Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Pixel People chat - do the GameCenter achievements work for anyone else? I've got a bunch of in-game achievements but none of the GC ones have completed.

Also - is there a list of which pages in the achievement list have which jobs on them? I've been stuck with one missing job on the "Mayor's Page" achievement for a week now and it's really starting to annoy me :argh: (It's the one in the bottom-right corner).

I'm surprised at myself that I'm actually enjoying Pixel People, as I really thought I was done with town-building timer "games". But here I am spending most of my time playing PP rather than NimbleQuest or Cook Serve Delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

Why do buildings take time to build in Sim City when they could just instantly appear? Having to wait for something actually makes it more exciting for the player when it is ready.

But in Tiny Tower, the waiting is the gameplay. I don't think there are any buildings in SimCity (4 and earlier) that take several hours to appear (and you can't do anything meaningful while you wait)(and you can pay real-world cash to speed it along).

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
The Borderlands clone has been pulled from the appstore, the devs say it was pulled for "various concerns" but then specifically mention Borderlands a couple of paragraphs later. From what I saw posted and on a video it wasn't a bad game, certainly better than the official pile of poo poo they produced for the franchise, maybe they should reach out to whoever owns the IP nowadays.

Nothing decent at all last night? There's usually at least one game someone says "Give this a try" etc.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I've kinda just been skimming this thread since it flipped back into shitbird mode so forgive me if this has come up, but has anyone posted any impressions of The Other Brothers yet? Particularly interested to know how the control feels.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Beelzebozo posted:

I've kinda just been skimming this thread since it flipped back into shitbird mode so forgive me if this has come up, but has anyone posted any impressions of The Other Brothers yet? Particularly interested to know how the control feels.

I haven't played but according to the TouchArcade thread the floating d-pad is really really awful. However, the devs have been very active in the thread and said they're pushing an update ASAP that adds some more options. The game looks really cool!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Max22 posted:

But in Tiny Tower, the waiting is the gameplay. I don't think there are any buildings in SimCity (4 and earlier) that take several hours to appear (and you can't do anything meaningful while you wait)(and you can pay real-world cash to speed it along).

I hate to even reply and keep these discussions going, but Tiny Tower is a mobile game you play for a minute or two once or twice a day which is very different than an appointment game like Sim City. This is why long wait times suit the design of the game.

Also you're incorrect about there being nothing else to do while a new floor is being constructed.

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 4, 2013

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Fazana posted:

Nothing decent at all last night? There's usually at least one game someone says "Give this a try" etc.

Badland is fantastic. Looks very beautiful, and controls well. It also has a same-device multiplayer mode with up to 4 players.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Fazana posted:

The Borderlands clone has been pulled from the appstore, the devs say it was pulled for "various concerns" but then specifically mention Borderlands a couple of paragraphs later. From what I saw posted and on a video it wasn't a bad game, certainly better than the official pile of poo poo they produced for the franchise, maybe they should reach out to whoever owns the IP nowadays.

That's too bad, I had looked at it a while ago and it seemed OK. In any case it didn't have any references to Borderlands in it, and I have to assume you can't trademark the "FPS with RPG mechanics" concept.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Stormfang1502 posted:

Haven't seen mention of this but there is a free version of Heroes & Castles out now if you've been on the fence about it. If your not aware of it, it is a 3rd person action/tower defense/RTS hybrid game where you play a hero defending the kings keep against and endless horde of undead, orcs, and goblins. To aid you, you can build walls, cannons, ballista, and more while summoning your own troops to fend off attacks.

No reason not to check it out now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heroes-and-castles-free/id618288607?mt=8
I'm a fan of Heroes & Castles, but I wish their iCloud sync worked properly for me. Initially it allowed me to transfer my progress from my iPod Touch to my iPad and back again, but recently it won't transfer from my iPad to my iPod Touch anymore so I'm stuck just playing it on the iPad.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

goferchan posted:

Hahaha that's awesome, I had no idea. Were you working at Infocom when the original was published, too?

No, I started at Activision in 1988. The (pre-Bobby) management didn't appreciate Infocom. I had hoped that Return to Zork (RTZ) would have revived the label, but in a very ironic twist, the entire game industry decided that cloning Myst was the thing to do. I left in 1994 partly over creative differences (I wanted to refine the RTZ UI, Planetfall was going to be the next app). Most of the RTZ team left as well.

Ironic, because I was the guy who pushed Activision to publish "The Manhole" in 1988, and I headed the CD-ROM effort on that. The RTZ game engine started as a ZIL-like interpreter with a bunch of graphics and OOP stuff (it was a tiny-Scheme) to port Manhole to DOS and a bunch of Japanese platforms (FM Towns, NEC 9801 etc.). Manhole was Cyan's first title. We lost them during the near death of the company (Chap. 11 in 1991).

As to LGOP2, the idea was to make an easy game with humor. Steve Meretzky did the writing, he being the game designer of Hitchhikers. So when the reviews panned it as being too easy, and because we really had no adult supervision, we filled RTZ with unfair mean puzzles. Yes, the bonding plant, the bra box, the cow, the stone tiles, the bog, the rats ... blame me for much of that. I built most of the game engine (MADE) and the UI for the game.

I was lucky to have know Kotick from the Amiga days (I co-founded Aegis) so I was the only senior guy to stay on during the move from Menlo Park to LA.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
There's an injustice: gods among us iOS game out now. It's apparently a fighting game with collectible card game mashed into it. I'm downloading now

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
So when you mess up in NimbleQuest (oops, wall!) and your down to one poor fighting guy ... is there a in game way of generating more coins so you can rebuild the team?

Thanks.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

VideoGameVet posted:

So when the reviews panned it as being too easy, and because we really had no adult supervision, we filled RTZ with unfair mean puzzles. Yes, the bonding plant, the bra box, the cow, the stone tiles, the bog, the rats ... blame me for much of that.
YOU BASTARD.

Haha, I definitely wouldn't play Return to Zork without a walkthrough nowadays because that drat bonding plant would gently caress you up later if you decide to cut it instead of dig it at the very first screen of the game.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
My main memory of computer gaming with my father is that sign with the vulture, then that hillbilly saying "Want some rye? Course 'ya do!"

As a criticism of that game, we never got much further than that.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Mozi posted:

My main memory of computer gaming with my father is that sign with the vulture, then that hillbilly saying "Want some rye? Course 'ya do!"

"Here's to us. Who's like us? drat few. AND THEY'RE ALL DEAD!"

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.

commander nojj posted:

There's an injustice: gods among us iOS game out now. It's apparently a fighting game with collectible card game mashed into it. I'm downloading now

It plays sort of like another Infinity Blade knockoff. The real draw is that it has unlockables for the console game and vice versa.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

YOU BASTARD.

Haha, I definitely wouldn't play Return to Zork without a walkthrough nowadays because that drat bonding plant would gently caress you up later if you decide to cut it instead of dig it at the very first screen of the game.

We actually named puzzles after reviewers who had panned LGOP2. The bonding plant wasn't even the meanest puzzle, I think the rats and the carrot-cow-milk are. The mine-car puzzle was a very difficult to thing to pull off. All of these video clips that had to match and had to be in memory. You had to listen to the Abbot and Costello rant by the dwarf miners to get out. Mean.

I still think the UI was great. Being able to ask any character about any photo (virtual camera), object, or something another character had said. The reverse parser. The conversation interface. If you can ever find a way of running the "Reel Magic" full MPEG version, you should. That was the best of them all.

When I was at GDC I attended a session on adventure games and it was nice that someone in the audience piped up about what we did back in 1993.

As to "Want some Rye?" .. that's Eddie Dombrower's cool idea. He was the producer (managed the artists etc.) and is best know as the author of Earl Weaver Baseball at EA.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It's weird that in that time period I see the biggest games as being that sort of thing and Riven, very obtuse and challenging games, whereas now the biggest games are as simple as they could possibly be. To be honest I would have liked to have been able to get farther in Zork, not being very good at that sort of thing, but at the same time remember more about what I couldn't get to than all the easy accomplishments since.

In any case, it really did suck to not be able to progress at all in Return to Zork, those puzzles were aggressively mean. Maybe not so much in comparison with adventure and RPG games of the same time, I suppose.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mozi posted:

It's weird that in that time period I see the biggest games as being that sort of thing and Riven, very obtuse and challenging games, whereas now the biggest games are as simple as they could possibly be. To be honest I would have liked to have been able to get farther in Zork, not being very good at that sort of thing, but at the same time remember more about what I couldn't get to than all the easy accomplishments since.

In any case, it really did suck to not be able to progress at all in Return to Zork, those puzzles were aggressively mean. Maybe not so much in comparison with adventure and RPG games of the same time, I suppose.

Yes. I think today, something light and easy in the vein of LGOP2 would do better than RTZ. There are lots of videos on YouTube from RTZ, so you can see all the puzzles and stuff you may have missed. I would like to do another adventure game one day, it's great to see stuff like Walking Dead succeeding on iOS. Monkey Island is my favorite game from that era.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

So when you mess up in NimbleQuest (oops, wall!) and your down to one poor fighting guy ... is there a in game way of generating more coins so you can rebuild the team?

Thanks.

You just pick up team members as you play, like any power up. You always start with one guy.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Emron posted:

You just pick up team members as you play, like any power up. You always start with one guy.
Alternatively, you can purchase / watch ads in exchange for tokens, and then spend those to add heroes to your team at the start of a round.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

Trane posted:

I could use a little push in Fairune. I've just picked up the water icon and opened up the passage, but I can't progress at all there with obstacles to both the north and south. I also don't seem to have any other open routes available, or have any equipment I haven't used yet to this point and am level 20. Any suggestions?

Bumping this post since my timing on it was piss-poor yesterday as it ended up in the middle of a debate. I'm still stuck at this point in Fairune and could use some help from someone who's completed it. Thanks in advance.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Beelzebozo posted:

Despite the floating D-Pad being a little bit lovely the game is really fun, challenging and pretty. Sounds like the devs are going to be fixing the d-pad too, since there have been enough complaints about it. It's definitely worth $.99.

Slayin came out last night and it's pretty fun. It's very similar to Spell Sword, but a bit more minimal. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id548580856?mt=8

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Despite the floating D-Pad being a little bit lovely the game is really fun, challenging and pretty. Sounds like the devs are going to be fixing the d-pad too, since there have been enough complaints about it. It's definitely worth $.99.

Slayin came out last night and it's pretty fun. It's very similar to Spell Sword, but a bit more minimal. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id548580856?mt=8

I came in to post about Slayin. I haven't gotten very far with it yet, but it's a fun little mindless....whatever-genre-you-want-to-call-it. You run around a single screen, jumping around and killing things and leveling up, occasionally buying stuff from a shopkeeper that appears, then fighting bosses every 10 level-ups. That doesn't sound very interesting, but the retro graphics and chiptunes really make it. I consider it 99 cents well-spent.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I was going to ask about that one. I love the way it looks, at least.

Anyone tried Trauma yet? Was curious till I watched a gameplay video of it and was immediately turned off.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

You can play this game for free here, http://www.pixellicker.com/games/games_slayin.html so you can see what it's all about if you're curious. I gave it a shot and ended up dropping the $1 for the iPhone version because it's a lot of fun!

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Never mind, I missed a whole page of NON IAP discussion. Sorry.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I really love paying money in-game in order to purchase virtual goods or services, and I hope game developers continue to provide me with games that are fundamentally timers that challenge my willingness to pay money to eliminate the very mechanic that the game is based on. There is nothing that excites me more than having to be connected to the game server in order to take any action, and I long for the day that I am charged automatically in order to stay abreast of the newest in timer-related mechanics. Also, social.

VVV Yeah, I like P&D in this way, but DoT is the worst. Can't move from one screen to another without confirmation, and for me that often means a "lost connection, please retry" whenever I want to do anything.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 4, 2013

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

A lot of "timer" games actually don't need an internet connection in order to work, which is nice. (Tiny Tower, Pocket Planes, Pixel People) Most of the games I play require an internet connection to work, which is fine until I get into the subway and realize I have nothing to preoccupy myself with.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Just unlocked the Wizard in Slayin. I figured each character would just feature different weapons, but the Wizard is actually very different: she can't jump but can turn into a tornado which kills enemies and temporarily renders her invincible. Plays quite differently than with the default Knight.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Well I just found my new poop game!

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
What do the red gems do in Slayin? Just used for purchases way later in the game or something?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Slayin is awesome for a game that feels like something that might be dumb and you might not like it...

Badland is rad in so many ways. Amazing art, really cool design. Sometimes (not always) it just feels.. not that fun. But, it's still pretty amazing.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I haven't seen anybody mention BADLAND yet... it's a really pretty side scroller where you control the flight of one or more adorably awkward fat fuzzy things through a LIMBO-esque silhouette landscape where pretty much everything either tries to kill or or does something peculiar to you.

It looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh7Y5UaoBoY

Edit: GOD drat IT

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

TACD posted:

I haven't seen anybody mention BADLAND yet... it's a really pretty side scroller where you control the flight of one or more adorably awkward fat fuzzy things through a LIMBO-esque silhouette landscape where pretty much everything either tries to kill or or does something to you.

It looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh7Y5UaoBoY

The guy before you just mentioned it. ;)

Anyhow I'm sold, buying that poo poo when I get home.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Badlands, The Other Brothers, and Slayin: A good week for iOS.

And none of them are free! Which is a weird thing to be excited about but ok.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
Oh hey there's a new Super Stickman Golf. It's kinda great. Multiplayer looks crazy.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

TACD posted:

I haven't seen anybody mention BADLAND yet... it's a really pretty side scroller where you control the flight of one or more adorably awkward fat fuzzy things through a LIMBO-esque silhouette landscape where pretty much everything either tries to kill or or does something peculiar to you.

It looks like this:

Edit: GOD drat IT

The thing I really love about this is how little there is to it. There's no score, no coins to collect, no reward for getting through with a dozen fuzzy dudes instead of just one. The only thing to it is the level design, and that means the level design has to be stellar to carry it. So far it is.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

LittleCat posted:

The thing I really love about this is how little there is to it. There's no score, no coins to collect, no reward for getting through with a dozen fuzzy dudes instead of just one. The only thing to it is the level design, and that means the level design has to be stellar to carry it. So far it is.

You're not 100% right about that. Each stage has like, your standard 3-Stars completion metric. It's just not immediately obvious unless you em quit and come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

LittleCat posted:

I noticed a counter in the main menu showing how many 'clones' you've saved, but I'm not sure how it works exactly yet.

• Locked thread