Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Goatmask posted:

Absolute Sandman I am not familiar with, would you say that this is a good representation of what you get:
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/09/23/absolute-sandman-recoloring/
Basically--Original moody and well-chosen colors replaced wholesale with cheap, obnoxious, and garish Photoshop gradients. There was a post at CBR that really went through them, but I can't find it. The worst part is that AFAIK, these became the colors used in all new trades, so I'm glad I have my original trades/HCs. I love that everyone disagreed with the writer of that CA piece, because that was horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
DID SOMEONE SAY lovely RECOLORING

I hope everyone responsible for doing this to The Incal was fired.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Why is it that so many of these recoloring jobs take the original crisp high-craftsmanship linework and completly obscure it with a bunch of cribbing from smeary photo-manip style like Greg Horn's? Uggghghghg.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Hahaha, what is with these?! "Everything's all stylized and colourful? THAT'S NOT HOW REAL LIFE LOOKS!!!!"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Since we're doing recoloring I really dislike both the Year One and Killing Joke recolouring.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
War Year One the one in which the artist got really pissed off due to the recoloring in the Deluxe edition or did he get pissed about something else?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah Mazzucchelli specifically spoke out before it was released trying to get people not to buy it due to how bad the recoloring, paper quality and design were.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
I could be wrong, but I think your sample of Year One was actually from an earlier recolouring of the book, which was necessary due to it no longer being printed on newsprint and was approved by Mazzucchelli. The recent reprint of the book that he disapproved of had other issues like low quality images, a redesigned cover, and being printed on glossy paper. In fact, I don't think this version was actually recoloured, because I found this quote from Mazzucchelli clarifying the issue:

quote:

No, just inferior production values [compared to the previous design]. And the re-coloring is only of the cover. The interior is Richmond’s color, but printed from corrupted, out-of focus digital files.

So those were two different problems.

Yeti Yeti Yeti fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 2, 2013

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Since we're doing recoloring I really dislike both the Year One and Killing Joke recolouring.

Re-colouring is one thing, but what is even the point behind removing the yellow and purple from Batman and Joker's outfits?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, that Year One recoloring doesn't look that different at all. I rather like the water-color look of it. The Killing Joke one is horrendous, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

The Killing Joke one is horrendous, though.
My favorite part is how actual art was deleted to make the new color scheme work.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

I could be wrong, but I think you sample of Year One was actually from an earlier recolouring of the book, which was necessary due to it no longer being printed on newsprint and was approved by Mazzucchelli. The recent reprint of the book that he disapproved of had other issues like low quality images, a redesigned cover, and being printed on glossy paper. In fact, I don't think this version was actually recoloured, because I found this quote from Mazzucchelli clarifying the issue:

So those were two different problems.

My bad.

I thought I might be getting a few things mixed up. I still really prefer the original from the effect given off by the paper quality.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

Why is it that so many of these recoloring jobs take the original crisp high-craftsmanship linework and completly obscure it with a bunch of cribbing from smeary photo-manip style like Greg Horn's? Uggghghghg.

Probably just because it sells well. As to why that is, who can only say?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Waterhaul posted:

My bad.

I thought I might be getting a few things mixed up. I still really prefer the original from the effect given off by the paper quality.

I don't know about the rest of the book, but I think the recoloring of Batman's costume from blue to black was a good touch. Maybe it depends on how you first experience the book.

Also, I think the older a book is the less it should be recolored. Someone posted an image dump somewhere of a bunch of recolored stuff, and the stuff from the sixties and seventies looked horrendous, but some of the nineties stuff, like Liefeld's X-Force, looked pretty drat good as far as Liefeld goes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

I don't know about the rest of the book, but I think the recoloring of Batman's costume from blue to black was a good touch. Maybe it depends on how you first experience the book.

Also, I think the older a book is the less it should be recolored. Someone posted an image dump somewhere of a bunch of recolored stuff, and the stuff from the sixties and seventies looked horrendous, but some of the nineties stuff, like Liefeld's X-Force, looked pretty drat good as far as Liefeld goes.
Older stuff absolutely has to be recolored in modern reprints. It literally can't be reprinted without doing it. They no longer use the old color separation techniques and current paper leads to colors looking way more garish than they did on newsprint if the same coloring is used.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

The other problem with these recolouring jobs is that they always remove any colour cast, colouring every scene as if they were uniformly lit with D50 lighting. It makes everything so bland and just ruins the atmosphere. Plus, colourists working with limited palettes had to pay attention to colour theory, whereas most modern colourists clearly don't give any thought into which colours look good together. With superhero comics, this is a big problem since a page of characters in different brightly coloured spandex usually looks awful without the colours being muted by a strong colour cast.

Like Endless Mike said, recolouring is often necessary (eg, one of the problems with the new version of Year One was that the colours weren't optimized for glossy paper) but I wish they would at least attempt to keep the tone of the original colours.

Now for something less lovely, the colours in The Flash look pretty good.

And the spot colour style of Darwyn Cooke's Parker books

Especially in the Confessions Weekly part of the second book (see the second image)

Yeti Yeti Yeti fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 2, 2013

Tommy2toes
Jun 27, 2004
cows go moo
The problem is less about modern coloring being bad and more about how dc/marvel pay next to nothing for "remastering colors" and just use the fastest people they can get to poo poo them out.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Apparently when you recolor something, you have to remove all lighting and color temperature?

Anyways, this was posted on the Hawkeye Initiative and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with her body. She's apparently just a giant hip with a boob and an arm sticking out of it.

Edit: I'd love to see someone redraw her when he's just standing straight up.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 5, 2013

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

Apparently when you recolor something, you have to remove all lighting and color temperature?

Anyways, this was posted on the Hawkeye Initiative and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with her body. She's apparently just a giant hip with a boob and an arm sticking out of it.

:psypop:

I chuckled for a solid minute at this. I'm not really sure what the gently caress is going on either. It looks like her body is merging into that black electric blob in the left corner there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
In memory of Carmine Infantino

Flash 123

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Fish Of Doom posted:

Unfortunately this happened more than once during Sana Takeda's Ms. Marvel tenure. Her X-23 issues were pretty solid so I'm not sure what happened here.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Fallen Rib

Fish Of Doom posted:

She looks like she has a...growth or something coming out of her side.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bobkatt013 posted:

In memory of Carmine Infantino

Flash 123

Here is some more images.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of my first comic books was an issue of The Flash, and I thought it might have been by Infantino but after a little digging online I find it was Ross Andru.

He's sweating right through his mask. :pwn:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fish Of Doom posted:

I tried to make this easier to parse, and... IT WORKED

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

The "AMUSING" in the top corner is just so great.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

scary ghost dog posted:

That's actually quite a bit better than the original. I wonder whether that huge cloud of What The gently caress was just put in by an over-eager colorist, like the inexplicable bright orange blaze on the top of her butt - that's behind her cape and hair, what's lighting that? The big baby oil gleam along the hip also really messes up the sense of shape. There are other things that are technically wrong with the lighting but those two really stand out.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Waterhaul posted:

Here is some more images.

The fourth one is striking because he's looking at the viewer with a look that's...I dunno. His eyes have some serious sarcasm going on.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm suprised you didn't include the Flash cover where Captain Cold is directly talking to the reader about how he'd like tot ell you what he did to the Flash, but they wouldn't let him and there's a big CENSORED sign. It's pretty creative.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Here's some more Carmine Infantino

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm suprised you didn't include the Flash cover where Captain Cold is directly talking to the reader about how he'd like tot ell you what he did to the Flash, but they wouldn't let him and there's a big CENSORED sign. It's pretty creative.

I actually hadn't seen the cover but you're right it's pretty drat great.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Looks more like the tagline should be "Flash kicked this guy's rear end so bad he fled to the cover, but Flash ain't gonna let that stop him!"

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Wendell posted:

Looks more like the tagline should be "Flash kicked this guy's rear end so bad he fled to the cover, but Flash ain't gonna let that stop him!"

Well you can't blame him, Flash looks to be like four or five times the guy's size. Wait on further study, Flash's head is like 4 times the size, but they're hands are nearly the same size.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Those Infantino covers are amazing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My favorite's the one with the Rogues peering over the logo at the fallen Flash. That's downright frameable in my opinion.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

My favorite's the one with the Rogues peering over the logo at the fallen Flash. That's downright frameable in my opinion.

One of my favorite covers. Striking and iconic.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

"The new DC. There's no stopping us now."

Oh geez.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Fallen Rib

Goatmask posted:

"The new DC. There's no stopping us now."

Oh geez.

I am pretty sure that refers to the logo change.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Hahahahahahaha this deserves to be framed, or in a textbook or something. This is incredible. How many hours of painstaking work did it take to convert this image fully into dogshit?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's like someone didn't get the memo that that wasn't supposed to look like Earth water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

swamp waste posted:

Hahahahahahaha this deserves to be framed, or in a textbook or something. This is incredible. How many hours of painstaking work did it take to convert this image fully into dogshit?

The original looked like dogshit as well, but at least it wasn't polished dogshit. The Incal is not Moebius's finest hour.