Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Just picked up the game at lunch today :toot:

I had really limited experience with Tri, so I'm essentially coming into the series fresh. I know the OP says there's no "best" weapon, but is there any weapon that's particularly good to start with as a beginner, in terms of it teaching you some of base mechanics of combat and getting a feel for the game? When I briefly played Tri my friend told me to use the Switch Axe and I had no idea what was going on with it and he did a terrible job of explaining it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

Aerox posted:

I had really limited experience with Tri, so I'm essentially coming into the series fresh. I know the OP says there's no "best" weapon, but is there any weapon that's particularly good to start with as a beginner, in terms of it teaching you some of base mechanics of combat and getting a feel for the game? When I briefly played Tri my friend told me to use the Switch Axe and I had no idea what was going on with it and he did a terrible job of explaining it to me.

I'd say start with the long sword, it's got the right amount of reach and mobility for new hunters. You can cancel out of a lot out of the moves and fade slash is great for getting out of trouble.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Yeah the Long Sword is probably the best all around weapon. It's not the strongest but it's got versatility.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Good lord Royal Ludroth is a loving slog. It felt like it took a lot longer than it should have, although I'm pretty sure part of that is because I was using S&S. I also realize that I need to start using more of the tools I have available like Might Seeds and traps/bombs even on hunts, because right now I just get in there and start slicing until the monster stops moving.

Still, progress! :v:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aerox posted:

You can hit Start, go to Hunter's Notes, and see move lists for all the weapons. After that, all you need to do is walk out of Moga Village and practice in the first area. After you get the movements memorized, it's time to go slap some monsters around and start what'll be a long journey of stuffing body parts in a chest in your bedroom!

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
^^ Long sword, or once you get the Autoguard charm, the lance. Long sword gives you some buffer space between you and the monster to help you dodge a bit easier, and its pretty quick, and most moves cancel into a dodge real easy.

Once you have the charm, lance makes it easy to stay in the monsters face and it helps you block attacks until you learn to get quick enough on the r trigger to block. Once you get good at blocking, you can start working in dodging. After that, start branching out into other weapons after giving them a little bit of upgrading. Just getting used to the attack patterns and learning when to dodge vs block (on weapons that need it) is the beginning of the game. Lance helps out with that a lot. If you miss the dodge, you can still block the attack. And those little hops add up quick.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I know it's the path to pain when doing things on my own but I keep picking the greatsword. Then go out and try to slap those loving mosquitoes out of the sky. Even though I had used it for about 50 to 60 hours solo, years ago on the psp MHFU, I still feel that it's a pretty challenging weapon. When you're on with it, you can really clean house, but if you slip up, your rear end is really in the wind.

I've been using it exclusively since I started back in on MH3. After about 10 hours, the most difficult mission I've done was 'Bear Trap'- which was actually kind of fun. That bear thing seems to be a real sucker for telegraphing its attacks.

I'm considering faffing about with the hammer next, as it doesn't sound too far off from what I'm used to doing with the greatsword. The longsword sounds interesting, like a lower damage but higher mobility option from the gs. I have hosed around with the bow a little bit, but the aiming mechanics revolt me.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
...Deviljho ain't poo poo!

I didn't have any problems with him whatsoever. In fact, he's far easier than some of the subspecies I've been taking on. Slime Dios Blades, not even upgraded, and it took maybe 18 minutes for a first-ever encounter. The best advice is to hug his left leg. His right is the one that does the stomp, so you can't sit by it.

Cut his tail off, blew his chin up when he was sleeping, and caught him while he was enraged.

To be honest? Kayamba was a bigger problem than Deviljho. He's still got that terrible Ultimate Mask on. You know what its secret ability is? It makes Kayamba walk in front of as many of your attacks as he can, blocking them and keeping them from hitting the loving monster! First time I slime-tripped Jho, I went to start on his tail. Kayamba walked up and literally did nothing but move between me and Deviljho's tail. That's it. He wasn't attacking, he wasn't dancing. The only thing he was going was interrupting me.

Taking that stupid thing off him, I know that much.

Not sure I'll make any Deviljho gear. I'd rather spend that time fighting Cuga. But at least I don't have to be terrified of him anymore. At least not until his subspecies pops up in Tanzia questing.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Are combos ever worth it anyway? Any time I can get a combo I opt for a L3 charge or two instead, and I figure it would do vastly more damage than some dinky infinite combo swings.

A level 3 charge (working off Tri numbers) does 110% weapon damage, higher than any other weapon, but three hits (A,X,A) from a combo do the same 120% and do it in a shorter time. Combos are bad because you're vulnerable and will probably piss off your teammates.

In fact, I googled up a DPS chart where some guy takes swing timing and damage formulas to theorycraft DPS numbers for weapons for each attack, and he speculates that comboing a stationary target does 1.5-2x more damage than using charge swings. His math may be a bit off, but my guess is that the general trends are valid. His gamefaqs post about it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Deviljho isn't really all that scary on his lonesome. He can be intimidating at first but he's mainly a threat because he will wander in while you're fighting something else.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I've rediscovered my love for the Longsword after going Horn for a while. I am LOVING the change to the charge system; its much easier to manage now that the red blade ticks down to yellow rather than nuthin'. I also love the way the Wroggi set looks with the Wroggi blade. Go poison!

One thing I can't remember is how well Longblades work for elemental/status effects. I think they handle them well, right?

E: phone typos. Blech.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
You'll discover how nasty Deviljho can be when he shows up during your Black Diablos runs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So I just picked up two copies of Monster Hunter Tri today to play with a friend and when I got home I found out the servers are going offline at the end of the month. There isn't some form of system link/local area network multiplayer is there?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there some secret to using the artillery mask I'm not getting? It always seems to fire off in a completely random direction and miss.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Len posted:

So I just picked up two copies of Monster Hunter Tri today to play with a friend and when I got home I found out the servers are going offline at the end of the month. There isn't some form of system link/local area network multiplayer is there?

Sorry, your are SOL there. No more Tri online :negative:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I can now make (if I had the parts) the pumpkin armor; holy poo poo it looks great and I need me some pumpkins god drat you Argosy Captain!

Also, what do I do for the "Siren's Song" quest? It seems to have the same objectives as a Harvest Tour but I can also kill 2 Pecos instead? Can I just wait it out or are killing the Pecos mandatory?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Machai posted:

Sorry, your are SOL there. No more Tri online :negative:

Welp. Time to find out if that store accepts returns on used games.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Sire Oblivion posted:

I can now make (if I had the parts) the pumpkin armor; holy poo poo it looks great and I need me some pumpkins god drat you Argosy Captain!

Also, what do I do for the "Siren's Song" quest? It seems to have the same objectives as a Harvest Tour but I can also kill 2 Pecos instead? Can I just wait it out or are killing the Pecos mandatory?

You must kill Pecos. It will keep spawning them until time is up, but you must kill at least however many it says (probably 2) before time expires. If you want to quit, you can deliver the pawpass ticket to end the quest. I think you either dont get tickets til two are killed, or if they are available with fewer than 2 pecos dead, you will fail if you turn them in at that point.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Sire Oblivion posted:

If that's the quest that says something alone the lines of "Or survive until time expires", waiting until time expires will actually fail the quest. I let it run while browsing the internet and it failed after the 50 minutes. So yea you'll need to kill whatever the quest gave you the "option" of doing.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
There's some fine print on page 2 that says you must kill at least 2 Peco's and then you can let time expire.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
The quest also ends if you kill 5 pecos.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
http://tinyurl.com/cwoqhtb

I wrote up a quick guide on Veggie Elder tickets. If you've been getting them and don't know what they're for, or you know what they do, but don't know what you get, check it out.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
So how exactly do the controls work on the 3DS without the CPP?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I AM CARVALLO posted:

So how exactly do the controls work on the 3DS without the CPP?

Exactly the same, you'll just been using the D-pad and touch screen D-pad to move the camera around and using the lock-on a lot.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

11 kills and 16 caps to get an Ian plate :argh:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Potsticker posted:

I had the option long before unlocking High Rank. Though I had streetpassed with two people and had them show up in my solo Tavern area.

I feel like the answer is Monster Hunter.txt Something inscrutable without prior knowledge.

Oh well, I got 1 Blossom Cricket randomly so, I guess just keep at it?

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

Thundercracker posted:

Hey, someone mentioned that talking to the Guildmaster in the Tavern allows you to change the quests you send your streetpass buiddies onto? How does that work? When I talk to that drunk he just gives me game tips.

I got the option immediately after finishing the Solo Port HR1 urgent quest. He mentions it when you talk to him after that.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
What should I be doing with my fishing fleet? I have two ships maxed, and the third will be once I get a rathian up in the forecast. They mostly just seem like a horrible resource sink with little return, especially compared to growing nulberries on the farm on a p/z basis. Is there something I'm missing here, or do they maybe just improve later?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GaylordButts posted:

What should I be doing with my fishing fleet? I have two ships maxed, and the third will be once I get a rathian up in the forecast. They mostly just seem like a horrible resource sink with little return, especially compared to growing nulberries on the farm on a p/z basis. Is there something I'm missing here, or do they maybe just improve later?

Abyssal Volcano with a treasure tracker can nab you a few silver eggs, which are worth 10k each. Occasionally, you might get golden eggs too, which are worth 20k. When you can send a boat to the Pirate's Tomb with a tracker, you'll get even more money from it. Furthermore, once you open up high-rank, you can trade in a lot more things to Junior for resource points, like lava nuggets which you can get off Uragaan and Agnaktor. Nulberries are still king in terms of how much effort it takes, since maintaining a supply of treasure trackers does require free hunts, but there's no reason you can't do both.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

If I have a Wii Ethernet Adapter and the Packet Relay Tools, can I tether a 3DS copy online to the Wii U without needing a copy of the game for Wii U? I don't think I'm gonna succeed in convincing any of my friends to pick up the game for Wii U :smith:

SterlingSylver
Feb 20, 2007
OK, I'm looking for some help with Offline Jhen. I emptied the dragonator into him twice, fired off 30 or so ballista shots into his face and broke a tusk, broke the spots on his back that you can break, broke both his claws, gonged him twice, bound him twice, and he destroyed my boat. What's a guy got to do to kill this fucker?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

SterlingSylver posted:

OK, I'm looking for some help with Offline Jhen. I emptied the dragonator into him twice, fired off 30 or so ballista shots into his face and broke a tusk, broke the spots on his back that you can break, broke both his claws, gonged him twice, bound him twice, and he destroyed my boat. What's a guy got to do to kill this fucker?

Create a weapon with +dragon damage or get some slime weapons. I did everything you did in my offline Jhen except I had the slime lance and I repelled him.

Edit: I don't know if you can make a +dragon weapon at that point, if not the rust weapons from rustshards end up being strong against things weak to dragon damage.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 4, 2013

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

Create a weapon with +dragon damage or get some slime weapons. I did everything you did in my offline Jhen except I had the slime lance and I repelled him.

If you don't have easy access to a dragon weapon, he's also pretty weak to ice. I used the Lagombinator gunlance the first few times I repelled him, though I haven't gone back and tried to go for an actual kill yet.

When are you gonging/binding him? If you use either while he's in the middle of an attack it's much more effective than just using them when they come off cooldown. Specifically, try at the very least to gong him when he rears up and does his huge bellyflop, that will make him fall onto his side for a good 20-30 seconds and let you attack the weakest part of his body, inside his mouth, which is also a good place to plant the anti-dragon bombs they give you if you're not going for tusk breaks. The Dragonator can make him stagger too, but the timing is a bit trickier. The final showdown is a little tricky single player, I don't think I've ever finished it with my boat higher than warning for durability.

Edit: Speaking of his mouth, once you get the hang of the fight you can take that opportunity to get some free carves, including a chance at an Earth Dragon Gem which can be a pain to get otherwise. That and the mining nodes on his back can get a good source of random Jhen parts if you want his armor or more of his weapons.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 4, 2013

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007
Who put my stapler in jello!?!?
I'm new to Monster Hunter and I just finished the guts quest that let me send boats out to check what charm table I have. How long does it take for them to get back? The lady says 2 days, but is that 2 days of real time, or game time? Or do I have to finish a certain number of quests?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ZoMBiePiGGy posted:

I'm new to Monster Hunter and I just finished the guts quest that let me send boats out to check what charm table I have. How long does it take for them to get back? The lady says 2 days, but is that 2 days of real time, or game time? Or do I have to finish a certain number of quests?

Two days in-game time. A day will pass in game if you complete a quest, or spend at least two minutes out in a free hunt.

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007
Who put my stapler in jello!?!?

Bussamove posted:

Two days in-game time. A day will pass in game if you complete a quest, or spend at least two minutes out in a free hunt.

Ok thanks, that makes sense.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
First timer here, and I bought this game a couple days ago and am having a pretty good time. I'm really liking the Switch Axe and to a lesser extent the Hammer.

Though, I have a few questions:

1) When can I upgrade my Insect Farm? I really want to start breeding Carpenterbugs and Killer Beetles.

2) Is the Gunlance still good at blocking? Are you still slow as molasses? Is there hopping/charging? Is it a good choice for underwater combat? Can I break off monster parts/cut off tails like the lance?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

gently caress catching a great jaggi :( I can never get that fucker to step on a trap.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Neo_Crimson posted:

First timer here, and I bought this game a couple days ago and am having a pretty good time. I'm really liking the Switch Axe and to a lesser extent the Hammer.

Though, I have a few questions:

1) When can I upgrade my Insect Farm? I really want to start breeding Carpenterbugs and Killer Beetles.

2) Is the Gunlance still good at blocking? Are you still slow as molasses? Is there hopping/charging? Is it a good choice for underwater combat? Can I break off monster parts/cut off tails like the lance?

You can't breed carpenterbugs, but I'm pretty sure you'll get the insect box either before or soon after killing the great jaggi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was hunting wroggis with a goon. He laid down a shock trap and threw 2 tranqs at it right before it reached the trap. It was captured and the trap was still there on the ground. Can you capture without a trap or was that a graphics glitch?

Once I get the S version of an armor is there any reason to keep the old one around?

• Locked thread