Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

So I tried changing the rom on my Galaxy Nexus today but, each one I install gives me no signal. Is there something I'm missing to revert it to stock? Been reading on xda but I'm kind of lost.

e: I was trying to update the Clockwork Recovery, think I may have picked a wrong version in the Galaxy NExus ToolKit. Very lost now

Optiquest fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Optiquest posted:

So I tried changing the rom on my Galaxy Nexus today but, each one I install gives me no signal. Is there something I'm missing to revert it to stock? Been reading on xda but I'm kind of lost.
Can you give some more detail about exactly what you flashed and how?

Returning to stock is as simple as flashing a factory image but sometimes people read XDA and end up using horrible toolkits and such which make this whole exercise far more complicated than it really is when they inevitably fail and the user has no idea why.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So I've finally gotten the itch to put a custom ROM on my Verizon GNex. Its been rooted since I first bought it but nothing other than stock. Last time I ran a custom ROM was on my og Droid which was CM. Anyone care to run down the major sidedness between the top ROMs? I've been doing my own research but I'm interested to see what you all have to say.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Tunga posted:

Can you give some more detail about exactly what you flashed and how?

Returning to stock is as simple as flashing a factory image but sometimes people read XDA and end up using horrible toolkits and such which make this whole exercise far more complicated than it really is when they inevitably fail and the user has no idea why.

So I rooted the phone about a year ago on some ezandroidroot.com type website. Wanted to see if there was anything I could update today before putting a new rom on it. Used the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit on xda, I think I picked a maguro option, but my phone is verizon. Will that affect putting the stock image on? Do I need to convert those .tgz files or something? All the others I've been using are .zips

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Optiquest posted:

So I rooted the phone about a year ago on some ezandroidroot.com type website. Wanted to see if there was anything I could update today before putting a new rom on it. Used the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit on xda, I think I picked a maguro option, but my phone is verizon. Will that affect putting the stock image on? Do I need to convert those .tgz files or something? All the others I've been using are .zips

The Verizon GNex is toro, so that's probably why you have no signal.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Optiquest posted:

You can't flash a GSM (maguro) image onto your phone. You'd need the mysid/toro image, from the page that I linked.

I'd image these won't work directly with a toolkit, but I have no idea really since I don't use toolkits. I recommend that you can install the Android SDK and flash through fastboot so that you actually understand what you are doing to your phone.

But one thing is not exactly clear: what OS version are you running right now?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

My experience is that on some nightlies the GApps script still messes up, so I make sure to do it each time just in case.
I haven't skipped a nightly since before the CM10.1 M1 and on the GSM Galaxy Nexus I can 100% assure you that the GApps script works. What was broken before that was the face unlock script. That having been said the scripts do have device-specific components so there's the possibility of one working while the others do not.

What problems were you having?

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Tunga posted:

You can't flash a GSM (maguro) image onto your phone. You'd need the mysid/toro image, from the page that I linked.

I'd image these won't work directly with a toolkit, but I have no idea really since I don't use toolkits. I recommend that you can install the Android SDK and flash through fastboot so that you actually understand what you are doing to your phone.

But one thing is not exactly clear: what OS version are you running right now?

Well I was able to put AOKP on my phone and I can call people now atleast. Not sure what all I did to mess it up. I'll check out that SDK thing though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

I haven't skipped a nightly since before the CM10.1 M1 and on the GSM Galaxy Nexus I can 100% assure you that the GApps script works. What was broken before that was the face unlock script. That having been said the scripts do have device-specific components so there's the possibility of one working while the others do not.

What problems were you having?

On d2att, the google apps would simply not be there after flashing the new nightly every few builds. Include the gapps zip in the flash and there'd be no problem. So I continue to include it!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Optiquest posted:

Not sure what all I did to mess it up.

You put a ROM for a different phone (maguro, the GSM Galaxy Nexus) on your phone (toro, the CDMA Galaxy Nexus). You should pay more attention to what you're doing if you're going to be flashing ROMs.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Install Gentoo posted:

On d2att, the google apps would simply not be there after flashing the new nightly every few builds. Include the gapps zip in the flash and there'd be no problem. So I continue to include it!

Make sure you're using the right GApps, and that the GApps has a addons.d file in it.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
So I head off to go work on some things today, and I come back to my phone LED blinking red. What I see is the following:

(Gap 1/3rd of the way through is a reboot to recovery to run a backup)

I run an Evo 3D. ROM is Android Revolution HD. HBOOT 1.58, latest radios, etc.

One other thing I've been noticing is my battery going to the "Unknown" status, but if I let it sit for a while it tends to revert back to its' normal state.

Does this seem like a software problem, or is it hardware that's plaguing me?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You have barely any screen-on time, but you have plenty of awake time. The battery is dropping steadily and not overly sharply. It looks like you have some app(s) keeping your phone awake. Try BetterBatteryStats to see whats wake locking your phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Priss In Plate posted:

So I head off to go work on some things today, and I come back to my phone LED blinking red. What I see is the following:

(Gap 1/3rd of the way through is a reboot to recovery to run a backup)

I run an Evo 3D. ROM is Android Revolution HD. HBOOT 1.58, latest radios, etc.

One other thing I've been noticing is my battery going to the "Unknown" status, but if I let it sit for a while it tends to revert back to its' normal state.

Does this seem like a software problem, or is it hardware that's plaguing me?

It's the network, actually. Your general lack of phone signal is absolutely murdering the battery.

edit: There are definitely wakelocks happening too, though.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
On the topic of using Titanium Backup or even the Google restore apps when I load a new ROM.. I would advise against that unless you are reinstalling the same ROM for some reason. On a new ROM though, don't. If your Titanium or Google backup is not compatible, bad things can happen. FC's, random reboots and other awful poo poo is possible. I was having problems when Google was backing up my apps and one of them was causing FC's every half hour and it was driving me nuts.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

demonR6 posted:

On the topic of using Titanium Backup or even the Google restore apps when I load a new ROM.. I would advise against that unless you are reinstalling the same ROM for some reason. On a new ROM though, don't. If your Titanium or Google backup is not compatible, bad things can happen. FC's, random reboots and other awful poo poo is possible. I was having problems when Google was backing up my apps and one of them was causing FC's every half hour and it was driving me nuts.

If you're not backing up system apps, Titanium Backup won't cause this to happen. I've been restoring data cross-rom for years and had no issues.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I had it doing an auto backup and I think it captured some system app in one of the ROMS and when I went to a different flavor altogether it did not play nice. I think it may have been either the stock camera app or messaging but could not be certain. This latest ROM I did not restore from Google or Titanium and so far three days without any issues.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

nimper posted:

It's the network, actually. Your general lack of phone signal is absolutely murdering the battery.

edit: There are definitely wakelocks happening too, though.

I think I have a few clues at what's causing the wakelocks, and yeah my signal is very awful at home save for by my windows. The WiFi isn't playing nice, either.

I'll see what a full BetterBatteryStatus cycle pulls up. Usually I can get 8-12 hours out of my phone without a charge. More if I barely touch it, since I try to use GVoice for most of my inbound calls. v:shobon:v

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Anyone happen to know if the home button falsely registering a long press on CM10.1 d2vzw has been resolved yet? I've been trying to keep up with release notes but haven't seen anything go by that looks like it would do the trick, but I may have missed it. I'd just flash and find out but every time I update I have to muck around with my build.prop to get Wallet working again and I'd rather wait to be sure it's actually worth updating. Thanks.

E: looks like someone submitted a commit for a fix, but I guess I'm not smart enough to read GitHub because I can't tell if it's been merged yet or not.

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 5, 2013

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Bobert51 posted:

Anyone happen to know if the home button falsely registering a long press on CM10.1 d2vzw has been resolved yet? I've been trying to keep up with release notes but haven't seen anything go by that looks like it would do the trick, but I may have missed it. I'd just flash and find out but every time I update I have to muck around with my build.prop to get Wallet working again and I'd rather wait to be sure it's actually worth updating. Thanks.

I'm on the d2spr but I stopped having that problem quite a while ago. I'm sure the Verizon version is the same.

Malmanous
Mar 28, 2008
If I have the monthly release of CM10.1 Can I flash the latest nightly on top, or do I need to wipe /data first?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Malmanous posted:

If I have the monthly release of CM10.1 Can I flash the latest nightly on top, or do I need to wipe /data first?

Should be ok to flash over the top then wipe cache and reboot system.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Priss In Plate posted:

I think I have a few clues at what's causing the wakelocks, and yeah my signal is very awful at home save for by my windows. The WiFi isn't playing nice, either.

I'll see what a full BetterBatteryStatus cycle pulls up. Usually I can get 8-12 hours out of my phone without a charge. More if I barely touch it, since I try to use GVoice for most of my inbound calls. v:shobon:v

There is a new app I downloaded from the app store, Wake lock detector v 1.4.1 that may be of some use to you. In a nutshell with the phone off the charger let it sit for a few hours then run the app and it tells you what has been holding the device in a wakelock state. It has the ability to show full, partial and screen wakelocks. Interesting stuff, you may find it useful.

Malmanous
Mar 28, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

Should be ok to flash over the top then wipe cache and reboot system.

Thanks, wiping /data and starting fresh isn't realyl an issue but if I dont have then that is great.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
iPhone -> Nexus 4 convert. My biggest complaint about the stock Nexus 4 ROM is screen sensitivity / scrolling behavior. Coming from iOS, it feels like scrolling through mud. Even then, scroll speed varies quite a bit depending on the application. What is a good ROM to imitate scrolling behavior in iOS (more inertia, globally) with the option of more touch sensitivity? CM10?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Bobert51 posted:

E: looks like someone submitted a commit for a fix, but I guess I'm not smart enough to read GitHub because I can't tell if it's been merged yet or not.

I've only had mine running CM for a few weeks, but I've never experienced that. I'm thinking it must have been fixed.

Speaking of the d2vzw, are there any roms out there that let me turn on software action buttons and disable the hardware ones?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Bobert51 posted:

I think this was fixed in a nightly sometime mid-March.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I was going to root and flash my Sprint Galaxy S3 for the first time. Is Cyanogenmod 10 the way to go? Is this a decent guide?

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s3-sph-l710-sprint-android-4-1-1-cyanogenmod-10-custom-rom-preview-103343/

As an aside, maybe it's time for a new root thread since the OP is terribly outdated, the guy who posted it is banned, and it mostly refers to ancient phones.

edit: that appears outdated, I guess I need 10.1

coronaball fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 5, 2013

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

CM 10.1 will drain your SGS3's battery much faster than stock.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

I have a thousand hours of uptime, so don't need that so much.

If you're going to make this claim you need to back it up. Pics or it didn't happen.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MC Hawking posted:

If you're going to make this claim you need to back it up. Pics or it didn't happen.

He posted it into the Gen thread if I remember correctly. My bone stock 7 would probably be in the thousand range if I hadn't forgotten it at work over Easter weekend. :v:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I have a Docomo Galaxy S3 LTE (SC-03D/I9305, quad core, 2 GB RAM) and was wondering if there's a decent root method out there that's not a tremendous pain in the rear end.

Also, is there a way for me to essentially make an image of my phone as it is now in case I root and poo poo breaks?

Edit: Are these root instructions or something that I'd do AFTER rooting? http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_i9305

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 6, 2013

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

How often do people have this problem? I wish someone had warned me about this before. I have a d2vzw and I tried as long as possible to say stock-rooted but the battery life was disappointing, considering the hardware. I grabbed LiquidSmooth thinking that since it's so AOSP-ish compared to Touchwiz that the lack of bloat should help the battery out. It turns out that wasn't necessarily the case.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ProjektorBoy posted:

How often do people have this problem? I wish someone had warned me about this before. I have a d2vzw and I tried as long as possible to say stock-rooted but the battery life was disappointing, considering the hardware. I grabbed LiquidSmooth thinking that since it's so AOSP-ish compared to Touchwiz that the lack of bloat should help the battery out. It turns out that wasn't necessarily the case.
The problem is that the drivers necessary to make AOSP work correctly aren't available to CM developers. This will always be an issue with non-Nexus devices as the optimizations required to get good battery life are buried in proprietary code that OEMs simply do not provide.

Malmanous posted:

Thanks, wiping /data and starting fresh isn't realyl an issue but if I dont have then that is great.
By the way, wiping cache isn't necessary. The flashing script will automatically clear the cache and Dalvik for you.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

diehlr posted:

iPhone -> Nexus 4 convert. My biggest complaint about the stock Nexus 4 ROM is screen sensitivity / scrolling behavior. Coming from iOS, it feels like scrolling through mud. Even then, scroll speed varies quite a bit depending on the application. What is a good ROM to imitate scrolling behavior in iOS (more inertia, globally) with the option of more touch sensitivity? CM10?

XenonHD would be good if you want buttery smooth.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
All this battery talk reminds me that I see pretty poo poo battery life on my Galaxy Nexus Maguro (GSM) with CM10.1 M2. Kernel is 3.0.31-cyanogenmod-g64e9296 inky-ghost@cyanogenmod #1

I can barely get through a day, and sometimes while using it on low/med brightness I see battery draws of 1000 mA or greater. It shouldn't be this terrible, right? The battery life is actually fine if I don't use it but as soon as I turn it on it just sucks down all the power into some Nexus vortex.

Any recommendations?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ProjektorBoy posted:

I tried the Liquid Smooth on my S2 and my battery life was horrendous even with after throttling down the power on the kernel and battery saver in place. Some ROMs are good, some are notoriously bad with battery life.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

It drains faster, but not by a considerable amount (in my experience). Running on my VZW S3, I have no worries getting through the day with regular use. I'd say its definitely worth the tradeoff over using Touchwiz.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
My RAZR MAXX keeps trying to push an OTA update (currently rooted on 4.0.4, system version 6.14, I think). From my understanding you basically have to hide the root, update, then reroot. Anyone have any experience with this? Just want to confirm before I take the plunge and risk being stuck unrooted until they crack this version. Still debating a full ROM change, but I hear this update is the JB one, so maybe it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

The problem is that the drivers necessary to make AOSP work correctly aren't available to CM developers. This will always be an issue with non-Nexus devices as the optimizations required to get good battery life are buried in proprietary code that OEMs simply do not provide.
I think in the case of d2, it's more of a matter that CM 10.1 is basically using the Qualcomm refernce platform kernel and drivers, which better support Android 4.2, but don't see as many battery optimizations as they haven't been ported to that version at all.

It basically boils down to a case of "new is less optimized, old may be more optimized."

I'm actually stuck on an older 10.1-M2era build as I haven't had time to "deal with CM" for the past month. I've found the battery to drain faster than stock, but it's not awful. The d2 series recently saw a kernel upgrade to the 3.4 series which was necessary to fix a few things like wifi tether. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it's quite plausible that battery life may have suffered.

And yeah, it's just the price you pay to play the game.