Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I fired up that streaming kitten cam and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Tiny little machete!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

My dogs don't love each other, but they don't hate each other either. I couldn't be happier. I was, like, almost convinced we'd have to keep them separated full time when we first added the Chihuahua into the mix.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the only thing keeping chihuahua's from dying almost at birth is pure hatred of everything not them. :colbert:

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

a life less, someone brought Cohen's twin into my work the other day (except it was a boy dog with a girly name), not just a twin in looks but he was super well trained and his owners showed off some obedience and tricks - he even did Cohen's "be people"!

That's the whole story, I guess. You have such a pretty dog :)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Fat Dio posted:

a life less, someone brought Cohen's twin into my work the other day (except it was a boy dog with a girly name), not just a twin in looks but he was super well trained and his owners showed off some obedience and tricks - he even did Cohen's "be people"!

That's the whole story, I guess. You have such a pretty dog :)

While the odds are low, where'd you see him? Her breeder is pretty, ugh, prolific, and there are quite a few relatives of hers running around.

Sounds adorable. :3: And thanks!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151401468421989

Not sure if you could see this, but Buddy got a visit by the Easter Bunny Saturday night. :3: He sat out there SO good, without instruction from us, for at least a good 20 minutes, maybe even longer. I'm just so proud, because Buddy was a HUGE chaser when we got him. Years of work later, and that bunny was coming right up to him, and he didn't care. :3: It's hard to see in the video, but you can see the bunny when it hops past the light.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

This is a video of Angus' muscle spasms. They aren't as much of an issue as they used to be, I see them far less than I used to. I wish I knew what caused this but all kinds of tests (you can still see the biopsy scar on his shoulder) didn't turn up anything conclusive, just a general "Well, that's all really strange but it doesn't match anything we know."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1bBS0t1QiI&feature=youtu.be

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Stop 'roiding your dog up so he looks all buff and maybe he won't have weird muscle issues jeez :rolleyes:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Griff got spayed this morning (lol it took over a month to get her in because they forced me to reschedule twice because they overbooked lol gently caress you.) Drop off was at 8:30, and I was supposed to pick her up between 4:30 and 5. I get a call at like 10-something this morning saying that as soon as she woke up from surgery, she climbed out of her kennel, and she :angel: kept trying to bite everyone :angel: and could I come get her. So I had to go get her and work from home for the rest of the day so I could watch her and make sure she hadn't torn any of her internal stitches from climbing her kennel immediately post surgery!!!

All of this annoys me because 1.) I told them she could jump kennels. They said they had ones that were covered that they could put her in. apparently not!! 2.) I told them that she growls a ton but DOESN'T BITE, but if they were concerned about it, to *please* muzzle her to avoid drama. I even offered to put one on her for them if they were concerned. They said it would be "fine," and then a clinic full of people opted to ignore everything I said and chase an injured and doped up dog all over the place before finally calling me in fear to come get her myself. It's interesting to me that she apparently "tries to bite" everyone all the time, and has never actually succeeded in putting a tooth on a person- either she is the most inept biter ever, or they're being stupid. She has never once snapped at me, and I've had some pretty serious throwdowns with her. I'm not special, if she was so bitey I am pretty sure I'd have seen some indication of it by now.

I'm pretty sure she just makes hellfaces at people while roaring, and when they reach for her she throws in barking, the movements of which look like snapping to a dumbass, that's all I can think of. I know it's a shelter clinic, and I know most, if not all of the attendants are volunteers, and I don't expect special measures to be taken for my stupid dog, but when someone tells you "hey, my dog can escape the regular kennels and should probably be muzzled while here" and then you ignore all of that information and it results in the dog potentially injuring itself (and people, if she had actually been a dog who bites!) I think that's kind of unacceptable. It was just the most unprofessional bunch of horseshit I have ever seen, and if my workplace weren't as cool as it is, it could have resulted in me losing a day's pay, too.

ANYWAY Griff doesn't seem to have torn anything, she's just slept all day. She did throw up a belly full of water, but she gulped it pretty hard and it was only a couple of hours after she got home so I'm not too worried. Really I've just had to spend the whole day screaming at Moses to leave her alone because "YOU SMELL DIFFERENT, LETS gently caress." :downs:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

Griff got spayed this morning (lol it took over a month to get her in because they forced me to reschedule twice because they overbooked lol gently caress you.) Drop off was at 8:30, and I was supposed to pick her up between 4:30 and 5. I get a call at like 10-something this morning saying that as soon as she woke up from surgery, she climbed out of her kennel, and she :angel: kept trying to bite everyone :angel: and could I come get her. So I had to go get her and work from home for the rest of the day so I could watch her and make sure she hadn't torn any of her internal stitches from climbing her kennel immediately post surgery!!!

All of this annoys me because 1.) I told them she could jump kennels. They said they had ones that were covered that they could put her in. apparently not!! 2.) I told them that she growls a ton but DOESN'T BITE, but if they were concerned about it, to *please* muzzle her to avoid drama. I even offered to put one on her for them if they were concerned. They said it would be "fine," and then a clinic full of people opted to ignore everything I said and chase an injured and doped up dog all over the place before finally calling me in fear to come get her myself. It's interesting to me that she apparently "tries to bite" everyone all the time, and has never actually succeeded in putting a tooth on a person- either she is the most inept biter ever, or they're being stupid. She has never once snapped at me, and I've had some pretty serious throwdowns with her. I'm not special, if she was so bitey I am pretty sure I'd have seen some indication of it by now.

I'm pretty sure she just makes hellfaces at people while roaring, and when they reach for her she throws in barking, the movements of which look like snapping to a dumbass, that's all I can think of. I know it's a shelter clinic, and I know most, if not all of the attendants are volunteers, and I don't expect special measures to be taken for my stupid dog, but when someone tells you "hey, my dog can escape the regular kennels and should probably be muzzled while here" and then you ignore all of that information and it results in the dog potentially injuring itself (and people, if she had actually been a dog who bites!) I think that's kind of unacceptable. It was just the most unprofessional bunch of horseshit I have ever seen, and if my workplace weren't as cool as it is, it could have resulted in me losing a day's pay, too.

ANYWAY Griff doesn't seem to have torn anything, she's just slept all day. She did throw up a belly full of water, but she gulped it pretty hard and it was only a couple of hours after she got home so I'm not too worried. Really I've just had to spend the whole day screaming at Moses to leave her alone because "YOU SMELL DIFFERENT, LETS gently caress." :downs:

So Moses is just like any male of any species ever?

Sorry to hear that people are retarded. You really are doing a great job helping Griff out.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
A week without a pet is a long time, holy crap. My husband and I took advantage of his spring break schedule and finally went to pay an overdue visit to his grandparents in Mobile, Alabama. It's been sunny and warm (aside from one big thunderstorm) but Neigé couldn't come, so she stayed home with a family member to get spoiled there. We head back to Washington tomorrow and I don't care how chilly and rainy it is by contrast, I want my puppy! Our sitter said she's been lying in front of our bedroom door a lot, probably waiting for us to let her in. :( Poor abandoned doggy, a week is a long time.

In other news, the state of animal welfare in Alabama is pretty grim. People just straight up do not care. When they hear what I do as a job, they want to tell me all about their plans to breed their pit bull/blue heeler to a labrador/mastiff or the time their dog took on a dog 4 times its size or how it knows not to get on the furniture so it deserved that boot to the ribs. It no longer surprises me in the least that their shelter is overcrowded and underfunded to the point that they're euthing for walking in the door. The system and the culture do not prioritize animal welfare and the shelter will absolutely be broken until they do. That said, I've met a few people who took in "Katrina dogs," and they were wonderful, so maybe there's hope.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kitten pictures!

He's a bitey little gently caress right now.

Emphises on little

He's also got kitten fat.

The best dog. The little dude is fascinated with his toes and Balen just kept patiently pulling them away.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 3, 2013

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
There was just a little good news story on our local morning show.

A salon on the Gold Coast is transforming every day pets into wild animals using a special type of dye.
"We only use the special dog dye on dogs with no skin allergies and those that can handle sitting down for periods of time," stylist Lucy Taylor said.

Video link!

They have a website http://www.animalmagic.com.au

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

a life less posted:

While the odds are low, where'd you see him? Her breeder is pretty, ugh, prolific, and there are quite a few relatives of hers running around.

Sounds adorable. :3: And thanks!

This is in London, so about 4 hours away from Cohen's breeder but I didn't ask the owners where they got him. They seemed happy with the job I did so hopefully I'll get to see him again, I'll ask then.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
My mom is probably going to have to take Sushi back to the vet tomorrow. She says he isn't getting better, and that he is just suffering. He's one of two dogs she's ever had that was just.....a perfect dog. Manners, everyone loved him, he loved everyone....now she has to hold him so he can even pee or drink, and he hasn't eaten in two days. He doesn't even move anymore, so much as wobble. I will really miss that dog, he was such a fun little guy. Now he's just....it hurts to even look at him, because it just isn't him. It's like someone switched out my mom's dog for a broken, animatronic puppet.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

ToastFaceKillah posted:

My mom is probably going to have to take Sushi back to the vet tomorrow. She says he isn't getting better, and that he is just suffering. He's one of two dogs she's ever had that was just.....a perfect dog. Manners, everyone loved him, he loved everyone....now she has to hold him so he can even pee or drink, and he hasn't eaten in two days. He doesn't even move anymore, so much as wobble. I will really miss that dog, he was such a fun little guy. Now he's just....it hurts to even look at him, because it just isn't him. It's like someone switched out my mom's dog for a broken, animatronic puppet.

Sorry to hear this :(
It's so hard to see them in that state, but at least we are able to give them a comfortable goodbye.
My mother, husband and I just had to put to sleep a cat we all adopted together about 12 years ago, just last week. It is never easy.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
ToastFaceKillah, I'm sorry to hear about Sushi. It's always hard to say goodbye, even when it's the best thing to do.

We had to take Iggy to the vet last night. He's been acting weird in the litterbox. It looked, to us, like he was straining when he pooped and he just chills in there for forever with not a whole lot happening (peeing has been completely fine, though). He also started licking his rear end a bunch AND it was time for his yearly exam/vaccinations, so off to the vet.

Last year, he acted like such a freak show that they couldn't give him the Feline Leukemia vaccine. He got the rabies and distemper and then tried to maul/kill the vet, so they stopped with those two.

This time, he sat calmly in the waiting area for 20 minutes. No noises, no problems, just chill. As soon as we got to the hallway where the exam rooms are, the hissing started. By the time he was actually in a room it was hissing and growling. We told the tech about the last time we'd been there and she said she'd get the 'cat hat' (cone muzzle thing).

Cat hat didn't work. Vet could not even touch him. He was screaming like someone was boiling him in oil every time anyone got near him. He ended up cowering on the floor with murder in his eyes. Since she couldn't examine him OR give him shots, we ended up having her sedate him.

$75 for sedation + 2 hours + one extremely pissed off cat and the vet found absolutely nothing wrong with him. He even fear pooped himself while they were putting him in the box to sedate him so they were able to do a stool sample.

Fortunately, she was able to do the 3 year rabies vaccine so we don't have to go through this again until 2016.

I know it's completely irrational, but does anyone else get really embarrassed when your animal acts up in public? I know the vet understands that cats are not good travelers and that his behavior at the vet is not indicative of what he's normally like, but I always end up spending all my time trying to convince her that "no really, he is such a good boy, I swear, I have no idea why he's acting like this!" like maybe I beat him at home and it's my fault he hates the vet. :suicide:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
TFK, I'm so sorry. :( That's really hard.

I take my parent's dog Leroy in to the vet sometimes for them and am embarrassed every time. He used to be better but they moved out to the country and gave up on leash skills so he's hyper and excited and pulling everywhere. He also has no dog social skills because we never took him to play with other dogs growing up. :(

But I think the most embarrassing part is that he has some old-dog lung issues and he wheezes so loudly everywhere when he's excited. The front office staff have to turn up their phone volumes and stuff because he's just so loud. I know it's not his fault but :catstare: dog stop wheezing.

I feel bad about my part in making him such a screwed up dog. I was about 11 when we got him, so he's 12 now and still just a complete mess.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Nione posted:

I know it's completely irrational, but does anyone else get really embarrassed when your animal acts up in public?

Taking both of my dogs at once for their boosters is literally the most embarrassing thing, especially when I'm trying to pay. Lola does her best to behave for me, whilst Jess pulls and wheezes and coughs and even yodels to get attention, which upsets Lola more until it's all just a big ball of craziness and noise and I still have to pay the bill and :ughh:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Fraction posted:

Taking both of my dogs at once for their boosters is literally the most embarrassing thing, especially when I'm trying to pay. Lola does her best to behave for me, whilst Jess pulls and wheezes and coughs and even yodels to get attention, which upsets Lola more until it's all just a big ball of craziness and noise and I still have to pay the bill and :ughh:

I have never even attempted to take Psyche to the vet by myself. Yeah.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Feldman will try to get anyone and everyones attention when we go to the vet. He won't bark usually, but he'll play bow or wave his front paws in the air or smack someone on the leg with his paws. I don't think it even occurs to him that he's at the vet or something's gonna get stuck in him. :downs:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

At the vet's Bailey is well behaved until we're in the exam room (and he's occasionally over friendly with other dogs and the staff there). Once he's in the exam room, he tries to get me, the vet tech, or anyone else to help him escape and he will not settle down.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

When I first got Major he would spend the entire time at the vet trying to climb up into my arms, whining as loud as he possibly could, screaming at other dogs, giving the stink eye to other customers and trying to drag me out the door/claw open the exam room door. Usually he'd have a giant stress poo right on their lawn too. It was so embarrassing even though they knew he had issues and I was working on them.

On Monday at the vet he politely greeted a small dog on a flexi leash, sat for treats for all the vet techs, and laid quietly at my feet while I paid :smugdog:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Nione posted:

I know it's completely irrational, but does anyone else get really embarrassed when your animal acts up in public? I know the vet understands that cats are not good travelers and that his behavior at the vet is not indicative of what he's normally like, but I always end up spending all my time trying to convince her that "no really, he is such a good boy, I swear, I have no idea why he's acting like this!" like maybe I beat him at home and it's my fault he hates the vet. :suicide:

Yeah, but vets are pretty aware that they're often seeing pets at their worst due to pets being scared and/or ill. My ferret was given oral meds, and he hated them so much that he pooped on the tech. If you're not familiar with ferret poop, it is very fragrant and fairly sticky. I felt bad when I heard about it because he usually only poops on the rug, not people!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Feldman is such a little angel when he slee-

:staredog:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Feldman is kinda adorable. I love those little teefs. :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

McDragon posted:

Feldman is kinda adorable. I love those little teefs. :3:

He's the most adorable! :3:

:angel:

:catstare:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So I'm still living with my ex, but I moved downstairs to the guest bedroom, and the cats have been his responsibility for a while now. EVERY time he has cleaned the litter box instead of me for a while (whether I was away on a trip or now that I've moved downstairs), it gets disgusting and one or more of the cats pees outside the box. He claims to scoop it every day as I did and keep enough litter in there, but I'm not really buying it, and it's really frustrating...

The plan was for him to keep Breeze and Chaplin and for me to take Freya. We've been considering just leaving Freya with him as well because... well, why yank her from her cat buddies, plus it would make moving easier for me. I'd absolutely miss her (and the other two), but it might be the least stressful option for everyone. But now I'm wondering if I should still take her when I move out if he's going to be gross and not clean the litter box as well he should. I don't know, I'm just ranting. :saddowns:

edit: also yes I know it's "wrong" to have three cats and one litter box, but it's a huge box, and it's never been a problem... except when he's in charge of cleaning it

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Skizzles posted:

edit: also yes I know it's "wrong" to have three cats and one litter box, but it's a huge box, and it's never been a problem... except when he's in charge of cleaning it

It's not wrong if your cats are fine with it. Whatever works. It's just a litter box. :)

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Skizzles posted:

So I'm still living with my ex, but I moved downstairs to the guest bedroom, and the cats have been his responsibility for a while now. EVERY time he has cleaned the litter box instead of me for a while (whether I was away on a trip or now that I've moved downstairs), it gets disgusting and one or more of the cats pees outside the box. He claims to scoop it every day as I did and keep enough litter in there, but I'm not really buying it, and it's really frustrating...

The plan was for him to keep Breeze and Chaplin and for me to take Freya. We've been considering just leaving Freya with him as well because... well, why yank her from her cat buddies, plus it would make moving easier for me. I'd absolutely miss her (and the other two), but it might be the least stressful option for everyone. But now I'm wondering if I should still take her when I move out if he's going to be gross and not clean the litter box as well he should. I don't know, I'm just ranting. :saddowns:

Woah missed the part that he's an X again!
I'm sorry you're stuck. If I had a 2br place I'd totes let you and the Shaddurp stay with Diaz & the money-gliders and hell, bring All The Cats! :3 I owe you anyway for watching my little poo poo-flyers and driving up here n' stuffs. Where you considering going? Will you take any cats? Is there room to just..buy a second smaller litter box thats cleaned on alternate days so at least they have some other options? Pets are such amazing creatures when it comes to outing liars, except when they do something terrible and humiliating and new in front of EVERYONE.
Ugh I need to move out. Need my Diaz and gliders back most of all. :C

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Bash Ironfist posted:

Feldman will try to get anyone and everyones attention when we go to the vet. He won't bark usually, but he'll play bow or wave his front paws in the air or smack someone on the leg with his paws. I don't think it even occurs to him that he's at the vet or something's gonna get stuck in him. :downs:

Gary quite likes going to the vet, despite mostly needing to get a needle or have an operation or other equally unpleasant things. I think it's because everyone remembers him and he gets fussed over, and he's such a good patient, (he mostly just stands and looks sad if they need to do anything to him, or lays down for the orthopaedic examinations).

My cat, on the other hand, never fails to piss all over the vet and then hide underneath the cupboards.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

My old dog Sam would pretend to be human each time he went to the vet, in so much as while sitting in the waiting room in single chairs, he would take the seat next to me and sit in it patiently until his name was called. He'd also only behave for the blonde female doctor cause, y'know, blondes. :smugdog:

I miss that stupid dog.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I may have a new "nephew" soon - my sister got approved by an Aussie rescue, and is in the process of choosing a new pooch from their available males. Murphy is mildly same-sex aggressive, but gets along with boy dogs like a house on fire. So now it's just narrowing it down from the four they sent her profiles for and then having a play date to see how Murph likes the finalists.

I'm so excited!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ugh like a trillion rescue ladies friended me on facebook after I got griff and over the course of a month I think I've lost nearly all of them because my feed is now constantly inundated with the stupidest, weepy, psycho animal lady "no tethering ban springpoles ban treadmills ban euthanasia don't breed or buy while shelter pits die" bullshit and it has finally broken me. I have posted like 3 passive aggressive statuses making GBS threads on their arguments in the past day, and at first I was smug, but then I realized I was yelling at rescue ladies on facebook and now I am ashamed at what I have become. :saddowns:

Basically I'm glad PI exists. :glomp:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A yarn spinning magazine is running an article about Jacob sheep in an upcoming issue and are using pictures of my (highly photogenic) sheep! This is actually the second magazine using my spotty sheep pictures. They're going to get such huge egos that they'll be completely impossible to work with.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

Ugh like a trillion rescue ladies friended me on facebook after I got griff and over the course of a month I think I've lost nearly all of them because my feed is now constantly inundated with the stupidest, weepy, psycho animal lady "no tethering ban springpoles ban treadmills ban euthanasia don't breed or buy while shelter pits die" bullshit and it has finally broken me. I have posted like 3 passive aggressive statuses making GBS threads on their arguments in the past day, and at first I was smug, but then I realized I was yelling at rescue ladies on facebook and now I am ashamed at what I have become. :saddowns:

Basically I'm glad PI exists. :glomp:

I have very few PIers on my facebook. :colbert: You should add me.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

A yarn spinning magazine is running an article about Jacob sheep in an upcoming issue and are using pictures of my (highly photogenic) sheep! This is actually the second magazine using my spotty sheep pictures. They're going to get such huge egos that they'll be completely impossible to work with.

Tell them to hurry up with them spotty babies. :colbert:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

a life less posted:

I have very few PIers on my facebook. :colbert: You should add me.

Tell me who to search for and I will! :bigtran:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

Tell me who to search for and I will! :bigtran:

Check your PMs.

On the topic of random pet nonsense, here's a fatheaded Chi.

• Locked thread