Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
You better be taking screenshots, this website will live forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

John Charity Spring posted:

The staff list had a very obvious find-and-replace done on it, so we end up with things like this:

World Stage the Mod! I've NEVER HEARD OF IT, Ubik. Tell me more!

Just so this can't be edited away later.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

John Charity Spring posted:

The staff list had a very obvious find-and-replace done on it, so we end up with things like this:

World Stage the Mod! I've NEVER HEARD OF IT, Ubik. Tell me more!

quote:

My first grand-strategy game was Supremer Ruler 2020, but then I found Europa Universalis III and World Stage Platinum with it. I really loved the mod and when Carlos announced he wass looking for crew members, I sent in my application, and I was one of the three lucky members, so here am I!
I really want to play this World Stage Platinum.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Best thing is that most of the Devs now connected with 'World Stage' quit Mugna Mundi; I guess they only quit in disgust because they knew a much better game was in the works. A totally different game based on a totally different mod.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 4, 2013

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
In case anyone was disbelieving the connection.

quote:

Domain: WORLD-STAGE.NET
Registrar: Eurodns S.A.

Registrant:
Company: Universo Virtual, Lda
Name: Gustavo Carlos

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

I know the OP is out of date, but I at least had time to add the latest upcoming game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Downloading this demo, will report back in 3 hours when it finishes downloading at 50 kb/s. Guess this game is really popular and their servers are getting swamped.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
There's probably 30 people downloading, tops.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Frionnel posted:

There's probably 30 people downloading, tops.

This is a game that is going to revolutionize the way we play video games. Remember, Ubik said that Paradox cancelled Magna Mundi because they were afraid.:colbert:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
This is so exciting! There's no way this won't end in something marvelous and entertaining. I'm sorry I ever doubted your insanity, ubik. :shepface:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

This is so exciting! There's no way this won't end in something marvelous and entertaining. I'm sorry I ever doubted your insanity, ubik. :shepface:

I'm hoping for an Ubik kickstarter with a massive amount of ranting and paranoia.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Lord Tywin posted:

I'm hoping for an Ubik kickstarter with a massive amount of ranting and paranoia.

Holy crap. Someone please tell him to do this on twitter or whatever, because I want to see it happen.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Did anyone save the original fear post? I've looked and I can't find it.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
So uhh.... the "world stage" demo has 4 playable countries
Venice, Bremen, Morroco and Scotland. Any ideas how long the demo lasts?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

James The 1st posted:

So apparently, MM still has a pulse.
How can this possibly be legal?

BillBear posted:

I don't trust this to not be malware.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I don't trust this to not be malware.

Well i thought the same but i scanned it and it seems clean.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Download cut off midway through. I'm stuck with 300 Megabytes of worthless junk and I don't want to restart the download. :( Maybe I'll just leave my computer on and downloading when I sleep tonight. It'll probably be a letdown after Steppe Wolfe.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

My eyes are burning with the bright as hell map and complex as gently caress gameplay.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

It isn't?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'm surprised that the fanboys were able to keep this on the down-low, then.

I'm gonna tinker around with the demo once it downloads. This seems like the kind of thing where you can easily unlock the entire game.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I get many error filled brigade events and keep getting spammed with useless poo poo, everything seems over complex and the sprites are basically chest sets.
Then i crash.

What is this pile of poo poo?

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

BillBear posted:

Try out the Tutorial... I hear good things about it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Gorgo Primus posted:

Try out the Tutorial... I hear good things about it.

Better than Hitler?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The survival of plucky little Ubik and his epoch-making mod game Magna Mundi World Stage is the best news I've had in weeks.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I came to the "Paradox Games Scene" only about a year ago. What's all the fuss about this "Magna Mundi" and "Ubik"? Of course, I have an idea of what the game is, but I'm more interested in the contexts behind the controversy.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Get that demo now and save it because it may not take long for Paradox to sue them and get an injunction forcing them to take the demo down.

Ubik is definitely ballsy, I guess.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

I came to the "Paradox Games Scene" only about a year ago. What's all the fuss about this "Magna Mundi" and "Ubik"? Of course, I have an idea of what the game is, but I'm more interested in the contexts behind the controversy.

There's a lot of required reading to understand the true depths of hilarity here, but the short version is (and Paradox devs, feel free to correct anything I say that might be wrong):

1. Ubik (a Portuguese man named Carlos Gustavo) and his team release a popular mod to EU3:HTTT called "Magna Mundi" (hereafter Magna Mundi the Mod or MMtM). It's absolutely filled with features, some good, many bad, but the overwhelming scope of it impresses people for a time.

2. After DW comes out, Paradox, as it's done before with Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy for HOI2 and For the Glory for EU2, agree to allow Ubik's new company Universo Virtual to license out the Clausewitz engine to create Magna Mundi: A Europa Universalis Game. (Hereafter Magna Mundi the Game or MMtG)

3. Ubik's team is composed of modders, some Portuguese and others from all over, who have little concept of how to make an actual video game as opposed to a mod of an existing game. Despite a gigantic budget, they miss multiple deadlines.

4. Two years later, MMtG is nowhere near release-ready status, yet Ubik keeps trying to submit the game, filled to the brim with game-breaking bugs, to Paradox as a ready-for-release Gold Master. Paradox shoots down his release candidates again and again, while Ubik and co. (the & co. including the amazing team featured here) attempt to continue to feature bloat and break the stuff that was already there. MMtG looks like a massive boondoogle and Paradox begins to sweat.

5. Ubik raises the tensions by launching his own PR campaign that the game is ready for release and is being held back by Paradox, including giving interviews and having one of the UV people do a hilarious "Let's Play" video of MMtG. He announces a hard release date that cannot possibly be met.

6. Paradox goes public with its concerns in a thread titled "Magna Mundi: the Sad State of Affairs." In the thread, UV employees bite the hand that feeds them, saying that MMtG is ready for shipping except that the multiplayer is broken. Paradox calls them out on it and tells the public that the game is barely even functional.

7. MMtG is cancelled. Ubik, not understanding the difference between licencing and selling, claims that he now owns the Clausewitz Engine and that Paradox has stolen his intellectual property. He doesn't end up filing a lawsuit. He then claims that Paradox had stolen his hard work and was going to release it as the newly-announced Europa Universalis 4. Ubik says that anyone that wants to play Magna Mundi can come to his basement in Portugal and play it themselves.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
After playing Magna Mundi World Stage for about 5 minutes here are my initial impressions.

1. The game crashed when I tried to turn the sound on.
2. The game crashed when I tried to change the resolution.
3. Once I finally got into the game nearly all the assets and sounds have been stolen from EU3 (which Ubik now owns so it's not really stealing,) except for a really annoying wind noise that completely overwhelms everything with the howling of wind if you zoom in too far. Also there's this constant gull squawking noise that I imagine would drive anyone insane in a matter of minutes which is why this game was never tested.

There is a neat thing where as you zoom in and out the unit icons change based on your current zoom level, unfortunately none of the different levels seem to convey any information at all so they're useless.

I guess Ubik fired that lawyer that's been keeping him quiet for the last few weeks because holy poo poo.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh, one last thing I forgot to mention in my summary:

8. The sprites and music for MMtG, which, of course, Paradox owned, were the only things salvageable from the wreck and are now DLC for EU3.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Patter Song posted:

There's a lot of required reading to understand the true depths of hilarity here, but the short version is (and Paradox devs, feel free to correct anything I say that might be wrong):

Don't forget that even before "World Stage", there was a leaked version of one of the final versions of the game that was utterly awful and unplayable, confirming Paradox's side of the story.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Viscardus posted:

Don't forget that even before "World Stage", there was a leaked version of one of the final versions of the game that was utterly awful and unplayable, confirming Paradox's side of the story.

One of my favorite parables of this story is how ubik and co. hadn't added in war and diplomacy

until two months before the game was to be released :allears:

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

Look man, you haven't been to his basement... you don't know Magna Mundi World Stage!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I guess "ubik's out of his mind" is a cliche by now, but drat. How can this go anywhere but down in flames?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gorgo Primus posted:

Look man, you haven't been to his basement... you don't know Magna Mundi World Stage!

I think this is Ubik's brief attempt to make the entire world into his basement.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The Soviet Union has lost over 20 million people in World War II/III in my current DH game. Jesus Christ

55 million casualties in total

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Farecoal posted:

The Soviet Union has lost over 20 million people in World War II/III in my current DH game. Jesus Christ

55 million casualties in total

What happened, was Operation Unthinkable enacted just after the end of WWII?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Spiderfist Island posted:

What happened, was Operation Unthinkable enacted just after the end of WWII?

Basically it was just immediate war after Germany was defeated, and right now (its 1950) the Soviets are losing horribly, what with Britain having reached Moscow from the Caucasus.

Also all the Eastern European capitals are nuclear wastelands.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 5, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, Ubik, that's certainly one way of preventing Ming from expanding:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
That's not even the complete tooltip!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I love it when conducting basic diplomacy requires you to read and understand an essay of requirements for each option.

• Locked thread