Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008
My iPod Touch 4G always crashes and has to be restored when I update the iOS version. This happens every time without fail. I've done this several times (every update for a while now). I'm running Windows 7x64. What could be the cause of this? I tried looking online and I can't seem to find other people that this consistently happens to, but I might not have looked hard enough. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but it is a pain to have to reload a little over 60GB of data every time I update the iOS version.

Edit: To give further info, the update crashes, and the iPod is no longer recognized by Windows until I force it into restore mode and plug it back in, at which time iTunes sees it and then restores it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

WoG posted:

Wait, why would standard 3.5mm jack devices like fm or cassette adapters not work? The shuffle doesn't use magic headphones...

Cowslips, I'm not sure what you're "feeling pretty drat stupid" about -- does your car have an ipod dock connector, and you just realized the shuffle doesn't have that? Or is it just the lack of aux-in altogether (in which case, why ask so specifically about the shuffle)? Either way, I'll bet you can find information about your car stereo online much faster than you can rip your dash apart to check (where an aux in might be hidden/unidentifiable in a proprietary accessory plug, anyway).

I feel stupid for listening to the Apple sales guy when he said 'no problem!' for using the shuffle in the car. Also, the stereo in my car isn't what came from the factory, and I can't find any paperwork about the system or even the drat thing's name.

I tried the fm adapter (I don't have a cassette deck) and the static is terrible; the few times I could get anything to play, the speakers had to be at the highest to get any sound period.

The only thing short of a new stereo (since my car is nearing 200,00 miles, might not be a good idea to pour more money into it) would possibly be portable speakers, but I can't see how that would be cheaper and still good quality compared to just getting a new stereo entirely.

I really wanted to downsize the CD collection in the car, hence buying the shuffle rather than the touch or nano (plus I didn't have a huge budget to work with if I had to buy a ton of music again).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

I feel stupid for listening to the Apple sales guy when he said 'no problem!' for using the shuffle in the car. Also, the stereo in my car isn't what came from the factory, and I can't find any paperwork about the system or even the drat thing's name.

I tried the fm adapter (I don't have a cassette deck) and the static is terrible; the few times I could get anything to play, the speakers had to be at the highest to get any sound period.
Well, at least the brand should be obvious, but if it doesn't have the model # in tiny print somewhere on the front, and it's aftermarket, yeah, you might have to pull it to ID the model.

Indeed, fm transmitters are compatible with the shuffle, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't suck (some distinctly moreso than others). If you're SOL on the aux in, there are hardwired fm transmitters that plug directly into the radio's antenna jack (with the antenna then plugging in through that), which are marginally better than the wireless ones, but some hassle to install. (And once you're considering buying new adapter hardware, and your radio's already aftermarket anyway, you might as well spend the little extra to get a headunit with aux.)

First priority has to be finding out if you have aux in, though. If it's the easy kind that only needs a dual-rca-to-3.5mm cable, you'd probably see an aux mode already on the radio, or the option somewhere in the settings to enable/disable aux mode.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
That's the weird thing, mode goes from radio to AUX to stereo, and on the faceplate there even is a sticker/stamp marked mp3 player. But I can't find a single drat aux hole anywhere. Will post pics of it later, see if that helps.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

That's the weird thing, mode goes from radio to AUX to [CD, let's presume]
Oh, well then mystery solved -- of course there's an aux in. (That rarely means an 1/8" jack on the faceplate, mind you.)
You'll have to get a look at the back, either by pulling the radio, or possibly peeking with a flashlight from the passenger footwell. If you're lucky, there will be red and white RCA jacks*, and you just need a $3 rca-to-1/8" adapter cable.

*make sure these are aux inputs, not pre-amp audio outputs, which would be those same plugs. If these exist, there'd be 2-3 pairs of them.

If you're unlucky, the back of the radio will be nothing but proprietary multi-pin connectors, and you'll need to find the right oem aux cable on ebay.

Given that it's an aftermarket unit, and--from the sounds of it--kind of a cheap one, the odds probably lean toward rca jacks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Crap, yes, it's CD, not stereo.

I tried pulling the stereo out, but I have no experience and no real tools to use, so other than finding some spare change and some new curse words, I don't think that's doable. I could take the car in somewhere, I'm sure, but by that point they'd charge me regardless. I didn't see anything from the passenger footwell.

Searching on Amazon shows a ton of aux cables...and a bunch of speakers. Getting a small set of those probably is the easiest and cheapest method to listen to my shuffle in the car at this point, right?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Sure. If we've exhausted the amount of effort you're willing to expend, hot-gluing some computer speakers to your dashboard is a way to go.

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.
I just bought a song off iTunes. It shows up in my library but is nowhere to be found on the list when I try to sync it to my iPod. I cannot find it by artist or album name. Any suggestions?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Superhaus posted:

I just bought a song off iTunes. It shows up in my library but is nowhere to be found on the list when I try to sync it to my iPod. I cannot find it by artist or album name. Any suggestions?

Is it 'checked' in your itunes library?

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.

WoG posted:

Is it 'checked' in your itunes library?

I right-clicked it and it looks like it still needed to be downloaded. Thanks for the help.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got a 7th gen nano and I simply can not figure out how to add songs from my pc on to the ipod through itunes. The only method I have found is incredibly slow, which is going through the "add files" option, and going to the exact location of the individual files (instead of simply adding entire folders full of music). Then once they're in the library, selecting them one by one while holding down ctrl, and then dragging them into the ipod. There's no loving way I'm using such a convoluted method just to listen to some loving music. I've owned multiple generations of nano's before and I remember adding music being much simpler. What the hell happened and how am I supposed to do it now?

e: Just tried out media monkey and it's working much better.

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 5, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I haven't been able to get drag and drop to work since iTunes 10, I think they took it out. Which is super annoying since the add files/folders to work on my iTunes.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Have you tried logging out of iTunes and then back in? I had the same problem and that fixed it for me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no luck either.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm thinking about picking up an ipod touch after realizing that I'll be out of the country for a couple weeks, and my shuffle will eventually drive me nuts. The only Apple product I've ever used is the shuffle though, so I have some (probably obvious) questions:

-Is the fifth gen worth the jump in price?

-Currently I use Foobar to manage my music. I figure it'll be easier to use itunes for the touch and just convert file formats as needed. Is that going to work, and are there any extra steps needed?

-Does the firmware need to be updated?

-Will I need a seperate charger for Europe?

I'm basically a complete moron when it comes to Apple products, so if there's anything else I should know, feel free. Thank you for helping.

Edit: replaced a question with something less dumb

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 13, 2013

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
The touch is like an iphone without the phone or a very small tablet, so if you're looking for something just for audio, you might think about picking up a nano. Especially if price is an important factor. I've been fond of the nano as an mp3 player. There are quite a few of the 8gb 6th gen nanos floating around, because folks were able to return 1st gen nanos under a recall, and that's what got sent back to them. So you could pick up a used 6th gen nano pretty cheaply.

If you're going to have access to free wifi, though, and want something that can browse the web, play some games, do streaming, the touch is pretty great. I use mine quite a bit. Also, the latest touch has a decent camera built in. I think it's worth the money if you're going into it thinking you've got a tiny, tiny tablet.

So for your questions:
- Yes, if you're going to use all its features, no if you just want an upgraded audio player.
- You should be fine, aside from incompatible file formats needing to be converted. Especially if you've already got things tagged and organized, unless your music is ALL WMV or something weird, it should be pretty painless.
- Well, the OS updates occasionally. I think there have been three updates pushed since I got mine in November. I've been holding off on the last one because I've been toying around with the idea of jailbreaking it. I think the only thing that postponing an OS update could interfere with would be compatibility with future app updates, as well as not gaining any of the benefits that an OS update fixed.
- Depends on how you'll be charging things? My touch only came with a USB->Lightning cable. So, if you're plugging the thing into a USB port in Europe, that won't be an issue. If you were planning on buying a proprietary Apple USB->Wall plugin thingie, then you'll need something to convert to the right wall jack for Europe. However, I have a cheapish surge protector with built in USB jacks that I use at home for charging, so you could probably pick up a similar product for use where you're going.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks that was really helpful. The mini-tablet aspect is appealing to me, especially since Canada's options for smart-phone contracts are beyond terrible (seriously, it's like the entire country has Stockholm syndrome or something). I'm ok with being dependent on wi-fi in those circumstances.

Quinctia posted:

However, I have a cheapish surge protector with built in USB jacks that I use at home for charging, so you could probably pick up a similar product for use where you're going.

This is genius.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Quinctia posted:

There are quite a few of the 8gb 6th gen nanos floating around, because folks were able to return 1st gen nanos under a recall, and that's what got sent back to them. So you could pick up a used 6th gen nano pretty cheaply....
loving hell, thank you so much for this. I've had a launch 1g nano gathering dust in my closet for years, and sure enough...

quote:

Thank you.

Your request has been submitted.

Apple will send you a box with shipping instructions to mail your iPod nano to us. Apple will then send you a replacement iPod.

I've actually been thinking about downgrading from my 4g touch* to a new nano, since it's essentially just a podcast player at this point, and the nano would be better for running.

(*pending whether a squaretrade claim for its cracked screen, flaky dock, and finicky home button netted a fixed ipod or a check)

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I think you'll be happy, then. I grabbed my cheap 6th gen just to listen to podcasts in bed, and its little clippy bit is great for not losing the drat thing.

Of course, the podcast app on my Touch has a sleep timer, so I'm not using the nano so often anymore.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thanks that was really helpful. The mini-tablet aspect is appealing to me, especially since Canada's options for smart-phone contracts are beyond terrible (seriously, it's like the entire country has Stockholm syndrome or something). I'm ok with being dependent on wi-fi in those circumstances.

That's how I use my iPod Touch in BC, it's essentially a wifi iPhone that you don't have to deal with Telus/Rogers to get.

I'd highly recommend spending the couple extra bucks to get the 32gb 5th gen and not the cheap $199 4th they're still selling. I believe the 4th gen has less RAM than the 4th gen iPhones had and it causes all sorts of crashing issues with games. The 5th gen iPod Touch got the screen size increase, processor bump and double the RAM.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

BGrifter posted:

I'd highly recommend spending the couple extra bucks to get the 32gb 5th gen and not the cheap $199 4th they're still selling. I believe the 4th gen has less RAM than the 4th gen iPhones had and it causes all sorts of crashing issues with games. The 5th gen iPod Touch got the screen size increase, processor bump and double the RAM.
I have a 3rd gen, and the lower memory just means you have to kill background tasks more often; it's hardly a dealbrealer.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mooktastical posted:

I have a 3rd gen, and the lower memory just means you have to kill background tasks more often; it's hardly a dealbrealer.

Even with all background tasks killed a number of titles have crashing issues on a 4th gen. Guardian Cross is probably the worst offender in recent memory, He-Man has issues, several other games too.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

If you can afford it, get the 5th gen iPod touch. It's worth it. I've owned various iPhones and iPod touches over the years and the 5th gen touch is the first model that doesn't feel like an utterly crippled iPhone alternative for kids.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
My 2nd gen (see no reason to upgrade since I just use it for music) iPod touch will randomly skip/not play songs that I have bought over iTunes. Not sure how or why this happens- usually its one or two songs per an album, and if I delete and reupload the album it might happen to different songs or not at all. My iPod is not jailbroken. Any ideas? Maybe its time to get a new one...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pretty happy with the (5th gen) touch so far, thanks thread :3:

Any recommendations for apps that can upload files that aren't photos and video from an iPod? Dropbox seems to only allow photos and video while Google Drive allows text as well but nothing else.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
I'm planning on an iPod, and I've narrowed it down to choices. Can anyone offer advice as to which one to get? My choices are:

A second hand 30gb iPod Classic for £40.00. Granted, the battery may hold less charge, but I can get a battery off ebay and replace it. But are ebay batteries as good as the original ones?

A new iPod Touch 16gb for £130. This has a longer battery life, but the battery won't be user replaceable in that it needs soldering. It does have a far longer battery life supposedly, though can anyone tell me what the actual likely battery life of this is going to be if I don't use wifi etc? Having the iTunes store functionality is cool, since I'd be able to play Ace Attorney HD when it comes out, though there's not many other games I really want.

I have less than 8gb of music.

EDIT: An iPod Touch 4th Gen, I should add.

Darth Ronson fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 21, 2013

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
IMO people make too much about non-swappable batteries. I think Apple makes devices with the best functional batteries on the market and never felt I needed to swap or replace my batteries due to degradation or low battery life.

I never owned an iPod Classic so I can't talk from that point of view.. but my iPod Touch 5th Gen already has a very long battery life and I keep my wifi ON even when walking around in the street.

To give you an idea.. when I brought it on vacation with me: I can go a full day (12 hours) with liberal music listening (5-6 hours) and the occasional sit down to play a video game during meal times and train rides (2-3 hours) along with the occasional referencing to saved photos, maps or other stuff to help me figure out where the gently caress I am.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Darth Ronson posted:

A second hand 30gb iPod Classic for £40.00. Granted, the battery may hold less charge, but I can get a battery off ebay and replace it. But are ebay batteries as good as the original ones?

I'm pretty happy with my iPod Touch (posting this from it right now) but if you're going to consider this route maybe you want to consider a cheap MP3 player like a Sansa Clip with a MicroSD slot. They're like $30 for a 16gb and adding a 16gb MicroSD card is pretty cheap. If I was looking for an inexpensive pure music player I'd go that route, if you want to play games/use the Awful app/etc look at an iPod Touch.

Of course rumours are floating around out there that the $199 4th gen will finally be replaced by a low end $199 5th gen soon. Might be worth waiting till Apple does their next batch of device releases to see if you could get that.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Seconding the Sansa Clip Zip recommendation. You can get a used 8GB from Amazon's "warehouse deals" for $25 (see this page.

I use a 4GB Sansa Clip Zip while I work out because the pants/shorts I wear while getting swole as gently caress have crappy pockets and I don't want my iPod touch falling out and getting all banged up. The Sansa Clip is much smaller/lighter and has a clip (duh) to keep it in place, so it's more convenient.

I got my Clip Zip and a 32GB micro SD card off eBay for $20 and $15, respectively.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

BGrifter posted:

Of course rumours are floating around out there that the $199 4th gen will finally be replaced by a low end $199 5th gen soon. Might be worth waiting till Apple does their next batch of device releases to see if you could get that.

Any idea how soon this is likely to be? I'm going to buy an ipod soon, $200 is my budget, and I'd really like to have a 5th gen rather than a 4th gen. Are the $250 refurbs going to be my best bet for a while?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

sdfvnre posted:

Any idea how soon this is likely to be? I'm going to buy an ipod soon, $200 is my budget, and I'd really like to have a 5th gen rather than a 4th gen. Are the $250 refurbs going to be my best bet for a while?

Nothing even remotely solid that I've seen, just a persistent rumor that makes sense. Could be whenever the next batch of Apple devices is released, could be Christmas, could be longer. My inclination would be to see what Apple announces for the summer and go from there.

If the refurb 32gb ones are only $250 I'd be awfully tempted to splurge on that though. Keep in mind the current 4th gen $199 models are a mere 8gb. For fifty bucks that's a pretty big bump in storage capacity.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What does it mean when my iPod shuffle (3rd gen I believe, it's whatever is sold direct on the Apple site) is plugged in to the computer to charge, and the light goes from green to flashing orange? I plug it in overnight and today it said Low Battery a few times. Does the drat thing not charge if the computer goes to sleep?

edit: The iTunes icon reads as charged. The iPod itself keeps flashing the orange light.

edit 2: Trying to back up the drat machine in case it's defective, and every time I try on iTunes, the Backup option is grayed out. Both my laptop and desktop are authorized with iTunes, so what is the deal?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 2, 2013

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Darth Ronson posted:

I'm planning on an iPod, and I've narrowed it down to choices. Can anyone offer advice as to which one to get? My choices are:

I wouldn't necessarily buy a iPod Classic if your goal is a swappable battery. I have an 80gb iPod Classic from (I think) that same generation, and it's extremely difficult to opening. I planned to swap out a hard drive for a flash drive, because my hard drive has been acting twitchy as of late, but pretty much gave up after breaking two sets of tools and putting a wicked bend in my casing.

Looking to buy a touch, but nervous to pull the trigger before any pending announcements (see above rumors). Would only use it for music (my library and, perhaps, Rdio), so I don't think I need anything incredible -- just would hate to buy and then have something better come out for the same price two weeks later.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
I have an old hard drive based iPod with a dead battery. What's the thing to do with it?

My sleep over friend has her touch set up so that new email shows on the screen even before it is unlocked. Mine cannot. Is there a particular version of the touch where this became possible? Or is this a iOS version thing?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

pupdive posted:

I have an old hard drive based iPod with a dead battery. What's the thing to do with it?

My sleep over friend has her touch set up so that new email shows on the screen even before it is unlocked. Mine cannot. Is there a particular version of the touch where this became possible? Or is this a iOS version thing?
Those alerts are part of the notification center, which came out in ios5. Settings -> Notifications, then under each applicable app, you can enable 'view in lock screen'.

For the dead battery, replace it? Even if it's not "user-replaceable", I'm sure you can find breakdown instructions online, buy a battery on ebay, and solder two wires. I did my nano 1g a few years ago, and it was fairly easy.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Wow. Out of nowhere Apple released a 16gb 5th Gen iPod Touch without the rear camera for $229. Pretty nice. Too bad they couldn't hit the 4th gen $199 price point though.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/30/apple-launches-new-16-gb-ipod-touch-with-no-rear-camera-for-229/

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BGrifter posted:

Wow. Out of nowhere Apple released a 16gb 5th Gen iPod Touch without the rear camera for $229. Pretty nice. Too bad they couldn't hit the 4th gen $199 price point though.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/30/apple-launches-new-16-gb-ipod-touch-with-no-rear-camera-for-229/
Ugh... That camera and the extra 16 gigs are really worth springing the extra 70 bucks. I'm glad they're finally getting rid of the laggy 4th gen model, but that camera is a big loss.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Ugh... That camera and the extra 16 gigs are really worth springing the extra 70 bucks. I'm glad they're finally getting rid of the laggy 4th gen model, but that camera is a big loss.

People who can afford a $230 MP3 player and don't have a camera in their phone is kind of a niche market.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Fruits of the sea posted:

People who can afford a $230 MP3 player and don't have a camera in their phone is kind of a niche market.
I dunno about you, but I don't really consider the iPod touch an MP3 player. A PDA maybe, or iPhone-minus-the-phone.

It'd be a big waste to use the device as a music player. Kinda like buying a state-of-the-art computer just to check email.
(full disclosure: I have a cheapo old android phone on a cheap monthly plan and I do most of my other stuff on my 5th gen iPod Touch)

vvvv Yeah, your flip-phone may have a camera, but it doesn't have a motion-stabilized 1080p video camera / 5mp photo camera with the same sensor as an iPhone 5.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That's fair, I definitely use mine for way more than music.

Still, we're getting to the point where all devices have basically the same feature set. Removing some of the less commonly used gadgets makes a lot of sense, especially since most tablets and phones have some sort of camera. Even my old $50 flip phone has a camera.

• Locked thread