Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Let's say that (for various reasons) I wanted to make super-low ABV versions of some of my recipes (mostly saisons). Is it as simple as just scaling down the recipe from 6% to 2.5%, or are there other factors I need to consider?

How low can you go before things start to fall apart and you're no longer making beer that's worth drinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'd say scale your hops back as well. I made a 4% pale ale that had way too much hop flavor for the amount of malt backbone it had. I love super hoppy beers as much as anyone but this beer came out like hop water.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

internet celebrity posted:

I'd say scale your hops back as well. I made a 4% pale ale that had way too much hop flavor for the amount of malt backbone it had. I love super hoppy beers as much as anyone but this beer came out like hop water.

Related, you might want to mash way higher than normal. It can help make up for the maltiness and body you're losing going down to 2% or whatever.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Imasalmon posted:

processed cheeses are crazy with the lactose, though. American cheese is often high on lactose content.
So what you're suggesting is someone make a milk stout by blending up some Kraft Singles American cheesefood product and adding it to the secondary?

I also made a smoked maple ale but one of my brew helpers said he'd grind my specialty grains for me and then dumped them directly on the dirty garage floor 30 seconds later.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Shbobdb posted:

Munich malt can convert itself but it usually struggles. German rye malt is also very undermodified (basically, the Roggenbier breweries wanted to use unmalted rye but couldn't so they used the least modified rye they could get away with under the RHG). Plus rye is tricky and tends to lower mash efficiency anyway. Given the grainbill, I'd say that is pretty good.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind next time. What's the general rule for how much 2-row you need to add to a partial mash for a pound of specialty? Even on Beersmith's blog they are extremely vague about this.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
1:1 is usually pretty good - that is, a pound of 2-row for each pound of specialty grains or adjuncts.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

CapnBry posted:

So what you're suggesting is someone make a milk stout by blending up some Kraft Singles American cheesefood product and adding it to the secondary?
I'm literally afraid to search for this on HBT because someone has probably tried it :gonk:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

nmfree posted:

I'm literally afraid to search for this on HBT because someone has probably tried it :gonk:

Cheese Beer :wtf:

There needs to be some kind of homebrewing Rule 34. "If it exists, there is a homebrewtalk thread about brewing with it. No exceptions."

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Docjowles posted:

Related, you might want to mash way higher than normal. It can help make up for the maltiness and body you're losing going down to 2% or whatever.

Thanks, this was the sort of thing I was looking for.

We're trying to get our pool beers brewed and ready for the summer (it's too hot here to brew from June-August) and I'd love to have a lower-calorie, low alcohol alternative to bring with me. Plus I want to see how far we can stretch the idea.

Not that I'm unhappy with floating around on a raft sipping a quad, but ...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I feel like this thread has mentioned cheese beer before but I might be confusing it with a homebrew club discussion about adding Kraft Mac powder to beer. I think someone did as a joke at some point but that might be wishful thinking and drunk homebrew clubbing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Haha, gross. Serve with sharp smoked cheddar to counteract any laxative effects!

I eat a ton of cheddar and it just blows through me. I don't think I'm intolerant though.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Imasalmon posted:

As an aside, my 100% smoked malt lager is done and delicious. If anyone wants to try it, I am feeling generous and will send out a bottle. PM me.

Gratzer I split with a dude in my club is kegged at his place and I cannot wait to pull a growler of it. Which smoked malt did you use?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Thank you friends for putting up with my really dumb panicky questions. Gonna give the smaller case a week and the bigger one way more time. For some reason it didn't fit nearly as many as I thought (though one of those loose bottles is a bomber).

One question, though, how do I clean grain bags? Apparently somebody put them in a bowl in another room and they're sort of gross but there's a number of small pieces I can't easily dislodge.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Saint Darwin posted:

Thank you friends for putting up with my really dumb panicky questions. Gonna give the smaller case a week and the bigger one way more time. For some reason it didn't fit nearly as many as I thought (though one of those loose bottles is a bomber).

One question, though, how do I clean grain bags? Apparently somebody put them in a bowl in another room and they're sort of gross but there's a number of small pieces I can't easily dislodge.

I usually let mine dry out and shake them. I have tossed them in the dishwasher too, on the top shelf, and that seems to work pretty well. Mostly, I throw them out because they are so cheap.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Saint Darwin posted:

I flip mine inside-out, rinse them under cold water to get all of the loose particles off, and then just throw them in the laundry. Gets them surprisingly clean, whether full of grain or hops.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Jacobey000 posted:

Gratzer I split with a dude in my club is kegged at his place and I cannot wait to pull a growler of it. Which smoked malt did you use?

100% Weyerman Rauchmalt

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Marshmallow Blue posted:

-The Cheese-monger's Reserve- 1 Gallon Recipe
So when do you plan to use the oak?

Citizen Park
Nov 11, 2012

So I recently finished a kit of Merlot from Vintner's Reserve let it sit after bottling for a couple of days before trying it out. The taste is watery, neither dry nor sweet, and slightly acidic. To say the least I was slightly disappointed but it is a learning experience. However, I seek further knowledge to avoid this further or perhaps even salvage the current situation. So, any knowledge you have to share I would greatly appreciate.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

nmfree posted:

So when do you plan to use the oak?

Probably at the beginning of the aging process after I stabilize and add the pear juice. This way the oak has time to blend with the rest of the mead. I couldn't give you a specific time frame on how long the oak will stay in there as with oak chips, it's always a bit different in terms of how long it needs to sit in there. It just means I'll have to drink more samples!

Edit: I also checked the gravity on my Chocolate Mock (it cant be a bock because I used ale yeast, so its a porter now). The gravity is dwon to 1.021 so its at ~4.2%, Its still fermenting too, It has me a tad concerned about over attenuating this one but we'll see. I guess a thin 5.5% is better than a heavy 3%, so I'll :dealwithit:

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 2, 2013

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Later this week I'll be bottling a vanilla coffee porter. The porter's been in secondary with two vanilla beans for about 2 and a half weeks and I'll be adding coffee on bottling day. I'm probably going to cold brew about 10 cups of the coffee I'm using to add to the bottling bucket. I'll be brewing the coffee in a sanitized glass jar, should I do any other sanitization things for the coffee before hand?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

Later this week I'll be bottling a vanilla coffee porter. The porter's been in secondary with two vanilla beans for about 2 and a half weeks and I'll be adding coffee on bottling day. I'm probably going to cold brew about 10 cups of the coffee I'm using to add to the bottling bucket. I'll be brewing the coffee in a sanitized glass jar, should I do any other sanitization things for the coffee before hand?

I think the alcohol in the beer should take care of anything that made it through the sanitized pot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Coffee (even cold) isn't a very friendly environment for microorganisms either. Anything that can survive/grow in a jar of coffee and then in fermented beer probably deserves to rule the earth.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Has anyone tried a cold coffee extraction using vodka or other high-test booze? I wonder if the alcohol changes what is extracted, and thus the flavor of the extract.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

Citizen Park posted:

So I recently finished a kit of Merlot from Vintner's Reserve let it sit after bottling for a couple of days before trying it out. The taste is watery, neither dry nor sweet, and slightly acidic. To say the least I was slightly disappointed but it is a learning experience. However, I seek further knowledge to avoid this further or perhaps even salvage the current situation. So, any knowledge you have to share I would greatly appreciate.
I've done a few wine kits and it seems like it's for making good not great wine at half the cost of store bought. If you followed the directions, not much to do except try a different kit next time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jo3sh posted:

Has anyone tried a cold coffee extraction using vodka or other high-test booze? I wonder if the alcohol changes what is extracted, and thus the flavor of the extract.

I have done it with both coffee and cocoa. I'm not sure I could compare it though since I haven't done it with those combinations again. I got a strangely acidic flavor in the final beer, actually, although that might have been due to the grain bill or for other reasons.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Has anyone here constructed a recirculating whirlpool arm? I'm in the process of doing that, and can't decide to buy something premade or bent a single piece of copper on my own.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Banana wine update: Transferred to secondary, only lost half a gallon to lees and other junk. Now I'll wait for another three months or so before I decide whether or not to go to a tertiary fermentation or to just go to bottles. That's when I'll make the decision to add sulfites or not, as well.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
For those in the bay area, there is a guy hoping to open a commercial meadery (is this a word?) in Berkeley in the next few months.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2013/04/02/artisan-alcohol-boom-continues-with-mead-kitchen/

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

withak posted:

For those in the bay area, there is a guy hoping to open a commercial meadery (is this a word?) in Berkeley in the next few months.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2013/04/02/artisan-alcohol-boom-continues-with-mead-kitchen/

The correct term is "meadery," yes. How do I know? Because I played Skyrim.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Angry Grimace posted:

The correct term is "meadery," yes. How do I know? Because I played Skyrim.

My condolences

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Jo3sh posted:

I have made coffee vodka before. Is this what you are talking about?

-Fifth of mid shelf vodka
-Cup of home roasted Panamanian beans, crushed with mortar and pestle

I let the coffee sit in the vodka for about a month, then strained with my french press. I would definitely suggest using a light roast, as I thought mine was a little bitter/astringent right out of the bottle. After some aging it got a lot better, but a French Roast might have been way too much.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

ScaerCroe posted:

Yeah, I was just thinking about the (small) risk of infection from water-extracted coffee and was thinking maybe doing an extract with beans and vodka (just as the thread had advocated spice tinctures, etc. in the past) would reduce the risk even further. For that purpose, though, I would think you would want more beans per volume of vodka, to minimize the dose required to add good flavor to the beer.

When you say 'mid-shelf' vodka, what do you typically use?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

ScaerCroe posted:

-Fifth of mid shelf vodka
-Cup of home roasted Panamanian beans, crushed with mortar and pestle

I let the coffee sit in the vodka for about a month, then strained with my french press. I would definitely suggest using a light roast, as I thought mine was a little bitter/astringent right out of the bottle. After some aging it got a lot better, but a French Roast might have been way too much.

What did you do with that, and how would you compare it to a cup of coffee made with those beans? Any chance the caffeine survived? My ~girlfriend~ does liquor extracts and I'll hassle her to do some coffee if it's actually an improvement over store-bought coffee vodka which has never, ever impressed me.

Midrange would be what, Titos?

edit: Ugh gotta bring the coffee thread into this, but a deburrer might be preferable for a more consistent grind. I don't know if it matters after a month of steeping, though :rolleyes:

almost
Sep 2, 2012

almost fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 15, 2013

Citizen Park
Nov 11, 2012

BerkerkLurk posted:

I've done a few wine kits and it seems like it's for making good not great wine at half the cost of store bought. If you followed the directions, not much to do except try a different kit next time.

Any ideas for how to salvage my situation though? I'd rather not dump it unless there was no saving it.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Citizen Park posted:

Any ideas for how to salvage my situation though? I'd rather not dump it unless there was no saving it.

Is it really that bad that you want to dump it?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Saint Darwin posted:

Midrange would be what, Titos?

Titos is high end at a mid-shelf price. Grey Goose is low-mid end at a mid-high and price. There's a fascinating article on how the brand is purely marketing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Midorka posted:

Titos is high end at a mid-shelf price. Grey Goose is low-mid end at a mid-high and price. There's a fascinating article on how the brand is purely marketing.

I don't want to derail the beer thread with vodkachat, but any chance you could find it? I already knew they were really just a lot of marketing. I end up with a lot of Titos because when we have a party a friend invariably brings a handle over, but when I get to piI ck my own I prefer Ketel One.

I plan to do a habanero vodka infusion for a spicy beer I'm making, someone mentioned the technique a page or so ago, so I'm trying to figure out what works best since a plastic bottle is probably a terrible idea, and not sure it needs an expensive vodka.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Saint Darwin posted:

I don't want to derail the beer thread with vodkachat, but any chance you could find it? I already knew they were really just a lot of marketing. I end up with a lot of Titos because when we have a party a friend invariably brings a handle over, but when I get to piI ck my own I prefer Ketel One.

I plan to do a habanero vodka infusion for a spicy beer I'm making, someone mentioned the technique a page or so ago, so I'm trying to figure out what works best since a plastic bottle is probably a terrible idea, and not sure it needs an expensive vodka.

Here it is. I haven't read it in about a year but I am pretty sure the gist of it is "let's create a super premium price for mid level vodka and start a trend."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I've done almost all of my vodka infusions with cheap vodka, with no ill effects. I have a bottle of Skol in my apartment just for making vodka infusions, and so far I've never noticed any bad flavors from it. The volume that you're adding in comparison to the finished beer is so small that it'd be nearly impossible to detect any detriment from a lesser-quality vodka.

As for the sanitation of cold coffee extractions, I've never had a problem with it. Hell, Goose Island does cold extract for BCBS Coffee using gigantic old-rear end grundys, and so far we've never run into any infection problems there. But if you really want to be super-safe, do what I did for the last coffee stout I did: Boil the sugar/water priming mixture, and in the last minute throw in the cold-extract coffee. It'll shock it to a high temperature without boiling off all the aroma you want, and will still keep it from being overly bitter or astringent. At least, I can't detect any off flavors from it, and it's probably one of the best beers I've done.