Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PrBacterio posted:

EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is for a starship to get past Jupiter in only a minute or so with only the impulse drive in Star Trek doesn't make any sense whatsoever, even in Star Trek terms.

They could always use the warp drive beyond warp 10, but you know what happens when they do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

bobkatt013 posted:

They could always use the warp drive beyond warp 10, but you know what happens when they do that
OK I take it back, being reminded of that episode of Voyager just now made me realize that there's no such thing as "making too little sense for Trek" :eng99:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

PrBacterio posted:

Just to be, in the spirit of the thread, a pedantic bore for a minute here, but Jupiter is some 600 million kilometres outwards from here. To cross that distance in "a minute or so" you'd have to travel at some 10 million kilometres/second, which is to say, some 30 times the speed of light. The impulse drive doesn't go faster than light so the only way for that to be possible is if there's some serious time dilation going on and the one minute of travel time is taken to be only the subjective travel time from the frame of reference of the crew aboard the starship. In which case there's still a lower limit of about an hour or so that would pass in the same time span for an outside observer at rest respective to the remaining solar system.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is for a starship to get past Jupiter in only a minute or so with only the impulse drive in Star Trek doesn't make any sense whatsoever, even in Star Trek terms.

That actually always bothered me.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
When Geordi and Jellico talk about their days as junior officers piloting shuttles inside the solar system, Jellico brings up the 'Titan turn', where they'd would bank hard into the gravity well of the moon and slingshot themselves up to 0.7c.

So they did remember the no-warp thing from time to time.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 2, 2013

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
Well, at least the producers did think about it though! This chart uses velocities that were given for each value of warp in the Star Trek TNG Technical Manual.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Well, at least the producers did think about it though! This chart uses velocities that were given for each value of warp in the Star Trek TNG Technical Manual.

I don't quite get the "Across Federation" part. The Federation is about 50-60 years across? How does anyone ever go outside Federation space?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Lobok posted:

I don't quite get the "Across Federation" part. The Federation is about 50-60 years across? How does anyone ever go outside Federation space?

That column is broken. A ten thousand light-year gap, crossed at the speed of light, somehow takes one hundred thousand years?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Dark One posted:

That column is broken. A ten thousand light-year gap, crossed at the speed of light, somehow takes one hundred thousand years?

You have to account for all of the crazy poo poo that's out there, obviously. I mean, it's pretty much a given that in that expanse, you'd come across a few temporal anomalies.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The MSJ posted:

I'm hearing the Doctor Who theme here.
http://gifsound.com/?gif=http%3A%2F...TGcnyk&start=14

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

That warp chart cracks me up when I think of episodes where like, Geordi takes a shuttle for 3 hours at warp 2 to an engineer convention or whatever, instead of the Enterprise just warping him there in 18 seconds.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 3, 2013

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

That warp chart cracks me up when I think of episodes where like, Geordi takes a shuttle for 3 hours at warp 2 to an engineer convention or whatever, instead of the Enterprise just warping him there in 18 seconds.

Gotta create opportunities for drama somehow!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

OrganizedEntropy posted:

So ummm what about that TNG episode where the future Enterprise D can go to warp 13?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pops Mgee posted:

So ummm what about that TNG episode where the future Enterprise D can go to warp 13?

The warp scale was adjusted sometime between TOS and TNG, stands to reason that it could happen again.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Pops Mgee posted:

Limits are set so that it's even more exciting when they are broken!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

OrganizedEntropy posted:

This image is peak fandom, saying absolutely nothing at all with a poo poo ton of words.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
There's a DS9 episode where Cassidy Yates mentions a family member who has a baseball team on the other side of the Federation, and it would take several weeks/months to get there.
So yeah that pic.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Pops Mgee posted:

Wasn't that a Q episode? In which case it could just be Q messing with Picard.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

jivjov posted:

The warp scale was adjusted sometime between TOS and TNG, stands to reason that it could happen again.

I've seen all of TOS, TNG and DS9 and not only is nothing like this ever claimed, it would be meaningless if it were because 'warp speed' are totally arbitrary units anyway ('wow, now 10x = 6y! What a stunningly useful piece of information!').

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

I've seen all of TOS, TNG and DS9 and not only is nothing like this ever claimed...
It definitely was described in early Starlog articles and magazines when TNG came out.

But it always struck me as weak that it was never referenced where it counts...in the shows. Heck, they had a perfect opportunity in expository-happy Encounter at Farpoint for Data and Bones to discuss it in a line or two.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Wow, I haven't seen an STinSV watermark in years.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Cheesus posted:

It definitely was described in early Starlog articles and magazines when TNG came out.

But it always struck me as weak that it was never referenced where it counts...in the shows. Heck, they had a perfect opportunity in expository-happy Encounter at Farpoint for Data and Bones to discuss it in a line or two.

It was mentioned in the behind the scenes stuff because the original Enterprise went faster than warp 10. They set a limit on the warp speed to make it more realistic, though quickly bent that rule before the first season was even up. The warp 13 used during the last episode hinted towards a redrawn warp curve, but is also just shorthand to show in the future, things are faster and it's no big deal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not sure where something like transwarp even fits, since it was never very well explained, but used often on Voyager since the Borg use transwarp to travel around. Then there's also the quantum slipstream thing, which was mentioned in a couple of episodes, and seems to be the fastest method of travel.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
It makes a lot of sense to change the scale as warp drives get better - once ships can all get near warp 10, describing the speeds as 9.994 and 9.995 or whatever would get a bit silly. Remember that there are big differences in speed between tiny numerical increments once you get that high up the scale.

If the refit D cruises at 9.98 and can go all out at 9.99, I can understand wanting to call them 12 and 13 instead.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wowbagger2004 posted:

It makes a lot of sense to change the scale as warp drives get better - once ships can all get near warp 10, describing the speeds as 9.994 and 9.995 or whatever would get a bit silly. Remember that there are big differences in speed between tiny numerical increments once you get that high up the scale.

If the refit D cruises at 9.98 and can go all out at 9.99, I can understand wanting to call them 12 and 13 instead.

There was a time (pre-TNG) when the cube of the warp factor described multiples of the speed of light. Warp 4 was 64c, Warp 5 was 125c, and so on. The reason they went to the log scale was that the numbers were just getting silly in all the books and such, with authors one-upping each other.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You guys are sure spending a lot of time writing about a fake travel system that the writers don't even portray consistently.

All you need to know is that warp speed is as fast or as slow as the plot demands.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)
Yes, I'm actually a little irritated that people ran with the first part of my post 'they never mentioned it in the show' -- telling me all the various places where this useless piece of information was mentioned -- and not the part about why it was useless anyway.

What, are you going to cross-reference episodes and 'canon' (never mentioned in the show) data relating how warp speed to multiples of c so you can figure out how far it is from Vulcan to Romulus or whatever? I seriously do not understand the problem with warp ~1 = crawl, warp ~5 = walk and warp ~9 = HAULIN ARSE.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Yes, I'm actually a little irritated that people ran with the first part of my post 'they never mentioned it in the show' -- telling me all the various places where this useless piece of information was mentioned -- and not the part about why it was useless anyway.

What, are you going to cross-reference episodes and 'canon' (never mentioned in the show) data relating how warp speed to multiples of c so you can figure out how far it is from Vulcan to Romulus or whatever? I seriously do not understand the problem with warp ~1 = crawl, warp ~5 = walk and warp ~9 = HAULIN ARSE.

I believe Threshold in Voyager is the only episode to outright say that Warp 10 is infinite speed. If you take that and the fact that speeds higher than warp 10 were used all through TOS (and once in the first season on TNG, once in the alternate future timeline in the finally, but never any other time), it's not hard to reconcile that there were different warp scales for different time periods.

But also given how inconsistent warp speeds are shown to be on screen in all of the shows, its easier to assume that the ship moves as fast as the plot requires it too.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
If you think think about this stuff for longer than five seconds, you're probably thinking about it longer than the writers did.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

BrandonGK posted:

If you think think about this stuff for longer than five seconds, you're probably thinking about it longer than the writers did.
Especially seeing how this discussion about the inconsistent portrayal of different warp speeds in Trek seems to have started with my earlier post pointing out how even the portrayal of the relative speeds of the warp vs. the impulse drive is utterly lacking in consistency.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Hey AAtrek, the blu-rays for the original ST movie(s) bundle is on sale, are these all the good versions of the movies? (I really care about the extended Motion Picture more than anything really)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Comfortador posted:

Hey AAtrek, the blu-rays for the original ST movie(s) bundle is on sale, are these all the good versions of the movies? (I really care about the extended Motion Picture more than anything really)

The Motion Picture is the theatrical cut, and it doesn't have the redone effects from the special edition DVDs. It still looks amazing on Blu Ray, however, so you should get them anyway.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Yeah but if there is an official release coming down the pipe, I think I'd rather wait for that. I already have WoK on blu-ray.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's worth having for the artifacts of the original release, like the opening credits which were clearly done at the last minute and are just sort of plopped on like in a Woody Allen movie.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Comfortador posted:

The 2001 "Director's Edition" of The Motion Picture will not be available on Blu-ray until Paramount decides to pay for a recreation of all the CGI developed for that version of the film. The effects generated for the DVD were all built and rendered in 480p (standard definition), so until that is completely rebuilt and re-rendered for a high-definition release, we won't see it.

It's the only version of the film available on Blu-ray, so I say go for it - that is a pretty good price for the six-film set, even though the transfers could really use a "real" remastering.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Aatrek posted:

The 2001 "Director's Edition" of The Motion Picture will not be available on Blu-ray until Paramount decides to pay for a recreation of all the CGI developed for that version of the film. The effects generated for the DVD were all built and rendered in 480p (standard definition), so until that is completely rebuilt and re-rendered for a high-definition release, we won't see it.

It's the only version of the film available on Blu-ray, so I say go for it - that is a pretty good price for the six-film set, even though the transfers could really use a "real" remastering.

What effects are only on the DVD? I never knew they did that.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

penismightier posted:

What effects are only on the DVD? I never knew they did that.

THOMAS VINCIGUERRA in the New York Times posted:

What's New for Trekkies
By THOMAS VINCIGUERRA
Published: February 10, 2002

WHEN ''Star Trek: The Motion Picture'' was released in 1979, hordes of Trekkies rejoiced: 10 years after their cult series was cancelled, Captain Kirk and company had finally returned. Most critics, however, found the $44 million epic to be boring, cold and surprisingly stilted.

The film has gotten a makeover, however. Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment has recently unveiled a director's edition of the film on DVD and VHS, overseen by Robert Wise, the director. The reissue, Mr. Wise said, is meant to replace what many still do not realize was essentially a ''rough cut'' of the movie.

''I was not too happy with the way it turned out,'' Mr. Wise said. ''I didn't have the chance to do all of the editing I wanted before the premiere.''

''Star Trek: The Motion Picture'' pitted the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise against a vast, omnipotent force called ''V'Ger,'' which threatens to destroy Earth. Largely devoid of action and humor, the feature was further jeopardized when the optical effects team proved unable to meet its deadlines. A marathon six-month effort barely delivered 'the Star Trek film in time for its scheduled release.

The rushed film was ponderously paced; poorly executed matte paintings marred many scenes, and lengthy and confusing special-effects sequences were simply spliced in. Mr. Wise, now 87, was so disappointed by the film -- which some critics dubbed ''Star Trek: The Motion Sickness'' -- that for years he refused to discuss it.

But two long-time members of his production company, David C. Fein and Michael Matessino, persuaded Mr. Wise and Paramount to release a revised video version. The project was guided by the original script, surviving storyboards, a bevy of memos and Mr. Wise's memory. In addition to strategic trims, the director's edition offers some 90 new and reconfigured computer-generated images created by Foundation Imaging, according to Daren Dochterman, the visual effects supervisor for the video. The changes range from more convincing renderings of Mr. Spock's home world of Vulcan to clearer depictions of V'Ger itself, which was never actually seen in its entirety.

The fine-tuning extends to the soundtrack. One reason for the film's lifelessness was its almost complete lack of ambient sound -- another casualty of the film's frenzied postproduction schedule. Now, there is more depth in the film's environment; for instance, viewers can hear the background buzz of controls on the Enterprise bridge. Completing the DVD set are trailers, unused footage and interviews with some 30 crew and cast members.

The restoration team included a number of ''Star Trek'' fans who remembered the movie with mixed feelings. One was Doug Drexler, who worked on the visual effects of all four television spinoffs of the ''Star Trek'' series.

''I was dismayed,'' he said of the original 1979 release. ''But the feeling I had after seeing it now was, 'Wow, it's finally finished.' ''

In reality, even with all the upgrades, ''Star Trek: The Motion Picture'' remains an unwieldy hybrid of a reunion film and a sci-fi epic. True believers, though, will likely delight in the improvements.

For his part, Mr. Wise, who won an Academy Award in 1965 for ''The Sound of Music,'' is content. ''This is very much the picture I hoped it would be,'' said the director. ''Without sounding smug, I'm very happy with it.''

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Shots like this aren't in the Blu-ray theatrical edition:

Also, when Enterprise visited Vulcan in the 4th season, they designed the landscape to be similar to the director's cut version of the planet.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 4, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Whoa, I always thought I'd seen the director's cut but I definitely have not.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's worth noting, though, that while the Director's Edition is generally pretty good, there are some inexcusable edits, notably the removal of Kirk's second "viewer off" and the butchering / general warming up of the sound mix. They dubbed over the awesome computer voice, for gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

They dubbed over the awesome computer voice, for gently caress's sake.
I hope you're not saying they removed Ms. Roddenberry? She's the best part of Star Trek.

• Locked thread