Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The texture will be hosed most likely. Edible but it's just tilapia, I wouldn't bother trying to salvage it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, the texture will be totally screwed and it will most likely fall apart no matter how carefully you handle or cook it. If you want to salvage it somewhat, once it's thawed again I'd make this whitefish salad.

No, it's not traditional smoked whitefish, but it's probably the best you're going to get out of the tilapia.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I guess it'd be fit for some kind of seafood stew then? I don't think anything she had planned for the fish required it to be a solid piece either.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Tilapia is good for croquettes, you can just mash up the raw fillets and glue them back together in cake form with bread crumbs and egg. I like to use horseradish mustard in the binder.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

RazorBunny posted:

Tilapia is good for croquettes, you can just mash up the raw fillets and glue them back together in cake form with bread crumbs and egg. I like to use horseradish mustard in the binder.

Second that one. My mom makes them on occasion and drat they are good. She throws them in the processor for a quick shred vs. mashing them up but the end product is similar. Also she uses Panko bread crumbs and egg for her croquettes.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Saint Darwin posted:

My girlfriend bought a bag of individually frozen tilapia fillets and left it in the fridge for a few days; they consequently thawed. I threw them back into the freezer as soon as I noticed what horrible deed she wrought, will they still be good?

As long as the food hasn't been sitting around outside the fridge for an hour or two, it should be safe. If you have food that's defrosted and been brought back to room temperature, then you should never refreeze it because it could contain horrible bacteria and stuff:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/focus_on_freezing/#14

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
So its getting close to spring here up in the great north, and the cheeses are tasty. Looking foreward to rhubarb season for some hot brei and rhubarb sammitches. Does anyone know of some miracle fruit and cheese combos like that?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
In Tokyo I ate a dish that was a bowl of sushi rice covered by a tuna tartar, with an egg on top. Loved it, but I can't seem to find a recipe for it. Since o saw it at at
East two place I assume its somewhat typical. Anyone has a recipe and or the name ?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Captainsalami posted:

So its getting close to spring here up in the great north, and the cheeses are tasty. Looking foreward to rhubarb season for some hot brei and rhubarb sammitches. Does anyone know of some miracle fruit and cheese combos like that?

To hijack this, I'd love ideas for what to do with rhubarb, besides pie.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Spatule posted:

In Tokyo I ate a dish that was a bowl of sushi rice covered by a tuna tartar, with an egg on top. Loved it, but I can't seem to find a recipe for it. Since o saw it at at
East two place I assume its somewhat typical. Anyone has a recipe and or the name ?

Sounds like tekkadon. Cook rice top with tuna.

Saint Darwin posted:

My girlfriend bought a bag of individually frozen tilapia fillets and left it in the fridge for a few days; they consequently thawed. I threw them back into the freezer as soon as I noticed what horrible deed she wrought, will they still be good?

Ironically it probably would have been fine to cook as it was once thawed. You could always make some sort of fish ball with it.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 4, 2013

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Wash and eat raw. :colbert:

I've only ever seen it used in pie and pie-like things (jam, cobbler, etc). I like it over my morning oatmeal, make into a fruit reduction. I can imagine if you pureed it,, it would make some pretty good cocktail flavoring. I still will eat it raw, picked out of the ground in the backyard, occasionally dipping the end into sugar.

If you have access to Saskatoons they go really well together.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

I've got a pork tenderloin thats about 2" in diameter that I'm going to cook tonight. I plan on searing it in a skillet and finishing it in the oven, but I can't find my thermometer. About how long will it take to get to 150 in a 400 degree oven?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have some chicken leftover that had a pesto marinade. Would it taste horrible if I cubed it up for chicken casserole? Does cream sauce + cheese + leftover pesto flavor = nasty or decent?

Pizza Dude
Feb 22, 2011
What are some good things to cook with yogurt. I bought a lot of yogurt.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

divx posted:

I've got a pork tenderloin thats about 2" in diameter that I'm going to cook tonight. I plan on searing it in a skillet and finishing it in the oven, but I can't find my thermometer. About how long will it take to get to 150 in a 400 degree oven?

2" diameter is a pretty small tenderloin. You should just puddle it and sear it after. Put a dutch oven filled with very hot but not scalding and not boiling water in an oven set to 140F. Put the tenderloin in a ziploc with everything you want to flavor it with, some butter and sage would be nice, and put it in the dutch oven. Put the lid on and let it go in the oven for 3 hours. Remove from bag and sear off. You can use the drippings from the bag to make a pan sauce.

That or just cook it all on the stovetop, it won't take very long. Use the thumb and finger method to check for doneness (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8YQX-QgbXc) You should cook tenderloin conventionally to about medium.

Don't forget to rest the meat before cutting!

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

I have some chicken leftover that had a pesto marinade. Would it taste horrible if I cubed it up for chicken casserole? Does cream sauce + cheese + leftover pesto flavor = nasty or decent?

Nothing wrong with cream and pesto in my mind.
It's primarily basil, garlic, salt, oil and cheese. None of those things sound gross paired with a cream sauce to me.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sounds like tekkadon. Cook rice top with tuna.

Yup. Bear in mind that the Japanese will some times throw an egg on top of nearly anything.

Cobbler. A lot faster and easier then pie, no need to make a crust.

Pizza Dude posted:

Make tatziki and serve with Greek/Mediterranean food.
Marinate some chicken in yogurt and spices and grill.
Mango Lassis.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I like cobbler but I think crisps are even better, more of a texture contrast and they generally have more spices/flavor.

I have a problem, I impulse bought five pounds of pork shoulder blade steak and I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I live alone so preferably something that can be divided into smaller portions, maybe something to put in tortillas?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am back on the diet/exercise. I actually really enjoy chicken breasts anyway, so having them as my main source of protein doesn't bother me. Even less so now that I have discovered the joy that is chipotle paste. I just put 2 bigass cans of chipotles in adobo in the blender until it was smooth. It has the consistency of soft serve ice cream. I salt/pepper a split breast, toss it on the stove at med/high until both sides are nicely browned, then a add a dollop of chipotle onto each side of each breast, kick the burner to high and give both sides just long enough to brown the chipotle a little and then toss it on a warm plate in a warm oven to rest.

The whole process takes less than 15 minutes, and tastes absolutely awesome.

Now, my question. How fridge-stable would pure, blended chipotles be? I can obviously freeze a portion of it, but wanted to know how long it would last in the fridge, and if there was anything easy that I could do/add to increase its longevity.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Pizza Dude posted:

There's french yogurt cake (Gâteau au Yaourt), which isn't too bad and fairly simple. I like just eating it plain, but I bet it could work for cupcakes as well. I've put yogurt in mashed potatoes and it works fairly well. Also you can serve some alongside some curry, or even in some curry depending on the recipe. Kadhi Pakora (fritters in a gram flour and yogurt sauce) is the first one that comes to mind.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Pizza Dude posted:

If you like Indian Food then Naan Breads are made using yoghurt.

I also used to make a really easy pasta dish with yoghurt, until my girlfriend announced she didn't like prawns:

- Mix a cup of yoghurt with salt, a crushed clove of garlic, chopped fresh parsley, a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice and a couple of teaspoons of olive oil.
- Boil water and start cooking spaghetti. Chop up half a red bell pepper and some asparagus (the original recipe used peas instead, but I don't like them).
- About 2-3 minutes before the pasta is done, dump the pepper, asparagus/peas and a handful of prawns into the water to cook with it.
- Drain and dump the whole lot into the yoghurt mixture, mix it and serve immediately

Edit: I used Greek yoghurt for this, but I assume it would work with normal yoghust as well...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doom Rooster posted:

I am back on the diet/exercise. I actually really enjoy chicken breasts anyway, so having them as my main source of protein doesn't bother me. Even less so now that I have discovered the joy that is chipotle paste. I just put 2 bigass cans of chipotles in adobo in the blender until it was smooth. It has the consistency of soft serve ice cream. I salt/pepper a split breast, toss it on the stove at med/high until both sides are nicely browned, then a add a dollop of chipotle onto each side of each breast, kick the burner to high and give both sides just long enough to brown the chipotle a little and then toss it on a warm plate in a warm oven to rest.

Now, my question. How fridge-stable would pure, blended chipotles be? I can obviously freeze a portion of it, but wanted to know how long it would last in the fridge, and if there was anything easy that I could do/add to increase its longevity.

Ive put half used can contents from these in a small Tupperware in the fridge and used them for well over six weeks

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Doom Rooster posted:

The second ingredient after chipotle peppers is vinegar so I would imagine it could be stored in the fridge pretty much indefinitely.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Like the little tiny cans from Goya, or simmilar? Several times my wife has lost a half can in the back of the fridge, only to rediscover months later. We always toss them, but that's because the can gets all rusty, the peppers seem fine.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Wouldn't blending the peppers mean they spoil much faster? I was under the impression that grinding up food makes it spoil faster because a greater surface area is exposed to the air (hence minced beef going off much faster than a steak).

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Not when something is preserved by smoking and pickling. In an airtight container, chipotle in adobe keeps forever in the fridge, regardless of whether you grind it up or not.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

Wouldn't blending the peppers mean they spoil much faster? I was under the impression that grinding up food makes it spoil faster because a greater surface area is exposed to the air (hence minced beef going off much faster than a steak).

That applies to beef, but doesn't really apply to something that's basically submerged in a pickling solution.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
I'm going to try and make some refrigerator pickles tonight, which I've never done before.

I found a recipe online and it calls for 1 teaspoon of dill seed/jar. I don't have dill seed, but I do have fresh dill at home that I need to use up. Can I substitute? If not, I've got to go buy pickling salt anyway, but I'd like to get rid of this dill before it goes bad.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

This might be a dumb question, but why is there no beef bacon? Does the curing not translate? Or is it just corned beef?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

This might be a dumb question, but why is there no beef bacon? Does the curing not translate? Or is it just corned beef?

There is beef bacon.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Schmeichy posted:

Picked up a lamb shoulder for dirt cheap in an after-Easter sale. I'm planning on butchering it into steaks, stew meat, etc. Anyone have suggestions on dishes to make? I've only ever roasted lamb whole and made lamb chops before, and it's usually too expensive for me to make at home. Love lamb in Indian and Middle Eastern food, though.

I haven't cooked meat for a while but I seem to remember that shoulder was quite sinewy; I used to make stew with it, and tossed the bone in too for added flavour and goodness.

Slice it, and bake it in the oven at around 160C in a covered container with some chopped stem or crystallised ginger (optional) and a bit of sugar. You keep all the flavour (as opposed to stewing it), and it also retains some shape and the lovely pink colour. Be careful to not overcook. It's delicious on its own, as a topping for ice cream, or mixed with good, creamy yoghurt. Rhubarb and apple crumble is also a classic - I also add ginger to that, which really works.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I've had some pretty good beef bacon here, since pork is illegal. It's much better than the turkey crap.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lamb shoulder won't make very good steaks. You can stir fry, braise, and roast, though. It's great sliced thin and stir fried with some fish sauce and palm sugar, ginger, garlic, onions, thai bird peppers, mint, and thai basil,

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Crap, I meant leg. Skewered chunks for kebabs last night, cut stuff into chunks for future curry and stew, and was planning on cooking two steaks tonight. Is leg meat good for steaks? I saved the bone for stew, and removed the shank for braising.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

There is beef bacon.

Kiss me now, you fool.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Kiss me now, you fool.

pork belly bacon is way better.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

There is beef bacon.

I tried beef bacon in Malaysia. It wasn't very bacony.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
The halal market across the street from my old place had beef bacon, and I was always kind of curious but never tried it

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Lamb shoulder won't make very good steaks. You can stir fry, braise, and roast, though. It's great sliced thin and stir fried with some fish sauce and palm sugar, ginger, garlic, onions, thai bird peppers, mint, and thai basil,

Disagree. I cut shoulder steaks from my lambs and they're fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

therattle posted:

Slice it, and bake it in the oven at around 160C in a covered container with some chopped stem or crystallised ginger (optional) and a bit of sugar. You keep all the flavour (as opposed to stewing it), and it also retains some shape and the lovely pink colour. Be careful to not overcook. It's delicious on its own, as a topping for ice cream, or mixed with good, creamy yoghurt. Rhubarb and apple crumble is also a classic - I also add ginger to that, which really works.

That sounds amazing.