Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nigga crab pollock posted:

Is there an e-reader app that isn't complete laggy garbage?

My mom found her ridiculous collection of ebooks and I've been downloading a bunch of readers and none of them perform well. It's honestly a blast from the past because I forgot what a full second of input lag was like, but waiting for pages to turn is ridiculous.

I've used all of them, but I've found Mantano Reader to be the best. No lag, online syncing, dictionary support, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Cerberus. Well worth the money.

Thanks for this. Trying the trial now.

Thing is, one of my devices is an Nexus 7, WiFi only. I saw a while ago (months) an app that had a large list of free hot spots... Can anyone remember the name?

The plan would be to set Tasker to enable wifi every few hours, then that app connects if nearby, then Cerberus might be an option. Far from flawless, but all I can think of.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:

kitten smoothie posted:

Whoah, Pandora finally has lock screen controls, only 16 months after lock screen controls became part of the API.

About drat time.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I can't believe this but Twitter for Android updated to version 4 and now it has a Holo look to it.

Check it:

For HTC One owners though, there's apparently a bug where the on-screen menu key still shows up even though it shouldn't.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 3, 2013

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Someone just pointed this app out to me: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.incorporateapps.walktext

I can't quite decide if this is a pointless gimmick or a stroke of genius...!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What's the best app for Android that can track a lost phone. I was recommended Cerberus but some people did not like that it pretty much permanently stays on your phone even if you flash the ROM / reformat. Is that true? Any recommendations?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Cerberus' permanence is totally optional.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Busy Bee posted:

What's the best app for Android that can track a lost phone. I was recommended Cerberus but some people did not like that it pretty much permanently stays on your phone even if you flash the ROM / reformat. Is that true? Any recommendations?
That is only if you install it to system, and is kind of the point of an anti-theft app. If you it is your phone you can always remove it.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Skeezy posted:

I can't believe this but Twitter for Android updated to version 4 and now it has a Holo look to it.

Check it:

For HTC One owners though, there's apparently a bug where the on-screen menu key still shows up even though it shouldn't.

The official twitter app is still laggy and choppy on my S3, am I the only one experiencing this? Also, why don't they offer a "dark" theme for the interface, or am I missing it in the well-hidden settings menu?

Back to carbon and/or falcon pro.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

The official twitter app is still laggy and choppy on my S3, am I the only one experiencing this? Also, why don't they offer a "dark" theme for the interface, or am I missing it in the well-hidden settings menu?

Back to carbon and/or falcon pro.

Smooth as silk on my razr m

Any recommendations on an app that'll sync my contacts with peoples Facebook pictures? The one I normally use called "Syncmypix" is currently broken.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Typing is still a little laggy for me but overall it runs perfectly. I doubt a dark theme will happen since they are trying to keep all the apps looking the same on the iOS/Android/Web for the most part. While it would be neat I just don't see it being a top priority thing. I hope Twitter keeps updating the app to work with Androids strengths and adds expanded notifications next though.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Smooth as silk on my razr m

Any recommendations on an app that'll sync my contacts with peoples Facebook pictures? The one I normally use called "Syncmypix" is currently broken.

HaxSync is what you're going to want to use. Works perfectly now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mots.haxsync&hl=en

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Skeezy posted:

Typing is still a little laggy for me but overall it runs perfectly. I doubt a dark theme will happen since they are trying to keep all the apps looking the same on the iOS/Android/Web for the most part. While it would be neat I just don't see it being a top priority thing. I hope Twitter keeps updating the app to work with Androids strengths and adds expanded notifications next though.

Agree on the notifications. It lags mostly when I am scrolling or swiping between tabs. Maybe I have too much going on with my phone in the background. I'm running rooted stock, FYI.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
The Twitter update looks good, but I can no longer easily read tweet text- there's just not enough contrast for me. Time to try a bunch of new Twitter apps!

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Google Now (Search) just updated. Not listed in the updates but interesting is there's an option to under Voice to listen through a bluetooth device. So hopefully it will work better in my car, will have to give it a try tomorrow.

Also something about 'realtime' tracking of parcels, didn't see anything different for my shipment from Amazon yet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Chrome also updated and now syncs passwords as well.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's synced passwords for a long time. It looks like the patch notes got reverted or something, as earlier today when I updated it was saying it let you play audio in the background and had a new audio permission. Don't remember what else it had changed besides stability/text improvements.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DemonMage posted:

It's synced passwords for a long time. It looks like the patch notes got reverted or something, as earlier today when I updated it was saying it let you play audio in the background and had a new audio permission. Don't remember what else it had changed besides stability/text improvements.

I've had that issue happen before, but I think the syncing of passwords is new because it's been mentioned in the official blog of Chrome for Android as new.

It's not new the Beta version though. It looks like the update fixed the vibration issues that the stable version had that carried from Beta but got fixed when Beta updated last month.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
That's so weird, I've had password/autofill syncing in for pretty much ever. I was able to sign in and access saved bookmarks and passwords for months now back in the Beta, and ever since they first merged beta into stable I switched back over to that and still had it.

There's the patch notes I have showing on my phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone else use PocketCasts on CM 10.1? The lockscreen controls don't seem very reliable to me; I tried pausing a podcast on the lockscreen earlier today and it didn't respond. I'm not sure if I've tried the forward/backward buttons, but I'm not hopeful about them, either.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DemonMage posted:

That's so weird, I've had password/autofill syncing in for pretty much ever. I was able to sign in and access saved bookmarks and passwords for months now back in the Beta, and ever since they first merged beta into stable I switched back over to that and still had it.

There's the patch notes I have showing on my phone.

That IS weird and that's the exact thing I've had with the Play Store for quite a few apps. It'll say there's an update, various sites will confirm it and will mention a new changelog, but I'll still see that. This usually happens frequently with me updating the same app multiple times in a week with the same changelog. Not sure how to fix it though.

I haven't had password or autofill work on Stable Chrome in a while except today, however Google did say they were pushing it out slowly just today for Stable. Maybe your access has carried over from that (and it is "access", apparently since not everyone has it when Chrome updated today).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Does anyone else use PocketCasts on CM 10.1? The lockscreen controls don't seem very reliable to me; I tried pausing a podcast on the lockscreen earlier today and it didn't respond. I'm not sure if I've tried the forward/backward buttons, but I'm not hopeful about them, either.
Enable headset controls in the settings for Pocket Casts.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Skeezy posted:

HaxSync is what you're going to want to use. Works perfectly now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mots.haxsync&hl=en

Does Haxsync keep the photos/info it imports when uninstalled?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
New Google Now has little dropdown buttons in the top right that are very cool and useful. Let's you set your preferences for particular cards without digging through the menus.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Skeezy posted:

UberSync is free and works pretty well.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I have an HP Touchpad running Cyanogen 9, its been working great for a long time, now all of the sudden superuser is denying everything, including Titanium Backup. I only have Apps from the Play store installed. Any reason it would lose root or start throwing these errors that I don't have root?

It is also not letting me pull stuff off my touchpad either when plugged into a computer, it used to go smooth, now it says can't communicate with device after about 5 minutes.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 4, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flaggy posted:

I have an HP Touchpad running Cyanogen 9, its been working great for a long time, now all of the sudden superuser is denying everything, including Titanium Backup. I only have Apps from the Play store installed. Any reason it would lose root or start throwing these errors that I don't have root?

It is also not letting me pull stuff off my touchpad either when plugged into a computer, it used to go smooth, now it says can't communicate with device after about 5 minutes.
What superuser app are you using? I'm not familiar with the Touchpad but restoring root should be as simple as booting to recovery and flashing a superuser zip of your choice. If I were you I'd pick a different one from the one you're currently using.

Although it occurs to me that before doing that you should attempt to update the binary in your current superuser app.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

What superuser app are you using? I'm not familiar with the Touchpad but restoring root should be as simple as booting to recovery and flashing a superuser zip of your choice. If I were you I'd pick a different one from the one you're currently using.

Although it occurs to me that before doing that you should attempt to update the binary in your current superuser app.

I am using superuser app. Any recommendations on a new one? Updated the binary we will see if that works.
Updating the binary did not work.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 4, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flaggy posted:

I am using superuser app.
Superuser or Superuser?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fixed the problem, wiped the partition, cleared personal, cleared dalvik, reinstalled everything. Working fine now, scorched earth policy but its only apps that back up anyways. Thanks for the help.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 4, 2013

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
oh loving hell the new twitter update looks hideous in gingerbread.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Resonance posted:

oh loving hell the new twitter update looks hideous in gingerbread.

I'd figure a lot of Holo-based apps look bad on GB. That makes me wonder, is Holo just ICS+ only or can some Holo apps run on GB?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Red Warrior posted:

Google Now (Search) just updated. Not listed in the updates but interesting is there's an option to under Voice to listen through a bluetooth device. So hopefully it will work better in my car, will have to give it a try tomorrow.

Finally. Hope it works well.

Crooz
Feb 22, 2011
So I just started a new job who runs their email through Exchange. The admin settings are forcing me to use a strong password on my lock screen because it's in finance. Is there anyway to only password protect the email (generic one that comes with a SGS3) app? I never had any lock because none of my personal stuff is a big deal so this is a huge pain.

If that isn't possible, is there a way to make the keyboard come up when I first hit the lock screen? Right now I have to touch in the password area and then begin typing. I don't have any widgets on there.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Crooz posted:

So I just started a new job who runs their email through Exchange. The admin settings are forcing me to use a strong password on my lock screen because it's in finance. Is there anyway to only password protect the email (generic one that comes with a SGS3) app? I never had any lock because none of my personal stuff is a big deal so this is a huge pain.

If that isn't possible, is there a way to make the keyboard come up when I first hit the lock screen? Right now I have to touch in the password area and then begin typing. I don't have any widgets on there.

I think the app Touchdown allows this, but be warned everyone here says it's ugly as gently caress and looks like it's out of the 1.6 days.

Crooz
Feb 22, 2011
Maybe this doesn't matter but I have an 'exchange active sync' thing in my accounts so will that be outside the scope of an app anyway?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Crooz posted:

Maybe this doesn't matter but I have an 'exchange active sync' thing in my accounts so will that be outside the scope of an app anyway?

Touchdown supports Active Sync. It's $20 but there's a 30day trial. Can't hurt to try :shrug:?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think the app Touchdown allows this, but be warned everyone here says it's ugly as gently caress and looks like it's out of the 1.6 days.

Not even that. It looks like a Windows Mobile 5 app. It just got a "holo" update, but all that really amounted to was some color and button changes. It's still pretty ugly. But functional.

crooz posted:

There's probably an Exchange capable email client built into your phone, but Touchdown is good because it keeps everything isolated. Meaning that if an administrator decides to send a remote wipe, it only wipes the app whereas it would otherwise wipe your entire device. This is what makes Touchdown worth $20 and putting up with the horrible interface.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Enable headset controls in the settings for Pocket Casts.

Well, that did work, but it takes about 5 seconds to respond. Weird, but not super problematic.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

brc64 posted:

Not even that. It looks like a Windows Mobile 5 app. It just got a "holo" update, but all that really amounted to was some color and button changes. It's still pretty ugly. But functional.

There's probably an Exchange capable email client built into your phone, but Touchdown is good because it keeps everything isolated. Meaning that if an administrator decides to send a remote wipe, it only wipes the app whereas it would otherwise wipe your entire device. This is what makes Touchdown worth $20 and putting up with the horrible interface.

God its soo ugly. It got that update just a bit ago to holo and I got all excited. Then bleh. I'm using a dark theme.. is there a 'better' one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Well, that did work, but it takes about 5 seconds to respond. Weird, but not super problematic.
It responds instantly on my Galaxy Nexus running CM10.1 nightlies. I don't know why it wouldn't for you. I use the notification controls more often though.

• Locked thread