Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

This is really engaging! Lots of connotations, not all of them good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah, I had a crack at a local (hippie) festival but had a massive fail (shooting manual + booze and, erm, intoxicants), was a steep and really harsh learning curve. I have a friend who has been shooting festivals for years and he takes amazingly beautiful photos of people that really draw you in, mine were all really bad and honestly boring and very unengaging, coupled with the fact 99% of my exposures were completely rubbish. I played with a 24-70, 70-300 and 85mm prime all of which were great fun, I enjoyed myself running around but got fatally depressed when I was going through them when I got home. I think it's something that will take a lot of practice.
But yes I am serious about the hooker photos, I live in a pretty seedy part of Melbourne and some of the girls getting around are absolutely horrific, I'm sure there are some really sad and enthralling stories attached to how they ended up that way but I'm thinking a way I could craft a little self project to go out and take photos of them in their element, I think they could make pretty raw and powerful (albeit creepy) photos. Or am I waaay off? I posted some photos a few pages back that weren't too well received but you might get a bit of an idea for what kind of stuff I'd be going for.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Sludge Tank posted:

Yeah, I had a crack at a local (hippie) festival but had a massive fail (shooting manual + booze and, erm, intoxicants), was a steep and really harsh learning curve. I have a friend who has been shooting festivals for years and he takes amazingly beautiful photos of people that really draw you in, mine were all really bad and honestly boring and very unengaging, coupled with the fact 99% of my exposures were completely rubbish. I played with a 24-70, 70-300 and 85mm prime all of which were great fun, I enjoyed myself running around but got fatally depressed when I was going through them when I got home. I think it's something that will take a lot of practice.
But yes I am serious about the hooker photos, I live in a pretty seedy part of Melbourne and some of the girls getting around are absolutely horrific, I'm sure there are some really sad and enthralling stories attached to how they ended up that way but I'm thinking a way I could craft a little self project to go out and take photos of them in their element, I think they could make pretty raw and powerful (albeit creepy) photos. Or am I waaay off? I posted some photos a few pages back that weren't too well received but you might get a bit of an idea for what kind of stuff I'd be going for.

You are way off if you intend to go 70-200mm route and be creepy. I would just grow some balls, shoot 35/50/85mm focal lengths and engage them in conversation and take their portrait properly. Break some gotdamn personal barriers. If a pimp beats you up and takes your camera (not likely if you are smart about this), that's what insurance is for.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
From what I'm aware some of if not most of the girls working in my area don't really have a pimp (I was going to go for a 100-400mm lens for this) and the purpose was going to be a kind of candid exercise to take photos of them just doing their thing, working, hanging out on corners etc. I can really see how it's a really, um, dirty 'project' that might well be frowned upon but I have just had a kind of morbid curiosity about the whole thing. Doing portraits of them may well work too, but I feel a lot of them would just plain tell you to 'F*** off (most of the corner hookers in my neighborhood are just junkies)' even if you offered to pay them. The photos would not be used for anything commercial or whatever, just a personal thing.

There are some really hardcore junkies in the area so the risk of getting beat up or robbed exists even if I wasn't taking photos of prostitutes.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Sludge Tank posted:

From what I'm aware some of if not most of the girls working in my area don't really have a pimp (I was going to go for a 100-400mm lens for this) and the purpose was going to be a kind of candid exercise to take photos of them just doing their thing, working, hanging out on corners etc. I can really see how it's a really, um, dirty 'project' that might well be frowned upon but I have just had a kind of morbid curiosity about the whole thing. Doing portraits of them may well work too, but I feel a lot of them would just plain tell you to 'F*** off (most of the corner hookers in my neighborhood are just junkies)' even if you offered to pay them. The photos would not be used for anything commercial or whatever, just a personal thing.

There are some really hardcore junkies in the area so the risk of getting beat up or robbed exists even if I wasn't taking photos of prostitutes.

You would be amazed how far you would get with them if you just treated them as people and not some junkie hooker. If you run the risk of being robbed there no matter what, just pass on the idea then?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Eh, I could give it a go. Tbh I just really wanted candid street shots of them doing their thang, I'm not really saying all this in a derogatory tone, I'm just telling it like it is. These girls are pretty smashed up. But ok, I'll try it your way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It is a horrible idea.

Sludge Tank posted:

I'm just telling it like it is. These girls are pretty smashed up.
Aaaaand now you're just horrible period.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
You're entitled to your opinion, but I really don't see how it's any different to taking photos of any random stranger in the street.
I know there is a big element of human suffering and obviously "you can't imagine the things these people have been through for them to end up like this" etc etc, I just think they would make for incredibly interesting 'compelling' photos having shots of them going about their daily business (not photos of them actually 'in the act', just shots of them out in the street, etc)

and by 'smashed up' I mean a lot of them are in a really bad way, long ways down the line of drug addiction and whatnot. Think of the same way someone might go to a 3rd world country and take photos of all the human suffering they see over there, is it really any different?

serious question btw.
I'm not doing this to mock anyone, purely an 'edgy' photography thing. and of course there are going to be heaps of people who find it distasteful.

e: one of my pics from a previous post:

this is the kind of stuff I'd be looking at doing(it's a junkie shooting up on a church doorstep). Just really raw and candid. I mean I could have just completely misjudged this thread and maybe it's way inappropriate but I really don't see THAT much of an issue with it? Can someone explain why it's a horrible idea?

Again I understand there is a lot of human element that should be considered in this like peoples feelings etc but I don't see much difference between this and taking photos of impoverished people in say a 3rd world country... or am I way off again?

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 4, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Sludge Tank posted:

and by 'smashed up' I mean a lot of them are in a really bad way, long ways down the line of drug addiction and whatnot. Think of the same way someone might go to a 3rd world country and take photos of all the human suffering they see over there, is it really any different?

:psyboom:

e. someone edit the maybe out of the thread title, tia.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Sludge Tank posted:

You're entitled to your opinion, but I really don't see how it's any different to taking photos of any random stranger in the street.
I know there is a big element of human suffering and obviously "you can't imagine the things these people have been through for them to end up like this" etc etc, I just think they would make for incredibly interesting 'compelling' photos having shots of them going about their daily business (not photos of them actually 'in the act', just shots of them out in the street, etc)

serious question btw.
I'm not doing this to mock anyone, purely an 'edgy' photography thing. and of course there are going to be heaps of people who find it distasteful.

e: one of my pics from a previous post:

this is the kind of stuff I'd be looking at doing(it's a junkie shooting up on a church doorstep). Just really raw and candid. I mean I could have just completely misjudged this thread and maybe it's way inappropriate but I really don't see THAT much of an issue with it? Can someone explain why it's a horrible idea?

Again I understand there is a lot of human element that should be considered in this like peoples feelings etc but I don't see much difference between this and taking photos of impoverished people in say a 3rd world country... or am I way off again?

You can be raw and candid and still respect people and still interact with them. Journalists that cover those 3rd world stories/kids/people are not sightseeing. Those journalists are there out of compassion (and money lets face it, their job is to tell the world some stories). They respect the people and their stories and backgrounds. You do not respect these people even enough to say "hey guy, lemme take your picture".

Get hosed. You are so off on your world view here. They are people, not photo props.

If you want to make a serious go at your project, get in there. Get dirty, strike up conversations. You will find your end results far more rewarding. Anything less is just lovely snapshots.

Musket fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 4, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

This guy was a loving Wall Street trader and he treats his subjects with more compassion and dignity than you'll ever be able to muster. Yes, you're way off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arnade/sets/72157627894114489/

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Ok, you make a fair point. I'll try it both ways, I think my idea in my head is a lot less nasty than I've painted on here (3am ramblings) but I see the points you are making. I'll rethink the idea and how I'll go about it.

PS those Chris Arnade photos are the kind of things I'd love to be able to work up to.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 4, 2013

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

096.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

106.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

113.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

157.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

People tend to be incidental objects in my photo's but the last one is a re-do of a photo I took quite some time ago but without having a tripod with me. It would appear that my tripod wasn't completely level though.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Back to digital for this one:

Couples di maxmars70, su Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Kodak Moment by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

I like your concept of showing the fronts of heads.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Musket posted:

I like your concept of showing the fronts of heads.

But there's two people whose fronts of heads you can't see :saddowns:

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Here are some photos from the Pillow Fight in NYC

DSC_0410 by undefined., on Flickr

DSC_0138 by undefined., on Flickr

DSC_0202 by undefined., on Flickr

DSC_0302 by undefined., on Flickr

DSC_0388 by undefined., on Flickr

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
I've been getting my film on at the Barbican in one of the rare London moments of sun:

000023 by atmz, on Flickr

000029-2 by atmz, on Flickr

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

You can take photos of impoverished people in the 3rd world while still interacting with them and treating them with respect.

(Paraisópolis Favela, São Paulo)

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
I like this one a lot.

I found some colors

DSC_0573 by undefined., on Flickr

DSC_0584 by undefined., on Flickr

FACKER fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 17, 2013

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Sludge Tank posted:

This is what I do for a living. I do not do it by taking out my zoom lens and shooting people while hiding behind something from a few dozen yards away.

Your project is poorly conceived. I can think of a number of major flaws in your plan, the most major of which is "You're going to end up with photos of women standing around," the least of which is "You're going to get your rear end kicked and your camera smashed because someone's going to assume you're a cop."

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
I had Words to Say, but I think the best course of action is to stop this pile-on and post photos of streets.

I took photos of people in Liverpool Street station today:

Untitled by atmz, on Flickr

Anyway, I've (re)discovered the dodge/burn tools in Lightroom, and it seems that for this kind of contrasty black and white work they can really help to bring back some detail to the shadows/highlights. Having said that, I amy be deluded due to 'new thing' blindness. Have I overdone it?

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

FACKER posted:

I found some colors

Love it.

TMZ posted:

Anyway, I've (re)discovered the dodge/burn tools in Lightroom, and it seems that for this kind of contrasty black and white work they can really help to bring back some detail to the shadows/highlights. Having said that, I amy be deluded due to 'new thing' blindness. Have I overdone it?

Love this one too. And no, I don't think you've overdone anything, in either of your two photos. They both have a really nice look to them.

Here are a couple from wandering around my suburb today during the monthly street markets...

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Love how you layered the front and background with the light in this.

I'm shy of doing street photography, but felt really at ease trying my hand at it in London.

Thames South Bank por primoitcho, no Flickr

Borough Market por primoitcho, no Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jalan Hang Jebat, Melaka, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

DSC_0758st by zackaryattackary, on Flickr

DSC_0754l by zackaryattackary, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

Picadilly Circus. by Clwn, on Flickr

Southbank, London. by Clwn, on Flickr

Occupy London 2011, revisited. by Clwn, on Flickr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Not so much street as party but.

And the story behind it:http://whenileftmybed.tumblr.com/post/49770367973/a-white-boy-at-a-filipino-birthday

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Some photos from the March Against Monsanto that I went to on Saturday.

It Approaches by prismaticglasses, on Flickr

Poison Apple by prismaticglasses, on Flickr

Proper by prismaticglasses, on Flickr

Getting In My Plants by prismaticglasses, on Flickr

Experiment by prismaticglasses, on Flickr

widunder
May 2, 2002
This is amazeballs.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

nemoulette posted:

amazeballs.

This is one of those words that you should never say again.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!

FACKER posted:

I like this one a lot.

I found some colors

This is fantastic, great job. I am always looking for shots like this but the streets are so narrow here in Germany that it's difficult to have enough clearance for this type of prospective.

I snapped this picture while walking back from my favorite sushi place downtown. This little restaurant is built into the side of the oldest church in the city. I may play with a different kind of crop though because I really like having the stones at the bottom of the photo but sometimes I feel like it may work better without so much empty space.

Abend Essen by Guitar Abroad, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Solitude, Kanazawa, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Pretty brave to put a painting on the floor like that... not to mention expensive.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

casa de mi padre posted:

Pretty brave to put a painting on the floor like that... not to mention expensive.

Well to be fair, it was more of an art installation. There were quite a few other similar installations on the floor too, in other galleries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I love how the wall just sort of disappears to white. Really nice shot.