly more fun, for what it's worth.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Brett824 posted:

I'll trade you. Got half a dozen marrow and still no plate after 10+ caps and 15+ kills. I just want to finish the dang armor set so I can have FireAtkUp for Barioth...

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Thundercracker posted:

Sorry being dumb, but what does that mean? I... have a vague idea what streetpass is, in that you have to pass people on the street with your game on, and wifi on. Is that right?

What he's saying is you're hosed because you need a live human being within shouting distance who also owns the game to exist near you and also be street passing for any length of time.

Get the WiiU version.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Xavier434 posted:

Slime is kinda the entry point, and then you hit G rank and you make cool sets (G rank black diablos with a good hammer? :getin:), but they're either used by 1) pubbies 2) people who want to speed up farming for some monsters (Diablos :argh:) 3) people trying to kill Alatreon seriously gently caress that guy or 4) uninspired people. They're the lazy way, but the boring way: ultimately you end up using the same set up. Forever.

That isn't what Monster Hunter is. Keep making the hats. Craft a good set. Kick rear end regardless.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Emalde posted:

What he's saying is you're hosed because you need a live human being within shouting distance who also owns the game to exist near you and also be street passing for any length of time.

Get the WiiU version.

I got a guild card from a friend I was multiplaying the other day. Do I actually have to be around them for them to receive the quest or whatever, or is just having a card enough to activate these fetch quests? Does he actually have to do these quests? Sigh, Monster Hunter, you explain nothing.

Machai posted:

I'll trade you. Got half a dozen marrow and still no plate after 10+ caps and 15+ kills. I just want to finish the dang armor set so I can have FireAtkUp for Barioth...

How do you trade drops? I tried to give my friend some ore and couldn't. Is there a special way other than just using "give"?

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Thundercracker posted:

I got a guild card from a friend I was multiplaying the other day. Do I actually have to be around them for them to receive the quest or whatever, or is just having a card enough to activate these fetch quests? Does he actually have to do these quests? Sigh, Monster Hunter, you explain nothing.

(edit: More to the point - You just need the card. No, they person doesn't have to do the quest)
Nope! Just once and then you can send them out on jobs every two game days with a job taking two game days to complete.

Although I'm not sure what it takes to get them to taking higher rank missions. My buddy is 2 stared now but still doing low rank missions.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 2, 2013

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Xavier434 posted:

Counter point: If we could just pick the traps back up then that would remove almost all elements of skill related to trap positioning. While failure in this area can be quite annoying, success can also feel very gratifying. For me, that directly ties into the "fun" you are talking about.

If you truly find the "skillful positioning of a trap" to be fun and satisfying, fine we'll keep it as is. But if I ever place a shock trap on the ground and the monster runs off to the next zone, for the love of god let me try again and place my 2nd pitfall trap that I brought in the other zone. As it is right now, if you place a trap on the ground and the monster leaves, you literally cannot place any other traps until the 5 minutes have passed and your trap MAGICALLY DESPAWNS. It's dumb, no matter how you slice it.

Sarpsa
Nov 17, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

People tend to overestimate Slimes usefulness, sure its good but personally I see no reason to use it. It is way more interesting to use the right element againts what ever the monster is weak to, plus Brachydios weapons are just ugly.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Thundercracker posted:

Head to the tavern and your friend's character should be standing around there with a yellow "..." above his head. To check that he's there you can click the "hunters for hire" thing in the bottom screen when you're in the village and it'll show you a list (there's also a "Tavern" button on that tab to fast travel there).

And while I've never tried it, it sounds like you just pay a small fee and it sends them out to the job. You don't need your friend to do anything.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

From what I can tell:
-Anyone you have a guild-card from can be sent out on missions
-Increasing the amount of hunters increases the amount of stuff you get at; I've never seen a failed mission. Since the cost to add more hunters is basically negibile, always add more hunters. You don't need more guild cards for more hunters, they get filled in with generic ones; although if you have more guild cards, they send out those people instead.
-Rank determines what kind of quests they get
-Only one quest can be sent out at a time, even if you have more than one person to send.

I'm largely reminded of the cat from the village farm in Freedom Unite who sails off to distant lands, except a bit expanded upon.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

You can talk to the drunk dude on the guild mission counter to change what types of missions you send guild cards out on. Which is nice because, frankly, the small monster missions are sort of worthless. Failure nets you a small handful of items.
You really only need one guild card, but I assume more real people will make your chances of success on a mission higher as opposed to just sending random hunters out.

It's basically free stuff every 4 game days for a negligible fee. There's no reason not to do it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Happy Blue Cow posted:

If you truly find the "skillful positioning of a trap" to be fun and satisfying, fine we'll keep it as is. But if I ever place a shock trap on the ground and the monster runs off to the next zone, for the love of god let me try again and place my 2nd pitfall trap that I brought in the other zone. As it is right now, if you place a trap on the ground and the monster leaves, you literally cannot place any other traps until the 5 minutes have passed and your trap MAGICALLY DESPAWNS. It's dumb, no matter how you slice it.

edit: It is very dumb that we have to wait so long to place a new trap in another zone. I am with you 100% there.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 2, 2013

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Thanks for the explanation. I got his duder on a little quest. I guess I never really check the Tavern cuz I'm still in the Solo mode all the time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Xavier434 posted:

It is very dumb that we can't place a new trap in another zone. I am with you 100% there.

You can, but you gotta wait 5 minutes until the old one despawns.

I think my Argosy Captain bugged out. He's been hanging out in Moga now for like, a month of ingame time and he hasn't left yet. I mean, I guess it's useful since I don't have to wait for him now to come back to do rare trades but sheesh, get off your assu (means "rear end")

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

TalonDemonKing posted:

From what I can tell:
-Anyone you have a guild-card from can be sent out on missions
-Increasing the amount of hunters increases the amount of stuff you get at; I've never seen a failed mission. Since the cost to add more hunters is basically negibile, always add more hunters. You don't need more guild cards for more hunters, they get filled in with generic ones; although if you have more guild cards, they send out those people instead.
-Rank determines what kind of quests they get
-Only one quest can be sent out at a time, even if you have more than one person to send.

I'm largely reminded of the cat from the village farm in Freedom Unite who sails off to distant lands, except a bit expanded upon.
Is the hunters rank based on the friend or myself? I have 3 goons I played with on day 1 who are all still HR1. Could I get better items by adding high HR people?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

How do you trade drops? I tried to give my friend some ore and couldn't. Is there a special way other than just using "give"?

It was a joke. You can't trade anything other than stuff like potions, hot/cold drinks, meat(?) and other consumables. Anything you would use to craft armor/weapons is untradeable.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's anything rare-4 and above you can't trade but everything else below is alright. At least that's how it's always been.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Thundercracker posted:

This specifically never got answered, so: To set up StreetPass in MH, talk to the mailman cat in the port marina (just to the right of your equipment box) and he'll walk you through it. Then whenever you pass someone who's also sharing MH data, you'll exchange guild cards.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I have a guild card from someone I streetpassed, but i've never played multiplayer with him. I don't ever seem to see him in the "hunters for hire" section when I check it. What gives? Is there something else I need to be doing or should I just check more often?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

mcpringles posted:

Is the hunters rank based on the friend or myself? I have 3 goons I played with on day 1 who are all still HR1. Could I get better items by adding high HR people?

My HR1 friend only has a quest to turn in potions; while some HR6+ Goon has a Barioth hunt mission. I'm assuming that higher ranks get better missions.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Can brachydios hurt himself with his own slime explosions? I've seen a lot of people say that he's not affected by his own slime, but I've also seen his horn and hands mysteriously break when an explosion goes off beneath him.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Isn't him flinching from his own slime how you get wyvern tears out of him?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

TalonDemonKing posted:

Isn't him flinching from his own slime how you get wyvern tears out of him?

I wouldn't know: I'm usually busy trying not to get fistsploded to pay attention to shinies.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

TalonDemonKing posted:

My HR1 friend only has a quest to turn in potions; while some HR6+ Goon has a Barioth hunt mission. I'm assuming that higher ranks get better missions.

Nope. It's all random, otherwise I wouldn't be able to send my hr2 pals out to hunt G rank Brachies.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

God, it's hard hearing you all enjoy yourselves. I'd love to hop in online, but I have absolutely no plans on acquiring a WiiU. Has anyone announced any plans to create ad-hoc tunneling software for 3DS multiplayer, or am I just out of luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Orfeo posted:

God, it's hard hearing you all enjoy yourselves. I'd love to hop in online, but I have absolutely no plans on acquiring a WiiU. Has anyone announced any plans to create ad-hoc tunneling software for 3DS multiplayer, or am I just out of luck?

I would assume it would require some Wii-U hacking and or emulation, so it will probably be a while.

• Locked thread