Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Wario In Real Life posted:

You literally said it was a frustrating grind that focused on getting players to shell out IAP dollars to progress. Nice backpedal.
Did I? I said:

"It has a progression system to it, which is (of course) balanced to maximize frustration to that point where you're more likely to buy"

If there wasn't frustration, no one would buy IAP. If there were only a tiny bit, even then, no one would buy IAP. When you're balancing these games, you have to ask yourself "how much frustration with progression is ok?" rather than balancing to remove it entirely. Because this is not the happy huggy land of Apple, this is the land of "developers need to eat." EDIT: (You're aiming for this tipping point in player feedback, where players are enjoying themselves, but if you go any further, they would start actively complaining in droves.)

That "(of course)" wasn't flippant. Making an IAP-driven game with zero frustration from all players would be stupid. In terms of recent examples, Punch Quest's initial release would be an excellent example of why that's a bad idea. I think I probably did that even in Jones, even though I tried hard not to.

... but by all means, do go on :allears:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Person who wanted games for their mother: Sally's Salon, Spa, and Studio. Airport Mania 1 and 2. I can't recommend these games enough.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

You literally said it was a frustrating grind that focused on getting players to shell out IAP dollars to progress. Nice backpedal.

God who the gently caress cares, shut up already with your incessant white knighting of this drat game.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Shalinor posted:

Did I? I said:

"It has a progression system to it, which is (of course) balanced to maximize frustration to that point where you're more likely to buy"

If there wasn't frustration, no one would buy IAP. If there were only a tiny bit, even then, no one would buy IAP. When you're balancing these games, you have to ask yourself "how much frustration with progression is ok?" rather than balancing to remove it entirely. Because this is not the happy huggy land of Apple, this is the land of "developers need to eat."

That "(of course)" wasn't flippant. Making an IAP-driven game with zero frustration from all players would be a really bad move. In terms of recent examples, Punch Quest's initial release would be an excellent example of why that's a bad idea.

... but by all means, do go on :allears:

We actually go out of our way to try and balance our games to the point that any normal player with adequate free time who enjoys the game isn't "frustrated to that point where they're more likely to buy". I think a lot of people look at any progression in a game with IAP from the viewpoint of monetization, where-in progression in a game like Ridiculous Fishing is simply viewed as game balance since there is no IAP.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
NimbleQuest: Snake + RPG = hit. (Brilliant)

Puzzle & Dragons: Bejeweled + RPG = hit. (It's Japan)

Nice.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

VideoGameVet posted:

Nice.

You're the Word Carnivale guy, right? I played that. You don't have a whole lot of room to be throwing shade at other developers, mate.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

eeenmachine posted:

We actually go out of our way to try and balance our games to the point that any normal player with adequate free time who enjoys the game isn't "frustrated to that point where they're more likely to buy". I think a lot of people look at any progression in a game with IAP from the viewpoint of monetization, where-in progression in a game like Ridiculous Fishing is simply viewed as game balance since there is no IAP.
You're right. I was wondering about that even I was typing. Any design with progression has a grind. Hell, I'm playing Lost Planet 2 right now, and that absolutely has a grind, despite being a $60 game from years ago with no IAP or RPG mechanics of any real kind.

I'm probably being unfair in calling IAP games out for being a grind, given that. I couldn't accurately say whether I'd even notice the grind, if currency purchases weren't there to make me think about it. I apologize for saying that of yours.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Teddybear posted:

You're the Word Carnivale guy, right? I played that. You don't have a whole lot of room to be throwing shade at other developers, mate.
Do an app store search for BAILOUT BONANZA.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

VideoGameVet posted:

Nice.

Some of the greatest iOS games are RPG hybrids....puzzle quest, sword & poker, dungeon raid..

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Shalinor posted:

You're right. I was wondering about that even I was typing. Any design with progression has a grind. Hell, I'm playing Lost Planet 2 right now, and that absolutely has a grind, despite being a $60 game from years ago with no IAP or RPG mechanics of any real kind.

I'm probably being unfair in calling IAP games out for being a grind, given that. I couldn't accurately say whether I'd even notice the grind, if currency purchases weren't there to make me think about it. I apologize for saying that of yours.

All I know about LP2's system is that it metes out unlockables through a goddamned slot machine, which is about as grindy as you can get.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Ha, what, this is totally the wrong thread for that. :downs:

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

eeenmachine posted:

We actually go out of our way to try and balance our games to the point that any normal player with adequate free time who enjoys the game isn't "frustrated to that point where they're more likely to buy".

Is this really the case? I enjoyed, to some degree, Tiny Tower. For what other reason can the waiting mechanic possibly exist other than to frustrate me into buying bux? I'm open to having my mind changed but I just don't see it.

IAP costumes, skins, etc. are something else entirely...

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

VideoGameVet posted:

Nice.

When can we expect 3D Word Puzzle RPG Game Deluxe?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Everyone sure is mean to each other in this thread.

E. Regarding what I said earlier about Pixel People's surprises rising in price, it seems to rise with your land level, not the building level. :downs: In related news, I sure wish there was an option to choose what animals I use for the quest thingies so I can get rid of dupes instead of losing my rarer poo poo. Any Lambda devs ITT..?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 3, 2013

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Armed Neutrality posted:

Is this really the case? I enjoyed, to some degree, Tiny Tower. For what other reason can the waiting mechanic possibly exist other than to frustrate me into buying bux? I'm open to having my mind changed but I just don't see it.

IAP costumes, skins, etc. are something else entirely...

Why do buildings take time to build in Sim City when they could just instantly appear? Having to wait for something actually makes it more exciting for the player when it is ready.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Teddybear posted:

I freaking love Nimblequest. How in the heck did you not get that based on my prior messages?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Teddybear posted:

What's wrong with it? Seriously, do you really have an issue with Word Carnivale?

Word Carnivale is better than RUZZLE in every single way. Better looking, more polished, more dynamic (the game board changes, you can earn time) and you never have to wait for a game or spend $$$ to have more games happening at any time.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 3, 2013

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Armed Neutrality posted:

Some of the greatest iOS games are RPG hybrids....puzzle quest, sword & poker, dungeon raid..

Yep. And one of the people at our place reminded me that our Poker game has a good chunk of the pieces of this. Achievements, etc...

I'm not dissing it. I got to hear the designer of Puzzle and Dragons at GDC, one of the best talks (translated) at the event.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Corridor posted:

Everyone sure is mean to each other in this thread.
Where's the anti-bully IAP?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

jerkstore77 posted:

When can we expect 3D Word Puzzle RPG Game Deluxe?

Just as soon as I finish "Return to Dorks" ... an adventure game about a world of angry gamers who spend all their time dissing developers.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Do an app store search for BAILOUT BONANZA.

Google "Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2" while you're at it. Bailout isn't the first stinker I've worked on.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I have 2 complaints about Word Carnivale.

1. Facebook friends doesn't work, I can't challenge any of my friends to the game.

2. The timer mechanic and getting extra time for completing words makes playing 3-4 letter words very quickly a much more successful strategy than looking for longer words. I think it'd be a much better game if you got no points or time for 3 letter words, just the benefit of clearing letters off the board. Smaller rewards for 4-letter words would be nice too.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Can't you all see that NQ is tearing us apart!? Maybe we weren't ready for such a treasure...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

eeenmachine posted:

I personally think you do a pretty good job of it. I bought red gems almost entirely because I've enjoyed your previous games without ever feeling like I was actively up poo poo creek without buying extra stuff. I bought the work-time doubler in Pixel People but I still felt like the game actively hated me with such lovely small timers on the buildings with an upgrade cap in comparison with Tiny Tower which had a good range of timers and let me sink as many dollars as I wanted into making them fit with how often I 'checked in'.
(Although Pixel People has gotten a lot better with the recent updates and I don't regret that purchase quite as much anymore.)

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

VideoGameVet posted:

Google "Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2" while you're at it. Bailout isn't the first stinker I've worked on.

This is amazing.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

ZerodotJander posted:

I have 2 complaints about Word Carnivale.

1. Facebook friends doesn't work, I can't challenge any of my friends to the game.

2. The timer mechanic and getting extra time for completing words makes playing 3-4 letter words very quickly a much more successful strategy than looking for longer words. I think it'd be a much better game if you got no points or time for 3 letter words, just the benefit of clearing letters off the board. Smaller rewards for 4-letter words would be nice too.

Thank you for posting this.

I'm sorry to hear about the Facebook problems, I passed this onto the dev team. Of course it works fine for me. But if there's a problem, we need to fix this.

On the timer bonuses etc., that happens to be a setting that we can change on the server. Maybe we can test this when the next revision is released? I don't want piss off the current players, some of whom are in the game for 5 hours a day or more. But it's a setting that can be changed instantly.

---

Update. On the Facebook invite thing, this happens if you don't give up the permissions we asked for when you logged in.

Up to now, we've been asking for a bunch of Facebook permissions ... so you could do invites, brags etc... In the next revision we'll only ask for the initial "log in permissions" and then ask for the permissions as needed WHEN you do invites. This will prevent the "but you didn't give us permission" issue you saw with the invites.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 4, 2013

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

marshmonkey posted:

This is amazing.

Yes, but Return to Zork happened because of LGOP2. That is a story in itself.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

It's important to note that 3's perform worse than 2's despite having a faster CPU because of the retina.

Buy a mini, they're fantastic.

The 3 is no longer being sold (unless refurbished.) And the iPad 4 performs better than the mini, even in retina.

Basically, if you want eye-candy, get the large iPad. If you want something light/sleek, get the mini. If you aren't sure, go to the nearest store and check both of them out. I personally can no longer stand non-retina text.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Malalol posted:

Moms birthdays soon, toying withthe idea of buying a few paid app games for her. Any ideas? Not a good english speaker/reader so something easy to pick up without having to read tons of dialogue that tell you what to do. Or fancy action games.

Short puzzle games are a general hit, like bejeweled. Se managed to 3star like..everything in angry birds. Liked those bigfish?multi minigames ..something secret of atlantis. Item find games are too hard because its usually a list of english vocabulary and she doesnt understand the Click item and interact with scene deal. Not a fan of running games. Im trying to think of other fun puzzle / simple games but i cant think of names right now.

Edit
Trying to find someing different than whats available for free..cut the rope is too hard. Might get tetris.how is Swiped? Or bad piggies? She enjoyed world of goo on the wii and peggle as well. Another category is nostalgic arcade space shooters.. Like space invaders/galaga shmups?

My mom loves Candy Crash Saga and all the other mom's she plays with seem to as well. I think its free but you could probably get her that and then some IAP stuff to not have her have to wait for new puzzles.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Video Game Vet, I don't actively hate on you like some folks here. (I just don't care either way) but use your edit button, man. A triple post and TWO double posts within the span of a quarter page. You do that a lot.

Edit Button is your friend.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 3, 2013

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Feenix posted:

Video Game Vet, I don't actively hate on you like some folks here. (I just don't care either way) but use your edit button, man. A triple post and TWO double posts within the span of a quarter page. You do that a lot.

Edit Button is your friend.

When someone posts like that I read it like they're on a screed, even of that's not the case.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
I love all iOS games! Except EA's "Theme Park"; such a let down :( Here's hoping that Rollercoaster Tycoon is awesome.

Let's just all agree to put the blame on old school RTS designers for introducing timer mechanics in games. Not freemium devs who were smart enough to use them in a different, more rewarding way. :downswords:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

VideoGameVet posted:

Hahaha that's awesome, I had no idea. Were you working at Infocom when the original was published, too?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Well now. The Room kept surprising me with another box. And year walk was haunting, both the plots were a little hackneyed but maybe that's because I'm just straight up old to cutesy dark story dynamics. THIS SENTENCE PREVIOUSLY WAS A SPOILER. Well motherfucka, in butterfly effect he strangles himself in his womb with his umbilical cord

Now I've just picked up Unmechanical, Badland which just came out and Incoboto.

Also, like two years ago now I read The Magician King, some book, and it had like an eighty word paragraph on a horse the length of a school bus with thirty screaming kids that scares a lovely magician and when I saw that horse in Year Walk I instantly drew the comparison, over two years old, to that short bit in a long book. It was neat. Creepy loving horses.

Unmechanical also has a 25% off sale if anyone cares. I don't know if its good yet but it's got a nice intro. Also the controls feel real intuitive.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 4, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Spoilers, rear end in a top hat!

I think I liked Year Walk better because I didn't know there was a companion app and had no idea what the gently caress was going on, and it was really surreal and like playing as a hallucinating crazy person. Once I realised there was a plot it became less awesome and slightly more, "Oh, is that what he's going for, how boring." Like Donnie Darko. Still cool though. The atmosphere was the best part by a long way. I got the impression of carrying gross jittering babies at arm's length with my fingertips. Horse you are a creepy rear end in a top hat why would you even want this it is gross. And then I felt bad because aw. :(

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Helmacron posted:

Also, like two years ago now I read The Magician King, some book, and it had like an eighty word paragraph on a horse the length of a school bus with thirty screaming kids that scares a lovely magician and when I saw that horse in Year Walk I instantly drew the comparison, over two years old, to that short bit in a long book. It was neat. Creepy loving horses.

Umm the Cozy Horse was like a giant fluffy happy bus that brought you to a bunny rabbit tea party. You have a weird definition of creepy.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

the magician king posted:

“One morning Julia saw Failstaff at breakfast looking as grim as she’d ever seen him. Over espresso and muesli he swore to her that he’d seen a black horse with a back as long as a school bus, with thirty crying children mounted on it, match speeds with them last night as they drove home in the van. It paced them for two solid minutes, sometimes trotting on the ground, sometimes galloping along up on power lines or across the treetops. Then it leaped straight into a river, kids and all. They stopped and waited, but it never came back up. Real, or illusion? They searched the papers for stories about missing kids, but they never found anything.”

Excerpt From: Lev, Grossman. “The Magician King.”

I know creepy. I have a well honed sense of creepy. Sometimes I eat pieces of creep for breakfast.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGameVet posted:

I'm holding out for Gorillas + RPG to complete the QBASIC retro-revival.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Helmacron posted:

I know creepy. I have a well honed sense of creepy. Sometimes I eat pieces of creep for breakfast.

Oh, right, that one. That was the creepy, "real" version of the Cozy Horse, not the sunshine and lollipops Narnia/Fillory book version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
Haven't seen mention of this but there is a free version of Heroes & Castles out now if you've been on the fence about it. If your not aware of it, it is a 3rd person action/tower defense/RTS hybrid game where you play a hero defending the kings keep against and endless horde of undead, orcs, and goblins. To aid you, you can build walls, cannons, ballista, and more while summoning your own troops to fend off attacks.

No reason not to check it out now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heroes-and-castles-free/id618288607?mt=8

• Locked thread