Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

biochemist posted:

I was actually really surprised when I got my new job- my manager is a great guy and there's a bunch of things to do, but he's stuck in meetings all day and things tend to bottleneck until he can start assigning tasks. I came from a small firm where I had a huge list of things to do every day and I was getting paid so much less, so it pretty crazy that I was getting paid significantly more and had a lot more free time.

I asked a couple of the other developers around, and they said that it was par for the course for contracting gigs- if they ask you to do an hours worth of work over the course of the day, you stretch it to 8. If they give you a huge task list, you do your best to knock it out. It's kind of weird, and it's my first 'big' job so I'm trying to find extra ways to be helpful and go above and beyond, but I'm not sure if at the end of the day it's going to result in my contract being extended or anything. On a good day I'm reading blogs and writing little experimental JS and portfolio stuff, on bad days I'm on imgur for waaaay too long.

I'd love to find a way to do a bunch of cool stuff non stop, but we're high up on the Fortune list and there's a ton of bureaucracy weighing us down.

That's a project management failure. If they were doing things right, you'd have a consistent, reasonable amount of work to do each week/sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I just took an online aptitude test for a job I applied for after talking to the recruiter. It had general programming logic, database queries, some algorithms and math questions. Fairly standard interview questions that I handled fine, except for the fact that it was obviously written by someone who could not speak English. This tripped me up on quite a few questions as there was arbitrary word choice and I didn't finish as much as I could have because I was decoding the stupid grammar and spelling mistakes. Is this something worth mentioning or if I don't get a callback should I just let it go?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Newbie Programming Interviews/Get a Job Megathread: Get paid $384/hr to do nothing

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Woo, I should have an interview for what sounds like a really cool job in C# and some C++, working with machines to automate all sorts of processes. I've done a little work with flatbed scanners and barcode readers and I really enjoyed working with physical hardware instead of just writing lovely CRUD apps for sales orders like I have been for a while now. I spoke to the staffing agency today and they seemed pretty cool compared to most others I've talked with.

I've always been crappy at coming up with questions to ask when I get the actual interview, but a few I was thinking of;

-How are employee reviews / evaluations done? (My current employer doesn't do them)
-What's the dress code and work environment like, cubicles, or...?
-What would the benefits include and who should I direct any questions to (is it too early in the process to ask this?)
-Standard business hours? 8-5? 9-6?
-What is the policy on telecommuting
-How much overtime is considered normal or otherwise acceptable? (again, I'm not sure if it would be too early to ask this)

I should also mention I'd be relocating for this job, but more than likely no relocation assistance. However, I know little about the region it's in. Any decent questions to ask relevant to that?

The company I work for now, the interview process was basically "Where did you go to school? Do you use C#? Okay, here's what we do, want do it?"

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 2, 2013

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Here are some ideas for questions off the top of my head, many of which may be helpful in uncovering any warning signs before you join:

What is a typical workday like for you?
Sorta an open question, might not be super useful, but could uncover something interesting.

How do new projects or features get proposed?
Shows whether coworkers commonly give input on future direction or if it's entirely top-down.

Whats the management structure like?
It could be completely ad-hoc, or there might be one overloaded manager trying to herd dozens of people, etc.

What sort of planning is done for future releases?
Its possible that there isn't any, implying frequent death marches and last minute additions.

How are upcoming releases tested?
Check whether any such testing occurs, and how thought out it is.

What tools does the team use? (eg SCM, bug tracker, common editor)
At least gets you something to read up on if you haven't used it yet. Also possible that they're using something stupid.

For the questions you've picked, some comments (the ones not mentioned here look good to me):

What's the dress code and work environment like, cubicles, or...?
Ideally you'll be able to discover both of these during your interview by observing your interviewers and the office.

What would the benefits include and who should I direct any questions to (is it too early in the process to ask this?)
Your recruiter would be a better person to ask this. The employees you'll be interviewed by probably won't have all the info. You can wait until you've heard back after the interview. If things go well, the recruiter will give you a lot of this info anyway when trying to sell you on the position.

How much overtime is considered normal or otherwise acceptable? (again, I'm not sure if it would be too early to ask this)
You could word this as "How often are you in a big crunch?" or similar. Probably best to ask the underlings this question, since the managers will probably just sugercoat the issue.

It can help to give multiple interviewers the same question, just to see if the answer varies by position/role.

It's good that you're thinking of questions to ask them. Ideally, the interview is about you evaluating them as much as it is them evaluating you. Feel free to bring a written list of questions to pick from with you to the interview. Doing so may even show that you're well-prepared and well-organized.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Those are really good. Here's a few more:

• How often do you deploy/release your product(s)?
    • If they don't have any sort of schedule, or if the answer is "once a year", that's potentially a bad sign
  • How are estimates for projects determined?
    • If the answer is "someone in marketing makes a number up at random", that's a really bad sign. The team that will be working on the task should be responsible for coming up with estimates.
  • How is work assigned?
    • This, combined with the above question, can tell you if you're going to end up in a position where you just get random things assigned to you out of the blue with unreasonable estimates.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks for the ideas, definitely wouldn't have thought of those :)

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Thanks for the ideas, definitely wouldn't have thought of those :)

Also, the Joel Test is a little bit antiquated, but it has some good questions.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
So, job hunting from out of state: look at postings online, fire off my resume to everything relevant that doesn't specify that they're looking only for local candidates?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Safe and Secure! posted:

So, job hunting from out of state: look at postings online, fire off my resume to everything relevant that doesn't specify that they're looking only for local candidates?

"Local only" usually means they just don't want to pay you a relo allowance or spend the money to fly you in for an interview. If you're cool with that and are willing to do this on your own dime, apply anyway, put in your cover letter you're willing to cover your own relo expense. Some relocation expenses can be tax deductible if you pay out of pocket, consult with your tax advisor for full details on your unique situation as I am not a tax practitioner.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 2, 2013

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

"Local only" usually means they just don't want to pay you a relo allowance or spend the money to fly you in for an interview. If you're cool with that and are willing to do this on your own dime, apply anyway, put in your cover letter you're willing to cover your own relo expense. Some relocation expenses can be tax deductible if you pay out of pocket, consult with your tax advisor for full details on your unique situation as I am not a tax practitioner.

I did not know that about the taxes, that's pretty cool as I might be going from South-West Rhode Island to North of Boston if any of these interviews go well...

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I apologize if this question has already been asked - I didn't see a great deal of discussion (like, two posts) in the first ten pages of the thread.

What kind of prospects do I have as a person earning an MIS? I already have a bachelor's in English, and I got about a semester into my MLS program before I realized that the job prospects were a bunch of hot bullshit (entry level positions are typically labeled "assistants" in order to justify lower pay, which is $13/hr if you're lucky). If I get a job with a bunch of CS dudes, will they all secretly despise me? Will having a master's degree make a huge difference in the kinds of positions I could potentially earn out the gate?

I guess I'm mostly just concerned that there would be some sort of stigma attached to the degree. It would feel pretty dumb to go back and earn a second bachelor's degree when I could just get a master's, though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MIS seems to be a popular degree for consultant roles. You could probably find just as many actual dev. roles if your hard skills are strong.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

On a similar note, what's the best way to spend the summer before entry into the MIS program? I've been refreshing HTML / CSS fundamentals, and just started learning some basic Java. Should I keep that up?

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Necronomicon posted:

On a similar note, what's the best way to spend the summer before entry into the MIS program? I've been refreshing HTML / CSS fundamentals, and just started learning some basic Java. Should I keep that up?

What's your ideal career? You already have a bachelors, it might not be the best idea to spend a ton of cash on another one. At my school the degree seemed to be a mix of an associates-level understanding of programming with an associates-level understanding of business.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

quote:

If I get a job with a bunch of CS dudes, will they all secretly despise me? Will having a master's degree make a huge difference in the kinds of positions I could potentially earn out the gate?

In the real world, nobody cares what you majored in. They care that you can do the work and speak intelligently about it.

Necronomicon posted:

Build something interesting. Best way to learn, and the best resume item you'll have.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Gounads posted:

In the real world, nobody cares what you majored in. They care that you can do the work and speak intelligently about it.

Plenty of people care what you majored at least for your first job, depending on which subsector of the industry you want to work in, as was mentioned in the OP. Different companies value credentials differently, and neither the old school "You must have a BSci in CS" nor the Bay Area "just throw poo poo on Github for six months and wait for the offers to roll in" advice is universally applicable. Usually credentials are most important in getting past an HR filter to land an interview.

Necronomicon: what sort of programming job do you want to get? I'll quickly and badly define some broad subsectors of the industry for you in case you're unfamiliar:

• Web dev: applications that a user accesses through a browser. Relatively hot sector now. Usually requires little in the way of data structures & algorithms until you hit the mythical point of "scale", but database knowledge may be important. Can be separated into "front end" work that runs in the browser and "back end" work that runs on a server and generates the page to be sent to the browser. Common languages: JS, Python (often with the Django framework), Ruby (often with the Rails framework), PHP, Perl, and HTML+CSS.

• Mobile: applications that run on a smartphone. Relatively hot sector now. Requires more traditional CS knowledge, but not an excessive amount (you're working in an environment that's roughly as resource-constrained as a PC circa 2000). Requires extensive knowledge of your vendor's APIs (your vendor will either be Apple if you want to make money or Google if you don't).
    Common languages: Objective-C if you go the Apple route, Java (with the Android framework) if you go the Google/Android route.

• Enterprise: applications that a business uses for their internal processes, like accounting and inventory management. Not a hot sector but always hiring. I would say this requires a moderate level of CS knowledge, but there are plenty of people working in this sector who don't know a linked list from a hyperlink that this probably isn't the case (although companies in this sector may like credentials). Databases are huge here as well. Common languages: Java, C#.

• Systems: building things that people use to build computing systems with, eg. working for Oracle to write databases or working for Google/Facebook's backend. Relatively hot sector iff you know your poo poo. Requires a high degree of traditional CS knowledge. Common languages: C++.

• Games: making games for the PC or consoles (there is a mobile gaming sector as well). I don't know how hiring is in this sector now, but I've heard horror stories about working conditions and pay being depressed due to an endless stream of starry-eyed 22 year olds into the labor force. Requires a high degree of traditional CS knowledge, as well as some math from other domains (linear algebra is a huge one, as 3d poo poo is matrices matrices matrices matrices). "Indie" gaming is also a growing thing, but that's beyond the scope of this list. Common languages: C++.

• Embedded: writing firmware that runs physical devices, running the gamut from hard disk controllers to physical devices to the ABS system for a car. Often work here is done as part of a team with electrical and mechanical engineers. Not a hot sector but always hiring. Requires a high degree of traditional CS knowledge, along with some EE knowledge (there is domain specific stuff that is usually learned on the job). Common languages: C, various types of asm.

• Operations/sysadmin: writing software to keep datacenters running and websites available. There is sometimes a requirement to be on-call during certain hours. Always hiring. Requires a low to moderate degree of traditional CS knowledge, and database knowledge and network knowledge are often a big plus or a requirement. Common languages: bash, perl, python, Java.

Obviously this isn't an exhaustive list, but I hope it's helpful.

Blotto Skorzany fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 4, 2013

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Very helpful breakdown. I'd be curious to know what area you're in!

I'm not really looking for Web Dev jobs but from what I've seen in my area and what my peers do, if you're familiar with the hot JS frameworks you're set. All these start-up type places want someone that can knockout the competition with a good backbone in jQuery, someone who really nodes what they're doing.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
MIS is mostly for it/sys admin. DBA or devops if you're good. I'd be a little leery of an English BA with an MIS unless they had some experience to back it up, as a lot of what you need to be good in that role doesn't come from school. If you do it try to get some experience while you're still in school, even if its just help-desk part-time or over the summer. If you're already working in IT, get your employer to pay for it.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I already got into a Master's of Library Science, and databases and monstrous amounts of information are already pretty well in my wheelhouse. The program I'm looking at is 42 hours, and the classes I've already taken can slot in as electives (same department, after all). With 9 credits per semester (which is full time by grad standards) I can finish the degree in two years, roughly. I'd like to spend the summer before classes on a personal project that I can attach to resumes, just to get my feet wet. I've been refreshing my HTML / CSS chops and juuuust started up with extremely basic Java. Since half of the credits for my degree will be electives, I figure I can dip into the CS department pretty liberally to get more programming chops. With an English BA, my concern is that employers will see that and think I'll just run around writing poems about servers or some bullshit, so the more hard skills I can learn the better.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cicero posted:

IF YOU WAIT UNTIL YOU GRADUATE TO LOOK FOR JOBS YOU'RE AN IDIOT! DO NOT DO THIS.

poo poo son, this is exactly what I did. Am I hosed now? How is this gonna hurt me? This poo poo just ruined my night.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Dog Jones posted:

poo poo son, this is exactly what I did. Am I hosed now? How is this gonna hurt me? This poo poo just ruined my night.

It's going to perhaps hurt you because if you haven't gotten a job yet, there's a higher chance you tried to get a job but were rejected everywhere.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

shrughes posted:

It's going to perhaps hurt you because if you haven't gotten a job yet, there's a higher chance you tried to get a job but were rejected everywhere.

Nah, I just didn't apply for stuff because I wanted to finish a project for my portfolio so I could get a job in the field I want.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Dog Jones posted:

Nah, I just didn't apply for stuff because I wanted to finish a project for my portfolio so I could get a job in the field I want.

Facts don't have anything to do with this, it has to do with the perceptions of the person filtering resumes.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

shrughes posted:

Facts don't have anything to do with this, it has to do with the perceptions of the person filtering resumes.

Can I do anything to remedy this situation?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Know your poo poo inside and out, and interview well. I will pretty much always prefer a resume where someone has previous experience from a relevant internship, but it doesn't mean I won't interview someone who doesn't. It basically means you are just more of a gamble.

You mention a project portfolio... that could help if it is impressive and in some form that you can easily submit with job applications.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Plenty of people care what you majored at least for your first job, depending on which subsector of the industry you want to work in, as was mentioned in the OP. Different companies value credentials differently, and neither the old school "You must have a BSci in CS" nor the Bay Area "just throw poo poo on Github for six months and wait for the offers to roll in" advice is universally applicable. Usually credentials are most important in getting past an HR filter to land an interview.

I guess I was answering just for "If I get a job with a bunch of CS dudes, will they all secretly despise me?" - I still maintain that nobody really cares what you majored in, in a post-hiring situation.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Dog Jones posted:

You're not screwed, you're just in a less-good position that could've been easily avoided.

edit: To elaborate on this -

1. When you're still in school and interviewing for jobs, you're in a situation not unlike interviewing for jobs when you're already gainfully employed: because you don't need something immediately, you have a lot more leverage to only take offers that actually appeal to you. Meaning, you can avoid offers from companies you don't really feel right about, and you can walk away if negotiations don't go well (more the former than the latter probably since new college grads generally don't have a ton of room to negotiate). Of course, you may still be able to do this if you're living at home and have a decent family situation.
2. A lot of the best companies try to snatch up CS grads ahead of time, before their competitors can get to them, so if you wait too long you may find it more difficult to get an interview, since they've already passed their main college hiring phase. This is usually much more true for big (national) tech companies than smaller (local) ones, mind.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 5, 2013

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just got off the phone with a preliminary interview for a company that does embedded development for medical equipment. Mostly just seeing what my experience was / what they do. Unfortunately I have 0 experience with developing multithreaded applications and actually maintaining threads myself, but that didn't sound like too much of a problem for them. He recommended I do read up on it for my next interview though. I did read a few articles on MSDN about it for C#, any other good resources you guys know of?

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Gounads posted:

I guess I was answering just for "If I get a job with a bunch of CS dudes, will they all secretly despise me?" - I still maintain that nobody really cares what you majored in, in a post-hiring situation.

Yeah, I don't think I know where any of my current coworkers graduated from, when, or what degrees they got. Your coworkers would be so busy and caught up in their own poo poo that nobody's going to bother keep tracking of this stuff. Just don't be lazy, retarded, or insufferable and nobody will secretly despise you. This goes regardless of what degrees you have or where you went to school.

(At my old job, I secretly despised a guy who went had a CS degree from a top brand-name school but was lazy as hell, did his own poo poo instead of his project for the quarter (and everyone else on the team had to scramble to cover for him), and always kept asking me questions that could have been answered with a simple Google search. I got the sense that other people were annoyed at him too, for the first 3 reasons at least.)

Otto Skorzeny posted:

[*]Enterprise: applications that a business uses for their internal processes, like accounting and inventory management. Not a hot sector but always hiring. I would say this requires a moderate level of CS knowledge, but there are plenty of people working in this sector who don't know a linked list from a hyperlink that this probably isn't the case (although companies in this sector may like credentials). Databases are huge here as well. Common languages: Java, C#.

For enterprise, the sense I get is that you'll need some smart, very strong CS guys making the big architectural decisions and idiot-proofing the thing, and then you get the idiot coding peons on the bottom rung. So, I guess you get a nice spectrum of people, which is a good thing because there are always more experienced people to look up to and learn from. Fresh out of college, you'd probably be stuck with as an idiot peon until you earn your stripes, so it depends on how much patience you have dealing with all the other idiot peons around you and, depending on the place, how much you're willing to play the politics game to get that promo.

Again this is the sense I get, I don't have much experience or evidence to back this up, so I could be very wrong!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Getting out of an interview and realizing you messed up one small, silly conditional in a loop feels bad. Such a dumb mistake I should have realized. Hope it's not a big deal :ohdear: That was only 1 out of 5 (very easy) problems though. This thread definitely helped a lot with today's interview.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

facepalmolive posted:

For enterprise, the sense I get is that you'll need some smart, very strong CS guys making the big architectural decisions and idiot-proofing the thing, and then you get the idiot coding peons on the bottom rung. So, I guess you get a nice spectrum of people, which is a good thing because there are always more experienced people to look up to and learn from. Fresh out of college, you'd probably be stuck with as an idiot peon until you earn your stripes, so it depends on how much patience you have dealing with all the other idiot peons around you and, depending on the place, how much you're willing to play the politics game to get that promo.

Again this is the sense I get, I don't have much experience or evidence to back this up, so I could be very wrong!

Another path through this is to go into the business/functional analyst role. This sort of stuff requires people to analyze the business requirements and translate those to something that can actually be put together in software. Having a proper CS training but also able to talk the business side too can make you way more valuable than the people who only do the latter, and the folks I know who fit this category get paid quite well for what they do.

Someone will ask you "can the software do X, and what will that take," and your technical spidey-sense can tell you what the implementation impact is. And a technical background will help you much better to identify corner cases or other situations that you need to ask about while doing requirements gathering and test design.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

facepalmolive posted:

It could be so, but it could also be that the bosses have no coding background whatsoever, can't do / don't even see the reasons to do big architectural decisions, and see coders as just a commodity (which for some strange reason hasn't been offshored yet) to implement whatever they want, instead of looking after the coders' interests.

If there's something I'd like to suggest newbies to look for when hunting for a job, it's that you'd probably want a boss who has actually done a share coding himself at his time, as opposed to just being a cool guy.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Getting out of an interview and realizing you messed up one small, silly conditional in a loop feels bad. Such a dumb mistake I should have realized. Hope it's not a big deal :ohdear: That was only 1 out of 5 (very easy) problems though. This thread definitely helped a lot with today's interview.
This sounds like Dunning-Kruger at work. While you're not only able to recall but also worry over a typo you think you missed in a loop structure (while under the pressure of an interview and no regular toolset at hand to help clean that stuff up), there will be 3 other people minimum who walked out of there feeling like champs about the code they knocked out to solve that strange fizz and buzz numbers problem (which doesn't work properly and/or is a horrible mess of code with no organized thought behind it).

The only real drawback is one of them didn't notice it and point it out while you were there, which would've given you an opportunity to go "oh, whoops" and fix it up without being confused over what was wrong, etc, which would further demonstrate your familiarity with what you're doing.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

If you just got out of an interview email the person who interviewed you and explain that you realized that one of the solutions you suggested wouldn't work because of X, Y, Z.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Getting out of an interview and realizing you messed up one small, silly conditional in a loop feels bad. Such a dumb mistake I should have realized. Hope it's not a big deal :ohdear:

If we only hired developers who got perfect scores on our programming tests, we'd have a hard time hiring anyone at all (granted, I wouldn't call them "very easy"). It's not unusual even for pretty good developers to get started out in the wrong direction and end up totally bombing one question.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I have since calmed down and realized that its babby's first dev job and probably not a big deal. Conceptually, I also did something similar for another problem which illustrates that I'm not an idiot and that it was just because I was rushing. Now I'm worrying about making other mistakes! I'll find out soon enough though and I have an interview Monday that I need to do some prep for.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

I just got off the phone with a preliminary interview for a company that does embedded development for medical equipment. Mostly just seeing what my experience was / what they do. Unfortunately I have 0 experience with developing multithreaded applications and actually maintaining threads myself, but that didn't sound like too much of a problem for them. He recommended I do read up on it for my next interview though. I did read a few articles on MSDN about it for C#, any other good resources you guys know of?

Manually dicking around with threads has been considered a bad practice in .NET for several years; you should be using Tasks for long-running CPU-bound operations, and async/await for long-running I/O bound operations.

That said, read up on dining philosophers, deadlocks, race conditions, mutexes, monitors, semaphors, spinlocks, etc. Understanding the concepts will help, but even with a firm understanding, writing multithreaded code sucks.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 5, 2013

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Anybody have good advice for phone interviews? I have recently been applying to jobs out of state so this is my only option at the moment. I have been updating a document with topics to speak about, answers to common questions, and questions to ask the interviewer. Although, I am going to expand on these notes because I have not been answering some as well I could be.

P.s. is there anything worse than an interview on speaker phone? Hearing myself speak definitely interrupts my flow of thought.