Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I liked Doom when it was released, but I can't play it now; even with any kind of mods. I liked Blood and Blood 2, but again; that is a generation and style of gameplay that I don't particularly enjoy anymore.

I follow this thread because there were so many interesting FPSes; they were all so different, and it's fun to talk about why they were so different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
To be fair nobody enjoyed Blood 2's style of gameplay even when it was new.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So im desperately trying to find an old FPS, but the problem is, while i remember some details the name utterly eludes me.

Sci-fi setting. Multiple people to pick from at the start, influenced weapon choices i think. You were in a mine, refinery and military complex, it had gone nuts and was the only source of GO-FASTER ore in the universe. You fought your way past processing lines, refinery centres and mining and the plot was you getting thrown in there as a mercenary to murder everything, bring control back and collect your pay check.

I THINK the character choices were a loving huge alien green thing with some crazy arm blade and a honourable death wish, a lady merc too who was the "go faster and stab things" type and in it for the crazy money. The third guy being the generic space marine type. I might be getting things mixed up.

Ring any bells?

VVV Eradicator.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 4, 2013

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Shadowmorn posted:

So im desperately trying to find an old FPS, but the problem is, while i remember some details the name utterly eludes me.

Sci-fi setting. Multiple people to pick from at the start, influenced weapon choices i think. You were in a mine, refinery and military complex, it had gone nuts and was the only source of GO-FASTER ore in the universe. You fought your way past processing lines, refinery centres and mining and the plot was you getting thrown in there as a mercenary to murder everything, bring control back and collect your pay check.

I THINK the character choices were a loving huge alien green thing with some crazy arm blade and a honourable death wish, a lady merc too who was the "go faster and stab things" type and in it for the crazy money. The third guy being the generic space marine type. I might be getting things mixed up.

Ring any bells?

Eradicator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCRdzFWUDNU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Could it possibly have been the authentic DOS computer software and triumph of gaming that was Assassinators?

If it's not it probably should have been. This FPS was published by Memorex of all goddamn people and was available at fine drug stores everywhere. The different characters changed your starting weapons but I'm not sure if they changed their late-game weapons because I could never make it far enough in to find out before I'd die laughing at this ridiculous thing. I think my copy is still on a CD spindle around here, I'll have to dig it out some time -- it was, after all, the first FPS I ever played ironically.

Fact: while looking for this game's box art, the GIS also contained box images for Brink and Bet on Soldier and it reminded me that boy howdy I've bought a lot of questionable FPSes.

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 4, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Sir/Ma'am, i thank you for the night of sleep i will now get, instead of spending it trying to remember this game's name. :3:

No idea how GOOD this game was objectively speaking, i loved it as a kid but hey... nostalgic reaction is hardly a good measurement of quality.

I also vaguely remember it being hard as balls and rather atmospheric with its details.

DoombatINC posted:

Could it possibly have been the authentic DOS computer software and triumph of gaming that was Assassinators?

Holy crap what. This game looks utterly off its rocker. :stare:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 4, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DoombatINC posted:

Oh sweet, it has an A.S.S. camera. Also Memorex? As in the CD-R manufacturers?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Shadowmorn posted:

Holy crap what. This game looks utterly off its rocker. :stare:

This game was pioneering poo poo. I mean, who else in 1998 could claim such amazing features as "sloped surfaces," "four times the pixels," or of course "become a killer tree," a feature now so common it's almost cliche.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh sweet, it has an A.S.S. camera. Also Memorex? As in the CD-R manufacturers?

Yeah, that Memorex.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

DoombatINC posted:

If it's not it probably should have been. This FPS was published by Memorex of all goddamn people and was available at fine drug stores everywhere. The different characters changed your starting weapons but I'm not sure if they changed their late-game weapons because I could never make it far enough in to find out before I'd die laughing at this ridiculous thing. I think my copy is still on a CD spindle around here, I'll have to dig it out some time -- it was, after all, the first FPS I ever played ironically.

Fact: while looking for this game's box art, the GIS also contained box images for Brink and Bet on Soldier and it reminded me that boy howdy I've bought a lot of questionable FPSes.

Aww, you got my hopes up. I thought this was an FPS I'd never heard of. Sadly, looking closely at the screenshots on the box it looks like this was just a repackaged release of "In Pursuit of Greed."

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Aww, you got my hopes up. I thought this was an FPS I'd never heard of. Sadly, looking closely at the screenshots on the box it looks like this was just a repackaged release of "In Pursuit of Greed."

I just looked up some gameplay footage of it on Youtube, and wow, I've heard of this one before but never seen it in action. It looks so bad, but the music is neat - in fact, I've heard the music before in various good Doom mods. I guess you might as well steal the one decent element.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf7mKiFzHLI

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I'm sorry to disappoint :( If you want to talk FPSes you've probably never heard of, how about Lunicus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhWGjkfGwo

Ten year old me loved this game. I got it for five bucks in a Costco software bin and spent a whole summer walking eight feet at a time and turning in 90 degree angles. It's got mouse aim, vehicle sections, dialogue trees - why would a game with this much going for it in 1993 be totally forgotten? One, it cost about a hundred bucks at release. Two, well, did you watch the trailer?

Or what about one I've had the hardest time tracking down, Sensory Overload?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKaQcJgeS0

I had the demo for this growing up and played it endlessly. This video shows off the gameplay pretty well, but there isn't any sound, which is a shame because the sound design was maybe the best part of the game. This video has awful footage but shows off the great audio -- the music was rocking, the gunshots were fierce, the enemy deaths were gruesome, and the player sounded alternatingly like Otto from The Simpsons and a helium fart.

Edit: oh my god I totally forgot Sensory Overload had offhand melee and grenades, between that and Marathon apparently it was illegal in the 90's for Mac FPSes to NOT predict future gaming conventions.

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 4, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal
The best part of Lunicus was the five-minute caching process it went through before each level while your 2X CD-ROM drive copied a massive 40MB of data to your hard disk (after you confirm that this will not make your computer explode).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
As a tribute to Lucasarts' dead bloated corpse, Raven and Activision have released the source code to Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy under the GPL.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

DoombatINC posted:

Mac FPS stuff

Wow, I had never heard of either of these. Lunicus looks like it's pretty completely terrible, but Sensory Overload looks and sounds pretty interesting. The clickable buttons in the elevator is a feature that I don't recall seeing in another FPS until Doom 3 or so. What other Mac exclusive FPSes do you know of? I know next to nothing about early Mac stuff, so all I knew about were Pathways Into Darkness and the Marathon series.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

As a tribute to Lucasarts' dead bloated corpse, Raven and Activision have released the source code to Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy under the GPL.

So we can get the source code for two Star Wars games, but not a 2.5D game from 1997 that had one sequel in 1998? But, still cool! Did the Soldier of Fortune sources ever get released?

Edit:

Obeast posted:

If you're talking about the first Jedi Knight game, the source code was lost a long time ago... I would love to go back in time and save it just to see what kind of awesome source ports we could get from it. :smith:

I was actually bitching about Blood, but that is a shame, the source for Dark Forces would be really cool.

catlord fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 4, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

catlord posted:

So we can get the source code for two Star Wars games, but not a 2.5D game from 1997 that had one sequel in 1998? But, still cool! Did the Soldier of Fortune sources ever get released?
If you're talking about the first Jedi Knight game, the source code was lost a long time ago... I would love to go back in time and save it just to see what kind of awesome source ports we could get from it. :smith:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

I just looked up some gameplay footage of it on Youtube, and wow, I've heard of this one before but never seen it in action. It looks so bad, but the music is neat - in fact, I've heard the music before in various good Doom mods. I guess you might as well steal the one decent element.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf7mKiFzHLI
Holy poo poo, the music is by Necros, who also did a bunch of tracks for Unreal and Unreal Tournament. I know what I'm gonna be listening to now for today :allears:

Jblade fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 4, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

The Kins posted:

You can count the number of good games LucasArts actually developed on two hands, 1 if we are only counting the post-quake era. As shown by the fact that Raven is releasing the source, they really were at their best as an IP manager. Is Raven still working on things?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Red_Mage posted:

Is Raven still working on things?
They do Call of Duty maps and stuff. Which is kind of sad in a way, but it's a stabler existence than some of their old peers if that Kotaku article on Doom 4 is any indication.

Irish Taxi Driver is probably going to be sad at me now.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

The Kins posted:

They do Call of Duty maps and stuff. Which is kind of sad in a way, but it's a stabler existence than some of their old peers if that Kotaku article on Doom 4 is any indication.

Irish Taxi Driver is probably going to be sad at me now.

I think we're in a lot better place than we were a few years ago. The triple combo of Wolfenstein, Singularity and X-Men Origins: Wolverine not selling well nearly put us under, and studios have collapsed from a lot less. We've still got a lot of talent who've been at the studio for 10-15 years, and its crazy working with them.

Its pretty loving nuts working on something as big as CoD.

EDIT: Also had no idea they were releasing those sources. Sweeeet!

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 4, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Singularity is something I keep meaning to pick up, but I never see it anywhere.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

The triple combo of Wolfenstein, Singularity and X-Men Origins: Wolverine not selling well

Speaking of which, do you know why Steam removed Wolfenstein from its catalogue? It used to be there, according to Doom Wiki.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

kirbysuperstar posted:

Singularity is something I keep meaning to pick up, but I never see it anywhere.

It's been 7.50 on Steam a few times but it rarely becomes the daily deal or anything like that. Solid game, only it's like 4 hours long and incredibly linear.

Still fun and memorable.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's been 7.50 on Steam a few times but it rarely becomes the daily deal or anything like that. Solid game, only it's like 4 hours long and incredibly linear.

Still fun and memorable.

Sounds good. I'll chuck it on my wishlist and hope for the best.

e:

quote:

An error was encountered while processing your request:
This item is currently unavailable in your region

Or not. :argh:

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 4, 2013

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Cat Mattress posted:

Speaking of which, do you know why Steam removed Wolfenstein from its catalogue? It used to be there, according to Doom Wiki.

No I don't. The Raven/Id games all have wierd rights situations. I don't think we got anything from Quake 4 being added to steam.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Still fun and memorable.

I wouldn't say four hours but yeah it's a decent Bioshock-esque game with some fun weapons. Never got to play multiplayer though, it was DOA.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Haha oh my god

(jediAcademy\code\server\sv_savegame.cpp): posted:

1569 char *levelnameptr;
1571: // I'm going to jump in front of a loving bus if I ever have to do something so hacky in the future.
1572 int startOfFunction = Sys_Milliseconds();
1749 // The first thing that the deferred script is going to do is to close the "Saving"
1750: // popup, but we need it to be up for at least a second, so sit here in a loving
1751 // busy-loop. See note at start of function, re: bus.
1752 while( Sys_Milliseconds() < startOfFunction + 1000 )

quote:

if (gbStartMinimized)
{
extern void FuckingWellSetTheDocumentNameAndDontBloodyIgnoreMeYouCunt(LPCSTR psDocName);
FuckingWellSetTheDocumentNameAndDontBloodyIgnoreMeYouCunt("Untitled");
}
From modviewdoc.cpp
// None of this poo poo works, because whatever you set the current document to MS override it with a derived name,
// and since the CWinApp class can't even ask what it's own loving document pointer is without doing a hundred
// lines of poo poo deep within MFC then I'm going to gently caress the whole lot off by storing a pointer which I can then
// use later in the CWinApp class to override the doc name.
//
// All this loving bollocks was because MS insist on doing their own switch-comparing so I can't pass in 'real'
// switches, I have to use this '#' crap. Stupid loving incompetent MS dickheads. Like how hard would it be to
// pass command line switches to the app instead of just filenames?
//

EDIT: Holy poo poo they're all amazing, sorry for the reddit link: http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1bnezw/jedi_outcastjedi_academy_source_code_released/

We can't figure out who wrote these hahah

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 4, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can anyone recommend any good gimmick WADs for Doom and Doom 2? I'm playing through Cyberdreams and Congestion 1024 right now and they're pretty fun.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Can anyone recommend any good gimmick WADs for Doom and Doom 2? I'm playing through Cyberdreams and Congestion 1024 right now and they're pretty fun.

Beyond Reality is a good recent one. Got an honorable mention in the last cacowards. The gimmick is 'surrealism' which actually does lead to some interestingly non-standard level design and some very silly enemies.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

This is awesome, and Raven have always been awesome.

Except for Hexen. gently caress Hexen

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I have a question about ezQuake. I loaded the server lists for multiplayer and even though it says there's about 200 servers for some sources only about 6 or so show up. Is there something I didn't do? I wanted to play on this one NeoTF server but it disappeared from the list :(

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Did you check HIDE FULL / HIDE EMPTY ?
When i turned those off, the list grew from 8 entries to a screen full of em. Most empty :P

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
"Doom means two things: demons and shotguns"

Carmack has the right idea! :hellyeah:

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Doom 3 had both demons and shotguns and it was poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, it's a decent sentiment on the surface, but Doom really "meant" like, high mobility, fast-paced action, and maneuverable level designs more than just "har har, demons and shotguns". A ton of lovely games have shotguns in them.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I'm really surprised ID take so drat long and tried to ape all popular FPS's at the moment rather than doing their own thing. Rage to me looked exactly like a lot of other games and lacked the old school style.

Doom needs to be an FPS that returns to that style, the effects and stuff should be simple enough to give a good sense of atmosphere, but run slickly on consoles and PC, provide kick rear end weapons, dangerous enemies and good level design. Heck, it doesn't even need voice acting.

Call Of Duty players like Call Of Duty, don't bother trying to grab that market share, investment is too risky but having a small budget and a fanbase that enjoys different FPS styles is a good way to get a decent success.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It doesn't even have to be as fast as original Doom, which might be weird if the graphics are realistic and to scale. It just needs to make you feel like a badass.

Or else just take the "glorified tech demo" criticism often leveled at iD and give us procedural, randomized gameplay. Id's got some pretty drat good programmers, and their whole push last gen was about procedural content. I've wasted an embarrassing amounts of my life on things like roguelikes and, for FPS, Reelism.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I feel like making an honest attempt at recreating the Doom feel of gameplay with modern graphics could be pretty commercially succesful, once people realized how fun it could be. I wonder how effective a marketing campaign towards people that played the original Dooms and then never really got into videogames after that would be?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Fag Boy Jim posted:

yeah, it's a decent sentiment on the surface, but Doom really "meant" like, high mobility, fast-paced action, and maneuverable level designs more than just "har har, demons and shotguns". A ton of lovely games have shotguns in them.

The fast pace cannot be underlined enough. You move *FAST* in Doom - around 90 mph at full speed, and nothing slows down the action. I think the difference in music shows what's missing from shooters today:

Example from Gears of War:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u41VE4vB67g
This music isn't bad. However, it's meant to sound 'epic', as in 'here's an epic vista you're supposed to stare at it and walk slowly forward with your jaw open'.

To contrast, Doom's music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDey8JnltP0
It's not 'epic' at all. It's fast paced, extremely visceral, and always has a constant heartbeat rhythm to it (although I suppose some of the slower Doom tracks are different, they have a sound that evokes despair rather than awe).

In other words, Doom's music sets up the player to be extremely aggressive, and really evokes a feeling of power. Grandiose, 'epic' music only serves to make the player feel small and inadequate. The aggressive metal music in Doom does the opposite - the player feels powerful, even if he's getting killed. Even the player HUD does this- your guy looks even MORE dangerous the more damage he takes, and has a really evil grin when you're firing weapons nonstop.

I'd go as far as to say FPS's nowadays, thanks to Halo, are 'hero' games, and Doom is an 'anti-hero' game through and through. Modern game heroes are shiny and graceful and narrowly avoiding danger at every twist and turn (yes there's some exceptions). Doom's hero is ugly as hell and mean as hell and doesn't narrowly avoid danger/stab wounds/bullets- he just takes them and keeps going.

edit: I do realize that many games today do have lots of 'the player gets hosed up' stuff in them. I'm just looking at general trends, esp. Halo.

Goreld fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Haha oh my god

EDIT: Holy poo poo they're all amazing, sorry for the reddit link: http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1bnezw/jedi_outcastjedi_academy_source_code_released/

We can't figure out who wrote these hahah

Hey, you know Rik D. and Tony don't you?