Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Xabi posted:

Man, he looks like a right twat.
The best part is when he's banging on the push like a 4 year old trying a piano for the very first time, then he just non-nonchalantly says "It's like instant jazz."

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Ugh, kinda informative but I can't stop watching the weird, stiff physics of his beard-thing.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Achievement Unlocked: Push

The pads are pretty stiff, a little stiffer than a Maschine. Its also heavier than expected- the build quality seems pretty burly. The knobs feel really smooth.

It also comes with a coupon for $30 off a Live 9 Standard upgrade, or $50 off the Suite.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

magiccarpet posted:

Achievement Unlocked: Push

The pads are pretty stiff, a little stiffer than a Maschine. Its also heavier than expected- the build quality seems pretty burly. The knobs feel really smooth.

It also comes with a coupon for $30 off a Live 9 Standard upgrade, or $50 off the Suite.

50$ off a Suite Upgrade? Hmm, if anyone has one they aren't going to use...:)

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Dudes with Push:

Post about Push.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Too busy touching Push. I seriously love this thing. What do you guys want to know about it?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Muck and Mire posted:

Dudes with Push:

Post about Push.

It's great. Getting used to the pads and scale mode and what not. Still trying to figure out how to remap for my live sets, but I got a Novation Nocturn just in case. Build quality is exceptional.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I know you've only had it a couple of days but is Ableton's marketing for real, in the sense that you can see yourself moving away from the mouse and keyboard and more to Push for writing and manipulating music in Live?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Lump Shaker posted:

50$ off a Suite Upgrade? Hmm, if anyone has one they aren't going to use...:)

I think its tied to your Ableton account when you register Push.

Its kind of a punch in the dick too because I bought a full license when it was released. They should have done a bundle instead.

The chord stuff is ridiculous. I should cancel piano lessons now. You just dial in whatever key and jam out "instant jazz."

With the inclusion of the new drum packs with Suite 9 I think its going to replace my Maschine very, very quickly. The workflow is super easy.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Muck and Mire posted:

I know you've only had it a couple of days but is Ableton's marketing for real, in the sense that you can see yourself moving away from the mouse and keyboard and more to Push for writing and manipulating music in Live?

Composing a song "the Push way" is essentially working with session view so if that's your thing, I think you can get quite far without touching a mouse and keyboard if you've prepared some flexible instrument/drum/fx racks beforehand. I usually use the session view to sketch out my ideas and I think that during this stage of composing a song I'll get to do at least some mouse-free Push-work before moving on to more detailed stuff in the arrangement view. This'll vary from song to song of course.

And yeah, while the step sequencer and other features were impressive, the note-mode really blew me away.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm loving Push so far, but I was surprised how hard you have to bang the pads to trigger a high velocity. It might just take some getting used to, but is there a way to adjust the pad sensitivity?

When step sequencing a drum rack, you can hold a note step pad and then nudge the note, adjust the note length and note velocity with the knobs. Is there a way to do that with non-drum instrument tracks (record a performance then go back and tweak the timing and velocities w/o using the mouse)?

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Splinter posted:

I'm loving Push so far, but I was surprised how hard you have to bang the pads to trigger a high velocity. It might just take some getting used to, but is there a way to adjust the pad sensitivity?

If you press and hold the user-button you can adjust the velocity curve and pad threshold.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Splinter posted:

Yeah, my fingertips are in pain.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

I think its tied to your Ableton account when you register Push.

Its kind of a punch in the dick too because I bought a full license when it was released. They should have done a bundle instead.

I wish they had at least given Suite owners $50 in store credit so I could buy a pack or a Suite 9 box and book or something.

I've only had a chance to play with my Push for a little over an hour, but I certainly love it so far. The pads are a little more stiff than I was expecting, but still enjoyable to play on. I find the -15 pad sensitivity to be great. It is just fun to use.

There are several downsides, though. It doesn't seem to be saving my settings such as pad sensitivity between sessions. They really should have used a graphical display instead of a character display. It is a pain in the rear end to scroll through the huge amount presets/instruments included with Suite when the display can't show the whole name. I'm sure a graphical display will be the big upgrade for Push 2, but I would have gladly paid an extra $50 or $100 for it to be in this version. Also, about half my pads have a red tint when they are supposed to be white, and the other half has a yellow tint. Neither tint is that bad, but I really would have preferred them all to be the same tint.

As far as using Push in place of a keyboard and mouse, it is a little to early to say whether or not I'll be able to do that. Push is great for coming up with new ideas and improvising, but I get the feeling I'll still be using the keyboard and mouse quite a bit for completing song structure, mixing, etc. It really seems more like a device for creativity than one meant for creating a song from beginning to end without having to use the computer.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

pyrotek posted:

Also, about half my pads have a red tint when they are supposed to be white, and the other half has a yellow tint. Neither tint is that bad, but I really would have preferred them all to be the same tint.

I have this issue too.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Muck and Mire posted:

Dudes with Push:

Post about Push.
It's like instant jazz.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

By design, its impossible to play a bad note. You can just smack it around and it sounds cool.

That being said, I think my swing knob is hosed as it keeps trying to dial in whenever I dive for around on the upper left most rotary knob. And also, my pads are also weird shades of white. I think this first series of builds is a little wonky.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Muck and Mire posted:

I think it depends on how you work. For me I've found I like push for coming up with drums, bass, and chord/pad instruments, but for complex melodies I still prefer singing them in then audio->MIDI (programming them to match the singing pre-Live 9) and tweaking w/ the mouse (I can't seem to figure out a way to nudge MIDI notes w/ Push that aren't part of a drum rack track).

In general I think Push is great for creating sketches or skeletons of songs, but for most songs I think there's a point where you'll want to spend time on sound design, sample editing, mixing and other 'polish' that inevitably will involve some mousing. Pretty much as advertised.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
Is there a way with the bush in browse mode to see the full name of the presets? Right now I am looking at a wall of text that says "Electrified Kit" over and over for pages.

Coming from a complete no talent hack with no musical background whatsoever, I have found that I have been able to figure out more and learn new stuff more on the push than by using a mouse and keyboard. With the live interface I am shown literally hundreds of buttons everywhere, many of which are obscure icons. On the push I see only what I am working with and its spelled out. I have learned a lot of new poo poo, and really like using it.

Also, has been said many times before the build quality is really nice. I have an M-Audio Oxygen 61, and the photos of it all look cool and poo poo, then I got it and it had that real light cheap plastic feel and I am always afraid my kids are going to snap the knobs off, its still cool though especially for the price. The push though actually is better in real life than it is in the photos.

So I am really getting this figured out, I just gotta keep messing with it and hopefully I'll be able to cook up something that sounds cool, got a new book on music theory coming, hopefully that helps.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Muck and Mire posted:

I can see a lot of my composition being done solely on the Push, but mixing and sound design are still a land of mice and faders as I see it.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Thanks for the reviews y'all. That makes sense, and it seems like it'll force you to separate sound design from sketching and beat making which really you should be doing anyway. When I say you I mean myself.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Muck and Mire posted:

For the actual composition, I think so, but unless you design all your sounds up front you'll probably have to go back and forth a bit when adding new things and tweaking them. It's not bad to add new presets from the Live instruments and effects though, so if you sketched everything out that way first and then went back through and modified the instrumentation that would probably work as well. Life has been keeping me a bit too busy to really start figuring out a composition workflow, but I imagine I'll be using it for most of my actual music writing and just going back to the mouse and keyboard for the other stuff, like others have said.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
The Push workflow really rewards/encourages good library maintenance, which was something I had started being more diligent about any way, saving all my patches for VSTs into instrument racks with a full compliment of macros, creating multi-sample "drum cells" with the sample selector as one of the macros, drum racks comprised of those drum cells, etc.

I started messing with some wonkier ways to use Push. You can make awesome glitch runs by adapting the technique from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ok3r450TMI and just automating the selector, transpose, filter, etc.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

j.peeba posted:

If you press and hold the user-button you can adjust the velocity curve and pad threshold.
Thanks for this BTW: This wasn't included in the manual that came w/ my Suite install. However, there's a newer version of the 9 manual available that has a bit more Push info, including velocity curve and pad threshold info. http://cdn2-downloads.ableton.com/manuals/901/user_manual_en.pdf

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
In a spur-of-the-moment decision, I decided to check out upgrade prices for Live. I've been using Live 6 since it came out, and never got around to moving forward. My studio buddy had 8 so I got to mess around with it enough to get a feel for the new stuff, but I couldn't really justify what I thought would be a couple hundred dollar upgrade.

Checking out the Ableton site surprised the hell out of me: only $150 for a 6 standard to 9 standard upgrade! Since my version was so old I figured I'd be lucky to get a $50 discount. I went with standard because I wasn't sure if I'd really use the additional stuff, but Max is looking cool the more I read into it.

Does anyone know if the $299 standard to suite upgrade is a time-limited thing? If not I'll probably defer it for a while, but I'm tempted to do it and don't want to pay much more.

Axer
Mar 16, 2013
I hate to get away from the push awesomeness, but does anyone have a good video on warping in Live for mixing songs together? I never got around to learning it and want to find the best way to do it, thanks

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Axer posted:

I hate to get away from the push awesomeness, but does anyone have a good video on warping in Live for mixing songs together? I never got around to learning it and want to find the best way to do it, thanks

Warping is an easy thing to Google, however, since Live gives you so many options and ways to do it I can understand the need for knowing which way is most ideal.

I figured out warping on my own by just tinkering around and reading snippets of the manual. Everything shown in the following video is basically my exact process and it works really well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsHnZUGl8yY

Warning: you will want to note the advice at around 9:30 where he says not to use Preserve: Transients mode when warping via beats. This introduces a whole shitload of latency and stuttering, I think because the algorithm can't really handle it all that well. It took me a long time to figure out this tweak. Maybe someone in the thread can elaborate more on why this happens (I know I'd be curious!)

edit: Setting to repitch mode also takes some work off the processor to help with latency that warping introduces and makes the tracks behave more like vinyl when sped up or slowed down. It makes it much harder to mix tracks in musical key, but I have always kind of liked that "live" sound of repitched music.

Siets fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 8, 2013

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Repitch mode is also super fun to use on breakbeats to jack them up while still keeping everything in time.

Ableton is so great. You can always do something 4 different ways.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Just when I thought I was out, Ableton pulls me back in.

I've been working on a project that makes heavy use of Live 8's warping and beat matching capabilities (just so much easier and instantly tighter than in Cubase), but now that I've gotten rid of my MPK49 in favor of a much more minimal keyboard controller, I'm really wishing I had some knobs for navigating Live.

QUESTIONS FOR PUSH PEOPLE:
  • Does Push allow for zooming and scrolling of the timeline with hardware knobs on the device?
  • If so, is this an out-of-the-box feature, or something you can enable with mapping/scripts?
  • If not, is there any way to map scroll and zoom to a typical MIDI rotary control? My keyboard controller has two assignable knobs that I would gladly devote to Zoom/Scroll if it were a viable option.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
I read somewhere else that the push cannot scroll or zoom the timeline out of the box. I imagine there will be some workardounds at some point.

I believe a lot of the scripting is done in python, so I assume there will be a lot of mods coming out and people getting creative. I really wish they would have published the scripts in an uncompiled commented state so that people could start getting creative, I don't know why companies don't support that sort of thing more. People are going to do it anyways, might as well make it easy up front.

As a testament to the useability of this thing, both of my kids (4 and 6 years old) were able to immediately understand and start jamming with the drum sequencer (they do have a bit of prior knowledge using ipad sequencers). The 6 year old is darth vader in my title on the left, unfortunately he moved on from darth vader a couple of years ago, otherwise I would have immediately posted a vader/push super ultimate jam out video. The 4 year old really gets lost though when he accidentally hits the loop selection on the lower right, he can't really figure that one out, I hit that accidentally about every 5 minutes too.

Oh yeah, the beats they make are really something. I was hungover on Sunday and spent half the day on the couch with a pillow jammed over each ear trying to block out the atrocious monstrosities they kept churning out.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Yeah, it definitely looks like Push is not the workflow fix I personally was looking for. And neither are the APC units from what I can glean from the manual.

I just found out about this Vitamin L thing (warning: site is megaslow) that was published before Live 8's release, which adds mouse scrollwheel support for both panning and zooming- but I don't know if it will work in Live 8 (and I'm afraid to try it out).

So I guess for now it's back to: ++++++++ tweak -------- scroll ++++++++ tweak --------....

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Push was definitely created as a way to get the laptop out of your face. A lot of people first see it and think beats, but once you start to play with it I can imagine Ableton created it as a way to play any melodic instrument in your library in a totally new way - the drum sequencing was probably created afterwards because, well gently caress, it has 64 pads why not? Even the transport controls are pretty bare.

There's no sample chopping- you'll never see a waveform. Even clip launching is kind of backburnered on the thing. Its a very strange product for them to put out, but it actually makes the software a hell of a lot more robust. This no longer feels like 'press play to make music.' If you want to chop samples you want a Maschine. Its very, very good at it. If I'm hacking a breakbeat its what I'm going to use. NI should give it up a bit and try to integrate their library/workflow in DAWs a bit more.

All that being said, the user mode on Push is a huge blank canvas right now. Someone will make a script to turn it into a Monome very soon (again, something I was at first surprised they didn't do) and who knows what the gently caress after that. The build quality is insane, the knobs are killer and the pads are incredibly accurate and adjustable. This will certainly be survivable in a live gig format and I suspect a bunch of people are going to stop carting around their keyboards. There's a reason this thing is backordered 16 weeks- the second you play with it you won't want to put it down.

Edit: When this first got announced I think we all said 'time to ditch the APC 40.' Considering the APC does clip launching, various volume controls and effects sends... these two devices really don't cannibalize each other as much as first thought.

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 9, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Is there anything like a Maschine that plays nice with live that isn't Push/1000 USD?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

magiccarpet posted:

Edit: When this first got announced I think we all said 'time to ditch the APC 40.' Considering the APC does clip launching, various volume controls and effects sends... these two devices really don't cannibalize each other as much as first thought.

Push has clip and scene launching!

Edit: Select "Session" next to note, the repeat options are scene launchers

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

dj bobby bieber posted:

Push has clip and scene launching!

Oh I know, but its not as prominent as one would expect. Or maybe as I would expect.

I'm going over some tutorials now and am finding session view to be a bit more versatile than I thought.

Also, hey look I found a Monome for Push already. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QP2Qa1MHX8

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 9, 2013

Axer
Mar 16, 2013

Siets posted:

Warping is an easy thing to Google, however, since Live gives you so many options and ways to do it I can understand the need for knowing which way is most ideal.

I figured out warping on my own by just tinkering around and reading snippets of the manual. Everything shown in the following video is basically my exact process and it works really well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsHnZUGl8yY

Warning: you will want to note the advice at around 9:30 where he says not to use Preserve: Transients mode when warping via beats. This introduces a whole shitload of latency and stuttering, I think because the algorithm can't really handle it all that well. It took me a long time to figure out this tweak. Maybe someone in the thread can elaborate more on why this happens (I know I'd be curious!)

edit: Setting to repitch mode also takes some work off the processor to help with latency that warping introduces and makes the tracks behave more like vinyl when sped up or slowed down. It makes it much harder to mix tracks in musical key, but I have always kind of liked that "live" sound of repitched music.

Awesome, thanks man, I was getting tons of stuff online from YouTube and just googling it, but thought I'd ask here to find the best stuff. Also, thanks for the tips!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I am the opposite of being in a rush to go and buy Push (or Live 9), even though the hardware looks cool, and reports from early adopter folks here are interesting and largely positive so far, but I am curious to know if I'm looking at the best price from Ableton's website.

When I log in and click "Buy Now", the best offer it shows me for upgrading from what I have today (Live 8 Suite with Max for Live) is to Live 9 Suite with Push for $748 USD. Are people finding better deals elsewhere direct from retailers that aren't upgrades (or are, but are cheaper somehow)? That would make no sense to me price-wise for Ableton to do, so I highly doubt it, but it seems like perhaps people have found ways to pay less, possibly in connection with retailer coupons?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Is there anything like a Maschine that plays nice with live that isn't Push/1000 USD?
Maschine Mikro? Or have you already ruled that out?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Not at all, but is that any different than a Maschine when it comes to interacting with Live?

e. To clarify, what I'd love is basically an MPC that you could drop samples into via a computer instead of menu driving and that can record drum sequences to midi for later editing, and that preferably
is capable of swing. I'm kind of getting the impression I'm describing a Maschine but I've heard from here and elsewhere that Maschines don't like Live.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Not at all, but is that any different than a Maschine when it comes to interacting with Live?
No, not in my experience. It's the same software, just a different box with different amounts of knobs and button layout (excepting the pads, of course). The Maschine software will just read it as the Mikro as opposed to the full-size Maschine and map things appropriately. There's a lot more modifier key stuff with the Mikro than with the full-size Maschine. I went "backwards" in that I bought a Mikro first when I bought Maschine, and then added a full-size later when I got a decent deal (just before NI came out with the full-size Maschine MK2), so I've had to adjust to having more dedicated buttons and knobs than just having one multi-function knob and a lot of modal interaction/modifier key-triggered options.

But, as far as Live is concerned, it's Maschine, period, regardless of the hardware.