Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Fauxtool posted:

I was hunting wroggis with a goon. He laid down a shock trap and threw 2 tranqs at it right before it reached the trap. It was captured and the trap was still there on the ground. Can you capture without a trap or was that a graphics glitch?

Once I get the S version of an armor is there any reason to keep the old one around?

The trap is still on the ground when they are in it even when tranq'd. Because tranqs count as a status like poison, if they are tranquilized enough when they step on a trap they are automatically captured, which sounds like what you witnessed.

For the second question, apparently you can't upgrade low-rank armors to high-rank anymore with enough spheres and then HR mats, so unless it has super useful skills to outweigh the loss of defense (probably not), sell em.

Now a question from me: Are bows any better since MHFU? I remember really wanting to like them but them putting out such incredibly low damage compared to any other weapon in the game that they weren't viable.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Locke Dunnegan posted:

The trap is still on the ground when they are in it even when tranq'd. Because tranqs count as a status like poison, if they are tranquilized enough when they step on a trap they are automatically captured, which sounds like what you witnessed.

For the second question, apparently you can't upgrade low-rank armors to high-rank anymore with enough spheres and then HR mats, so unless it has super useful skills to outweigh the loss of defense (probably not), sell em.

Now a question from me: Are bows any better since MHFU? I remember really wanting to like them but them putting out such incredibly low damage compared to any other weapon in the game that they weren't viable.

I bring out the bow for certain very annoying monsters like diablos and plesioth. Being able to poison them 5 times in a fight makes them much easier.
The kelbi bow is pretty much broken good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone have any One Weird Old Tips to offer when it comes to using the switch axe?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
It should be noted that the Diablo X/Z armor is the best armor to go in just because of how it looks. You resemble a triceratops while you're beating the living poo poo out of other dinosaurs. It also has the combination of KO and tenderizer on the armor itself and enough empty slots to put in 10 points of Bombarder.

However I still can't figure out how to KO stuff with the lance easily. I keep trying to aim for the head but I think my shield bash goes right through.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

It should be noted that the Diablo X/Z armor is the best armor to go in just because of how it looks. You resemble a triceratops while you're beating the living poo poo out of other dinosaurs. It also has the combination of KO and tenderizer on the armor itself and enough empty slots to put in 10 points of Bombarder.

However I still can't figure out how to KO stuff with the lance easily. I keep trying to aim for the head but I think my shield bash goes right through.

The lance is probably the most impractical weapon to KO with out of all the weapons that are capable of it, maybe with the exception of the greatsword. The bash at the end of guard advance has a really wonky hitbox, and has a pretty big windup to actually get out. If you want to KO stuff, but still want cutting damage and/or a shield, I'd suggest giving S&S a try. It's shield bash is much faster, and hits twice to boot.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone have any One Weird Old Tips to offer when it comes to using the switch axe?

Running unseathed R + XA, spam X if you can afford the hits.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
More questions:

1) What's a good switch axe to go for after the Peco one?

2) Can you get stuff like Monster Bone+es in single-player?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

The two morph slashes are pretty useful to learn, because it lets you switch back and forth while attacking.

Axe -> Sword = Forward+X, then R. (Axe Stab attack thing)
Sword -> Axe = Forward+A, then R. (Side slash)

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Ciaphas posted:

Hit down on the left stick during the elemental burst (X+A in sword mode) to skip the windup and go straight to the explosion :eng101:. The windup actually does respectable damage, but it's handy in a pinch.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what does the kebab boo mask actually do? Judging by the description maybe it summons large monsters like picking up eggs does?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
How often do you use buff items like the demon drug?
I'm still in HR1, so there's obviously no real need for it, but I'd like to know when I should start farming these.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Admittedly I do things the dumb way, but I really didn't start with Demondrugs/Armorskin until around Moga/8-Star. Mega Demondrugs/Armorskin are too much of a pain to deal with. Not farming Gigginox for Extracts. :colbert:

Unrelated to the topic at hand, hit HR2 and man, I did that the long way. I forgot I'd equipped a Rustshard Greatsword I was polishing up. Don't ask how I ignored the massive god drat blade clipping through the Wroggi armor. But I trotted off into Lagia combat with a GS. Man. I'm bad with those under normal circumstances. Laggy did not want to leave the water. Took far longer than it should have.

Went to try farming up mats to upgrade my Dios Dual Swords after that. Realized I'd need to luck out and get a Brachy gem and made the Hammer instead. I have no willpower. So now I have two slime weapons to upgrade instead of one. ...Yay? Wondering why I decided I wanted to farm stuff off all the fast monsters. Him and Cuga, man...

Also got my first Jhen kill. Came pretty close, and he was hugging the boat a lot at the end. Managed to snap his second tusk off with cannonballs when he was crawling towards the ship, which was fun. I'm not really sure what to do in phase 2. I kinda just mess around on the ship until he's close, then I'll alternate between ballista/cannon until the ammo runs dry and going down to try breaking his hands.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Are narga tailspikes really only from a 10% chance to carve from his tail? I need 10 of the drat things to make the armour set and I haven't got a single tailspike yet.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Are narga tailspikes really only from a 10% chance to carve from his tail? I need 10 of the drat things to make the armour set and I haven't got a single tailspike yet.

The "Colorful Beasts" event quest has a chance to give you at least 2 tailspikes in the reward box

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SterlingSylver posted:

OK, I'm looking for some help with Offline Jhen. I emptied the dragonator into him twice, fired off 30 or so ballista shots into his face and broke a tusk, broke the spots on his back that you can break, broke both his claws, gonged him twice, bound him twice, and he destroyed my boat. What's a guy got to do to kill this fucker?

I killed him with the Ice Obliterator hammer. Use the cannon until it runs out of ammo. In the second stage make sure you save the dragonator, gong and ballista binder for that move where he rises up off of his feet and smashes the ship. He does it a ton and that's what wrecks your ship. Save the anti dragon bombs for putting in his mouth. You also need to makre sure you stop him from smashing the ship too much in the first stage. In previous games you could look at quest info to see how the ship was doing but not anymore, thanks capcom!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Fauxtool posted:

what does the kebab boo mask actually do? Judging by the description maybe it summons large monsters like picking up eggs does?

It lets you fish out large monsters with Cha-Cha or Kayamba like they were a frog.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
How does the Unscathed skill compare to Adrenaline+2? I'm looking at making a balls-to-the-wall greatsword set to work with one hit flinch timings.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I wrote down some of the stuff I had to look up.

Q. My weapon isn't doing elemental damage but the Wiki lists it?
A. Some special stats require the armor skill Awakening.

Q. How do I upgrade my boats?
A. Boat upgrades are rare trades with the Argosy captain.

Q. How do I get rare commodities?
A. Free hunt in Moga Woods. Captures give better rares, a Lagicarus gives a 5 star item.

Q. Where do I get...
Carpenter bug - Moga Woods, area 4 secret cat village can give it. Sunny plains is also good.
Pelagicite Ore - Flooded forest.
Dragonite Ore - Volcano.
Isisium - Tundra.
Lightcrystal - Volcano.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Fought a Gobul last night for the first time. Took me over 45 minutes to finally kill it. I managed to do it without getting knocked out but it was a close one.

Least fun fight so far.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 4, 2013

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having beaten a few Great Jaggi and bagged an Alzuros, i'm feeling pretty smug about this game. But I do have some questions:

Does the Moga Forecast apply to quests, or just free hunting? I don't always want to have an epic battle when picking berries, so if I can pick a low-level dumbass quest to ensure that two Great Jaggis don't come chasing me, i'll just do that.

Also, I see lots of decorations for armor and weapons improve certain skills, but I have no idea what "skills" are. Are they something my character has that improves over time? Where can I find them? I feel like I should know these things by now.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Any pro tips for Gunlance? I've done almost everything up to Fell the Lagiacrus (gently caress the Gigginoth in it's slimy leech rear end), and I love the X+A while holding R explosion that overheats your lance, but I can't seem to get a feel for its range/aoe. It's point blank, right? Sometimes Lagiacrus doesn't even flinch when I nail him in the face with it.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

chaosapiant posted:

Having beaten a few Great Jaggi and bagged an Alzuros, i'm feeling pretty smug about this game. But I do have some questions:

Does the Moga Forecast apply to quests, or just free hunting? I don't always want to have an epic battle when picking berries, so if I can pick a low-level dumbass quest to ensure that two Great Jaggis don't come chasing me, i'll just do that.

Also, I see lots of decorations for armor and weapons improve certain skills, but I have no idea what "skills" are. Are they something my character has that improves over time? Where can I find them? I feel like I should know these things by now.

The Moga Forecast only predicts what's coming up for Free Hunt. The quests will only have the monsters they say will be in there, although there's the odd gather quest with a SURPRISE monster marked by a big question mark on the quest screen. As for low level quests, give it a while and you won't have to worry about Great Jaggis, both because of you getting better at the game and because later weapons tend to chew right through 'em.

purple prime
Aug 4, 2005

Plank posted:

Any pro tips for Gunlance? I've done almost everything up to Fell the Lagiacrus (gently caress the Gigginoth in it's slimy leech rear end), and I love the X+A while holding R explosion that overheats your lance, but I can't seem to get a feel for its range/aoe. It's point blank, right? Sometimes Lagiacrus doesn't even flinch when I nail him in the face with it.

Let me preface this by saying I just started gunlance with this game.

Monsters don't always flinch on the wyvern fire. It is point blank range though. You'll know you hit by the fire coming off the side of the monsters body where you hit.

How you play is determined by the type of gunlance bullets you have. Normals are cool for doing up to the slam then shotgunning. Long is great for wyvern fire(I think it increases the range a bit). If you have long make sure to try a wyvern fire at every opportunity. Aside from that do a running poke, poke, poke, shoot, poke, poke shoot until you run out of bullets ending with the rising poke(X+A I think) and ending with a slam. The spread shell is better with charged shots so similar to long but hold R down when you're shooting.

I like to do a jumping reload at pretty much every open moment. Just evade then press A and you'll reload.

Also when I'm in the monsters feet and scared to do anything I just shield and do the angle pokes like I'm a lancer and put shells in its face. A link mentioned earlier says the angle poke is the best attack in the game. That might still need to be tested to see if its true though.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Is bow & arrow a viable choice for most of the game? Because I'm liking it so far (Although killing the great jaggi took some time) but it seems like getting upgrades for it is a pain. Where the hell do you even get jumbo bones?!?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

chaosapiant posted:

Skills are the things your armour gives you and you can equip with jewels made by the blacksmith or charms you find out in the field. Great Jaggi armour for example gives you +13 to Attack, which hits the +10 breakpoint and gives you Attack Up (S). If you then put in a +2 Attack jewel or equip a +2 attack charm then you'll hit the +15 breakpoint and get Attack Up (M). The skills only activate at the thresholds, so +8 points to Attack won't get you anything and -8 to Attack won't give you a negative.

You can see what skills an armour piece has at the blacksmithing screen (I think it's X?) and what skills you have active in the status screen from the - menu.

I use this to check what skills an armour has.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 4, 2013

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Anyone with a 3DS copy in the NYC Area, there's going to be a meet-up at the Nintendo World Store tomorrow night at 6pm! Since I'm sans-WiiU, I've been looking for a way to play with people outside my circle of friends, and grabbing a bunch of guild-cards! So, I dunno, come by? Last time I was there they were trying to plan this as a weekly event for the time being.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

purple prime posted:

Let me preface this by saying I just started gunlance with this game.

Monsters don't always flinch on the wyvern fire. It is point blank range though. You'll know you hit by the fire coming off the side of the monsters body where you hit.

How you play is determined by the type of gunlance bullets you have. Normals are cool for doing up to the slam then shotgunning. Long is great for wyvern fire(I think it increases the range a bit). If you have long make sure to try a wyvern fire at every opportunity. Aside from that do a running poke, poke, poke, shoot, poke, poke shoot until you run out of bullets ending with the rising poke(X+A I think) and ending with a slam. The spread shell is better with charged shots so similar to long but hold R down when you're shooting.

I like to do a jumping reload at pretty much every open moment. Just evade then press A and you'll reload.

Also when I'm in the monsters feet and scared to do anything I just shield and do the angle pokes like I'm a lancer and put shells in its face. A link mentioned earlier says the angle poke is the best attack in the game. That might still need to be tested to see if its true though.

As a newbie, I need someone to explain to me Lance versus Gunlance -- more specifically if there's a good reason to pick Lance over Gunlance. It seems like the Gunlance has a lot more damage potential with its shots and Wyvern Fire, and all Lance has that Gunlance doesn't is that running attack which I haven't found to be all that great. I've been playing a lot of Lance, and I like the sidehopping and shielding, so I get the gameplay style, but I'm eyeing Gunlance and wondering if there's a reason not to go that way instead since it seems more versatile. Does Lance have a stronger defense for some reason or any other significant advantage?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Lance evasion (especially with like evasion + 2 and evade distance) lets you apply more damage consistently because you aren't blocking/ staggering.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

As a newbie, I need someone to explain to me Lance versus Gunlance -- more specifically if there's a good reason to pick Lance over Gunlance. It seems like the Gunlance has a lot more damage potential with its shots and Wyvern Fire, and all Lance has that Gunlance doesn't is that running attack which I haven't found to be all that great. I've been playing a lot of Lance, and I like the sidehopping and shielding, so I get the gameplay style, but I'm eyeing Gunlance and wondering if there's a reason not to go that way instead since it seems more versatile. Does Lance have a stronger defense for some reason or any other significant advantage?

Lance has the ability to apply damage more rapidly with constant evading and canceling. The lance also has the ability to counterguard incoming attacks, something the gunlance can't do. The gunlance also lacks the lance's ability to charge and the ability to deal KO damage using the shield bash.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

avlein posted:

Lance has the ability to apply damage more rapidly with constant evading and canceling. The lance also has the ability to counterguard incoming attacks, something the gunlance can't do. The gunlance also lacks the lance's ability to charge and the ability to deal KO damage using the shield bash.

Oh, I should mention I'm playing the last gen (Freedom Unite). I don't think I get counterguard :smith:

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh, I should mention I'm playing the last gen (Freedom Unite). I don't think I get counterguard :smith:

Don't use gunlances.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

avlein posted:

Don't use gunlances.

Okay, problem solved then!

Maybe I should just break down and buy a drat 3DS.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009

Eruonen posted:

Fought a Gobul last night for the first time. Took me over 45 minutes to finally kill it. I managed to do it without getting knocked out but it was a close one.

Least fun fight so far.

I did the same thing last night. After spending 20 minutes chasing him around underwater and getting knocked out once, I abandoned the quest and looked up tips on the Wiki. He is so much easier to fight when you fish him out with frogs, the second attempt only took me 20 minutes.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Okay, problem solved then!

Maybe I should just break down and buy a drat 3DS.

I used Gunlances for a large portion of Unite (I didn't really touch the later HR stuff solo though) but I never really enjoyed using regular lances. I can't really think of anything wrong with them though, and I don't think any weapon is at a severe disadvantage.

Just test out the weapon and see how you like it the old fashioned way: Through murdering innocent Kut-Kus.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

A Miserable Robot posted:

I used Gunlances for a large portion of Unite (I didn't really touch the later HR stuff solo though) but I never really enjoyed using regular lances. I can't really think of anything wrong with them though, and I don't think any weapon is at a severe disadvantage.

Same, Gunlances carried my ragged rear end on more than a few occasions, espeically dual Tigrex (literally the hardest videogame thing I've ever done). I'll pick up Lance this weekend and see how it goes. Last night I fired up MHFU and realized I was right on the doorstep of G-Rank, it would be a shame to give up at this point.

I haven't even seen Fatalis :smith:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Are the harvest tour quests basically the fastest way to advance cycles? I need more tranq bombs drat it. :(

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Are the harvest tour quests basically the fastest way to advance cycles? I need more tranq bombs drat it. :(

Talk to Granny occasionally, she'll sell bomb casing. You can buy tranqs, so just do missions that reward the most zenny and throw in some nulberry farming

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 4, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does Granny sell ores? I tried for like an hour last night to farm machalite and pelagicite so I could make Alloy Armor (I want the fast sharpening skill because I'm trying switch axe and holy moly this thing dulls fast), and found like one of each. :argh:

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
I've just been making casings from sap plants and stones, occasionally subbing iron ore when I have much more than a stack. Am I going to seriously regret not hoarding iron?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

The Kelbi quest seem the easiest way, since you get the quest objectives as the quest reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

Ciaphas posted:

Does Granny sell ores? I tried for like an hour last night to farm machalite and pelagicite so I could make Alloy Armor (I want the fast sharpening skill because I'm trying switch axe and holy moly this thing dulls fast), and found like one of each. :argh:

Not that I've seen you'll have better luck hitting flooded forest underwater ores for pelagicite and sometimes malachite, volcano gathering can also get you some good ores. You can also try sending out the upgraded ships out to the treasure hunting spots, they sometimes come back with ore

• Locked thread