Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

bpc908 posted:

I still can't believe Ulala from Space Channel 5 is in that game

Ulala is probably the most recognisable Sega character in the game. Seriously, the Sega portion of the roster is really weird and I think most people are gonna struggle to even place most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Ulala is probably the most recognisable Sega character in the game. Seriously, the Sega portion of the roster is really weird and I think most people are gonna struggle to even place most of them.
I will happily pretend its a Resonance of Fate SRPG if I have to.

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.

The Gunslinger posted:

Ah poo poo. I'm up in Canada anyway so we probably would have been shafted. Oh well, I'll keep waiting. $199 is just a bit too much for a handheld, $150-160 is my desired price point.
Superstore has the 3ds xl on for $150 right now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

I will happily pretend its a Resonance of Fate SRPG if I have to.

Speaking of which, wasn't a sequel to that announced or mentioned a couple years back? What happened to that?

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Speaking of Rhythm Games. I've had Theatrhythm on back order from Amazon for like half a month with no idea when/if they're ever actually going to restock it. Of course there's a demo up on the eShop but no full version to download. Why do you taunt me Squeenix?

I do wish they'd put it up. It's the only game I can think of in my existing collection that I would rebuy as a digital release now that I can transfer my save from the cart. It was my 3DS GOTY for 2012 and I've love to have access to it without having to remember to bring the cart with me when I travel.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Picked up an XL last week and I'm already in love with it. Does anyone have a case they'd recommend?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

FE is by far the fastest SPRG in terms of combat time per turn.

More or less every NIS SRPG is faster than FE. Unless you meant "on the 3DS".

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah but that's only because the battles in Disgaea are just obstacles to be overcome so you can get back to ogling your spreadsheets.

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of which, wasn't a sequel to that announced or mentioned a couple years back? What happened to that?
God I wish, but I don't remember hearing anything like that. I dunno what tri-Ace is into these days, I think they're doing contract work on Danball Senki games now or something.

edit: Apparently they did some kind of 3DS dungeon crawler last year, too.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 2, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

A lot of the dumb geopuzzle maps in disgaea go super super slowly because you have to set up intricate throwing chains three turns in a row before you can even damage the enemies.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

A lot of the dumb geopuzzle maps in disgaea go super super slowly because you have to set up intricate throwing chains three turns in a row before you can even damage the enemies.

They cooled off on that stuff a bit, but yes that's fair.

Even still, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, Soul Nomad, etc are all much faster than FE. That game that Prier was in isn't though. The name escapes me.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

kirbysuperstar posted:

They cooled off on that stuff a bit, but yes that's fair.

Even still, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, Soul Nomad, etc are all much faster than FE. That game that Prier was in isn't though. The name escapes me.

La Pucelle?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Binton posted:

Superstore has the 3ds xl on for $150 right now.

My store still says $199.99 :(

Thanks for the heads up though, I guess maybe on the weekend I'll drive around a bit and check out some local retailers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Caitlin posted:

La Pucelle?

That was it. Man that game kinda blew except for the priest with a shotgun or whatever he was.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

kirbysuperstar posted:

What I meant by faster is that FE's combat revolves around doing as much damage in the enemy phase. If there's a map full of enemies, FE does it the fastest by just getting in range and leaving it alone during the enemy phase. Last time I played Disgaea, countering attacks still relied on how many actions you didn't use up or something.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

kirbysuperstar posted:

That was it. Man that game kinda blew except for the priest with a shotgun or whatever he was.

The game was fine, it was just way too slow because there was no way to turn off or speed up the animations, so everything took forever. Did the Japan-only PSP remake fix that, by the way?

And Disgaea is really about "how to I OHKO the enemy" instead of positioning and killing on the counter, like FE. If you just rely on countering in Disgaea you'll die quickly.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can do the whole FE counterholic thing in Disgaea if you want, its just that characters in Disgaea have a stat that limits how many times a turn they can counterattack. Pump up the counter stat and you can go crazy all you want or better yet get into amazing counter-counter-counter-* chains with bosses.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tae posted:

What I meant by faster is that FE's combat revolves around doing as much damage in the enemy phase. If there's a map full of enemies, FE does it the fastest by just getting in range and leaving it alone during the enemy phase. Last time I played Disgaea, countering attacks still relied on how many actions you didn't use up or something.

I don't think countering has ever worked that way in Disgaea. It's based off your Counter stat (and dice rolls) and the Counter-Counters keep flowing until one of the parties doesn't roll it or passes their counter limit.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The game was fine, it was just way too slow because there was no way to turn off or speed up the animations, so everything took forever. Did the Japan-only PSP remake fix that, by the way?

And Disgaea is really about "how to I OHKO the enemy" instead of positioning and killing on the counter, like FE. If you just rely on countering in Disgaea you'll die quickly.

I assume it did, seeing as they added that stuff for Afternoon of Darkness and all the games after that had it built in. But yeah if you rely on countering in Disgaea you're either using the monster class that could counter specials (Nekomata? Though everyone can do it in Disgaea D2) or you were still in the story missions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is monster hunter worth getting at all if I am never going to find a friend that would want to play it with/have no interest in meeting up with people to play. It's always been a game that I wanted to get into, but the lack of online co-op makes me wonder if it's worth getting.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

loudog999 posted:

I just orderedt a ccp xl for Monster Hunter and have a question. Is it going to be possible to play games that do not support the ccp but use the R button without taking it off? I guess I am asking, how hard is it to reach the R button on the xl with the ccp attached.

They shifted it so you can still reach it

Clevermuldoon posted:

Picked up an XL last week and I'm already in love with it. Does anyone have a case they'd recommend?

I have the officially licensed Hori one and it's perfectly good. It's hard on the outside, has the official 3DS XL logo on it, and has space for an extra stylus, AR cards and 3 games.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 3, 2013

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you're interested in protecting your 3DS I like those Nerf shells. They don't offer storage for game carts or styluses or whatever and they make the already-huge XL even bigger, but they do a really good job of protecting your system from bumps and jostles if you're actually carrying it in your pockets. I used one on my DS Lite for years and I was really glad to see they still made them for the 3DS.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Is monster hunter worth getting at all if I am never going to find a friend that would want to play it with/have no interest in meeting up with people to play. It's always been a game that I wanted to get into, but the lack of online co-op makes me wonder if it's worth getting.
Honestly you're probably better off playing MH3 on the Wii or one of the PSP games through Adhoc Party/Xlink. You could play Monster Hunter solo but you'd kind of be missing out on the best part imo.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Anyone else having an issue all of a sudden with Swapnote? It decided it didn't want to work for me anymore as of a few hours ago, and I'm getting Error Code: 004-6007 (can not connect to the internet). Everything else (eShop, Online Multiplayer, Friend's List) works fine.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

AngryCaterpillar posted:

They shifted it so you can still reach it

I have the officially licensed Hori one and it's perfectly good. It's hard on the outside, has the official 3DS XL logo on it, and has space for an extra stylus, AR cards and 3 games.

Thanks, super mad they don't come in red though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Canned Panda posted:

Anyone else having an issue all of a sudden with Swapnote? It decided it didn't want to work for me anymore as of a few hours ago, and I'm getting Error Code: 004-6007 (can not connect to the internet). Everything else (eShop, Online Multiplayer, Friend's List) works fine.

There's an update due soon, I guess they're preparing for that.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

It's "playable" in largely the same sense as MMORPGs are playable if you absolutely refuse to do any grouping: Physically doable, but you miss out on some of the best, most rewarding aspects of the genre.

VV Multiboxing counts as soloing for the purposes of my terribly strained analogy. :colbert:

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 3, 2013

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Eh, I disagree. Everything in Monster Hunter can be soloed, that's not the case with MMOS.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

NESguerilla posted:

I like the game but I couldn't honestly recommend it if you're never going to group. There's definitely fun to be had by yourself, but I dunno if it's worth paying full price for. If you happen to get a Wii U I'd get it though, since you can take it online that way. Of course at that point you're better off just getting the Wii U version.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I decided to grab Monster Hunter because I don't think I'll be getting a WiiU until summer at the earliest and at that point the WiiU version should be cheaper and I can take the game online on my 3DS or whatever.

So far it's fun by myself :3:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe I'll give Monster Hunter a little while. I think I am going to re buy a 3ds XL this week and I was hoping to find some new games to play that have come out since I sold my old 3DS a year ago.

Luigis Mansion looks loving amazing though and I can't wait to play it.

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.

The Gunslinger posted:

My store still says $199.99 :(

Thanks for the heads up though, I guess maybe on the weekend I'll drive around a bit and check out some local retailers.
I'm in Calgary if that helps, although when I went to buy one there today the guy said somebody had just came in and bought all 12 left in the store.. Bastard.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

This is a nerdy first-world problem, but does anyone know if it's possible to hack/modify the 3DS to display images captured from a Lytro camera in proper 3D?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

This is a nerdy first-world problem, but does anyone know if it's possible to hack/modify the 3DS to display images captured from a Lytro camera in proper 3D?

The 3DS will display any MPO format pictures, so if you can convert whatever you want to MPO, it will render them.

(There is no way to hack/modify the 3DS, aside from one savegame exploit, that was the cause for the last system update iirc)

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of any protective 3DS XL skins? I see a bunch for the regular one everywhere, including Hori, and I'm not a big fan of cases that add bulk.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tae posted:

FE is by far the fastest SPRG in terms of combat time per turn. It's not a very fast genre, but Project Zone takes it to another level. IIRC the previous title didn't even let you counter enemies.

The later Disgaea games have an amazing feature where if you hold down a button, it skips all animations and speeds up movement. Like, units teleport and damage numbers pop up. It's SUPER fast if you need it to be, but you can let go of the button if you want to and go back to normal battle scenes.

In FE you either need to turn off battle scenes completely (I like seeing them sometimes) or just see a unit attack you, fade to black, mash start.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Starship Damrey has been rated by the OFLC Level 5 America is the publisher, so I guess the US is probably getting it too. This is the one I wanted most out of Guild 02, so I'm chuffed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Starship Damrey has been rated by the OFLC Level 5 America is the publisher, so I guess the US is probably getting it too. This is the one I wanted most out of Guild 02, so I'm chuffed.

The same article says it was rated by the Australian classification board too :bubblewoop:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The same article says it was rated by the Australian classification board too :bubblewoop:

The OFCL is the Australian Classification Board.

In other news, Fantasy Life continues to show signs that it will head West soon, now with Level 5 filing up a trademark in the US of A.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The later Disgaea games have an amazing feature where if you hold down a button, it skips all animations and speeds up movement. Like, units teleport and damage numbers pop up. It's SUPER fast if you need it to be, but you can let go of the button if you want to and go back to normal battle scenes.

In FE you either need to turn off battle scenes completely (I like seeing them sometimes) or just see a unit attack you, fade to black, mash start.

You can also hold down L to disable battles on demand.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

lelandjs posted:

You can also hold down L to disable battles on demand.

gently caress me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How is the build quality for the hinges on the 3DS, in particularly the XL?

I've two DS lites and both of the right hand hinges have broken disastrously on those. I'm really tempted to pick up the Fire Emblem 3DS XL when it hits our shores in a fortnight approximately, but I'm hoping I won't have to deal with dodgy hinges again and may get get a 3DS regular if the XL has issues, or skip it entirely if both sizes do.

Thanks for any responses in advance, as well.

• Locked thread