Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
New Kickstarter update and new screenshot, looks really good.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/444758?ref=activity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That does look good. Pretty much what I would expect from a modern iteration of P:T.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked the first screenshot, but this looks a lot better i think, on the same level as what we have seen from Project : Eternity

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
These "Not in Any Pledge Tier" add ons are too cruel to my wallet. You evil geniuses.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I like the variety in style but something seems off with the scale and perspective. The boards and bolts on the left side seems much too large compared to the stairs and statues on the right hand side. Also, the bridge looks wrong and appears like it's being stretched to attach in the wrong spot.

I'm thinking of boosting my pledge. Gonna check out these non tier goodies.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. I dropped off the source book, I'll wait till a physical copy is available and buy it in the shops then, but then the comic collection grabbed me so they barely lost anything. Clever marketing.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Inxile also released a vision document: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxMevjNSr2EjRXBlY0l1RmpuaWM/view?sle=true some of the stuff in there we have already seen, but there are some new tidbits of information, and basically everything about the game mentioned until now is nicely gathered and organized in that document.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 3, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, I decided to back this even though I've been spending way too much money on Kickstarters lately. Project Eternity, Torment and Divinity: Original Sin are pretty much the holy trinity of upcoming games for me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It looks really good, but to be truthful the first thought after looking at that new screenshot was "Ugh, barrels."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That second screenshot's pretty good to see; whilst I love for all the far-out weird-fantasy concepts the game is going for, keeping it grounded with actual urban domestic areas where people can live, eat and sleep will help cut any surrealness-fatigue and help contrast the game's more crazy-rear end locations. Nice addition Brother None :)

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Drifter posted:

It looks really good, but to be truthful the first thought after looking at that new screenshot was "Ugh, barrels."

But...where else are people going to store things?!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Great Rumbler posted:

The cool kids store them in giant worm-creatures.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

So what are the chances of them just being really nice and adding a few of those stretch goals regardless of whether or not the target's been reached? I mean, I'm aware of how tight the budget is going to be for the game but... c'mon, companion quests, man.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah, I could have done without the front-and-center reminder that I will have to be looking through a bunch of barrels and bins for the whole game (or until I get sick of doing it; I have self-control). However, that looks so much like a spiritual sequel to Torment. I'm kickstartering this Kickstarter right now, and I hope it's great.

Playing Divine Divinity this week has retaught me the simple pleasure of destroying every single barrel I see. Also, containers that tell you how many items are in them. If those two little perks are in this then I'll be happy.

Satanos fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 3, 2013

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah, I could have done without the front-and-center reminder that I will have to be looking through a bunch of barrels and bins for the whole game (or until I get sick of doing it; I have self-control). However, that looks so much like a spiritual sequel to Torment. I'm kickstartering this Kickstarter right now, and I hope it's great.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Satanos posted:

So what are the chances of them just being really nice and adding a few of those stretch goals regardless of whether or not the target's been reached? I mean, I'm aware of how tight the budget is going to be for the game but... c'mon, companion quests, man.

Given how fast the funding rate has kicked up in the last 20 hours or so, I don't think that $3.75 million is going to be a problem. I'm interested in seeing if they can make it to $4 million and get all of that extra content.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

The kickstarter really picked up right now. :stare:

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I just feel we're in uncharted territory when it comes to the funding spikes. Even Project Eternity isn't the best metre to measure it against.

Whatever happens, Friday night is going to be tense.

Dec 26, 2012

omeg posted:

Of course it did. We're in the home stretch now.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

omeg posted:

If you click remind me on kickstarter it sends out an email around 48 hours, so things should start to speed up with that bump plus just the general "this is my last chance to get in on it" rush at the end.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

GhostBoy posted:

I'm sure the Torment guys have this down, but you have to be mindful, even in an RPG for connoisseurs, that you don't lopside the advantages of one path over another. If the choice is Evil Hammer of Oneshotting vs a warm and fuzzy feeling, you are very close to making a gameplay choice for the player that is hard to ignore.

Also Good is Dumb is an annoying trope.

How is that a trope? In what other game besides one instance in PS:T was making an evil choice somehow more beneficial? Good is always the right choice with the best reward.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

White Phosphorus posted:

How is that a trope? In what other game besides one instance in PS:T was making an evil choice somehow more beneficial? Good is always the right choice with the best reward.

I'm sure others can come up with many more and better examples, but in Baldur's Gate 2, the best wizard in the game is as evil as they come. None of the other NPC mages even come vaguely close to being as good as Edwin. Similarly, I believe the best straight-up fighter in the game is the evil dwarf (though of course no one is as awesome as Minsc and Boo).

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Given how fast the funding rate has kicked up in the last 20 hours or so, I don't think that $3.75 million is going to be a problem. I'm interested in seeing if they can make it to $4 million and get all of that extra content.

It'll hit $3.75 million if the next 48 hours are roughly equivalent to the previous 48 hours. Every indication says that the last two days are the biggest outside of the first few days, so it's almost guaranteed to make more than $3.75 million. Does that mean $4 million? Maybe not, but it'll be incredibly close.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

The Hall of Lingering Reflections is now unlocked.

I don't think hitting $4 million will be too much of an issue at this point.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wow, that hits the Infinity Engine bone hard, doesn't it? Look good. Can't quite believe we're getting multiple new 'Infinity Engine' games in the next couple years.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Schurik posted:

Only thing that makes me sad about all those legacies is that I'm probably not gonna going to be able to stop myself from going Gold/Indigo every time.

It seems to me like Indigo could have a lot of Greater good dilemmas. Kill 5 children to save a 1000 people, that kind of stuff. Same with gold, except involving sacrifice of oneself. The system looks complex enough to provide something similar to complex and sometimes nonsensical motivations of human beings. I quite like it.

In fact everything Iv'e seen son far of the game looks and sounds amazing. I was looking foward to P:E the most so far but the weird and surreal aesthetic of Torment is really appealing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

babypolis posted:

It seems to me like Indigo could have a lot of Greater good dilemmas. Kill 5 children to save a 1000 people, that kind of stuff. Same with gold, except involving sacrifice of oneself. The system looks complex enough to provide something similar to complex and sometimes nonsensical motivations of human beings. I quite like it.

I think Indigo's justice would not have you kill people to save other people in some Riddler-esque scenario, but to try to prioritize the situation and attempt to save them all, then if any died you would then go on an after-rampage to kill those who set up that situation in the first place. If we're talking about 2 groups of people, one diseased and one not, I could easily see you isolating those who were sick - even against their will - and trying your hardest then to cure them.

My point, I don't think Indigo is about murder of innocents - even if it has you accepting the deaths of people while you work to save them. It would be about the murder of murderers, though.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
If they cant give us everything from the 4mill tier, I hope they do the extra city. That is loads more game to explore, and having "only" 11 legacies still leaves a lot of replay time (moreso with the extra city and its attendent NPCs, dilemmas, etc...).

In fact I wish it was 3.8mil, 3.9mil, 4mil for the three parts. Then I would feel more secure about the Oasis of M'ra Jolios. :ohdear:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

I think Indigo's justice would not have you kill people to save other people in some Riddler-esque scenario, but to try to prioritize the situation and attempt to save them all, then if any died you would then go on an after-rampage to kill those who set up that situation in the first place. If we're talking about 2 groups of people, one diseased and one not, I could easily see you isolating those who were sick - even against their will - and trying your hardest then to cure them.

My point, I don't think Indigo is about murder of innocents - even if it has you accepting the deaths of people while you work to save them. It would be about the murder of murderers, though.

I don't know. It straight up says the Greater Good. That's standard pop culture consquentialist language. Certainly sounds like the kind of thing that sacrifice X people to save Y people type decisions would push you towards.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Great Rumbler posted:

People! All items need to be pickpocketted off of random townies, and you can then harass them to hold your stuff for you. Just don't let us know where they'd be storing all those axes.

Whoa, whoa, they changed the requirements for physical addons so any tier above $45 qualifies? It used to be physical required for a T-shirt, didn't it? (how do the addons work anyway? it's through e-mail after it ends? pledge now or later add it on, but then it won't count for the kickstarter #s?)

Noricae fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 4, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
[Greater Good Discussion] Tribute is a better real life example. Somebody has a huge army demands you send X gold and Y slaves per year or they'll come and kill everyone.

Do you send these people/goods for the greater good or do you stand by your principles and get everyone killed?

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Noricae posted:

Whoa, whoa, they changed the requirements for physical addons so any tier above $45 qualifies? It used to be physical required for a T-shirt, didn't it? (how do the addons work anyway? it's through e-mail after it ends? pledge now or later add it on, but then it won't count for the kickstarter #s?)

Yes, any tier above $45 can get physical addons now. All you do is increase your pledge by enough to cover any addons you want (not your pledge tier, just the monetary amount) and then after the kickstarter's over you'll get sent a survey where you can specify which addons (if any) the extra money you donated is to be used for.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

White Phosphorus posted:

It's a broad term of course, but the specific use I was referring to was the idea that good guys are expected to never take any rewards out of the goodness of their hearts, even though they may know they face overwhelming odds and a hard fight. The idea that taking some money or item, usually freely offered as thanks for something you have already done, is not "kind enough", even though that may help you help others down the line, is irksome.

More to the specific comment I replied to, which suggest that the benevolent option should even penalize you in some way, my thought was that this is really hard to pull off in a way that doesn't just create an obvious right choice. You cannot design on the assumption that narrative gratification as a rule is enough to offset gameplay disadvantages. At least if you want the consequences to retain impact and not be trivial like "walk slow for 10 seconds".

I'd be fine with something like the classic "evil is power now, good is power later" thing even, though I hope they spice even that up a bit, so I'm not advocating that all rewards should be equal in all specific situations. Of course, between the Tides, these nice vs bad choices may not be so clear cut and this whole thing is moot. :)

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 4, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Pyradox posted:

Yes, any tier above $45 can get physical addons now. All you do is increase your pledge by enough to cover any addons you want (not your pledge tier, just the monetary amount) and then after the kickstarter's over you'll get sent a survey where you can specify which addons (if any) the extra money you donated is to be used for.

Ok, thanks :) Now to figure out how I can work $1800 extra in there :P

That new art is really great, and exactly what I pictured. Minus barrels and boxes.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zurai posted:

I'm sure others can come up with many more and better examples, but in Baldur's Gate 2, the best wizard in the game is as evil as they come. None of the other NPC mages even come vaguely close to being as good as Edwin. Similarly, I believe the best straight-up fighter in the game is the evil dwarf (though of course no one is as awesome as Minsc and Boo).

The first point I would make is that having evil NPCs be powerful is not really an example of evil choices having beneficial consequences; if you act like a dick in Baldur's Gate what happens is you get fewer quest rewards and eventually, slaughtered by the Flaming Fist.

The second point I would make is that Minsc is terrible and overrated.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Brother None - is there any chance at all that the Numenera Torment Sourcebook will see a physical printing?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Chairchucker posted:

if you act like a dick in Baldur's Gate what happens is you get fewer quest rewards and eventually, slaughtered by the Flaming Fist.

Not when my Wizard PC and Edwin have something to say about it, they don't. Then again I also slaughtered every single drow in that game, because someone had to teach those assholes some manners.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

FRINGE posted:

Brother None - is there any chance at all that the Numenera Torment Sourcebook will see a physical printing?
The 14th update said this specifically:

quote:

A clarification from yesterday – the Numenera Torment Sourcebook is not available through any pledge tier – you can only get it as an add-on. However, while its add-on value is at a discount, the sourcebook will be part of the Numenera product line and is not exclusive to Torment backers.

Whether that means physical book or only digitial is probably up to Monte and how well the Numenera line in general sells.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

GhostBoy posted:

Whether that means physical book or only digitial is probably up to Monte and how well the Numenera line in general sells.

That's what I presumed as well. I imagine that if they could have offered a physical printing of the book as an addon they would have done, but circumstances intervened, either through Monte vetoing it or for it just not being economically viable to print the thing.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I am already thinking of interesting legacy combinations besides the cookie cutter Indigo/Gold

Blue/Silver for a philosopher king kind of deal
Red/Gold for a crazy partier hedonist
Silver/Red for Romans!

I hope the system is as interesting as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Why did you jerks mention that extra Numenera source book I didn't already have in my pledge, I had to go and up it.

• Locked thread