Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chipped in my $5 for now. I'm coming up on the end of my first playthrough of PS:T and I'm really psyched about seeing this game completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

This new stretch goal list proves the team to be outright monsters. If we don't get those companion quests I'll be left looking at my party members and thinking "You could have been so much more.", then I have to cast them out into the wilderness in shame.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

I like to imagine that the devs aren't really expecting to reach the goals past 4 million and it's there just to drive up attention, and then some miracle happens where they reach 4.5 million and they're like "Oh god, now we HAVE to make all this stuff :negative:"

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Satanos posted:

This new stretch goal list proves the team to be outright monsters. If we don't get those companion quests I'll be left looking at my party members and thinking "You could have been so much more.", then I have to cast them out into the wilderness in shame.

Yeah, that poo poo is a big enough deal I'll up my pledge.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
They threw those things out pretty late in the kickstarter.

I hope they give us up to the 3.7 mark out of sympathy for mass-loyalty. :ohdear:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
The one stretch goal that made me laugh was 'Another exit from the labyrinth in another part of the world!'

That's like, 10 minutes of coding.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Twee as gently caress posted:

The one stretch goal that made me laugh was 'Another exit from the labyrinth in another part of the world!'

That's like, 10 minutes of coding.

It's probably not worded well, but the idea is that there are completely new areas attached to those special exits that are otherwise unreachable.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

If it was a transport button to existing places and nothing else changes, sure, but it would change if you enter that way, not to mention the update explicitly says this will be a method of accessing an otherwise inaccessible place (as in: new area is included in this SG).

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Kinda on the fence here. I'm on the super cheapskate option and thinking about moving it to $58 to get all the novellas and comic books (don't really care about the soundtrack) but that's more than I'm usually willing to spend on a full AAA game and money's tight since I had to order some plane tickets last month.

Guess I still have a day or so to decide.

edit: I also have tomorrow off of work so I have all day to stare at the options and have them weaken my willpower.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Brother None posted:

If it was a transport button to existing places and nothing else changes, sure, but it would change if you enter that way, not to mention the update explicitly says this will be a method of accessing an otherwise inaccessible place (as in: new area is included in this SG).

Of course, I understand but it could have been worded better to make it clear that it was the case. It's kind of like having an update titled '4.5 millions - 3 new capes will be available' and in the details write down 'that will be worn by three new companions'

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Of course, I understand but it could have been worded better to make it clear that it was the case. It's kind of like having an update titled '4.5 millions - 3 new capes will be available' and in the details write down 'that will be worn by three new companions'

Haha. Well put :D

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Hey Brother None, will t-shirts/posters be sent out after the kickstarter finishes or when the game is shipped?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why hello again, Colin. Such a nice face you have. Would be a shame if something were to happen to it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoi1tvqzMaI

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Schurik posted:

Hey Brother None, will t-shirts/posters be sent out after the kickstarter finishes or when the game is shipped?

Certainly not right after, but maybe before release (like we did with WL2). Assume it ships with the game tho, that's the baseline.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

The Crotch posted:

Why hello again, Colin. Such a nice face you have. Would be a shame if something were to happen to it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoi1tvqzMaI

"Updating my apology."

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Brother None posted:

Certainly not right after, but maybe before release (like we did with WL2). Assume it ships with the game tho, that's the baseline.

*sigh* I thought so. was really hoping to have a poster on the wall to tide me over.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Seven fathoms. Look up!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I keep thinking that they can't possibly do anything else with that image, but then they do anyway.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Darkhold posted:

Kinda on the fence here. I'm on the super cheapskate option and thinking about moving it to $58 to get all the novellas and comic books (don't really care about the soundtrack) but that's more than I'm usually willing to spend on a full AAA game and money's tight since I had to order some plane tickets last month.

Guess I still have a day or so to decide.

edit: I also have tomorrow off of work so I have all day to stare at the options and have them weaken my willpower.

Well, consider that if you upgrade your pledge from the 20 dollar level to something higher that 20 dollar level will almost certainly be snatched up close to immediately. You'll be helping out the project by your additional monies PLUS 20 dollars from someone else.

Basically, anything that helps us get to that 3.5 million mark!

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 2, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GhostBoy posted:

Seven fathoms. Look up!

Given all of the fathoms and the new Lacunae and whatnot, I think I'll probably spend whole sessions doing nothing except hanging around being dead.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Looks like gog.com is going to distribute the game, so that's a plus. Here's hopinh $4m gets reached because another city is pretty major.

Also, my vote goes for the sending Rothfuss into the world option.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Is too soon to talk about how the combat system will be implemented?

I've been playing ToEE this week, and would be great to have something like that.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

GhostBoy posted:

Seven fathoms. Look up!

Look up! Look up!
Don't look'em in the eye!
Look up! Look up!
You're here until you die.

Look up! Look up!
You'll always be a slave,
Look up! Look up!
You're standing in your grave.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

FriggenJ posted:

Well, consider that if you upgrade your pledge from the 20 dollar level to something higher that 20 dollar level will almost certainly be snatched up close to immediately. You'll be helping out the project by your additional monies PLUS 20 dollars from someone else.

Basically, anything that helps us get to that 3.5 million mark!

Yeah, I just upgraded my pledge to the $45 dollar level to get Wastelands 2 as well and, of course, the $20 pledge level is already full again.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The new stretch goals are looking incredibly sweet. Upping my $20, and hoping that we hit the 4 million mark.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Those unachievable stretch goals really are cruel. On the plus side, maybe they'll still find a way to give us strongholds down the line as DLC if the game ends up selling well.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Sinteres posted:

Those unachievable stretch goals really are cruel. On the plus side, maybe they'll still find a way to give us strongholds down the line as DLC if the game ends up selling well.

I'm not entirely sure what the metric will be for "selling well" post kickstarter. My suspicion is they've already made the lionshare of the sales they'll receive via tier donations. Of course, I can't help but hope that I'm totally wrong and they get tons of post-release sales but we're marching into the unknown here with these games.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

FriggenJ posted:

I'm not entirely sure what the metric will be for "selling well" post kickstarter. My suspicion is they've already made the lionshare of the sales they'll receive via tier donations. Of course, I can't help but hope that I'm totally wrong and they get tons of post-release sales but we're marching into the unknown here with these games.

It's really hard to say, because there haven't been games like Wasteland 2, Project: Eternity, or Torment released in a long time, but I have to think that the ceiling for a new hardcore PC RPG available on Steam and GoG is more than 60k-70k.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's fair to assume that a lot of people aren't into the Kickstarter Games thing, and don't want to pay now for something they won't get for a year and a half. I don't know how many people that applies to, but in this day and age people are more discerning with their money in general.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yep, I'm willing to bet that for every person who was willing to pre-order 18+ months in advance there are probably 8-10 people who would be interested in buying it when it's released with good reviews. Throw in a 30% off Steam sale and that number goes up even further.

I think Wasteland 2, Torment, and Project Eternity are going to make plenty of cash. In fact, given the way that video game budgets work, (big publisher pays the developer a fixed sum to make the game and keeps all the profits) it wouldn't surprise me if Obsidian makes way more profit off P:E then they ever have off big titles like New Vegas.

EDIT: Legend of Grimrock sold 600,000 copies. I'm pretty sure the spiritual reincarnation of Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate (P:E) will sell at least that much, even if a decent chunk is during Steam sales.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 3, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My problem is that I'm in for $20 but none of the rewards before the player's guide at $75 really interest me. I'll probably convince myself to hop up to $39 for the novellas before I go to bed tonight, but even that's kind of a stretch. I understand that Cook needs to get paid too, but if there was a tier with just the game and the RPG corebook at like $50 I'd be up for it in a heartbeat.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

NmareBfly posted:

My problem is that I'm in for $20 but none of the rewards before the player's guide at $75 really interest me. I'll probably convince myself to hop up to $39 for the novellas before I go to bed tonight, but even that's kind of a stretch. I understand that Cook needs to get paid too, but if there was a tier with just the game and the RPG corebook at like $50 I'd be up for it in a heartbeat.
Do you have Wasteland 2 yet? Because the 45 dollar tier is pretty darned convenient and worth getting if you don't.

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.
How does anyone here feel about the Tide system? From the little i know of it, it just seems to be needlessly complex. Seems to me that crafting a nuanced system that has up to 16 different elements to an extremely challenging task. One that i think may detract from the overall writing and experience. I'm not sure i care the intricate multiple number of options of reactivity in as much as i care about the quality of interaction.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
There are not 16 different elements at all.

There are 5

The 16 different things are about having an incomplete dominance, a near complete dominance of one of the 5 colors OR incomplete dominance with your top 2 being:
Blue and gold
Blue and indigo
Blue and silver
Blue and red
Gold and indigo
Gold and silver
Gold and red
Indigo and silver
Indigo and red
Silver and red

Between these 10 color combos, the 5 solo colors and no dominant color, you get 16 legacies.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Couple of new interviews:

http://www.destructoid.com/chris-avellone-on-torment-and-being-a-human-stretch-goal-250577.phtml

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/03/brian-fargo-interview-torment-micromarkets-and-the-ongoing-war-with-the-clowns/

quote:

I was also supposed to relay the information that “The clowns have made peace with Avellone, and they’re coming for you.”

[laughs] Wow. Let me tell you… Not inside Wasteland they haven’t.

Oh, really?

No, the clowns still want Avellone.

lol

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Fathoms.

Is the current Fathom (the bonus fathom) the seventh fathom, or is that coming up at 63,000 backers? And of those two fathoms, which one is depicted in the sky in the expanded artwork?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nilbop posted:

Fathoms.

Is the current Fathom (the bonus fathom) the seventh fathom, or is that coming up at 63,000 backers? And of those two fathoms, which one is depicted in the sky in the expanded artwork?

The current Castoff's Labyrinth art shows 7 fathoms. The most recently revealed fathom was from the Facebook promotion and is the sky layer.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

On another note about the remaining day spike everyone's seen, is that you can hit the remind me button on the kstarter page, and it sends you an e-mail to the page when there's two days (48 hours) left for pledging.

I usually do that for lots of projects I see that are interesting or half-fulfilled or want to hold off on until next payday, or what have you. There's probably an amount of people that did that and left for the month.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Some big spender needs to make sure 4mill happens. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

FRINGE posted:

Some big spender needs to make sure 4mill happens. :colbert:

Where's Notch at? Has he contributed yet?

• Locked thread