Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I'm still thinking you should post a photo of what you wear. Blacken out the face if you're concerned about crazy goon stalkers.

Also please answer the interview questions PurePerfection posted. Maybe people can offer tips on how to interview better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Namarrgon posted:

So no jacket?
That jumped out at me, too. Get a jacket. Wear it. Even to jobs where you will never wear a jacket again, showing up in a jacket demonstrates respect.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

So no jacket?

This. For an office job or something nicer than retail/fast food, you should probably wear a jacket, even if the workplace dress code is business casual. Always better to err on the side of being too formal.

Edit:

Benny the Snake posted:

And because people are asking, I dress to the nines for an interview or a career fair. Since I used to go to church every week as a kid, I've learned to dress nice and how to iron my own clothes. My outfit is a long sleeve dress shirt, tie, slacks, and dress shoes. I always iron my clothes the day before and hang them up so that I'm ready for the next day. That's for a career position/fair. For a part-time job interview, I show up in either a polo shirt or a nice button-up short sleeve and I make sure to iron the shirt before showing up.

A couple of other points to think about ( most of which we could help with more easily if you posted a picture) -

Does everything match (shoes/belt, tie/shirt)?

What colors are you wearing? A shirt in a gaudy color/print or a tie with a tacky design might come off as unprofessional, same deal for slacks with bold, wide pinstripes.

Does the clothing fit you well? If you're wearing an older suit/slacks, they might be too short/snug if you've grown. Or they may be too long/baggy if you bought them off the rack. If this is the case, either replace them or take them to a tailor to have them adjusted.

Is the tie done in a professional-looking knot, and is it the right length?

Do you have any jewelry or accessories that might not be appropriate for the occasion? Like piercings, sports watches, rings/necklaces, etc.

What have you been doing with your hair? Are you keeping your fingernails clean/trimmed?

Are you wearing excessive cologne?

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 3, 2013

toby
Dec 4, 2002

If he is putting on a tie, he's already better dressed than most applicants. This is not the thing to focus on. I am still guessing demeanor etc. is an issue but there is no way for us to really know that. Also, I hate this thread.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
How have you not even got a job at a fast food place in two months if you've been applying everywhere and following up, these types of places would love to have someone who wants to reliably come to work and do their job.

Only thing I can think of after slightly paying attention to this thread is you're either really ugly or really awkward, otherwise I can't explain in my head how you wouldn't be able to just pick up a Mcjob somewhere.

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 3, 2013

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

trollby posted:

If he is putting on a tie, he's already better dressed than most applicants. This is not the thing to focus on. I am still guessing demeanor etc. is an issue but there is no way for us to really know that. Also, I hate this thread.

This is probably true for interviews, although I would still encourage him to work on it. It may be the case that as a college graduate, he's held to a higher standard than other applicants. It's probably a more important concern for things like career fairs, where you really want to stand out from the crowd.

Demeanor is a big concern, too, and probably something he should ask family/friends for feedback on. Things like poor posture, lack of eye contact, and shaky/sweaty hands get noticed.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Here's my answers to Pure Perfection's asnwers:

Tell me about yourself.

My name is Benny. I am a recent graduate from Cal Poly Pomona with a Bachelor's Degree in English Literature. I'm a certified typist through Agape Employment: 66 words per minute at a 98% accuracy rate. I also served in a fellowship with the Larry Walker for State Senate 2013 campaign. I am a skilled expository writer with a writing portfolio upon request.

Why do you want this job?

Because I am confident that my expository writing skills would be the right fit for the position, as well as giving me an opportunity to attain financial stability.

What are your strengths/weaknesses?

My biggest strength and weakness is that I am a perfectionist. I focus on the task at hand and make sure to complete it to the best of my abilities. Where it becomes a weakness is where I focus so much that I neglect to multitask. More often than not, however, I am able to multitask and channel my perfectionism on each individual task at the same time.

What makes you the best candidate for this job?

I am a very professional person. If I can't arrive on time, I arrive early. I'm also a very good natured person, as I'm able to get along with just about anybody. I realized a long time ago that my exceptional writing and communication skills mean nothing if I'm not polite and interpersonal. I make sure that my genial behavior complements my established skills in order to be the most qualified candidate available.

Where do you see yourself in 5/10/15 years?

I see myself promoted in five years, published in ten years, and financially successful in fifteen.

How do you explain the gap between jobs / lack of recent work experience?

I have been attending classes at Cal Poly up until my graduation in December of 2012. Since then, I've volunteered with the Larry Waller campaign from January to early March when Mr. Walker was voted out of the primaries. Since then, I've been focusing on finding immediate employment.

Tell me about a time that you [solved a problem, worked in a team, made a mistake, accomplished something that made you proud, failed at something, mediated a conflict between peers, disagreed with your boss...].

The day before the primary, I spent my volunteer time canvasing neighborhoods alone. I made sure that beyond leaving a pamphlet, I engaged each and every person in order to best represent my candidate. From that experience, I learned how to be interpersonal on the local level and I try to apply those lessons in every task I have.

What questions do you have about the position?

What is the code of conduct expected from me?

Oh and by the way, I don't have a suit jacket.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 3, 2013

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Benny the Snake posted:

I am a skilled expository writer

as well as giving me an opportunity to attain financial stability.

1. What the hell does "expository writer" mean?

2. Don't say this. Only mention money when you've actually been hired.

3. Get one.

Also, you talked a lot about your money situation. Yes, everyone works because people need money, but menitoning it so blantantly makes you look like that's all you're after. What does "financially successful mean" anyway?

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Benny the Snake posted:

What are your strengths/weaknesses?[/b]

My biggest strength and weakness is that I am a perfectionist.

I'm just quoting this, because it's hilarious.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

And because people are asking, I dress to the nines for an interview or a career fair. Since I used to go to church every week as a kid, I've learned to dress nice and how to iron my own clothes. My outfit is a long sleeve dress shirt, tie, slacks, and dress shoes. I always iron my clothes the day before and hang them up so that I'm ready for the next day. That's for a career position/fair. For a part-time job interview, I show up in either a polo shirt or a nice button-up short sleeve and I make sure to iron the shirt before showing up.

And yes, I've learned to tie a tie. Thank you, Youtube.

So you're the adult version of which one of these kids?

More to the point, how do your clothes fit and what is your body type? You can have nice clothes in theory (dress shirt, pants, dress shoes, etc.), but if they fit terribly, you will look like poo poo.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Just a little tip: "connecting" with the person doing the interview is a really good thing to do. You only get one chance at a first impression. If you can connect with the interviewer, you have a stronger chance of them remembering you. Be funny when the time calls for it. Be nice and polite, but don't be snobby and uptight. Also, you don't really need a jacket unless it's for a higher-up position that I doubt you'll be interviewing for anytime soon.

*edit* I was once asked during an interview what my weakness was. I answered with "kittens and puppies". I got the job. It's all about humor when the time calls for it.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 3, 2013

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

waste of internet posted:

I'm just quoting this, because it's hilarious.

Admittedly it's the interview question that everyone dreads, and a lot of people immediately goes for the 'iamaperfectionist!' line because it initially sounds the best. "I'm...too perfect!" is overly used, but if you haven't done many interviews it's an easy one to go for.

Honestly, I never know how to handle this question perfectly either. If I say one of my real weaknesses (frustration at lack of good data leads to lack of motivation to continue, or that sometimes I spend too much time on the internet instead of working), I sound like the last person on earth they'd want to hire. It's like the medical school interview question "Why do you want to be a doctor?" The cliche answers are too obvious ("I WANT TO HALP PEOPLE!"), and the (sometimes) real ones (money/status/parents pressure me/I honestly don't have grand philosophical reasons I just like science but I don't want to work in a lab and being a physician seems cool) are quick 'getthefuckout' ones.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 3, 2013

TrisIsPluto
Sep 19, 2004
"...and then he said, that's not a machine gun, that's my wife!"

Pfirti86 posted:

Admittedly it's the interview question that everyone dreads, and a lot of people immediately goes for the 'iamaperfectionist!' line because it initially sounds the best. "I'm...too perfect!" is overly used, but if you haven't done many interviews it's an easy one to go for.

Honestly, I never know how to handle this question perfectly either. If I say one of my real weaknesses (frustration at lack of good data leads to lack of motivation to continue, or that sometimes I spend too much time on the internet instead of working), I sound like the last person on earth they'd want to hire. It's like the medical school interview question "Why do you want to be a doctor?" The cliche answers are too obvious ("I WANT TO HALP PEOPLE!"), and the (sometimes) real ones (money/status/parents pressure me/I honestly don't have grand philosophical reasons I just like science but I don't want to work in a lab and being a physician seems cool) are quick 'getthefuckout' ones.

It's why you don't use those things and actually answer the question - but in a way that has nothing to do with your job. My go-to has always been "I tend to be bad with numbers when there's no calculator within reach - simple questions are fine, addition and things, but anything requiring a formula or complex equations aren't my strength." or stuff like that.

It's both being honest and answering in a way that has -absolutely nothing to do with the position you're interested in.-

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
"Getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom."

TrisIsPluto
Sep 19, 2004
"...and then he said, that's not a machine gun, that's my wife!"

"Getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom."

This is clearly the best answer.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

the runs formula posted:

So you're the adult version of which one of these kids?

More to the point, how do your clothes fit and what is your body type? You can have nice clothes in theory (dress shirt, pants, dress shoes, etc.), but if they fit terribly, you will look like poo poo.
Not like that. But yes, my formal dress habits have been developed if not informed thanks to growing up in the church. I'll look into getting a jacket. There's plenty of suit rental places around, so I'll pick one up there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Don't get too attached to a script when interviewing either. I don't necessarily think you are, but what I've found is it is best to try to take on the demeanor of the person interviewing. People like people who are like themselves, subconsciously or not.

When it's time to ask my own questions, I like asking the person about their own role at the company, give them a chance to talk about themselves. People like that.

I would reword your code of conduct answer so it sounds less like "What are you going to make me do?" and more like "Tell me about the high standards employees are held to".

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I bet that canvassing for a political campaign gives you some good skills in introducing yourself, speaking clearly and audibly, and maintaining (correct) eye contact. There is no way to judge your general demeanor on the internet (I guess) but I encourage you to keep on doing these things: stand up straight, speak clearly and directly, and pause if you don't know how to answer a question, rather than ramble or use filler words. Even say "Let me think about what kind of tree I would be."

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

And here is my feedback (see italics):

Tell me about yourself.

My name is Benny. I am a recent graduate from Cal Poly Pomona with a Bachelor's Degree in English Literature. I'm a certified typist through Agape Employment: 66 words per minute at a 98% accuracy rate. I also served in a fellowship with the Larry Walker for State Senate 2013 campaign. I am a skilled expository writer with a writing portfolio upon request.

I'd focus a little less on very specific skills like typing speed in response to this question, and add some color regarding personality and interests. You want to hook them and make yourself sound interesting and personable at the beginning of the interview. Mentioning your school/degree is fine. If you're going to bring up writing skills immediately, make sure it's actually germane to the job, or reframe it as a personal passion.

Why do you want this job?

Because I am confident that my expository writing skills would be the right fit for the position, as well as giving me an opportunity to attain financial stability.

Don't bring up your financial situation/goals in the interview. Make it about how you're going to contribute to the organization, what you hope to learn on the job, and your passion for the industry/work. Don't use the word "expository" so much unless you're interviewing to become a journalist or some kind of writer.

What are your strengths/weaknesses?

My biggest strength and weakness is that I am a perfectionist. I focus on the task at hand and make sure to complete it to the best of my abilities. Where it becomes a weakness is where I focus so much that I neglect to multitask. More often than not, however, I am able to multitask and channel my perfectionism on each individual task at the same time.

"I'm a perfectionist" is pretty much the most trite and overused answer to these questions. If you really believe this is the best strength/weakness to highlight, phrase it differently. As a strength, "I'm very focused and detail-oriented" and as a weakness "Sometimes I struggle with multitasking, but I am working to improve upon this by [come up with some explanation of how you're going to compensate for this shortcoming]."

What makes you the best candidate for this job?

I am a very professional person. If I can't arrive on time, I arrive early. I'm also a very good natured person, as I'm able to get along with just about anybody. I realized a long time ago that my exceptional writing and communication skills mean nothing if I'm not polite and interpersonal. I make sure that my genial behavior complements my established skills in order to be the most qualified candidate available.

In my mind, this response might serve better as your answer to the "strength" question. When you get asked why you're the best (as opposed to why you're qualified), you should try to come up with something unique about yourself that most other candidates aren't going to say.

Where do you see yourself in 5/10/15 years?

I see myself promoted in five years, published in ten years, and financially successful in fifteen.

Again, don't bring up your finances in the interview. The interviewer doesn't care, and it comes off as materialistic and self-centered. Promoted to what? Promoted within this organization or outside of it? Is publishing relevant to the job? If not, clarify that it's a personal aspiration and add an additional goal that's actually related to the position you're interviewing for. It's fine to discuss both personal and professional aspirations, but make sure you can tie them back to the employer. This question often gets asked when the interviewer wants to know whether you see yourself working for the company in the long-term future, and if so, whether you want to move up the ladder or progress in a certain way.

How do you explain the gap between jobs / lack of recent work experience?

I have been attending classes at Cal Poly up until my graduation in December of 2012. Since then, I've volunteered with the Larry Waller campaign from January to early March when Mr. Walker was voted out of the primaries. Since then, I've been focusing on finding immediate employment.

Don't just leave it at "immediate employment" here. If you're trying to address a gap in work history, you're better off explaining that you were contemplating what career path to take or considering your options. Unless it's a fast food/retail job, in which case just say something like "Until recently, I held a volunteer position, which was a great learning experience, and now that the campaign has ended, I'm looking for a new opportunity."

Tell me about a time that you [solved a problem, worked in a team, made a mistake, accomplished something that made you proud, failed at something, mediated a conflict between peers, disagreed with your boss...].

The day before the primary, I spent my volunteer time canvasing neighborhoods alone. I made sure that beyond leaving a pamphlet, I engaged each and every person in order to best represent my candidate. From that experience, I learned how to be interpersonal on the local level and I try to apply those lessons in every task I have.

I didn't expect you to answer all of these sub-questions here, but in a real interview, you'll probably be asked one or more of them specifically, so have lots of anecdotes prepared that can be spun as answers to this sort of question. You mostly have the response format correct - describe the scenario, include relevant details about what you did, reflect upon what you learned, and relate it back to the job you're applying for. What would really enhance your answer here is explaining how you'd apply the lesson to this particular job and providing more detail about your interactions with the electorate.

What questions do you have about the position?

What is the code of conduct expected from me?

This question is not for your benefit, and you'll learn the code of conduct from the employee handbook when they hire you. The interviewer is giving you an opportunity to impress him/her with insightful, intelligent questions and to further demonstrate your passion for the job. It's fine to ask a question or two about practical details, but don't stop there. Try to establish a rapport and wrap things up on a friendly note. Ask them what they like about working for the company. Ask them how they got started with the organization. Ask them their opinion about some current event that's relevant to the industry. Ask if they have any advice for someone in your position who's looking to enter the field. Be conversational, and try to turn this into a dialogue rather than a reverse-interview.

And if you must ask about the "code of conduct" - rephrase. Ask what their expectations and goals for you as an employee would be. Right now, it sounds like you're asking "So, exactly how strict are the rules around here?" even if that isn't the intention.

Then buy one.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 3, 2013

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
When I get asked if I have any questions about the position, I find it helps to reiterate the job description (to let them know you read the job description), but then ask what a regular day will really be like (to show you are engaged).

"I read the job description and it mentioned doing x, y, and z, but I didn't get a sense of how often these tasks would come up. What would an average day look like for me, task-wise?

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___
Don't ever say you're a perfectionist in an interview. It's a quick ticket to the 'no' pile.

If someone says to me in an interview that they are a perfectionist I think one of the following;
- the person is a liar
- the person is delusional / can't analyze themselves
- the person has OCD
- the person is terrible at time management and can't prioritize and is therefore unemployable

Also, judging from your posts, you are far from being a perfectionist.

Shark Attack! fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 3, 2013

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

A few other comments, beyond the direct feedback to your interview responses:

A good interview should feel more like a conversation than an interrogation. Generally speaking, if it feels like the interviewer spent most of the time chatting, laughing, and swapping anecdotes with you instead of working from scripted questions, that's a good thing. As the interviewee, you don't get to dictate that the interview moves in this direction, but if you see an opening for friendly banter or small talk, go for it! When you get asked one of those questions that require you to give an example about a past experience, come up with an interesting story to share. Perhaps this is just because you were forced to write them out, but your replies sound pretty stiff and rehearsed. Know which points you want to get across and which experiences you really want to highlight, but otherwise be loose and go with the flow. Every interview is going to be different, and even though the questions are often repetitive, there are no one size fits all answers.

Try to put yourself in the employer's shoes. What all of your interviews have in common is that they are for entry-level jobs. What does a business want from its most junior employees? What does a manager want from someone they'll have to train and then interact with daily? I'd want someone who's friendly, easy to get along with, a quick learner, committed to self-improvement, and a hard worker.

There may not be universal answers to interview questions, but there are definitely some universal traits that employers are seeking. Make a list of them, and think of ways in which you can 1) convince someone that you have these attributes by citing previous experiences and 2) relate these experiences to the specific job in question.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Perfectionist.

Shark Attack! posted:

- the person is delusional / can't analyze themselves

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm just hoping he goes out and rents a tux-jacket, to clash perfectly with the fedora.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

I'm just hoping he goes out and rents a tux-jacket, to clash perfectly with the fedora.

My money was on renting a sharp black blazer to complement his finest brown corduroy trousers, but this also works.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
OP, all jokes aside, do you have any facial hair? You don't have a pony tail or goony haircut, do you?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

You sound stiff and formal if those are your answers. Most of the time at least one of the people in the interview is going to have to be around you a lot. I got my current job not because I showed I could do the job (though I did that) but because the three people interviewing me got along well with me and we were laughing through most of the interview. They loved the office dynamic they had and did not want to lose it. Once I showed I could fit in I got the job.

Jobs are not all fun so you want happy and fun people to be around. Try to read the person you are interviewing and figure out what they want.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

OP, all jokes aside, do you have any facial hair? You don't have a pony tail or goony haircut, do you?
I'm clean shaven. I don't grow facial hair very well so I make sure to shave on a regular basis. Especially before an interview. As for my hair, I show up to my local barber and have him take a 3 guard with his clippers to my hair once a month. I keep it super-short because it's naturally coarse. I also keep my sideburns short. I've gotten some flack from my family that I look like a cholo. I just shrug it off.

Also I don't wear hats. I don't look good in hats.

Xenocides posted:

You sound stiff and formal if those are your answers. Most of the time at least one of the people in the interview is going to have to be around you a lot. I got my current job not because I showed I could do the job (though I did that) but because the three people interviewing me got along well with me and we were laughing through most of the interview. They loved the office dynamic they had and did not want to lose it. Once I showed I could fit in I got the job.

Jobs are not all fun so you want happy and fun people to be around. Try to read the person you are interviewing and figure out what they want.
I'm much more formal in my writing than I am in my speech. My answers to PurePerfection's question were done in my article-writing mindset. So it sounds stiff and structured by design. Oh and the "perfectionist" answer was a lie. I had to think of a good answer and perfectionist was what popped up. A lot better than saying "I get flustered". I'm going to say that my greatest flaw is a tendency to focus on an immediate task to the point where it impedes on my ability to multitask.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 3, 2013

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm going to say that my greatest flaw is a tendency to focus on an immediate task to the point where it impedes on my ability to multitask.

Strike two.

Edit: I feel like your issue might be an inability to understand how you are perceived by others, because you should immediately be able to see how that response is received along with everything negative you're unknowingly telling a potential employer by saying that. And you think it's a GOOD thing to say. To someone who you want to employ you. To someone who is trying to determine if you're competent.

CountingCrows fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 3, 2013

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
"Showing up on time" doesn't make you a professional.
The only thing I can discern from those question responses is that have no marketable skills to speak of.
I mean, try to put yourself in a potential employer's shoes and ask yourself, "Why would I hire this person?"

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

OP, when you made this thread we were both unemployed. Now I have a job, and in a brand new state I had just moved to no less! Maybe you're coming off as too stiff and uptight in interviews? Also it bears repeating, you can't just give a resume and wait till the next week to follow up, you need to call every day until they say yes or no. Yes, it's annoying as gently caress but sometimes it's the only way to convince an employer that you're serious about working.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Is "perfectionist" really that bad? I know it's the cliche answer. I always thought of it as the "we both know this is a bullshit question that everyone lies about, so let's just move on" response. It shows that you're savvy enough to lie about it but understand that you understand how to go with the flow and put up with workplace bullshit.

I don't think I'd ever hire someone dumb enough to give a straight answer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is "perfectionist" really that bad? I know it's the cliche answer. I always thought of it as the "we both know this is a bullshit question that everyone lies about, so let's just move on" response. It shows that you're savvy enough to lie about it but understand that you understand how to go with the flow and put up with workplace bullshit.

I don't think I'd ever hire someone dumb enough to give a straight answer.

There are better answers more tailored to the company/industry in question. You can emphasize that you have so much of <Trait A> that company really likes that it keeps you from doing <Thing B> sometimes.

I'm a programmer and I've said that I tend to get really focused on coding/fixing bugs that I don't always remember to stop and report what I'm doing to my boss. I can acknowledge it as the wrong thing to do while portraying my dedication to solving problems at the same time. It is also absolutely true and I don't feel like it has ever hurt me in an interview.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Sure there's better answers. I usually say I'm bad at remembering names since everyone does that and it's not really important for tons of jobs. I just mean that perfectionist is like the neutral answer. Correct, but no points for creativity. I've just always hated that question since I answered it brutally honestly the first time I heard it and didn't get a job I really wanted.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Sure there's better answers. I usually say I'm bad at remembering names since everyone does that and it's not really important for tons of jobs. I just mean that perfectionist is like the neutral answer. Correct, but no points for creativity. I've just always hated that question since I answered it brutally honestly the first time I heard it and didn't get a job I really wanted.

"Perfectionist" wouldn't be a terrible answer if it weren't overused by people who are not perfectionists by any possible stretch of the imagination.

However, it still wouldn't be a good answer. Even if I were hearing it from someone for the first time, especially in response to a question about weakness, I would think "Is this person so arrogant that they can't come up with an ACTUAL flaw?" It goes beyond creativity. The point of the question isn't to be creative; it's to evaluate your own positive and negative attributes. At best, "perfectionist" is a backdoor brag :smug: and at worst, it suggests an inability to perceive your actual shortcomings. I've seen some experienced interviewers nip this problem in the bud by asking "What are three strengths and three weaknesses of yours?" and I love that approach.

To be fair, brutal honesty is ALSO a terrible way to respond to this kind of question. Don't lie, but don't say something blunt and inexcusably negative like "I don't get along with coworkers" or "I always show up late." The key is to describe a genuine (but not deal-breaking) flaw and then explain how you're correcting it or what you do to prevent it from interfering with your work. If OP is really, truly a perfectionist (which I doubt), he could say "I tend to obsess over minor details, and if I'm not careful, it affects my productivity. However, I've learned to manage this by setting a deadline for myself when I start a task so that I don't get carried away." It's basically the same answer, but it sounds less obnoxious.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
OP, what's your social/dating life like? You come across as overly formal and literal in your responses here. Half of getting a job is in being personable- are you the kind of guy people like to get drinks with?

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh and the "perfectionist" answer was a lie. I had to think of a good answer and perfectionist was what popped up. A lot better than saying "I get flustered". I'm going to say that my greatest flaw is a tendency to focus on an immediate task to the point where it impedes on my ability to multitask.
You've already told us that you have nothing to gain by lying to us! Darn it, BtS!

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Benny, you sound really scattered in your approach. This may be impeding your progress- as soon as someone suggests something, you say "great idea, I always wanted to do that...".

You have to have a short term and a long term goal.

Let's focus on the short term. Your short term goal is to get a job, any job,and GTFO.

Your buddy says he has a room for $300 a month. Great. Ideally, you want rent to not be more than 1/3 of your net earnings. In your case, since it's quite necessary, let's let you use up to a half on rent. The rest is for food, transportation, phone, internet, clothing, savings, miscellaneous crap and so on. You can do that with even a part time, minimum wage job since rent is so low. Expand your radius. The bus is less lovely than your home situation.

When pounding the pavement for retail, check online first. Apply to any online postings, and print any application forms to bring in store. Fill them out, attach your resume, and then ask to speak to the manager. If they aren't there, ask the service desk person/crew lead when a good time would be. Give them a copy, and have another one ready to go for the manager. Don't wait for them to call you; CALL THEM. Don't worry about a suit, just look clean shaven and have fresh breath. A lot of the time with retail, being in the right place at the right time will get you hired, provided that you speak English and aren't a felon.

Then, you start thinking about the long game.

Develop your writing. Buy a suit- YLLS has the whole guide, but stick to the basics. Solid charcoal grey or navy blue, two buttons, one or two vents, notch lapels, no fancy linings, pockets or other fashiony embellishments. White shirt, conservative patterned tie, black belt and shoes (brown is more versatile, but start with black- more formal and you can'r screw up matching the shoes to the belt) See if you an take an interview workshop or something..

Get your licence, get a car if you really need it, otherwise the bus is an easier cost to manage.

Talk with Alumni Services, your aunt, whoever. You will get rejected. Job searching sucks, but you'll make it eventually because you're gonna have to.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

If you guys aren't going to let the suit thing drop: you are broke. Once you have escaped your immediate situation, if that ever happens, then you can do stuff like check your local thrift store now and then for a jacket that fits and isn't all hosed up and stupid looking. It might take a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
That's why I said get the suit AFTER he gets a job, in anticipation of getting a career job as opposed to a part time retail gig.

• Locked thread