Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

api call girl posted:

Spoiler alert: the monti spongodes was winning, so I pulled the nem out and am now nursing it in the other tank with pellets and krill.

There, so now you know there's SPS the average anemone can't kill.

Lameeeee. One of mine won against an acro branch yesterday :( stupid nems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

Showing some hermit crab love. How could anyone not love him :3:

I started this tank in late October and found these little guys just last night. After some internet investigating I believe they are harpacticoid copepods. I'm not certain of that. If it is, apparently I'm doing something really right!

At first I freaked out because I couldn't really see them clearly. They sure scoot around quickly. They only thing I added in the last month is the gsp that my crab is picking at in the picture above. I added the gsp about a week ago.
e: That is the best picture I could muster of the pods or whatever.

Warsteiner fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 22, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It's possible they hitched in on your GSP rock, assuming you started clean with dry rock and substrate and just did regular cycling since October.

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

I'm not really clear on the SW lingo yet but I think I understand what you're saying.
I started with live rock and live sand. Check on the regular cycling!

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
My 40g tank last August, a couple weeks after moving from my 14g:

My tank a few weeks ago, almost 8 months later.

(The chalice on the right of the tank got so huge that I had to frag about 1/3rd of it to clear space for the new SPS in front)

I'm currently battling hair algae and diatoms for some unknown reason. My water parameters are fine... but I had been adding iodine over the last few months and may have overdone it. My few soft corals were dying and I read that it may be a lack of iodine... but read later that iodine can cause algae blooms so it may be that.

Overall things have been good though. I'm noticing that my SPS is growing fast, but browning. The tank is lit by a KeefKoi Evo150 LED, but I'm thinking about adding supplemental T5s (or I could add more LEDs... Thoughts?)

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 24, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
SPS might brown out if you have high nutrients, but then they wouldn't grow fast. They might lose color if you have low iron, but it shouldn't get low if you're doing regular water changes.

When did you switch to the LEDs and when did the SPS start browning? The color balance should be pretty good. Are you running the LEDs at full blast?

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

api call girl posted:

SPS might brown out if you have high nutrients, but then they wouldn't grow fast. They might lose color if you have low iron, but it shouldn't get low if you're doing regular water changes.

When did you switch to the LEDs and when did the SPS start browning? The color balance should be pretty good. Are you running the LEDs at full blast?

I've been doing regular water changes - actually 8 gallons weekly for the last six weeks (usually I would do one every other week), to get rid of the drat algae and diatoms (which has not worked).

I've had LEDs since the start of this tank and LEDs in the previous tank. I've only had the small SPS in the front of the tank for the last 2-3 months, and I've noticed it slowly starting to get brown over the last two months... you would think the algae and the browning SPS would both point to higher nutrients, but my test kits show 0 nitrate/nitrite/phosphate. A local fish store does free water tests, so maybe I'll bring a sample in just to confirm my test kits aren't way off.

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 25, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
My operating theory is that there's some kind of nitrates source in your tank which is getting soaked up by your film/diatom algae and corals, so you can't measure it. High nitrates but not high phosphates--phosphates inhibit skeleton-building in stony corals.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Welp, they just announced the AI Sol->Vega upgrade kits this past week or so. Guess I'm getting those. Probably going to start with the one above my 20gal to see how it works first.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Melchior posted:

I just got my WP40 yesterday and got it working. I had only a Koralia EVO 1450gph and Tunze 6045 in my 90g to keep things moving, so my flow left something to be desired.

I've been alternating between W1 (pulse) and ELSE (Reefcrest Mode) for the past 12 hours. Polyp extension on my millies and other corals seems to be a bit better. Fish are definitely having a time keeping in one place, too. In w1 mode the waves are about 1-2" high, but then I have my other powerheads going still for regular flow and that mitigates the wavemaking somewhat. In ELSE mode there is no issues with water slopping over the top of my tank either. It should be noted that the undertow from this pump, at least in my tank, is pretty strong. Flow is definitely obvious now, whereas before I installed it things were pretty much stationary.

I'd say for $108 shipped this thing is well worth the money and as someone who tries to keep their setup simple as possible it is a welcome addition. The impeller shaft IS ceramic so hopefully the rest of the wp40 will remain as reliable in the coming years.

The LOCK mode can be activated by holding down the feed button until the indicator light turns on. It can be deactivated in the same manner. The feed mode can be cancelled early if you wish; simply press the button again.

Want to buy one? They are currently on backorder. There is also talk of a WP25 later in the year, which is half the cost of the 40, intended for smaller tanks.
http://www.fish-street.com/jebo_wp-40_13000l_wave_maker

How is the wp40 holding up? I just lost a power head so I am thinking about picking two of these up to replace both of my existing power heads.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Any thoughts on this algae?

It's started springing up all over, looks kinda like bryopsis but not feathery, and much more firm, almost like that of chaeto. I picked up a tuxedo urchin in hopes that it will eat it, and I've tried raising mag levels to no avail.

What is ittttt?

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

Any thoughts on this algae?

What is ittttt?

I hope you find out, because I have it too. Trates, phosphates are undetectable, and I'm running purigen, carbon, and Rowa Phos, and doing a 25-40% WC every week to get rid of it, to no avail.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Kinda looks like Maiden's Hair algae. Does it all spring up from a central point and grow from there? I'm pretty sure manual removal plus an urchin will take care of it since it doesn't spread magically like the plague bryopsis.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Henchman 21 posted:

How is the wp40 holding up? I just lost a power head so I am thinking about picking two of these up to replace both of my existing power heads.

It hasn't died yet. Has more than taken over for my Koralia Evo 1400 and Tunze 6045. Growth of SPS is good and PE of my millis is good as well.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Wandering Orange posted:

Kinda looks like Maiden's Hair algae. Does it all spring up from a central point and grow from there? I'm pretty sure manual removal plus an urchin will take care of it since it doesn't spread magically like the plague bryopsis.

It does kinda look like that upon googling it, it definitely all springs up from a single holdfast, however, this poo poo is everywhere.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Apologies if this has been discussed a million times:

How much more intensive is a saltwater setup compared to a freshwater? My parents are looking into starting up a tank, and when they went to look at fish they liked the salt water fish a lot more. I know start up cost/maintenance is quite a bit higher than fresh water tanks, but what exactly goes into a set up? They've got a 30gal tank already, if that makes any difference.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

rear end Crackers! posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed a million times:

How much more intensive is a saltwater setup compared to a freshwater? My parents are looking into starting up a tank, and when they went to look at fish they liked the salt water fish a lot more. I know start up cost/maintenance is quite a bit higher than fresh water tanks, but what exactly goes into a set up? They've got a 30gal tank already, if that makes any difference.

Short version: Salt and RO water are going to be your biggest expenses for upkeep. Adding coral spikes the up-front cost significantly.

Long version:

It really depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want a basic saltwater fish only tank, upkeep and maintenance isn't much harder than a freshwater tank. Sure, you've got to make saltwater and have a place to store it prior to water changes, and you should use RO water instead of tap, but other than that a fish only setup is pretty easy to maintain. Just check the salinity regularly and keep up on maintenance and it'll be fine. You can use basic normal output strip lighting for fish only tanks as well. Hang-on-back (HOB) filters can be used with saltwater, so a basic 30g tank isn't much higher to start up.

If you add live rock (rock with bacteria in it to convert fish poop to harmless nitrates) its a bit more involved. Not much, though. It really isn't until you start keeping live coral that it gets significantly more complex than freshwater. At that point you've got to maintain several more water parameters to keep everything healthy, and you'll be killing coral and fish pretty frequently until you get the hang of it all.

Personally I would recommend, if they had time to devote to it, to set up a Fish Only tank with live rock (FOWLR) tank. This will let them add a small coral or two once they feel comfortable with it if they want. If not, no biggie. The live rock will help keep the water clean.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 27, 2013

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
The nitrates in my 50 cube have gone up over the last couple of weeks. I hadn't tested in months because they had been 0 forever but I measured with an API kit and got 5-10 ppm. I did a 10 gallon water change on Saturday, re-tested the next day and got closer to 5 ppm this time (or I'm real lovely and distinguishing those colors).

How soon can I do another large water change? Total water volume is probably under 60 gallons and I'd really like to get those nitrates back down to 0. My rainbow monti hasn't been extending its polyps for the last week or so and the red plating monti seems to be losing a bit of its color.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

If everything is doing alright, I wouldn't worry about it. My tank is consistently at 5-10ppm nitrate and everything is happy as clams, including the clams. Nitrite is the one you really want to be worried about.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

SaNChEzZ posted:

If everything is doing alright, I wouldn't worry about it. My tank is consistently at 5-10ppm nitrate and everything is happy as clams, including the clams. Nitrite is the one you really want to be worried about.

Yeah I wouldn't care as much if my rainbow monti didn't start closing up during the same period as when I think the nitrates started going up. I've also got a minor red algae outbreak that I'm thinking might be related.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

visuvius posted:

Yeah I wouldn't care as much if my rainbow monti didn't start closing up during the same period as when I think the nitrates started going up. I've also got a minor red algae outbreak that I'm thinking might be related.

Time to count your fish!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Can dosers like a Bubble Magus push additives upward? Do they handle head pressure okay?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Absolutely. This guy on reefcentral has what I'd consider as a pretty extreme vertical climb and hose length but has no issues at all.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Is there such a thing as too much sump? I'm planning on drilling the 12g long mr aqua I have and hooking it up to a sump, the question is how big of a sump. Since the thing is 36" long that gives me a lot of room since I don't mind having a stand considerably deeper than the tank itself, since petco is currently having their $1/gal sale on tanks I was considering getting a 29 gallon since that will still be ~6" shorter than the width of the tank, and I hope to have a stand that will be taller than the 18" of height a 29 requires; or would just a 20L be easier to manage with the same width/legnth but lower height.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Gillingham posted:

Is there such a thing as too much sump? [...] would just a 20L be easier to manage with the same width/legnth but lower height.

In theory, the more water volume, the better - so a sump really couldn't be 'too large'. But, it could definitely be too large for the stand you're putting it in. I wasn't able able to use a 20 Long in my stand because it wouldn't physically fit through the doors... So I went with a 20 Tall. This worked, but later I found it's impossible for me to remove my skimmer without disassembling it in place, in the sump. Even then, I have to turn it completely horizontal to get it over the wall of the tank and out the doors of the stand. Just keep in mind the height of the equipment you'll have in the sump.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Also consider equipment you will have OUTSIDE the sump (and therefore, probably, outside the stand itself). Right now I have, outside the stand: controllers, UPS/misc electronics, biopellet reactor, kalk stirrer, calcium reactor/co2 tank, ATO tank.

With SOME better planning on my part WRT stand and sump, a couple of those items probably could've fitted inside the stand.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
I guess steps I should be taking first are then:
1. Obtain equipment
2. Build/obtain stand
3. get sump
then? The tank is really all I have currently, since this is my first saltwater project I'm not sure where to go equipment wise.

Re: biopellets, is this a new thing in the hobby, does it have advantages over just using a bunch of live rock in the sump, etc? I spent some time reading about zeo reactors last night but most of everything I've read is purely subjective with no real comparisons.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Gillingham posted:

1. Obtain equipment
2. Build/obtain stand
3. get sump
then? The tank is really all I have currently, since this is my first saltwater project I'm not sure where to go equipment wise.

Re: biopellets, is this a new thing in the hobby, does it have advantages over just using a bunch of live rock in the sump, etc? I spent some time reading about zeo reactors last night but most of everything I've read is purely subjective with no real comparisons.

some people have issues with them, others dont. I had a non stop diatom bloom regardless of how little i used them but YMMV

Honestly I would worry about getting good rock and good sand before you start getting extra things like pellet reactors and such. First bit of extra equipment I would buy (after powerheads, pumps and a good heater) would be a protein skimmer.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Odds are with a 12gal a protein skimmer is all you end up needing.

I would not use rocks in the sump as they end up being a detritus trap more often than not (pay no attention to the fact that I have a ton of rubble in my sump, do as I say not as I do--I was busy with other stuff for 5-6 weeks last year and half my sump dried up when my ATO pump broke and all that rubble resulted in a massive die-off that I'm still dealing with the aftereffects of even today) and a biopellet reactor that gets clogged can be far worse a disaster than anything you avert by having one.

e:

WHY YES, I HAVE HAD ALL THIS HAPPEN AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 2, 2013

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I posted on here a while back about a mini maxi anemone that I couldn't get rid of and ultimately tried to murder with Apstasia-X. I pumped it full of the stuff and let it sit for a while. It seemed like the application destroyed the thing. I turkey basted what was left of him out of the nook in the rock he had anchored and called it a day.

Well, a couple of months later, the motherfucker has returned. These God drat things are indestructible. Its a bit smaller, and a bit whiter, but its there.

Time for round 2.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

visuvius posted:

I posted on here a while back about a mini maxi anemone that I couldn't get rid of and ultimately tried to murder with Apstasia-X. I pumped it full of the stuff and let it sit for a while. It seemed like the application destroyed the thing. I turkey basted what was left of him out of the nook in the rock he had anchored and called it a day.

Well, a couple of months later, the motherfucker has returned. These God drat things are indestructible. Its a bit smaller, and a bit whiter, but its there.

Time for round 2.

1)Clean off the rock
2)Get some water boiling...

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Jonny Nox posted:

1)Clean off the rock
2)Get some water boiling...

Just make sure there aren't any palys on the rock first. Dont need you to die on us :ohdear:

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Henchman 21 posted:

Just make sure there aren't any palys on the rock first. Dont need you to die on us :ohdear:

Hahaha yeah this is not going to work.

The rock has a huge xenia colony on it as well as some GSP and zoanthids. That's why I had to specifically hit just him with the apstasia-x.

I am never, ever loving with mini-maxis again.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

visuvius posted:

I am never, ever loving with mini-maxis again.

Was it bothering/killing other coral? What was the reason to get rid of it?

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

Gillingham posted:

1. Obtain equipment
2. Build/obtain stand
3. get sump

Make sure an RO/DI unit is on your equipment list

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Gambl0r posted:

Was it bothering/killing other coral? What was the reason to get rid of it?

It murdered an awesome Picasso clown and another fish. I tried a ton of different methods to get rid of it but the fucker didn't budge.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

visuvius posted:

It murdered an awesome Picasso clown and another fish. I tried a ton of different methods to get rid of it but the fucker didn't budge.

Chisel the rock?

FuriousB
Aug 4, 2003

visuvius posted:

I've had some luck with applying superglue gel to the area with smaller ones.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
So these came today,

Apparently I should not do math when I am drunk. One of these is more then enough flow in my tank. I cant even run half of the programs using the 24 power supply they give you with it. Very impressed overall, thanks to Melchior for turning me on to it otherwise I would have probably never known it existed.

If anyone wants my second one shoot me a pm, I'll save you the $26 shipping from Hong Kong :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!
I recently got a salt water fish tank and lots of fish:

Hawaiian Yellow tang - yellow fellow
Australian black clown x 2
Sailfin goby (Phillipines)
Royal gramma - Purple and yellow fish (Caribbean)
Bicoloured blenny - One that likes the rock.
Emperor Angelfish
Bird Wrass
Moon Wrass
Spotted Mandarin
Axilspot Hogfish

Invertibrates:
5 blue leg hermits (Haiti)
Turban/turbo snails (Indonesia)
Algae snail
2x Red Fromia Starfish

Everything has been going great except for the starfish, who looked fine when I got them but now they have pink goop coming out of parts of their arms. Is there anything I can do? It's only been 3 days since I got them. It doesn't look good.

• Locked thread