Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Here's how the update looks on highest settings 1080p, if anyone was wondering. Film grain and all. They still didn't fix the dropship explosion. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsYUxjFhMhc

Yeah it's not even actually MST3K commentary, but it's stitched together from coop with everyone talking on mumble so...

Since they added dedicated server support there are dozens of servers and always a couple servers running Species Deathmatch with people on them at any given time. And while it is super unbalanced if there are more than a couple Preds it is always fun to jump on and yell at other marines over voice to stick together (which never lasts long) as you are inevitably killed. Yeah if you want to try any other modes you need to play with friends.

You are tempting to me to drop the threebux even now, since I bore easily lately. . .

Also, the funniest thing about the new film grain is that they are clearly trying to emulate the Aliens camerawork. Except one of James Cameron's eternal regrets is how grainy the film stock was in Aliens (film dork reporting in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Ignore this post, I misread.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You are tempting to me to drop the threebux even now, since I bore easily lately. . .

Also, the funniest thing about the new film grain is that they are clearly trying to emulate the Aliens camerawork. Except one of James Cameron's eternal regrets is how grainy the film stock was in Aliens (film dork reporting in).
That's not entirely accurate - he personally oversaw the bluray transfer for 'Aliens' and was offered the option to remove the film grain, and intentionally kept it. He did the same thing with 'The Terminator', too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

That's not entirely accurate - he personally oversaw the bluray transfer for 'Aliens' and was offered the option to remove the film grain, and intentionally kept it. He did the same thing with 'The Terminator', too.

This is because he doesn't have the George Lucas gene.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So out of curiosity, since the hugeass patch, is this game worth a drat or is it still just a bunch of lies held together with spit, gum, and baling wire?

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
If you had to ask that to a game made by Gearbox then the answer is most definitely still no. If Duke Nukem Forever had gotten a 5 gig patch that suddenly made it a good game I'm sure they would've done the same for this and we'd all be sporting Duke's Bro's avatars right now in some parallel universe. The game as it stands would need to be completely thrown out and redone anew in order to make it good or remove the stigma of being "that terrible Aliens game Gearbox shat out".

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

E-Tank posted:

So out of curiosity, since the hugeass patch, is this game worth a drat or is it still just a bunch of lies held together with spit, gum, and baling wire?

It's still bad. nothing short of forcing the developers to rebuild the game from the ground-up will make this anything more than a buggy-rear end, unfinished, beta-quality piece of garbage. The recent overpriced DLC release, combined with the fact that we're guaranteed at least another three sets of "Future Content," just makes things more depressing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

It's still bad. nothing short of forcing the developers to rebuild the game from the ground-up will make this anything more than a buggy-rear end, unfinished, beta-quality piece of garbage. The recent overpriced DLC release, combined with the fact that we're guaranteed at least another three sets of "Future Content," just makes things more depressing.

It's already on a markdown week on Steam (or had one, anyway), so at least this will join the pantheon of $5 games sooner than most.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

It's already on a markdown week on Steam (or had one, anyway), so at least this will join the pantheon of $5 games sooner than most.

That's still $5 that could be spent on better games.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

This is because he doesn't have the George Lucas gene.
I'm trying to remember the reason he gave for wanting to keep the film grain, I think it was something like "it makes it look like a vintage war movie" or something to that effect. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a quote or something.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Xenomrph posted:

I'm trying to remember the reason he gave for wanting to keep the film grain, I think it was something like "it makes it look like a vintage war movie" or something to that effect. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a quote or something.

I'm sure I've heard him say something like this somewhere on the DVD super-special release in the bonus material. Something akin to not dicking around with digital tweaks in favour of preserving the film's gritty war movie feel.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xaerael posted:

I'm sure I've heard him say something like this somewhere on the DVD super-special release in the bonus material. Something akin to not dicking around with digital tweaks in favour of preserving the film's gritty war movie feel.
My mistake, he was talking about 'The Terminator' as being a "war movie" which is why he wanted to keep the film grain - he was given the same "remove the grain" option for 'The Terminator' and opted to leave much of the grain intact.

As for 'Aliens', he said this:

James Cameron posted:

I just did a complete remaster of ‘Aliens’ personally, with the same colorist I worked on with ‘Avatar’. And it’s spectacular. We went in and we completely de-noised and de-grained it, up-rezzed it, color-corrected it end to end every frame. And it looks amazing. It looks better than it looked in theaters originally, because it was shot on a high-speed negative that was a new negative that didn’t pan out too well and got replaced the following year. So it was pretty grainy. We got rid of all the grain. It’s sharper and clearer and more beautiful than it’s ever looked. And we did that to the long version, to the “director’s cut” or the extended play. I call it the “FM Mix.” That’s dating myself!

source

The bluray still looks incredible, though:

Unlike the 'Predator' bluray where they cleaned it up and removed all the grain, and made everyone look like wax dolls in the process:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

My mistake, he was talking about 'The Terminator' as being a "war movie" which is why he wanted to keep the film grain - he was given the same "remove the grain" option for 'The Terminator' and opted to leave much of the grain intact.

As for 'Aliens', he said this:

source

The bluray still looks incredible, though:

Unlike the 'Predator' bluray where they cleaned it up and removed all the grain, and made everyone look like wax dolls in the process:

Well, I'll be, that Aliens transfer looks OK. I would have expected everything to look like Predator.

Cameron has talked extensively about how he thought Aliens was a Vietnam allegory, though.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Ahahahahaha

Sega must now add disclaimers to their trailer footage as being representative of an unfinished product by the ASA.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Like there will ever be another advert for A:CM :) Even so, nice job asa.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Got drat, now I want to get the Predator Blu Ray just to see how awful everyone looks, because that picture of Arnold is hilarious.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Mostly everything scanned from film is kept grainy, no one (in the right mind) removes the grain because it always looks like poo poo.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

Mostly everything scanned from film is kept grainy, no one (in the right mind) removes the grain because it always looks like poo poo.

what was once considered a flaw in filmmaking is now considered a style.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Photex posted:

The point is that you remove grain from a film by choosing film stock that won't show it. Once it's there it's there, you're not going to remove it in post without loving up the image in other ways.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Photex posted:

sethsez posted:

The point is that you remove grain from a film by choosing film stock that won't show it. Once it's there it's there, you're not going to remove it in post without loving up the image in other ways.

Yeah a grainier stock would often be intentionally chosen to hide lots of effects shots as an example. A good example would be James Cameron choosing super 35 for Aliens. In general it's not a "flaw" as much as it is a preservation issue. When the Alien quadrilogy first came out on DVD as an example the transfers were a HUGE deal, not because they made it look better by removing "a flaw in filmaking" but because through a lot of good work, a DVD was able to make Alien and Aliens look ALMOST as clear and good as they do on those originally selected film stock as seen in a theater. We act like DVD/Blu-Ray/digital stuff is better by default because it's newer but the fact is that it and not digital delivery is here because it's cheaper. With Aliens on DVD it was a huge deal just it didn't become a blurry mess during the "futile escape" sequence since everything is dark, red and black, something it was just a given DVDs couldn't handle until that quadrilogy release came out. The idea that just plain removing the film grain completely is somehow a good way to correct stuff is crazy (as that Predator comparison should show).

Another good example is when Macross stuff started to come out on DVD. The original transfers were so clean that a lot of shortcuts and tricks in the animation were now clearly viewable and made everything look off, so they actually have, for lack of a better term, a "VHS filter" they had to add on to make it look as it did when they were originally broadcast.

Look at how much flak this Aliens game is getting even, for their lack of understanding of lighting and grain (which is odd since there were a lot of earlier screenshots where it was clear they were trying to imitate Alien's film look very closely instead of just slapping on a filter).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 4, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
For anyone still interested in this horrible game, here's a good comparison of the original demo, the initial release of the game and what it looks like now after the four gig patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm8Yc2fEvHk&hd=1

It looks like they actually did some work? Obviously not to the horrible story but maybe the gameplay got maybe better and the lighting and textures at least look improved.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Us poor Wii U owners will never be able to experience this game as it was truly meant to be experienced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAHXsCtTFVw
I love the bullshit little disclaimer at the beginning and how it's obviously using the high-end PC fake demo.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Calaveron posted:

Us poor Wii U owners will never be able to experience this game as it was truly meant to be experienced
I love the bullshit little disclaimer at the beginning and how it's obviously using the high-end PC fake demo.

Honestly, I call this a good outcome. Sega just saved all those Wii-U players (all four of them) from having their expectations crushed by an awful, awful game.

On that note, anyone up for some TDM? The pubs are just as susceptible to SPOOKS now as they were at launch.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ChickenHeart posted:

Honestly, I call this a good outcome. Sega just saved all those Wii-U players (all four of them) from having their expectations crushed by an awful, awful game.

On that note, anyone up for some TDM? The pubs are just as susceptible to SPOOKS now as they were at launch.

I would be, but I wont be home for another hrs. We should pub stomp more often.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Calaveron posted:

This is a plus for the WiiU in the console wars, right?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Bruceski posted:

This is a plus for the WiiU in the console wars, right?

Honestly, it really is a bullet dodged for people who own that system.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
There would have been no real advantage to having A:CM on the Wii U, except maybe to use the entire game pad as the Alien radar scanner, pinging away as they got closer, then you could have some fun with adding a whole load more aliens or just have it go off out of nowhere and then stop suddenly.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

PowerBeard posted:

There would have been no real advantage to having A:CM on the Wii U, except maybe to use the entire game pad as the Alien radar scanner, pinging away as they got closer, then you could have some fun with adding a whole load more aliens or just have it go off out of nowhere and then stop suddenly.

Some leaked info from testers told that it was the worst version of the game, visually and mechanically. The gamepad was used to do a bunch of minigames for closing doors or such.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
:stare:

I could see myself trying to fleeing through a level, come to a door, and only realise I'm supposed to use the pad after I'm killed.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

'Swipe across the pad to close the door.' ...Yuck.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
New patch.... that's already been pulled from Steam because it broke the game for most people :allears:

It's the film grain toggle that was promised ages ago, that a modder had a fix for within a few hours, and they've locked down some (most? tough to tell when people can't even launch the game) of the ability to mod the game.

It's fantastic.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Shyfted One posted:

New patch.... that's already been pulled from Steam because it broke the game for most people :allears:

It's the film grain toggle that was promised ages ago, that a modder had a fix for within a few hours, and they've locked down some (most? tough to tell when people can't even launch the game) of the ability to mod the game.

It's fantastic.

The games life cycle is long since dead and it's still giving!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The best part about this patch is everyone flipping out about their placebo .ini fixes going away.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

pixelbaron posted:

The best part about this patch is everyone flipping out about their placebo .ini fixes going away.

Yeah, the fact that any of them believe that the AI could be improved through the ini files is pretty hilarious.

Still 3 more pieces of DLC to go!

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Not the NHL GDT... sorry

Let's just pretend it was an accidental double post

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

SSJ Reeko posted:

Some leaked info from testers told that it was the worst version of the game, visually and mechanically. The gamepad was used to do a bunch of minigames for closing doors or such.

If the game was better designed, I would have been down with using the gamepad to 'hack' the doors when you rip open those panels. The simple act of opening and closing not so much though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sethsez posted:

Exactly, and grain in film is part of the beauty of it because it's an organic format. I work in post production and everyone, mostly the guys scanning the film love the grain. They love the grit. The worst is when someone "degrains" the film because it's just a filter they run over all of the film and it's nasty. Added grain (which just looks like noise) is awful as well too.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Shyfted One posted:

Still 3 more pieces of DLC to go!

There's no way they're going through with all 3 DLC packs. They'll just claim that The Horde DLC is was always worth $29.99 or whatever they were asking for and cut their loses.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PowerBeard posted:

There's no way they're going through with all 3 DLC packs. They'll just claim that The Horde DLC is was always worth $29.99 or whatever they were asking for and cut their loses.

If they did that they would be sued for false advertising and not have a legal leg to stand on. I think it's much more likely that they'll just half rear end the remaining DLCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Chomp8645 posted:

If they did that they would be sued for false advertising and not have a legal leg to stand on. I think it's much more likely that they'll just half rear end the remaining DLCs.

$10 multiplayer skinpack DLC, here we come!

• Locked thread