Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

wei posted:

I clicked on the thread on a whim yesterday, and today I have a fifth minus a couple ounces of WT101. Figured I'd start with something I always had trouble enjoying; I suppose it's mostly due to bad experiences with whisky cokes in my younger years. Made a bourbon sidecar (:ohdear:?), a whisky sour and an old-fashioned. Enjoyed all of them very much, though the sidecar was a little on the sweet side.

Anyway, thanks GWCC cocktails thread! Here's to more fun, tasty cocktail experiments.

WT101 is not a bad start, it makes a decent base for some tasty cocktails. Try some Weller Antique (107 proof) or some Fighting Cock (103 proof) next if you like the higher proof stuff for mixing (I do).

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Can anyone recommend some tea-infused drinks? Preferably using gin as the base.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I infused some gin not too long ago and came up with something:

Earl-y To Bed

1oz tea-infused gin
1oz cognac
1oz meyer lemon juice (You could substitute regular lemon juice, just add a splash of simple syrup too)
.5oz elderflower liqueur
dash meyer lemon bitters (or another citrus bitter)
Shake/coupe

Tea and cognac go really well together, so if you are looking to play around, it's a good place to start.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
I started reading this thread a couple weeks ago, and over the span of the first three pages went from being mildly interested in learning how to make good cocktails to ordering a bunch of drink-making equipment off of Amazon, so thanks, I think? I have a question about simple syrup, though, rich simple syrup in particular. The easy answer I'm sure will be to do it according to your taste, but if I were making say, a gimlet, and was using rich simple syrup and fresh lime juice rather than Rose's, what proportions should I use to prevent it from being sickeningly sweet? Do most recipes that call for simple assume that you'll be using a syrup with a 1:1 mix of sugar to water?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Simple Syrup is a 1:1 ratio of sugar:water. Rich simple syrup is a 2:1 ratio of sugar:water.

e: IMO, a Gimlet is made specifically with Rose's. I call one made with fresh lime and simple a California Gimlet

California Gimlet
2 oz gin
3/4 lime juice
1oz simple syrup
lime wheel garnish

Klauser fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 4, 2013

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Fair enough-- I had wanted to avoid Rose's because I'd read on some blog somewhere that they had been bought out and had changed Rose's Lime Juice into something that was much more processed than it used to be.

My real question, though, was that if I'm using rich simple syrup in a recipe that just calls for simple syrup, should I just halve the amount that I put in?

SoulTaco
Apr 8, 2003
I don't know if this is the right place but it seems related. This might have an effect on the more obscure rums.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/885028

quote:

Caribbean Rum Under Attack

On January 1st, our dear Congress passed legislation avoiding the "fiscal cliff". But one "add-on" to the bill gives a huge gift to two mega-distilling conglomerates - Bacardi and Diageo - in the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

The effects of this are immediate and threaten the continued existence and availbility of Caribbean rum! Here's how:

1. The USVI and Puerto Rico receive nearly a billion dollars in subsidies, much of which is simply passed along to the mega-distillers.

2. The US also gave Diageo $2.7 Billion - yes billions - to move and build a huge distillery in the USVI

3. The new fiscal cliff law also imposes a huge penalty - $13.50 per gallon - for all other Caribbean rum.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/us-rum-binge-giving-caribbean-distillers-headache-990935

quote:

KINGSTON, Jamaica -- Rum, the sugar-based liquor that has fueled the development of the Caribbean for centuries, has become the focus of an increasingly bitter dispute with the U.S.

Small producers in countries such as Antigua, Guyana and Jamaica complain they are being punched by unfair trade and marketing advantages for global beverage corporations operating in U.S. territories, and say U.S. rum subsidies threaten to drive some beloved top-shelf Caribbean labels out of business, or force them to sell out.

"The amounts that are being doled out now are staggering," said Frank Ward, chairman of the West Indies Rum & Spirits Producers' Association. "We were able to live with the level of U.S. subsidies as they once were. But the massive increases, we believe, have skewed the market."

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

bakersfield chimp posted:

Fair enough-- I had wanted to avoid Rose's because I'd read on some blog somewhere that they had been bought out and had changed Rose's Lime Juice into something that was much more processed than it used to be.

My real question, though, was that if I'm using rich simple syrup in a recipe that just calls for simple syrup, should I just halve the amount that I put in?

In general, yes, because it's twice as sweet. That said, always taste the cocktail as you make it and adjust as necessary, because each lemon/lime will have a slightly different acidity and you might prefer your drinks a little bit sweeter or sourer than the recipe writer.

Edit: Also, a fresh gimlet may or may not be a traditional gimlet, but I think it kicks the poo poo out of one with Rose's.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

SoulTaco posted:

I don't know if this is the right place but it seems related. This might have an effect on the more obscure rums.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/885028

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/us-rum-binge-giving-caribbean-distillers-headache-990935

What the hell? gently caress you america

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
2.7 billion, with a b, to diageo, for a distillery. Goddamn. Reminds me that I should take a trip down there to drink rum.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Good thing I'm not a big rum drinker. I've been away from the thread for a while so here are just a few things I wanted to add.

Plymouth Gin is amazing. Definitely my gin of choice, though I dislike the new bottle. Bluecoat is second only because I live in Philly. Which leads to my next point...

Most bars in Philly won't give you a good cocktail. I worked at the standard tap for a year and a half and no one there knew how to make a single drink (I remember asking 5 people how to make a sex on the beach, she got a G&T instead). They put soda in everything as well which was annoying. I also worked at Fork, which is an example of a good restaurant with an invested interest in a cocktail program. My friend has barteneded there for 11-12 years and is still having fun doing it. If he's in a good mood he'll help you figure out a good drink for you. If he's in a bad mood, just ask because he really does enjoy cocktailing.

Someone mentioned hotels being great whenever they've travelled. I imagine this is because they meet lots of different people who have different ideas of taste and what a drink should be. I had a few decent drinks at this place in Philly but the name escapes me. It's around jewlers row, but I can't remember the name or do an appropriate google search to find it.

Finally, the pretentious places. I love them. I know I'm going to get a good drink. The bartenders are consistent (most important thing to me), and the wait staff are usually just as enthusiastic about everything as you are. It may seem corny to some people, but I think it's how it should be done sometimes. It just looks weird when everyone else in the business is super casual and doing a bad job at making drinks. My pretentious places in Philly are Franklin Mortgage Investment Co. and the Ranstead Room. I think they're great.

Oh and Stateside is becoming a pretty good place to get a well made cocktail. Super small and tight there though, which is just how it should be.

And I was thinking about compiling all our recipes into one document. Anyone else think this is a good idea? We could put it in the OP or something for reference.

e; COOPERAGE is the name of the place I forgot. It's not bad from what I remember. Seems like an industry hangout, and not very busy.

Booties fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 5, 2013

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Philly is a tough town, with the pclb and the licensing situation in the city proper being very restrictive, and the market for "pretentious" cocktails being both pretty tight and very well served (bad pun, but I do rep the crew at Franklin, what up). I have sometimes fantasizes about moving back there because I can get a house off Clark park for the price of a studio condo in BK, but there is no market for beverage oriented hospitality professionals. But do check out Emanuelle, I need to go and catch up with those guys and try their new mad science steez.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Klauser posted:

Simple Syrup is a 1:1 ratio of sugar:water. Rich simple syrup is a 2:1 ratio of sugar:water.

e: IMO, a Gimlet is made specifically with Rose's. I call one made with fresh lime and simple a California Gimlet

California Gimlet
2 oz gin
3/4 lime juice
1oz simple syrup
lime wheel garnish

SubG refuted the idea that a Gimlet must contain Rose's in a chat thread from like 3 years ago.

Scythe posted:

In general, yes, because it's twice as sweet. That said, always taste the cocktail as you make it and adjust as necessary, because each lemon/lime will have a slightly different acidity and you might prefer your drinks a little bit sweeter or sourer than the recipe writer.

2:1 simple syrup is actually 1.5 times sweeter than 1:1 by volume. 1 tsp of 2:1 contains 1 tsp of sugar, whereas 1 tsp of 1:1 contains 2/3 tsp sugar. When you mix equal parts sugar and water by volume, the resulting volume of the syrup is roughly 1.5 times the original volume of the sugar. When you mix 2 parts sugar to 1 part water, the resulting syrup is roughly equal to the original volume of the sugar.

All of which is to say, if a recipe calls for a volume of table sugar, you can use an equal volume of 2:1 syrup. If it calls for "syrup" or "simple," it means 1:1, so dock the amount of syrup you use by 1/3 (it's easier to do this if you remember that .5 oz=1 Tbsp=3 tsp). Or, as Scythe correctly asserted, taste and adjust.

Finally, as for proportions to use in a Gimlet, I'd try out 2 oz. gin, 3/4 oz. lime juice, and 1 or 2 tsp of rich simple. Start with 1, give it a taste, and then scale up.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Vegetable Melange posted:

Philly is a tough town, with the pclb and the licensing situation in the city proper being very restrictive, and the market for "pretentious" cocktails being both pretty tight and very well served (bad pun, but I do rep the crew at Franklin, what up). I have sometimes fantasizes about moving back there because I can get a house off Clark park for the price of a studio condo in BK, but there is no market for beverage oriented hospitality professionals. But do check out Emanuelle, I need to go and catch up with those guys and try their new mad science steez.

Hey man, college kids will buy anything. Move back to philly, buy a house on Baltimore avenue, and we'll open a trendy cocktail lounge like PDT. Make them feel like it's NYC.

I'm starting at Stateside tonight. Just hosting and food running part time because I need some cash while I look for an engineering job. I can't wait to try all the fancy bourbon.

Booties fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 5, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Is it just me, or do most rum drinks include lots of fruit and fruit juices? I've never been much of a rum drinker, but I'm thinking I might like to give it a shot. I just don't know where to start, because three ingredients is generally the limit of my abilities.

VVVV I've been playing a lot of "Tropico 4" lately, so the El Presidente sounds like a must-drink. :tipshat:

prefect fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 9, 2013

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
It's not just you.

I think you'll find a few more aged rum cocktails without citrus, but I found a couple I have made with light rum.

Bolero - 1.5oz rum, .75oz Applejack, .25oz sweet vermouth. Stir/coupe/lemon peel.
El Presidente - 1.5oz rum, 1.5oz dry vermouth, .5oz orange liqueur, .25oz grenadine. Stir/coupe/orange peel.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I recently developed a drink of which I am extremely proud. My roommates have been calling it "Mint Soap," but it's not necessary that it be referred to as such.

Mint Soap

1 oz. white Cuban-style rum (I use Flor de Cana Extra Dry)
1 oz. gold Barbados rum (Plantation Barbados 5 Year Grande Reserve)
1 oz. lime juice
1 oz. pineapple juice (fresh-squeezed ideal, though a can would probably work)
1/2 oz. 1:1 simple
10-12 mint leaves
2-3 oz. soda water

Put your mint in your shaker, pour the syrup on top, and muddle a bit. Add your rums and juices, a bunch of ice, and then shake the hell out of it. Double strain (with a hawthorne strainer and also a mini conical strainer) into an 8 oz. glass, and top with the soda water.

It's insanely refreshing, while remaining complex and tasty. It also uses pretty much all of my favorite thing, a fact of which I am very proud.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So I accidentally bought Cynar when I meant to buy Maraschino. Can anyone (Krauser) recommend any good cocktails that use Cynar? Ideally with Gin as well?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
For anyone in Ontario wanting advice on a top-notch silver tequila for their (price controlled) buck, I'm gonna recommend Jose Cuervo Tradicional Silver.
It's 100% agave, and literally, no joke- it's as smooth as water. And it's price: $36.60 for a fifth, makes it one of the cheapest too.
Only other 100% agave silvers under $40 are El Jimador and 1800. Neither of which hold a candle to this stuff.

Good for margaritas, palomas, lime & cokes, sunrises, teqtonics, chilled - you name it. Just don't confuse it with Especial; their mixto offering.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 10, 2013

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Don't ever drink mixto tequila. There's half a handle of cuervo especial sitting on my dining room table that's been there since November. And will continue to be until someone throws it out or I mix it into a punch out of spite and just to prove I can make it decent.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Mister Macys posted:

For anyone in Ontario wanting advice on a top-notch silver tequila for their (price controlled) buck, I'm gonna recommend Jose Cuervo Tradicional Silver.
It's 100% agave, and literally, no joke- it's as smooth as water. And it's price: $36.60 for a fifth, makes it one of the cheapest too.
Only other 100% agave silvers under $40 are El Jimador and 1800. Neither of which hold a candle to this stuff.

Good for margaritas, palomas, lime & cokes, sunrises, teqtonics, chilled - you name it. Just don't confuse it with Especial; their mixto offering.

Beautiful. Gonna snag a bottle for my boss.

Also in Ontario booze recommendations I can't suggest 6/ Gilead distillery enough. Most of their stuff is amazing. Their loyalist gin is really smooth. I like their shonchu too. Just need to figure out a cocktail for it

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Edit: Instead of a double post, the name of the songchu is White Dragon

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 10, 2013

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So I accidentally bought Cynar when I meant to buy Maraschino. Can anyone (Krauser) recommend any good cocktails that use Cynar? Ideally with Gin as well?

Cynar is amazing, one of my favorite bottles. It brings a vegetal funky bitterness that really can't be duplicated. It goes in one of my favorite drinks:

Bitter Giuseppe

2 oz Cynar
3/4 oz sweet vermouth
2 dashes orange bitters
Stir/old fashioned/lemon peel

As this is a bottle that is never not on my bar, I've made more than a handful:

Shea LaReece - 1.25oz gin, .5oz ginger liqueur, .5oz Cynar, .5oz Lillet, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Stir/rosewater rinse coupe/flamed orange peel
Too Soon? - 1oz gin, 1oz Cynar, .75oz lemon juice, .5oz simple syrup, 2 orange wedge. Shake/coupe.
Black Lodge - 1.5oz rye, .5oz Cynar, .5oz cherry liqueur, .5oz sweet vermouth, dash orange bitters. Stir/iced double old fashioned/orange peel
Fitty - 1.25oz gin, .5oz ginger liqueur, .5oz dry vermouth, .5oz Cynar. Stir/coupe.
Smoking Jacket - 1.5oz blended scotch, .75oz Cynar, .75oz sweet vermouth, dash orange bitters. Stir/iced double old fashioned
Lady Sniper - 1oz each blanco tequila, Cynar, Yellow Chartreuse. Stir/coupe/lemon peel.
Valkyrie - 2oz rye, .5oz amaro, .5oz Cynar, .25oz elderflower liqueur. Stir/rocks/discard grapefruit twist.
Creeping Death - .75oz each gin, orange liqueur, Cynar, lemon juice. Shake/absinthe rinsed coupe.
Little Italy - 2oz rye, .75 oz sweet vermouth, .5oz Cynar. Stir/coupe/cherry garnish.
Tenderoni - 1oz each Cynar, dry vermouth, aged rum, 2 dashes orange bitters. Stir/coupe/orange peel.
Autumn Evening - 1oz bourbon, .75oz Cynar, 1oz ginger liqueur, 3 dashes orange bitters. Stir/coupe.
The French Intervention - 2oz tequila, .5oz Cynar, .5oz elderflower liqueur, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Stir/coupe/lemon peel
Cin Cyn - 1oz each Gin, Cynar, & Sweet Vermouth, 2dashes orange bitters. Stir/Coupe/Orange peel.
Art of Choke - 1oz rum, 1oz Cynar, .125oz lime, .125oz demerara syrup, .25oz Green Chartreuse, ~3 mint leaves. Muddle/stir/iced rocks/sprig
Ce Soir - 1.5oz cognac, .75oz Cynar, .5oz Yellow Chartreuse, 1dash orange bitters, 1dash Angostura bitters. Stir/coupe/lemon peel.
The Grand Street - 2oz gin, .5oz sweet vermouth, .25oz Cynar, .25oz maraschino liqueur. Stir/coupe.
Doff Your Hat - 1oz Genever, .75oz sweet vermouth, .75oz Cynar, .5oz orange liqueur, 1dash orange bitters. Stir/old fashioned/orange peel
Bitterly Twisted - 1.5oz bourbon, .5oz Cynar, 1.5oz grapefruit juice, 2 dashes orange bitters. Shake/coupe/grapefruit twist garnish

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I can't remember, Klauser, is this your own database of drinks that you always pull recipes from or is it something the rest of us can access too?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
It's my twitter feed. Every time I make a drink for the first time, I tweet the recipe. I really just use it as a database for myself, but if anyone else wants to check it out, they can. I try to make something new at least 2-3 times a week, and I've been tweeting the recipes for about 3 years now, so it's grown to quite a collection.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Klauser posted:

It's my twitter feed. Every time I make a drink for the first time, I tweet the recipe. I really just use it as a database for myself, but if anyone else wants to check it out, they can. I try to make something new at least 2-3 times a week, and I've been tweeting the recipes for about 3 years now, so it's grown to quite a collection.

That's a really great way to keep track. I'm old fashioned and use a little moleskine for my cocktails, which although quaint (and familiar since it's essentially a home lab note book), is impossible to search easily.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

The Hebug posted:

That's a really great way to keep track. I'm old fashioned and use a little moleskine for my cocktails, which although quaint (and familiar since it's essentially a home lab note book), is impossible to search easily.

Yeah, I got myself one of those moleskine notebooks too, with grand ideas of filling it with every recipe I've ever stumbled across, but there's got to be a better (electronic) way as far as searching for/by ingredients and things. Does anyone have any cocktail apps they use that aren't complete crap? The couple I've looked at seem jammed with a billion dumb things that I don't want/need and have classic recipes that vary from differences because of region, to just flat out wrong.

Alternatively, maybe with a little work and some help from the app request thread, we could pool together our knowledge and see if we could get our own app made up. A database of drinks that is editable for our own personal preferences to how we like certain drinks, and searchable by names/base spirit/secondary ingredients.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Klauser posted:

Cynar is amazing, one of my favorite bottles. It brings a vegetal funky bitterness that really can't be duplicated. It goes in one of my favorite drinks:

Bitter Giuseppe

2 oz Cynar
3/4 oz sweet vermouth
2 dashes orange bitters
Stir/old fashioned/lemon peel

As this is a bottle that is never not on my bar, I've made more than a handful:

Shea LaReece - 1.25oz gin, .5oz ginger liqueur, .5oz Cynar, .5oz Lillet, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Stir/rosewater rinse coupe/flamed orange peel
Too Soon? - 1oz gin, 1oz Cynar, .75oz lemon juice, .5oz simple syrup, 2 orange wedge. Shake/coupe.
Black Lodge - 1.5oz rye, .5oz Cynar, .5oz cherry liqueur, .5oz sweet vermouth, dash orange bitters. Stir/iced double old fashioned/orange peel
Fitty - 1.25oz gin, .5oz ginger liqueur, .5oz dry vermouth, .5oz Cynar. Stir/coupe.
Smoking Jacket - 1.5oz blended scotch, .75oz Cynar, .75oz sweet vermouth, dash orange bitters. Stir/iced double old fashioned
Lady Sniper - 1oz each blanco tequila, Cynar, Yellow Chartreuse. Stir/coupe/lemon peel.
Valkyrie - 2oz rye, .5oz amaro, .5oz Cynar, .25oz elderflower liqueur. Stir/rocks/discard grapefruit twist.
Creeping Death - .75oz each gin, orange liqueur, Cynar, lemon juice. Shake/absinthe rinsed coupe.
Little Italy - 2oz rye, .75 oz sweet vermouth, .5oz Cynar. Stir/coupe/cherry garnish.
Tenderoni - 1oz each Cynar, dry vermouth, aged rum, 2 dashes orange bitters. Stir/coupe/orange peel.
Autumn Evening - 1oz bourbon, .75oz Cynar, 1oz ginger liqueur, 3 dashes orange bitters. Stir/coupe.
The French Intervention - 2oz tequila, .5oz Cynar, .5oz elderflower liqueur, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Stir/coupe/lemon peel
Cin Cyn - 1oz each Gin, Cynar, & Sweet Vermouth, 2dashes orange bitters. Stir/Coupe/Orange peel.
Art of Choke - 1oz rum, 1oz Cynar, .125oz lime, .125oz demerara syrup, .25oz Green Chartreuse, ~3 mint leaves. Muddle/stir/iced rocks/sprig
Ce Soir - 1.5oz cognac, .75oz Cynar, .5oz Yellow Chartreuse, 1dash orange bitters, 1dash Angostura bitters. Stir/coupe/lemon peel.
The Grand Street - 2oz gin, .5oz sweet vermouth, .25oz Cynar, .25oz maraschino liqueur. Stir/coupe.
Doff Your Hat - 1oz Genever, .75oz sweet vermouth, .75oz Cynar, .5oz orange liqueur, 1dash orange bitters. Stir/old fashioned/orange peel
Bitterly Twisted - 1.5oz bourbon, .5oz Cynar, 1.5oz grapefruit juice, 2 dashes orange bitters. Shake/coupe/grapefruit twist garnish

Tip o' the cap to you. I also read about the Cynar Flip and want to try that. 2.5oz Cynar, 1oz simple, 1 whole egg. Shaken like the dickens.

Random question: whats the rule of thumb on shelf life for homemade simple syrup? Refrigerated obviously. Can it be extended with some sort of preservative?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Tip o' the cap to you. I also read about the Cynar Flip and want to try that. 2.5oz Cynar, 1oz simple, 1 whole egg. Shaken like the dickens.

Random question: whats the rule of thumb on shelf life for homemade simple syrup? Refrigerated obviously. Can it be extended with some sort of preservative?

I usually add 0.5-1 oz of vodka to it, that keeps it good for ages.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

nrr posted:

Yeah, I got myself one of those moleskine notebooks too, with grand ideas of filling it with every recipe I've ever stumbled across, but there's got to be a better (electronic) way as far as searching for/by ingredients and things. Does anyone have any cocktail apps they use that aren't complete crap? The couple I've looked at seem jammed with a billion dumb things that I don't want/need and have classic recipes that vary from differences because of region, to just flat out wrong.

Alternatively, maybe with a little work and some help from the app request thread, we could pool together our knowledge and see if we could get our own app made up. A database of drinks that is editable for our own personal preferences to how we like certain drinks, and searchable by names/base spirit/secondary ingredients.

I used to try and use an app and input recipes, but abandoned that a while ago as my bar cabinet started to include less common ingredients and I wanted to keep track of using different brands/etc. The only cocktail app that I've found worth it is Bartender's Choice. It was put together with help from the people behind the famous bar in NY, Milk & Honey. It's great when I need inspiration for what to make and works well in that regard. A lot of well-curated classic drinks, recipes, a nice picture, and usually a little background. http://bartenderschoiceapp.com/wordpress/

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Evernote's good for that sort of thing, if you don't mind filling it completely yourself.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Invalid Octopus posted:

I usually add 0.5-1 oz of vodka to it, that keeps it good for ages.

Whats the ratio of vodka to water (assuming 2x sugar to water)?

Edit:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I also read about the Cynar Flip and want to try that. 2.5oz Cynar, 1oz simple, 1 whole egg. Shaken like the dickens.

I just made this sans simple and it is loving incredible. I heartily endorse this product and pray to stave of salmonella.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 11, 2013

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

nrr posted:

I use an app called Top Shelf myself. Pretty extensive database to begin with, but you can also add/edit recipes very easily. Also has favorites, search by ingredient(s), and the "my shelf" function. Top Shelf also lets you add custom ingredients if what's given isn't sufficient.

edit: Top Shelf is strictly business though. If you want a cocktail app that (just) looks cool, Cocktail Flow is where it's at.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 11, 2013

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This is a question with a lot of correct answers. I keep it till I see stuff floating in it, then I make a new batch. It's so easy to make, it's best to just make small batches and make more when you need it, rather than worry about it going bad.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've had homemade grenadine hang out for 9 months in the fridge no problem. Alternatively, I've had simple syrup get moldy within a few weeks. I never booze up my syrups either. A lot of it is whether or not it wound up getting contaminated, how long you leave the bottle open and/or out of the fridge, etc.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Whats the ratio of vodka to water (assuming 2x sugar to water)?

I generally make about a little less than a mason jar's worth of simple syrup. If you're using 2x sugar to water, then you'll need less – but you're also not making standard simple syrup (which is 1:1).

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Klauser posted:

I checked out the Twitter, then the blog. It's awesome, I hope you guys come back to it.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

zmcnulty posted:

I use an app called Top Shelf myself. Pretty extensive database to begin with, but you can also add/edit recipes very easily. Also has favorites, search by ingredient(s), and the "my shelf" function. Top Shelf also lets you add custom ingredients if what's given isn't sufficient.

edit: Top Shelf is strictly business though. If you want a cocktail app that (just) looks cool, Cocktail Flow is where it's at.

Top Shelf is pretty much the best. I love that once you put your available ingredients in, you can basically just have it tell you what you can currently make.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Don't forget Bartender's Choice, which is kind of the go-to in my crowd for a quick spec, and it lets you look up all the milk&honey drinks people get tribal about. Be careful, though; any notes you take don't update to the icloud backup, which a friend of mine learned when he wiped his phone and lost a year's worth of notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Can anyone suggest some good champagne cocktails? I've a fairly well stocked home bar, and I love the French 75 but haven't really made anything else with champagne in it and am looking for inspiration