Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?

Endorph posted:

You're mixing up two things. He did complete the translation, but it was never released. The PS1 translation is a new translation, not Woolsey's. We'll probably never see Woolsey's FFV translation.

Ah, my bad, my bad.

And more on recent-topic, I always find the most useful FF spells are the second-tier elementals, a la Fira and Thundara. They usually come around at a point in FF games where they are just super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

After thinking on it for a day, I agree with the poster that said it's best experienced in a Let's Play. The platforming that stops responding while the game loads a random battle is loving. infuriating.
It's been a while but I only remember one annoying platforming bit (Tower of Babel) which is nothing in a 50 hour game. And it wasn't even that bad anyway, the sewers were way worse as infuriating dungeons go.

Booky posted:

Oh, and to keep things on topic, what's everyone's favorite magic spells? I'm a big fan of Ultima. :)
Big fan of using Haste on a bunch of heavy hitters and letting them go nuts. gently caress offensive magic, I kill with WEAPONS

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 3, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paperhouse posted:

It's been a while but I only remember one annoying platforming bit (Tower of Babel) which is nothing in a 50 hour game. And it wasn't even that bad anyway, the sewers were way worse as infuriating dungeons go.
I don't seem to recall the sewers being that bad. Maybe an intimidating boss at the end of a boring dungeon, sure, but it's not like it was unfairly hard due to things beyond your control. Just, y'know, boring as poo poo, and that was made worse by having a painfully high encounter rate in a dungeon designed on confusing you into loops and and having the right camera angles to play their stupid exit pixel hunts.

Babel was my only roadblock in that entire game (well, that and getting the Trader Card from Hammer, but that's my own fault for trying) and only because the RNG ticks while you're jumping to prevent you from never getting random encounters by jumping all the time, and the only reason I cleared it in only half an hour is because I was playing it on an iMac that spun the disc up in that loud-rear end iMac drive whenever an encounter was loading so I knew when not to jump. I know the exact jump everyone's talking about, too, and I empathize even though I got through fairly unscathed thanks to my unfair advantage. That whole area's just a loving disaster in bad game design.

XG's encounter rate never did it any favors.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 3, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Booky posted:

Oh, and to keep things on topic, what's everyone's favorite magic spells? I'm a big fan of Ultima. :)

Paperhouse is right with spells like Haste and Berserk. What's better than spending a little MP for a massive gain?

Blue Magic counts? White Wind is ridiculous, and Big Guard is almost better. For all two of you that have played FF XI, nothing is more satisfying than your first time as a Black Mage getting a massive fuckoff Ancient Magic spell, holding your breath as the casting bar takes an hour to fill (probably less than 30 seconds, but it's tense) and then you just see the enemy's HP drop to nothing.

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

I have honestly never had trouble with the Tower of Babel platforming. By the time you get there, you're well used to the awful random-encounter-during-jump phenomenon, and if you're playing it on a ps1 the disc makes noises before every battle so that you can expect it. The sewer is worse to me as a dungeon because it is a boring dungeon that can really cause first-timers to get lost smack in the middle of the most long and boring segment of the entire game. The whole D-Block fiasco is something that I always dread (but has somehow become more bearable in recent playthroughs).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Level 5 Death, combined with other tools for manipulating enemy level, makes combat charmingly abstract.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Blue Magic counts?
My first proper exposure to Blue Magic was FF7 because I basically ignored that dumb old dude in FF6 (he's now my favorite character in that game because Strago's Theme is like Uematsu's first attempt at reggae and, much to my dismay, it always gets misinterpreted as just something generically jazzy or elevator music-ey).

I'm dumb about magic, I like anything that looks pretty. Grand Train, Meteo... oh, Aqualung and Magic Breath are also pretty great. And Virus, that one always sounded awesome and I like the color green. The Thunder family is always nice, too, and the pre-FF8 Ice family spells are also usually good stuff. No Ultima, incidentally, because that's a pretty plain and boring-looking spell. I'm not big on support magic on account of being a brute-forcing lazyass, so the fact that I'm ignoring usefulness really shouldn't come as a surprise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's hard to like a spell better than Haste.

Best spell, always. Even in the rare games where it sucks.

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

on account of being a brute-forcing lazyass

This is *so* me. Why bother going through menus and wasting MP when there's that big ol' FIGHT command staring you down? Got a mage character with no strength? Too bad, they're using FIGHT.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't like using any spells that aren't heals in any FF that isn't 13 because I might need all that mp later! FIGHT is good enough to win fights. That's what it's there for, after all. I play any game with mana like a total cheapskate.

The real answer is the spire Frog/Crono dual tech from Chrono Trigger. Not the best spell, but it was cool, and that's what matters. It also had a more unique animation instead of just two spells cast at once or rotating tetrahedrons.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 3, 2013

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Blind the Thief posted:

This is *so* me. Why bother going through menus and wasting MP when there's that big ol' FIGHT command staring you down? Got a mage character with no strength? Too bad, they're using FIGHT.

I'm kinda like that too. :shobon:

Even White Mages get to attack! It's like a big party!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Booky posted:

Even White Mages get to attack! It's like a big party!
The Whale Whisker is Garnet's best weapon, but gently caress if I'd ever use it in favor of a racket of any sort.

I'm still big on burning my MP. It's the one resource I never really cared about because when I was a kid, wizards were the best things ever and why would you waste that awesome role by not using magic at every single opportunity?

now sorcerers and sages are the best, gently caress those ivory tower assholes who say not to use magic to light blunts. they only say that because they have to give up a 0-level spell slot for spark anyway

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 3, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blind the Thief posted:

I have honestly never had trouble with the Tower of Babel platforming. By the time you get there, you're well used to the awful random-encounter-during-jump phenomenon, and if you're playing it on a ps1 the disc makes noises before every battle so that you can expect it. The sewer is worse to me as a dungeon because it is a boring dungeon that can really cause first-timers to get lost smack in the middle of the most long and boring segment of the entire game. The whole D-Block fiasco is something that I always dread (but has somehow become more bearable in recent playthroughs).

Tower of Babel is nothing but predetermined encounters from bottom to top because of all the platforming, they just made the mistake of triggering them too close to jumps and catching people off guard while they loaded. Nortune sewers get a lot more bearable once you learn how to read the map. It's actually a pretty good place to grind some levels and deathblows.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Magic Breath ... pretty great.

Somehow every time I used this spell, I ran into an enemy that absorbed one aspect of its damage and negated the whole thing. Found Beta, Trine, and Aqualung much more useful.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I usually just hit things, but when I've got a noodle-armed mage that's not good for anything else, I usually spam Bio- good damage, and nothing ever absorbs it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Booky posted:

I do enjoy Flare and Holy in IX and X, but aside from that, I'm usually fond of upper-tier Wind spells, like Aeroga and Tornado.

I also have a soft spot for Meltdown. The FFVIII incarnation was probably one of the most game-breaking spells in the franchise (along with Aura).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Somehow every time I used this spell, I ran into an enemy that absorbed one aspect of its damage and negated the whole thing. Found Beta, Trine, and Aqualung much more useful.

Well yeah, it's not really useful, but it is giant rainbow bubbles :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Proto Cloud posted:

Still no consensus on XIII-2? Eh, whatever. Even if I don't like the trilogy, I can laugh about it later.

Less linear, gameplay opens up much more quickly, but can end up being too easy, and the story is convoluted and nonsensical. That's 13-2 in a nutshell.

As for best spells,

ImpAtom posted:

It's hard to like a spell better than Haste.

Best spell, always. Even in the rare games where it sucks.

Slow on one monster is like Haste on everyone! And it works surprisingly often in the series (and outright breaks a couple games like FF4). Of course, Haste is even more awesome in the early games where it increases your number of hits (and thus boosts the hell out of your damage).

Also, Bahamut's always awesome.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

Also, Bahamut's always awesome.

Come on, citing summons is cheating. They're always awesome. Even *Chocob :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The White Dragon posted:

Come on, citing summons is cheating. They're always awesome. Even *Chocob :colbert:

Seeing the mythical Fat Chocobo fall from the sky for the first time when using Choco/Mog in Final Fantasy VII was really confusing but also pretty amazing.

I think I only ever saw the thing once, maybe twice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Goblin.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I figured someone would bring that one up, but even Goblin is awesome. Sure, it does 1 damage, but when you pair the whole "1/256 chance" thing with the "a monster that I once fought is now fighting at my side" part, that is badass as poo poo.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My Dimensions party is almost all Melee with a Seer (with Hastega) to round things out. Big spells are better in games that let you break damage limit but otherwise FIGHT is the way to go!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Levantine posted:

My Dimensions party is almost all Melee with a Seer (with Hastega) to round things out. Big spells are better in games that let you break damage limit but otherwise FIGHT is the way to go!

Especially when you can hit 12 times! And there are melee weapons that let you break the damage limit with them! :black101:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kyrosiris posted:

Especially when you can hit 12 times! And there are melee weapons that let you break the damage limit with them! :black101:

I do have a Valhalla but my Dark Warriors aren't quite strong enough to break 9999 per hit on Midareyuki or Phantom Rush. Overall they do tons of damage but each hit is still in the ~2000 range. Now Sol with Final Heaven and Aigis with Ivory Slash (or whatever, last paladin skill) cap out damage every time. Magic is very good in places but man, weapon damage is supreme!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Thanks to encouragement in this thread I picked up a PSP. I loaded up all of the FF games plus a few miscellaneous, and got started with BoF4 since it came reccomended and I had never played it. BoF4 is fun so far, but it's hard to tear myself away from the PSP FFT remake and its hilarious ye olde english dialog.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Boogalo posted:

Thanks to encouragement in this thread I picked up a PSP. I loaded up all of the FF games plus a few miscellaneous, and got started with BoF4 since it came reccomended and I had never played it. BoF4 is fun so far, but it's hard to tear myself away from the PSP FFT remake and its hilarious ye olde english dialog.

BoF IV, despite some flaws, is probably one of the darkest JRPGs around with some really despicable villains. The story pays off so it's worth sticking with it.

I hear War of the Lions is dragged down by slowdown and other such issues which is a bit of a shame.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kanfy posted:

BoF IV, despite some flaws, is probably one of the darkest JRPGs around with some really despicable villains. The story pays off so it's worth sticking with it.

I hear War of the Lions is dragged down by slowdown and other such issues which is a bit of a shame.

There are a few patches and psp plugins available that fix the slowdown. It runs very well now; but I tried it without the patch and it was pretty awful. I also went ahead and patched in a gameplay tweak that "fixes" a lot of things that were annoying and makes guest characters playable. I don't feel like it ruins anything since I played the original to death. The new cinemas are gorgeous :swoon:

Here's the link: http://devilsjockstrap.wikidot.com/wotltweak

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

While you're at that site (which is run by a friend of mine) it really is worth checking out that FF5 edit of his. Most "spoofs" tend to be incohesive, filled with juvenile humor, and boring, but that one is actually fairly well done and genuinely funny. Save it for the next FJF if you want, but it's worth a playthrough.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Yeah I was going to say that in Xenogears even a PS1 will whir a little bit when random encounters are about to happen.

We need a Tales thread :colbert: I wanna talk about Vesperia. So far I'm enjoying the quality of the visuals quite a bit, but that may just be from coming off of just finishing FF IX.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

pretend to care posted:

We need a Tales thread :colbert:

We've had one for almost 5 years.

...Maybe it's time someone made a new one, actually. Huh.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Thanks. :)

I couldn't find it in like the first 10 pages so I done gave up.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

pretend to care posted:

Thanks. :)

I couldn't find it in like the first 10 pages so I done gave up.

The Platinum search function is pretty handy for stuff like that, saves you a lot of trouble.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kanfy posted:

BoF4's darkness is really brutal at times.

Like when you get Kaiser. Some people deserve to die more than once. :cry:

FFT:WotL has some pretty bad slowdown on effects. As in, you case Protect on 5 characters and it's playing the 5th effect's sound while still on the 3rd effect's visual.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
And Cannoneer makes all four.

I'm not 100% sold on it, given its similarities to Necromancer's design, but it does what I set out to do - a more muted, utilitarian look compared to the vivid colors and extravagant tricornes (especially in Krile's case), and essentially a Job-thematic reimagining of his Amano artwork.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Goddamn, what a boss he is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shaezerus posted:

And Cannoneer makes all four.

I'm not 100% sold on it, given its similarities to Necromancer's design, but it does what I set out to do - a more muted, utilitarian look compared to the vivid colors and extravagant tricornes (especially in Krile's case), and essentially a Job-thematic reimagining of his Amano artwork.

That's a drat fine redesign.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
According to Siliconera, Bravely Default will be localized in the west.

Siliconera posted:

Square Enix still hasn’t announced Bravely Default: Flying Fairy for North America or Europe, but don’t worry—the nostalgic turn-based role-playing game will be released overseas.

During the Game Developers Conference, Siliconera was able to confirm with multiple trusted sources that Bravely Default: Flying Fairy will be localized for English-speaking audiences.

Look forward to playing Bravely Default…

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Trusted sources being guys who got the info from their uncles working at Nintendo of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Full set! :toot: