Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The root of the problem is that a 3'10" puppet fighting an old man with a laser sword is inherently silly. I can't fault the films for it looking weird.

If they wanted to make Yoda into a formidable force of power, they should have everything around him work in his favour. Suddenly, Dooku's lightsaber doesn't work, doors are delayed or won't open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

Man, if only someone, somewhere, might have the sort of creativity to represent this in an interesting way. Nope, not possible, it's never going to happen.

I'm sure there's someone who could do it but historically it's been a pretty tough nut to crack. Peter Jackson took a whack at it with Gandalf/Saruman in the first LOTR movie and we ended up with two OAPs breakdancing. The mental fight scene in Hero (haven't seen the Sherlock Holmes 2 one) was done exactly like a real-life fight scene, just intercut with shots of Jet Li and Donnie Yen thinking really hard. The Scanners thing with bursting eyeballs and exploding heads could work but they're hardly likely to try it in a Star Wars movie. It's a toughie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I seem to remember an article that said someone (not Lucas) keeps asking for Yoda to be given abilities like flying or creating multiple copies of himself for that fight scene, but guy responsible for making it rejects those ideas because they're too much or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If we could make it one whole movie with no dark Jedi making an appearance, that would be pretty cool.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

General Dog posted:

If we could make it one whole movie with no dark Jedi making an appearance, that would be pretty cool.

This is why I enjoy the X-Wing novels. Sure they are campy as hell, but there are no Jedi.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Clipperton posted:

The problem with battles on separate planes of perception that is that cinematically it would basically look like two guys staring at each other and going "HNNNNNNGH" until one of them falls over.

DrNutt posted:

Man, if only someone, somewhere, might have the sort of creativity to represent this in an interesting way. Nope, not possible, it's never going to happen.

Clipperton posted:

I'm sure there's someone who could do it but historically it's been a pretty tough nut to crack. Peter Jackson took a whack at it with Gandalf/Saruman in the first LOTR movie and we ended up with two OAPs breakdancing. The mental fight scene in Hero (haven't seen the Sherlock Holmes 2 one) was done exactly like a real-life fight scene, just intercut with shots of Jet Li and Donnie Yen thinking really hard. The Scanners thing with bursting eyeballs and exploding heads could work but they're hardly likely to try it in a Star Wars movie. It's a toughie.

Some exec at Disney read this and just told his underlings, "We need to get Akira Toriyama on the phone."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh snap. Assuming that this isn't an April Fool's joke:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/31/dark-horse-to-adapt-george-lucas-original-concept-the-star-wars-into-comics-wondercon/

Dark Horse is adapting The Adventures of Luke Starkiller, As Taken From the Journal of the Whills, Saga 1: The Star Wars, or, according to Bleeding Cool, perhaps earlier concepts than that first script:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/31/the-unused-stories-and-characters-from-george-lucas-unproduced-the-star-wars-scripts/

Hell yes, I am into this. I wish they had the budget and vision to make all the art look like McQuarrie paintings.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 1, 2013

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Arschlochkind posted:

Some exec at Disney read this and just told his underlings, "We need to get Akira Toriyama on the phone."

Now I think about it, the mental-powers scenes in DREDD were done really well, but again it's not very Jedi-ish.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Facebook is lighting up with news that George Takei will have a part in the new Star Wars. April fools or what?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Turnquiet posted:

Facebook is lighting up with news that George Takei will have a part in the new Star Wars. April fools or what?

Absolutely April Fools

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Absolutely April Fools

That‘s so Takei!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

reagan posted:

This is why I enjoy the X-Wing novels. Sure they are campy as hell, but there are no Jedi.

One does get tired of everyone important being a secret jedi and the force handwaves.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yoda being all flippity-do in the prequels would have been easier to take if he wasn't still old as balls. Prequel Obi-Wan being spritely fits because a generation or two ago he was a much younger man whereas Yoda barely even registers fifty years going by.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, that's another issue. I don't mind Yoda getting a grand - visual - hubris change in Episode 2 as compared to 7 that would mirror Obi Wan in 3 as compared to 4.

The issue with that is that Yoda's visual change happens in a 1/18th of his life as compared to Obi Wans difference of almost half of his or whatever. There's a magnitude of established length of gained wisdom there.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Darko posted:

Yeah, that's another issue. I don't mind Yoda getting a grand - visual - hubris change in Episode 2 as compared to 7 that would mirror Obi Wan in 3 as compared to 4.

The issue with that is that Yoda's visual change happens in a 1/18th of his life as compared to Obi Wans difference of almost half of his or whatever. There's a magnitude of established length of gained wisdom there.

On the other hand the difference between him in the prequels and by ESB is he's seen all his friends killed, every political principle he fought for destroyed, got his rear end handed to him in a physical fight, and suddenly relocated to a swamp planet to live with no health care or even other people to talk to. Given how many old people I've seen shoot from healthy and active to obviously fading in a few years with far fewer reasons for being depressed and down, it's not THAT implausible for there to be a difference even over a relatively short time. Though honestly, while I didn't have many issues with Yoda lightsaber fighting per se, I do wish his fighting style had been less "ferret on crack bouncing around" and more serene. You don't have to do some sort of purely mental combat thing, just have him maneuver with maximum efficiency. He shouldn't have to swing like mad, he should seem to be almost effortlessly moving his blade at just the right time to block or attack. More ballet than breakdancing, basically. Considering how many martial arts films have an old master who can easily defeat a headstrong student while barely moving, it would have been a more "genre" choice too. Maybe have him having to be more active vs. the Emperor as a way of showing the greater challenge (and growing desperation on his part) would have worked as a contrast too if all his other fighting had been more relaxed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

trashcangammy posted:

The sublime magnificence of this trailer is almost persuading me to return to the game despite experiencing it's shitness first hand for several months.

Don't go back. Just watch this over, and over instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q99q5dV2ko

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think part of it is that the style wouldn't have really felt right for anyone actually. In a scene that tries to have some kind of tension or dramatic importance to it, is there any character who wouldn't have looked ridiculous doing that? Yes, all the jumping around feels strange and maybe even undignified for Yoda, like seeing an aging comic still doing pratfalls, but even picturing Obi Wan or Anakin doing those same moves is still pretty funny.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

well why not posted:

The root of the problem is that a 3'10" puppet fighting an old man with a laser sword is inherently silly. I can't fault the films for it looking weird.

Did people watch a different original trilogy to me? Large parts of those films were also incredibly silly.

The prequel movies really weren't silly enough, though this actually leads to the great punchline of universe's silliest character Jar Jar Binks speaking in the universe's driest, most serious place the Republic Senate and dooming the whole galaxy in Ep 3.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

teagone posted:

Don't go back. Just watch this over, and over instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q99q5dV2ko

Can we just get a Disney release saying that they're adopting this as an official trailer or something because holy mother of god drat

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Just what a Star Wars sequel needs, a million jedi with lightsabers

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just what a Star Wars sequel needs, a million jedi with lightsabers

It is likely Luke's Jedi academy wont feature in VII. Too many SW fans love Jedi too much for them not to feature in large numbers.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

feedmyleg posted:

Oh snap. Assuming that this isn't an April Fool's joke:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/31/dark-horse-to-adapt-george-lucas-original-concept-the-star-wars-into-comics-wondercon/

Dark Horse is adapting The Adventures of Luke Starkiller, As Taken From the Journal of the Whills, Saga 1: The Star Wars, or, according to Bleeding Cool, perhaps earlier concepts than that first script:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/31/the-unused-stories-and-characters-from-george-lucas-unproduced-the-star-wars-scripts/

Hell yes, I am into this. I wish they had the budget and vision to make all the art look like McQuarrie paintings.

This is interesting... Disney might not kill the contract with Dark Horse after all?

On a sidenote, Lucasarts is moving over strictly to licencing, meaning SW 1313 is gone. Licencing SW to other developers does seem like a better option though ... we've been past the golden years of Lucasarts for a while now.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Killing LucasArt is a pretty dumb move on Disney's part. I don't care about Star Wars games, but man, what a lot of talent that just got the axe.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Killing LucasArt is a pretty dumb move on Disney's part. I don't care about Star Wars games, but man, what a lot of talent that just got the axe.

The point being that there's no more talent left there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

LucasArts hasn't made a drat thing worthwhile in over a decade.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm sure someone at Disney asked for some demo stuff and LucasArts' incredible management accidentally sent them a blind LP of Force Commander instead of the 1313 preview stuff.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What about Tie Fighter? :ohdear:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

McDowell posted:

What about Tie Fighter? :ohdear:

20th anniversary of Tie Fighter is next year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tezzeract posted:

This is interesting... Disney might not kill the contract with Dark Horse after all?

When they last re-upped the contract it was for two years, they still have like 18 months on it.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
nevermind

Wubbles fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 4, 2013

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Wubbles posted:

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted: JJ Abrams is directing Star Wars.

I am pretty happy with that.

I will be more happy when/if/hopefully they announce that Jennifer Lawrence is playing Jaina Solo, because that would be pretty much perfect.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wubbles posted:

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted: JJ Abrams is directing Star Wars.

I'm certain this has been known for weeks.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
Whoa, according to the Star Wars twitter account, it's been known since January 25th. I don't where I got the impression it was announced a day or two ago.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Wubbles posted:

Whoa, according to the Star Wars twitter account, it's been known since January 25th. I don't where I got the impression it was announced a day or two ago.

It definitely wasn't from reading this thread.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The best possible outcome would be for Abrams to do the reboot thing again, or at the very least stick to the critical view of horrible fan universe stuff.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Danger posted:

The best possible outcome would be for Abrams to do the reboot thing again, or at the very least stick to the critical view of horrible fan universe stuff.
The best possible outcome would be if he bases the new movies on accepting *only* the original trilogy as canon, and nothing else, and going from there. But unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Well, reboot or sequel or whatever it's the idea of 'canon' itself that is the problem and antithetic to what made the original so resounding.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The best story imo is to do a basic adaptation of I, Jedi. Where its a new Jedi finding out he has powers, seeking out Luke's somewhat hidden (and still small,like a few others max) Jedi academy, then either he leaves early like Luke in ESB and complicates the story (maybe his family is loosely linked to some gang or the remnants of the Empire, and after carelessly showing off his new skills he attracts some mid-upper bad guy's attention), or he stays and.completes his training but is still careless due to inexperience. Then build from there into just the 1 movie standalone or to the new trilogy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOLqGxuvf08

From this scientific study, Jedi is the most interesting visually, Sith is a clown cartoon, Empire seems like a slow drama, Star Wars looks like an indie flick, and AOTC and TPM are so dull as to be ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PrBacterio posted:

The best possible outcome would be if he bases the new movies on accepting *only* the original trilogy as canon, and nothing else, and going from there. But unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

What do you see happening? Because I'll be shocked if they do anything beyond cherrypicking a few stray elements from the EU and ignoring the rest. The prequels will be chronologically distant enough as to not really matter.

Edit: Although we may still be stuck with some prequel concepts like the Jedi counsel and the "rule of two" that we'd probably be better off without.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 5, 2013

• Locked thread