Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've totally forgotten what I did to get such a smooth start on my first game. The second one is beating me into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
New Empires DLC is out, 2 armor sets at .99, an armor pack containing 2 different sets at 1.99, a Scenario based on The Water Margin(I think?) containing two abodes and a new Twin Sword for 3.99, and a free accessory pack.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Since people are talking about the Sengoku Jidai, is there a good book on the period that covers the whole thing in a Romance of the Three Kingdoms style? There are so many great stories in the Sengoku that I'd think there would have to be one. Not looking for something like Shogun that focuses exclusively on the Nobunaga/Hideoyoshi/Ieyasu days at the end.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The GIG posted:

New Empires DLC is out, 2 armor sets at .99, an armor pack containing 2 different sets at 1.99, a Scenario based on The Water Margin(I think?) containing two abodes and a new Twin Sword for 3.99, and a free accessory pack.

Also, a free "fantasy" scenario pack, which has a scenario and two fantasy setting castles.

Some of the castles they have are freaking cool, especially that western bar one.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Patter Song posted:

Since people are talking about the Sengoku Jidai, is there a good book on the period that covers the whole thing in a Romance of the Three Kingdoms style? There are so many great stories in the Sengoku that I'd think there would have to be one. Not looking for something like Shogun that focuses exclusively on the Nobunaga/Hideoyoshi/Ieyasu days at the end.
My recollection (at least of "common" histories) is that there just isn't much juicy in the near-century period before Okehazama, and even prior battles of Kawanakajima (the in-game one is the fourth) in 1553, 1555 and 1557 -- plus the fifth and final battle in 1564 -- were apparently mainly skirmishes.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Patter Song posted:

I'd be interested too. I finished up Romance this week and would like something new to read. :)

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This was posted to one of Koei's 50000 Facebook accounts:

edit: changed image url

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 3, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

"Until the next one!"

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

360 version confirmed. :getin:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

abagofcheetos posted:

This was posted to one of Koei's 50000 Facebook accounts:

I found out what the picture was by going into the quote screen for this post but it didn't initially show up, just so you know.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Now that I have a PS3 I'm not going to be getting the 360 version like I did with 7. I'm not going to be shafted with XL only being released on PS3.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

PureRok posted:

Now that I have a PS3 I'm not going to be getting the 360 version like I did with 7. I'm not going to be shafted with XL only being released on PS3.

I would've felt shafted also, except DW7:E satisfied my itch for the XL content. The biggest gaffe that I thought DW7 vanilla committed was not shipping Guan Yu without his proper weapon. I still hate his EX, but that C5 sure makes up for it.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Wasn't Empires also only released on PS3?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

PureRok posted:

Pretty much this.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Gimnbo posted:

Wasn't Empires also only released on PS3?

Yep. I have both consoles. I just got DW7 on the XBox.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gimnbo posted:

360 version confirmed. :getin:

Just don't hold your breath for the XL :smug:

Fake Edit: beaten

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So what makes 8 better than 7 to those who have played it?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, don't play the last "what if" Wei mission in DW8 unless you want to kill (not just force to retreat) every single officer in the Shu army, one by one. That was kind of a depressing fight.

This should be a bullet point on the back of the case.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

So what makes 8 better than 7 to those who have played it?

Decloning all of the characters is the biggest thing to me. There's a unique EX weapon with a unique moveset for every single character, and the weapon switching thing from 7 returns so now you have the best of both worlds. Every character has like four musou attacks too. Being able to automatically mount your horse by holding L2 is huge. You can select from among a handful of characters for every stage in story mode so you're not just playing Sun Quan over and over again. I really like the way every kingdom's story mode has been split into two routes, one historical and one very not. Also co-op is back for story mode.

Most of the new characters are pretty cool too

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

PureRok posted:

I am going to be getting the 360 version, because I don't own a PS3, and half the experience is still better than none. I'm still going to be disappointed (but not surprised) if Koei shafts us on XL again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

Decloning all of the characters is the biggest thing to me. There's a unique EX weapon with a unique moveset for every single character, and the weapon switching thing from 7 returns so now you have the best of both worlds. Every character has like four musou attacks too. Being able to automatically mount your horse by holding L2 is huge. You can select from among a handful of characters for every stage in story mode so you're not just playing Sun Quan over and over again. I really like the way every kingdom's story mode has been split into two routes, one historical and one very not. Also co-op is back for story mode.

Most of the new characters are pretty cool too

Yeah. They're gonna have to work really hard to outdo themselves in the next game, because 8 is definitely the best so far. Maybe it's finally time to actually modernize the gameplay and graphics engine but hahaha who am I kidding, this is Omega Force.

edit: the what if scenarios weren't anywhere near as interesting as the historical ones though. Part of the reason I like DW is because by virtue of being based on reality, it can't have a ridiculous good triumphs over evil and everyone cheers story. That's exactly what the what if endings are.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah. They're gonna have to work really hard to outdo themselves in the next game, because 8 is definitely the best so far. Maybe it's finally time to actually modernize the gameplay and graphics engine but hahaha who am I kidding, this is Omega Force.

Call in that Ninja Gaiden team, I'm sure they can help.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Policenaut posted:

Dynasty Warriors 9 features a cast of three playable characters: Two pairs of disembodied heaving jiggly boobs with the names "WEI" and "SHU" stamped on them, and Ryu Hayabusa :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
At least Hayabusa and Ayane were fun to use in WO3. Izuna Dropping into a mob was baller.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: the what if scenarios weren't anywhere near as interesting as the historical ones though. Part of the reason I like DW is because by virtue of being based on reality, it can't have a ridiculous good triumphs over evil and everyone cheers story. That's exactly what the what if endings are.
To some extent, isn't this basically why DW7 was such a big shift, because the prior games basically went "ridiculous good triumphs over evil and everyone cheers"? Mind you, with 7 they basically went topsy-turvy when it came to the traditional characterizations...

... but Three Kingdoms 2010 and Ravages of Time still are better in the story though. :colbert: Hell, just for this. (Not exactly spoilers, but Chen Mou's take on the aftermath of the fall of Xiapi to Cao Cao's forces and Lu Bu's downfall; chapter 258 is Chen Gong's send-off and 259-260 are Zhang Liao's own response.)

Chortles fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 4, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Empires question: As a ruler, is there an easier way to equip my guys with weapons than starting an attack, placing that character in the 'Player Controlled' spot, and using square to reach their equip menu? Does it even matter, unless I want to play as them for a battle or two?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Stelas posted:

Does it even matter, unless I want to play as them for a battle or two?

Nope, the weapon they have on them is always the same and purely cosmetic, like how Sima Zhao always has the Cloudburst and Cao Cao has the Sword Of Heaven when they are NPCs.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Policenaut posted:

If they go the Other M route, Zhao Yun can be revealed to be a woman when his armor breaks off, and every faction's story line will involve him getting distraught about Adou as a baby.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

5er posted:

If they go the Other M route, Zhao Yun can be revealed to be a woman when his armor breaks off, and every faction's story line will involve him getting distraught about Adou as a baby.

Hey, considering Liu Shan's later life, I see no reason this wouldn't be an improvement.

Also, I don't think it's been mentioned in the thread, so on the topic of the free fantasy scenario pack for Empires on PSN: it appears to be exactly the same as the $3.99 version. "Buying" it even pulls up a "select your version" menu, with one free, one not. I downloaded the "free" version, and there appears to be no difference whatsoever. I don't know if it's an error, if the pay version was an error, or if they're doing some weird poo poo where they're basically scamming you by making you pay for early DLC access to a scenario pack, but yeah. There's also the new scenario pack that's $3.99, so I guess if this happens again, we have some sort of answer.

If you already paid $3.99 for the pack originally, uh... poo poo?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

5er posted:

Other M was Yoshio Sakamoto's fault, not Team Ninja. Here's the LP where this is confirmed

:goonsay:

EDIT: In terms of where to go next, I'd be interested to see the next game go the prequel route and focus on the Warring States period (Confucius, Sun Tzu, etc)

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 5, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Isn't the point/worst part that Sakamoto (like I suppose George Lucas with the Star Wars prequels and Gene Roddenberry with Star Trek: The Next Generation) revealed that this newer, crappier installment was basically closer to what he wanted originally and that we only got the famous classics because of other people's editing?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Another question on Empires - I'm starting up as an officer within a kingdom on the 'completely random stuff' map. What's the best way to get a hold of new recruits? I don't have access to the invite command but the AI keeps pushing for invasions, and every other kingdom seems to fill up with recruits really drat quickly.

e: While I'm at it, any custom team I'm not directly part of just get wiped out immediately because they're all lovely level 1s compared to the rest of the map ganging up on them. Is this just a thing where I'm expected to carry levels over or something?

Stelas fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 6, 2013

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010

Chortles posted:

Isn't the point/worst part that Sakamoto (like I suppose George Lucas with the Star Wars prequels and Gene Roddenberry with Star Trek: The Next Generation) revealed that this newer, crappier installment was basically closer to what he wanted originally and that we only got the famous classics because of other people's editing?

Yeah basically, from what I understand, he wanted to put a bunch of dumb bullshit in Super Metroid, but the limitations of the hardware made it so that he couldn't do all the "brilliant" cutscenes he wanted to do. You can see how it all turned out pretty clearly with the whole scene vs. mother brain with the baby metroid. In Super Metroid, it's a great bit of storytelling because it has absolutely no text but is still a powerful moment. In Other M, the same moment looks pretty, but it has Samus droning on, explaining everything in a monotone and using the word "baby" over and over again, completely ruining everything.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I started the what if scenario for Jin in DW8 finally, but I just don't know what to expect. The other three what if scenarios were that kingdom winning all the battles they lost irl, steamrolling their enemies and taking over China. But uh...that's what Jin did in real life.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Finally got Warriors Orochi 3 and I've been left with 2 impressions. 1)Jesus there are a lot of things to plat. That's not a complaint, I loving love going through stages as a greek warrior wielding a bat, a girl who summons thunder and Ling Tong/Guan Suo. 2) I think having the japanese voices and the english subs is kind of a best of both worlds thing, I think the japanese VA's put more "acting" on some characters (and I found myself liking some characters more because of this) while the english subtitles, besides letting me know just what the hell is going on, also seem to put more flare into the conversations.

I have just one thing I'd like to see in 8 tho. Cao Ren's old weapon from DW5. C'mon Omega Force, I want to play as ancient chinese megaman again. The flail is cool and all, but it's no mega-buster bladed shield.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Good news, I guess. He has a spiked/bladed shield from 7:Empires onward.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So after finishing (most of) DW7, I grabbed Samurai Warriors 2: Empires. So far I'm really liking the additional strategic elements, and ordering other officers / capturing bases / choosing formations & tactics makes me feel like I'm actually contributing to the battle, instead of just murdering my way straight to my objectives.

One question: who's the Lu Bu of the Sengoku period? I'm guessing Tadakatsu Honda.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh god the alternate Jin ending in DW8 was so awful and dumb.

Jiang Wei: You haven't won yet! I'll fight you forever!!
all three Sima boys: YOU FOOL!
Wei: !!
Sima Yi: Tell me again, what are you fighting for?
Wei: To realize my master's dream of a world of benevolence and peace!
Yi: Have you considered that maybe drawing this war out actually hurts people?
Wei: Gasp! I had never considered that! I surrender.
~The End~

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 10, 2013

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Ghost of Starman posted:

One question: who's the Lu Bu of the Sengoku period? I'm guessing Tadakatsu Honda.

In the sense of 'most powerful warrior' then yeah. But he's never an independent warlord, he's a loyal soldier. He has all of Lu Bu's strength but lacks most of his weaknesses. I find him far less interesting honestly - he's so fun to play in WO3 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Honorable mention goes to Keiji Maeda, who was the Samurai Warriors equivalent of Lu Bu (if slightly less of an rear end in a top hat) before XL came out and brought in Tadakatsu. He's not quite as obscenely broken as either of his counterparts, but he's pretty good. Losing Steve Blum as his voice actor was a shame, though.