Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

vodkat posted:

Banana's = Monkeys = Black People = Racism ??? I don't know Americans :negative:

Oh, true :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

vodkat posted:

Banana's = Monkeys = Black People = Racism ??? I don't know Americans :negative:

A quick google search reveals that this is not a solely American thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro2012/article-2151865/Mario-Balotelli-warns-racists-Throw-bananas-Ill-kill--EURO-2012.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rent-abuse.html

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's not even a new thing. I recall an incident where someone threw a banana at Paul Ince during a match. With great aplomb, he picked it up and ate it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Enjoy your easter eggs!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Martin Rowson on Iain Duncan Smith's welfare reforms.
The work and pensions secretary's shakeup of the benefits system is now to be piloted in one area instead of four.

Stephen Collins! :swoon:

Telegraph:

Indy:

Edit: Ahh had this post open too long!

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Shock horror I actually like the torygraph one.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The Indy guy's playing off Ford Maddox Brown's The Last of England, depicting a family emigrating to America

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Double wammy from the Indy today!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I know why they're doing this, but commenting on today's news stories through comparing it to the story of the crucifixion is weirding me out.
e: better than putting everybody in bunny suits I guess.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 30, 2013

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
NB The banana Miliband is holding in the Statue of Liberty sketch is to do with a famous photo of him holding a banana looking a little bit chimp-like:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

The government has brought in a sweeping range of changes, which will hit the poorest in society the hardest.

Telegraph:

Wait, is this ment to be an april fools of Adam being leftie or am I completely missing the point, I think I might be missing the point because of the "more bedrooms more tax", as I'm guessing its either a really bad try at making a leftie cartoon but being critcal of the left at the same time or its just saying thats what the protesters are saying. Muy brain hurts I'm sorry. :smith:

Indy:

Also If... cartoon isn't up yet, Not seen the Daily Mail post one for a week now. Just a reminder this isn't some blog for me to post cartoons and have comments, its for everyone, if you have any from The Times or any I missed out feel free to post them or if I've over slept, don't be afraid to 'beat me to it', its all cool. Seriously I mean it. :) I didn't even start these, it was back in 2007 when the first one because the main one was quite American centric (nothing against the other thread, just saying these tended to get ignored or swamped in the amount of posts) so these cartoons would never get replies to, it wasn't originally started by me but because over that year he had to work more I took up the keeping it alive but just think of it as our thread. :) [If it came in anyway negative I didn't mean it to, just I want it to feel like its a collective. :)]

Fluo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 1, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I appreciate you rounding these up Fluo. Actually I never really appreciated them before this thread, so thanks for that!

Also kinda can't wait to see how terrible the Express's April Fool's 'joke' will be. Probably something about how the weather's warm......... not!!!!!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Fluo posted:

Wait, is this ment to be an april fools of Adam being leftie or am I completely missing the point, I think I might be missing the point because of the "more bedrooms more tax", as I'm guessing its either a really bad try at making a leftie cartoon but being critcal of the left at the same time or its just saying thats what the protesters are saying. Muy brain hurts I'm sorry. :smith:

I think you're probably reading way too much into it - it's basically just mocking the unpopularity of government reforms by making IDS look totally amazingly popular, you guys! It seems an odd direction for a Torygraph cartoon (especially given the lovely editorial coverage of the cuts). Bits like 'Stuff the Poor' confuse the message but are just badly thought of rather than meant to complicate the picture, imo.

Also, thanks for taking the time and effort to collate these, especially so early in the day! It's nice to have an update to wake up to. :v:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

The bedroom tax only makes sense if you get a rebate for having more than one person staying in the same bedroom. If today's students can't work that into a sexy protest of some kind then I have lost all hope.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Seems no If... this week. :(
Guardian:

Ben Jennings on the government's public sector cuts.
Many of the cuts to welfare, justice, health and tax come into force from the beginning of April, affecting millions.

Telegraph:

Ladies and gentleman, cartoonist of the year. :suicide:

Indy:

Daily Mail:
Still no Daily Mail cartoon, MAC is the biggest slacker I ever seen. Which is quite ironic as he loves Iain Duncan Smith and what he is doing. :ironicat:

Express:

:fuckoff:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 2, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Fluo posted:

Express:

The second one is awful, yes, but he does use the term 'bedroom tax' in the first, which I believe means he must be radical lefty because it's clearly not a tax don'tcherknow.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

For those who are confused as they haven't read their Liverpool Echo in the last few days, this cartoon is referring to this. Which is an oddly obscure bit of local news to be making cartoons about, but whatever.

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Fluo posted:

Express:

Wheres the joke? You will get less money if you claim housing benefit and have more bedrooms than the state says you need. :geno:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That looks like a really big room for a dog, too.

edit - is she meant to be dressed as a "'ard workin' 'n' 'umble" dinner lady?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Clapham Omnibus posted:

Wheres the joke? You will get less money if you claim housing benefit and have more bedrooms than the state says you need. :geno:

She thought the dog was people!! Silly poors!!! Silly woman!!!!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Did Dave rescue a sheep or something?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Fluo posted:

Express:

"Dr. Weber"? drat Germans coming over here, stealing our jobs and unfairly denying honest Brits disability benefits, a UKIP cartoon.

Prenton posted:

For those who are confused as they haven't read their Liverpool Echo in the last few days, this cartoon is referring to this. Which is an oddly obscure bit of local news to be making cartoons about, but whatever.

Cheers; that was confusing the hell out of me. I was hoping the Telegraph were about to start laying into Cameron as a lame duck or something.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Did Dave rescue a sheep or something?

Yeah and the Telegraph tried to make it into some massive news thing about how kind and loving Call Me Dave is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9964348/David-Cameron-wades-into-swamp-to-rescue-sheep.html

quote:

David Cameron wades into swamp to rescue sheep
While lambs around the country are dying because of the unseasonably-cold spring weather, one sheep owes its life to David Cameron.

The prime minister became the hero of the hour when he plunged waist-deep into a swamp to save a ewe that got stuck in the mud.
Cameron was on his way home from visiting a neighbouring farmer near his house in Chipping Norton when he heard a sheep bleating at around 6pm.
He discovered the ewe immersed in the muddy swamp, after she had followed her two lambs in to save them, both of whom drowned.
After alerting the farmer, Cameron waded into the swamp, together with his two armed police guards, and proceeded to push the ewe out of the mud to safety.
“When I got there, David was in the swamp, waist-deep in mud, along with the two police, who had all gone in there to help drag this sheep out,” said farmer Julian Tustian.

“He was brilliant, pulling, pushing and shoving. He was covered in mud, he looked a mess.
“It’s nice to see, really - the police didn’t have to do that and neither did David Cameron.”
The ewe, which has since been nicknamed Swampy, has now fully recovered from her ordeal which happened on March 1.
“She’s very happy,” Mr Tustian said. “She’s got no kids now so she’s having a summer off.”
Mr Tustian, 43, said the prime minister often liked to visit his farm during lambing, having grown up with sheep himself.
"If I'm lambing, he will often pop in," he said, adding that it gave the prime minister a chance to get away from it all: "He likes to get away from the real world."
Cameron had spent 30 minutes in the lambing shed with the farmer and his partner Shen Paget before heading home for the evening. Mr Tustian then got a call from the prime minister alerting him to a sheep he had spotted in the swamp with two lambs.
“I got there and the three of them were pulling this ewe,” he said. “I thought they would be on the bank pointing at the sheep.
“He [Cameron] was concentrating on getting this sheep out. He was covered in mud.
“I was glad he was there doing it, not me. It was very wet weather and getting dark.”
Mr Tustian said the death of the two lambs had been “the start of a bad year, with the snow. It was a bad time”.
“We have had a bad time this winter with the snow and lost quite a few lambs.”
This isn’t the first time Cameron has given a sheep a helping hand, after he was drafted in by Mr Tustian to aid a ewe struggling to give birth to two lambs a few years ago.
Mr Cameron acted as the farmer’s assistant for 15 minutes until the lambs were born, even volunteering for the task of pulling out the lambs himself as he had smaller hands than the farmer.
Mr Tustian's pedigree Texel ewe Patsy was giving birth to twins, which then became breached.
Although one of the lambs later died, the survivor was named David after the man who helped save him.

And in the cartoon for the Telegraph one its saying he is trying to save the NHS etc, which he isn't. Also I lol'd at "After alerting the farmer, Cameron waded into the swamp, together with his two armed police guards, and proceeded to push the ewe out of the mud to safety."

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Fluo posted:

Yeah and the Telegraph tried to make it into some massive news thing about how kind and loving Call Me Dave is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9964348/David-Cameron-wades-into-swamp-to-rescue-sheep.html

And in the cartoon for the Telegraph one its saying he is trying to save the NHS etc, which he isn't. Also I lol'd at "After alerting the farmer, Cameron waded into the swamp, together with his two armed police guards, and proceeded to push the ewe out of the mud to safety."

Whereas the ideal cartoon would just have had a grainy photo of CallmeDave up to his ears in a pool of poo poo on a made-up newspaper front cover with the headline NATION DISAPPOINTED. CAMERON FAILS TO DROWN IN POOL OF poo poo.

I'd have laughed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

Whereas the ideal cartoon would just have had a grainy photo of CallmeDave up to his ears in a pool of poo poo on a made-up newspaper front cover with the headline NATION DISAPPOINTED. CAMERON FAILS TO DROWN IN POOL OF poo poo.

I'd have laughed.

Why are you slating him? This is literally the first useful or positive thing he's done during his tenure as PM.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jedit posted:

Why are you slating him? This is literally the first useful or positive thing he's done during his tenure as PM.

Because vulnerable people have suffered and died due to the policies he has enacted, and saving a lovely sweet little sheep is absolutely loving nothing in the face of that. It's worse than nothing, in fact, because it's the figleaf rags like the Telegraph will try to use to cover his revolting shame.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I bet those lambs were alive when he got there.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Yeah loving sheep I hope it dies.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Martin Rowson on George Osborne's welfare speech.
The chancellor embarked on a staunch defence of the coalition's welfare changes, criticising 'governments of all colours' that have 'parked' too many people on disability benefits.
:swoon:

Telegraph:

Two things in one, North Korea nukes etc. However also
a class test and survey. What class are you? The test is the second tab.

Also its a parody of this famous sketch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2k1iRD2f-c

My result for the test was.

quote:

Result: the class group you most closely match is:

Emergent service workers

This class group is financially insecure, scoring low for savings and house value, but high for social and cultural factors. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Are young
Enjoy a cultured social life
Rent their home - almost 90%

The 7 classes are now.

quote:

Elite - the most privileged group in the UK, distinct from the other six classes through its wealth. This group has the highest levels of all three capitals
Established middle class - the second wealthiest, scoring highly on all three capitals. The largest and most gregarious group, scoring second highest for cultural capital
Technical middle class - a small, distinctive new class group which is prosperous but scores low for social and cultural capital. Distinguished by its social isolation and cultural apathy
New affluent workers - a young class group which is socially and culturally active, with middling levels of economic capital
Traditional working class - scores low on all forms of capital, but is not completely deprived. Its members have reasonably high house values, explained by this group having the oldest average age at 66
Emergent service workers - a new, young, urban group which is relatively poor but has high social and cultural capital
Precariat, or precarious proletariat - the poorest, most deprived class, scoring low for social and cultural capital

Indy:

Express:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 3, 2013

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fluo posted:

Express:

"IDS takes living on benefits challenge."

Except, er, he hasn't. And won't.

Also, why is Dan Dare, Pilot Of The Future the Chancellor of the Exchequer?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Payndz posted:

For all we mock his bizarre interpretations of real people, his IDS is absolutely spot on.
The coalition's misuse of the word 'fairness' gets more horrific by the day.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Payndz posted:

For god's sake, I skimmed that as "IDS takes on living on benefits challenge" and let it slide, since he is arguing about it. That's flat out bullshit

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
FYI the bird is on the base of the right-hand candlestick.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Fluo posted:

However also a class test and survey. What class are you? The test is the second tab.

Auntie Beeb posted:

Result: the class group you most closely match is:
Precariat

This is the poorest and most deprived class group. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Tend to mix socially with people like themselves
Come from a working class background
Rent their home - over 80%

I know my place. :smith:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

I know my place. :smith:

:smith:

I've also been informed also on Newsnight some tories were crying because it has more working class tiers then middle class. :lol:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 3, 2013

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Indy:

I hope something bad hasn't happened to the growth sloth :ohdear:

The Indy one is a pastiche of Charles Gilbert's 'All is Vanity':

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Payndz posted:

Maybe it's a ruse to get Express readers to campaign for him to do it, or to realise just how bad "scroungers" have it. Later on they might find out he hasn't done it and think, "Wait, he hasn't done it? But he said he would! :byodood: "

Why is there a sign at the Tories' lunch anyway? The sign explaining the news story only works (barely) if there's a newspaper stand or something in the background. Are the other Tories pulling a "har har Duncan-Smith has free school meals" joke on him?

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Haha just kidding; wrong thread.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Martin Rowson on social class and media coverage of the Philpott verdict.

You can see the pure hate and bile Rowson has for that front page of the Daily Mail. :sun:

The front page by the way Rowson is parodying is this piece of Daily Heil poo poo;

Indy:

This and the Guardian one today touches on the whole class system is 7 tiers now that the Telegraph did yesterday and no Telegraph one today as it seems they're either late to upload or just wanna get some mileage out of that Class one.

Express:

It's the Express, it has to be about the loving queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Martin Rowson on social class and media coverage of the Philpott verdict.

You can see the pure hate and bile Rowson has for that front page of the Daily Mail. :sun:

The front page by the way Rowson is parodying is this piece of Daily Heil poo poo;

Martin Rowson for loving Prime Minister. :britain:

• Locked thread