Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I just want to say that I really like what this thread has become. Only because of Helwootmalcrontigue

So it's not just me thinking this thread has gone to poo poo since I started posting more often?

SNIPE BITCH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Something is up lately. The dorkroom is full of shitposts and YOSPOS is full of seriousposts.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mightaswell posted:

Something is up lately. The dorkroom is full of poo poo

Lately?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Bikes are for poors

Tell that to my $2300 bike MOTHAFUCKA. :bustem:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Santa is strapped posted:

What is up with dorkroomers who are into photography, into cycling AND work in IT? I can count like 5 including myself.
Swap running for cycling and that's me.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

KidDynamite posted:

Having a $2300 bike just means you USED to have money.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

SoundMonkey posted:

Having a $2300 bike just means you USED to have money.

What makes it any different from posting in the Dorkroom to begin with?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Yond Cassius posted:

What makes it any different from posting in the Dorkroom to begin with?

The money wasn't spent on film and therefore was a big fat waste.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

KidDynamite posted:

So you have bike equivalent of a 98 civic that some 17 year learned to drive stick on and thought it was totally rad to pop tha clutch

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

dakana posted:

So you have bike equivalent of a 98 civic that some 17 year learned to drive stick on and thought it was totally rad to pop tha clutch

2 fast 2 wheeled.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

You guys are mean and this dick-waving contest is unnecessary. (I say while sitting in my $8000 chair. Bitches.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

woot fatigue posted:

You guys are mean and this dick-waving contest is unnecessary. (I say while sitting in my $8000 chair. Bitches.)

The Herman Miller Aeron chair doesn't cost $8000. :colbert:

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The Herman Miller Aeron chair doesn't cost $8000. :colbert:

I don't have an Aeron. I have:
  • Eames 670/671 Lounge Chair & Ottoman in Oiled Santos Palisander Rosewood with Edelman Royal Hide leather. ($8,000)
  • Two Eames LCW molded plywood lounge chairs in Santos Palisander Rosewood ($1,400 each)
  • Eames Aluminum Group Side Chair with arms, white frame, Maharam Messenger upholstery in Satsuma ($1,500)
  • Two vintage, first-year 1958 Eames Aluminum Group armchairs ($2,000 each)
  • Vintage Eames RAR fiberglass rocking chair ($1000)
  • Two vintage Eames DSR fiberglass side chairs ($500 each)
  • Herman Miller Select Eames LTR in red-orange ($300)
  • Eames Time/Life walnut stool ($900)
  • 60" George Nelson Slat Bench with metal legs ($900)
  • George Nelson Swag Leg Desk ($2,200)
  • George Nelson Swag Leg Work Table ($1,500)

There's a couple other things but they need to be restored so they don't count.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I ride a 1998 Klein roadbike in white with blue barwrap. gently caress you, haters. (its not a fixed gear either, because hills loving suck)

Living downtown basically means gently caress having a car. Bike erryday :snoop:

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Musket posted:

I ride a 1998 Klein roadbike in white with blue barwrap. gently caress you, haters. (its not a fixed gear either, because hills loving suck)

Living downtown basically means gently caress having a car. Bike erryday :snoop:

Does it have one of those sick Klein paint jobs with the super clean welds?

Edit: Are you Jerry Seinfeld?

woot fatigue fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 4, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

woot fatigue posted:

Does it have one of those sick Klein paint jobs with the super clean welds?

The welds are clean brah, but its just flat white. I had the chance to buy one one of those awesome looking Kleins with the wild paint and matching tires, ect... but that would scream "STEAL THIS BIKE". There isnt a lot of bike crime in my area, but it happens more often to bikes that stand out than those that dont.

Im more of a Kramer.

Musket fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 4, 2013

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Musket posted:

The welds are clean brah, but its just flat white. I had the chance to buy one one of those awesome looking Kleins with the wild paint and matching tires, ect... but that would scream "STEAL THIS BIKE". There isnt a lot of bike crime in my area, but it happens more often to bikes that stand out than those that dont.

Im more of a Kramer.

You're missing out on living. Just get a pair of Kryptonite NYC locks.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

woot fatigue posted:

You're missing out on living. Just get a pair of Kryptonite NYC locks.

My current bike accessorizes well with everything else i own :colbert: Its not just function, its fashion. Plus my Saul Gud sticker wouldnt be visible anymore.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Musket posted:

My current bike accessorizes well with everything else i own :colbert: Its not just function, its fashion. Plus my Saul Gud sticker wouldnt be visible anymore.

I suppose that works if your fashion is bland-rear end broke bitch.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

woot fatigue posted:

I suppose that works if your fashion is bland-rear end broke bitch.

Portland a gently caress, brah. Its also called Zef. Look at this scrub, doesnt even know about this cutting edge movement. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zef

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Musket posted:

Portland a gently caress, brah. Its also called Zef. Look at this scrub, doesnt even know about this cutting edge movement. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zef

When you return from 2010, see if you can smuggle me a pair of white Ray-Bans.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
White? You want my old bamboo ones? I bought pair made from petrified redwood, and these bamboo ones are scrubby now. We shouldnt be fighting woot.

They guy that was selling the multi-color Klein also kind of ruined it. Its a switchhub fixed gear and he ground off the mounts for the gear shifters, filled them with material and bondo-ed em shut. Would have been more work to make it a true bike. Its current state made it fitting for someone to leave on their balcony to show off rather than actually be useful as a bike.

I wanted my bike to be useful since its my main transpo.

Musket fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 4, 2013

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Musket posted:

White? You want my old bamboo ones? I bought pair made from petrified redwood, and these bamboo ones are scrubby now. We shouldnt be fighting woot.

They guy that was selling the multi-color Klein also kind of ruined it. Its a switchhub fixed gear and he ground off the mounts for the gear shifters, filled them with material and bondo-ed em shut. Would have been more work to make it a true bike. Its current state made it fitting for someone to leave on their balcony to show off rather than actually be useful as a bike.

I wanted my bike to be useful since its my main transpo.

That's hosed up. I saw somebody do something similar to a Cannondale road frame. My city daily is a Masi Speciale Fixed Limited with a ton of component upgrades. I don't ride it anymore since I moved from Chicago to the land of hills. My country livin' bikes are a '99 Trek Y-Foil 77, a 2001 Bianchi Daytona, a 2001 Specialized S-Works FSR for trails, and a GT BMX for loving around inside the house.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

woot fatigue posted:

GT BMX for loving around inside the house.

So when's the pumptrack being installed in your gallery?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

woot fatigue posted:

That's hosed up. I saw somebody do something similar to a Cannondale road frame. My city daily is a Masi Speciale Fixed Limited with a ton of component upgrades. I don't ride it anymore since I moved from Chicago to the land of hills. My country livin' bikes are a '99 Trek Y-Foil 77, a 2001 Bianchi Daytona, a 2001 Specialized S-Works FSR for trails, and a GT BMX for loving around inside the house.

When i thought i was gonna MTB a lot, i had a Trek 930 pimped out. Tried to ride it to work, heavy as gently caress and got bad pedal mileage. I ended up selling it to a friend who was lookin for a chromo frame to turn into a longhauler bike. He rode it from Everett WA to Tijuana Mexico. Said its the best longhaul frame around.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

So when's the pumptrack being installed in your gallery?

We used to have an old boarded up storefront downtown with a two-floor snake run and a bunch of ramps built in.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

TomR posted:

Friends!

woot fatigue posted about this thing: http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/vizelex-rhinocam-for-sony-nex-e-mount-cameras.html
The idea being that you use a medium format lens with a digital camera, but you slide the camera to cover the image circle.

That's great and all, but what if you wanted to do something like a 4x5 or even 8x10? That would be tedious!

Behold!

This is a stackshot: http://www.cognisys-inc.com/stackshot/stackshot.php
The idea behind this thing is to use as a macro rail and go in little steps to move your in focus area through the object you are photographing and stack the in focus parts. That lets you have a really close up shot of a bug or whatever and get it all in focus rather than a this slice.

But!

You can turn the camera sideways and have it do larger steps. That's great, you could get a panorama like that with a large format lens. Suppose you want a grid to cover the image circle of the large format lens? You would need two stackshots working together. Is that possible? I emailed them to find out, and it turns out they are working on it and hope to have something done in a few months, maybe the end of the year.

They did tell me though, that they have a secret test firmware and some blank spaces on the PCB of the controller unit where you can make a master and slave setup if you can't wait.

So everyone email them and bug them to make the thing so I can buy one, please.

So this thing basically just moves the camera along the rails for you? I don't see how that would work as an alternative to using a small sensor shifted on a large image circle. Shifting the camera side-to-side a few millimeters isn't going to do anything unless you have an extremely long lens. Where it can be helpful in panoramas is while using a tilt-shift lens. I do that with interiors in order to get a 40MP shot out of my 5Dmk2. Shift the lens -12mm, counter shift the camera on the rails +12mm, shift the lens to 0mm, shift the camera on the rails to 0mm, shift the lens to +12mm, shift the camera on the rails -12mm. Then photostitch the three images. The counter-shifting solves any parallax issues you'd get stitching a wide angle lens.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
No no, you have no lens on the camera and make the bellows attach to the front of the camera. The rail can be programmed to move any amount, so say 20mm or something to give you overlap. You are moving the camera sensor along the plane where the film would be. The exact same way the Fotodiox thing works.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

TomR posted:

No no, you have no lens on the camera and make the bellows attach to the front of the camera. The rail can be programmed to move any amount, so say 20mm or something to give you overlap. You are moving the camera sensor along the plane where the film would be. The exact same way the Fotodiox thing works.

But that rail doesn't move vertically, so you'd only be utilizing a long, horizontal strip of the image circle.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Thus needing two of them, one to go up and down. Did you read what I said? They are working on a prototype now. God.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

woot fatigue posted:

But that rail doesn't move vertically, so you'd only be utilizing a long, horizontal strip of the image circle.

Gosh keep up with the thread man. :rolleyes:

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

TomR posted:

Thus needing two of them, one to go up and down. Did you read what I said? They are working on a prototype now. God.

The single-axis StackShot is $525, so I can only assume the dual-axis model will cost more. The RhinoCam is $500 and ready to go.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
And doesn't cover large format. That was the point. This would automatically take all the shots for you once it's set up. So it would be fast and reliable. Even if you only used it for test shots it would be worth it if you shot a lot of large format stuff.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

TomR posted:

And doesn't cover large format. That was the point. This would automatically take all the shots for you once it's set up. So it would be fast and reliable. Even if you only used it for test shots it would be worth it if you shot a lot of large format stuff.

Oh. I didn't realize the large format part. I apologize.

Although, personally I'd rather skip the motorized part and stick to my own movements/calculations/motor-memory. I don't need another battery to worry about or computer to bug out while I'm shooting.

I know you can get a 4x5 scanning back for around $5k. I wonder what it would take to DIY one with a USB scanner.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I did see a good write up on someone who took a Canon LIDE apart and used it. They did extensive modifications to the sensor head and used a custom driver for a Mac. The results were kind of bumpy, not clean like a pro one would be.

I don't think you would get a usable 800megapickle image out of stacking 40 shots from a 4x5 anyway. I don't think large format lenses are as sharp as modern 35mm lenses such as the new Canon TS-E line. I could be wrong. But it would still retain most of the look you get from the large format lens, I would think.

Edit: I think this was it: http://golembewski.awardspace.com/cameras/scanner/

TomR fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 4, 2013

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

TomR posted:

I did see a good write up on someone who took a Canon LIDE apart and used it. They did extensive modifications to the sensor head and used a custom driver for a Mac. The results were kind of bumpy, not clean like a pro one would be.

I don't think you would get a usable 800megapickle image out of stacking 40 shots from a 4x5 anyway. I don't think large format lenses are as sharp as modern 35mm lenses such as the new Canon TS-E line. I could be wrong. But it would still retain most of the look you get from the large format lens, I would think.

Edit: I think this was it: http://golembewski.awardspace.com/cameras/scanner/

I saw some of the DIY scanner projects a few years back, but was hoping that they had advanced more than their... current state. Oh well - the prices for used MF backs are nearing affordable territory.

I've played around with mounting various new and modern MF lenses to my DSLRs. While some of the newer Zeiss glass gave beautiful results, sharpness was around what I would expect from an L-Series zoom. I can imagine the results would be similar with large format.

Honestly, with the TS-E 17+24 combo being as sharp and distortion/aberration-free as it is, I really don't see any reason to move up in formats unless it's for something magical like the 80MP IQ180. If Canon releases a 40MP body as rumored, I'd be even less likely to. It would be interesting to see how the TS-E duo handles the higher resolution and pixel density.

Edit:

A few months ago I thought it was pretty nifty that North Korea added me as one of their ten Flickr contacts. Now I’m concerned I might end up on a list…

woot fatigue fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 4, 2013

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

woot fatigue posted:

A few months ago I thought it was pretty nifty that North Korea added me as one of their ten Flickr contacts. Now I’m concerned I might end up on a list…

Oh the bright side, just think of all the tongue punching your starfish could possibly be in for!

squidflakes fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 4, 2013

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

squidflakes posted:

Oh the bright side, just think of all the tongue punching you could possibly be in for!

Just seeing all of the awesome potential for strict, symmetrical, vast interior compositions is making the thought of defecting extremely tempting.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

woot fatigue posted:

Edit:

You were probably on the lists already, no biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Since there are apparently a lot of IT folks in this here thread, just wanted to say that if you have a Safari Books Online subscription, there's actually a ton of photography books on there. I paged through Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book at work today.