Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
I remember finding a copy of Complicity in the school library when I was perhaps 13 and being quite frankly ill-equipped to deal with it. loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnolia Down
Apr 16, 2010
Just really awful news.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
There's so many outstanding things he's written. His short stories never seem to be talked about much, but I love State of the Art. I don't think any author has ever written an aliens-visit-Earth story so well. It sums up the Culture in just a few characters, too. You have the diplomat who gets too involved, the cynical observer, the pleasure-obsessed hedonist, and of course, the all-powerful ship Mind. His ability to tell a story is in no way limited to novel-length books.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Two of my Fav Banks Times;

When I was finishing my degree I took a research trip up to the (then) Edinburgh College of Art. We flew from Gatwick and considering it's a short flight I thought it would be the perfect amount of time to give the BBC Radio 4 Afternoon Drama version of The State of the Art a listen.

The part where she drops through the clouds in the old car, with these calm actors describing the scene, while I looked out of the window some wispy clouds opened up to show the hills of the Northumberland National Park passing by below, and some light playing on the North Sea. It loving owned and I regularly remember it and mention it whenever I talk about Banks.

The second was the protagonist of Transition and how I thought he was a major douchebag. I don't think any author has made me dislike a character that much, intentionally or not. The way he got across how much of a City boy dick he was really struck me, but only added to the book and the narrative for me.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I loved the bit in Against a Dark Background where Golter and Thrial's isolation is talked about - such a bleak and underrated book.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Hedrigall posted:

And to think I'd thought that Iain Banks put out so many books so often, I'd never catch up reading them all :smith:

Like most other people in the UK my age, I found Banks through The Wasp Factory - at a time when friends were steering me toward gardens of torture and concrete - and he stood out so much I decided to take a chance on his SF - a genre I love when it is done well but so often is just dross. In an Oxfam used-book store, I picked up that purple copy of The Player of Games, took it home, and read it cover to cover. I was smitten, and with good reason. I read many of his books every year - seeing how the story is constructed, knowing what comes next, is as fantastic as the unexpected directions the story took me the first time read-through.

I left my Banks books behind when I left the UK, and while I replaced as many as I could with electronic versions, I always missed those paperbacks.

There isn't really much of a point to this other than to prematurely commiserate with you folks who feel the same way I do about this news. I'm grateful that for over half my life I've been aware of his writing. I'm sad that there will be no more, but I'm glad that there were, are, and still (for now) will be Iain Banks novels to enjoy. I'm also glad he got off his arse and went on a honeymoon, daft sod that he is.

I found myself wishing that I had introduced my eldest boy to Ian M Banks - that I'd have to show him one day with the warning - "there will be no more." Then I realized that this isn't yet the case. Time to get off my daft arse myself, and win another Banks fan while there's still time to enjoy the excitement of a new Banks novel. I figure that's as good a way to deal with this news as any.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The funniest line I can remember from any of his books, probably misquoting since I'm going from memory:

[In reference to an ROU] "It looks like a giant dildo."
"How appropriate. Properly armed, it can gently caress entire star systems."

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
I'm gutted, the first news of death of a famous person which has affected me personally for a very long time. I liked the idea about talking about favourite bits so the thread's not just a procession of depression. I think mine has to be when the Culture visits Earth:

'Also while I'd been away, the ship had sent a request on a postcard to the BBC's World Service, asking for 'Mr David Bowie's "Space Oddity" for the good ship Arbitrary and all who sail in her.' (This from a machine that could have swamped Earth's entire electro-magnetic spectrum with whatever the hell it wanted from somewhere beyond Betelgeuse.) It didn't get the request played. The ship thought this was hilarious.'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love the Arbitrary.

quote:

Later, Li had us all play another game; guess the general­ization. We each had to think of one word to describe humanity; Man, the species. Some people thought it was silly, just on principle, but the majority joined in. There were suggestions like 'precocious', 'doomed', 'murderous', 'inhuman', and 'frightening'. Most of us who'd been on-planet must have been falling under the spell of humanity's own propaganda, because we tended to come up with words like 'inquisitive', 'ambi­tious', 'aggressive', or 'quick'. Li's own suggestion to describe humanity was 'MINE!', but then somebody thought to ask the ship. It complained about being restricted to one word, then pretended to think for a long time, and finally came up with 'gullible'.

'Gullible?' I said.

'Yeah,' said the remote drone. 'Gullible… and bigoted.'

'That's two words,' Li told it.

'I'm a loving starship; I'm allowed to cheat.'

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!

The Aguamoose posted:

'Also while I'd been away, the ship had sent a request on a postcard to the BBC's World Service, asking for 'Mr David Bowie's "Space Oddity" for the good ship Arbitrary and all who sail in her.' (This from a machine that could have swamped Earth's entire electro-magnetic spectrum with whatever the hell it wanted from somewhere beyond Betelgeuse.) It didn't get the request played. The ship thought this was hilarious.'

You know, I've always felt Bowie's Starman would have been a more appropriate request. :v: As for my own favorite, man, it's really hard to choose, his books have a lot of great moments. Lots of people have already mentioned the end of Use of Weapons (and for good reason), so I think I'll go with a moment that hasn't been mentioned so far; in The Algebraist, when the Starveling cult attacks the Dwellers, and we get our first glimpse at what they're really capable of...

Bandamyion
Oct 22, 2008
Sad news :( loving cancer :(

Consider was my first and I loved it. All sorts of poo poo going wrong :)

I found out Iain was in retirement but was still releasing books and I picked up The Algebraist live.

Against a Dark Background I loved it's bleakness. Continent of AIs as thay are only ones that can live with the radiation around! More stuff going wrong...

So many good scenes in all his books!

Time to crack some whiskeys out

:(

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ataru13 posted:

You know, I've always felt Bowie's Starman would have been a more appropriate request. :v: As for my own favorite, man, it's really hard to choose, his books have a lot of great moments. Lots of people have already mentioned the end of Use of Weapons (and for good reason), so I think I'll go with a moment that hasn't been mentioned so far; in The Algebraist, when the Starveling cult attacks the Dwellers, and we get our first glimpse at what they're really capable of...

And relatedly, the Dwellers' reaction to Lusiferous trying to strong-arm them in negotiations later on -

"Hmm," Peripule said thoughtfully. "I do hope you have enough people."

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Motherfucker.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

And relatedly, the Dwellers' reaction to Lusiferous trying to strong-arm them in negotiations later on -

"Hmm," Peripule said thoughtfully. "I do hope you have enough people."
I loved this scene. Banks spends the whole book building up this guy as the most villainous villain who ever villained, and then his methods completely fall apart in the face of bizarre alien psychology.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Fray posted:

I loved this scene. Banks spends the whole book building up this guy as the most villainous villain who ever villained, and then
Spoilers, if you don't mind.

Acutally, more generally, can everyone please be mindful to keep stuff in spoiler tags.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Dude, the book's been out for eight years. Also, we're half in mourning and half reminiscing about the good times in here. Having a stick up your rear end about the rules is kind of gauche given the circumstances.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Sindai posted:

The funniest line I can remember from any of his books

Ataru13 posted:

...in The Algebraist, when the Starveling cult attacks the Dwellers, and we get our first glimpse at what they're really capable of...

quote:

After their initial, furious, take-no-prisoners attack and no-quarter polishing-off of those who'd got away, the Dwellers had just as suddenly gone back to their usual show of "Shucks us?" ineptitude, claiming it had all been a terrible mistake and could they help with the Third Fury rebuild?

...actually almost everything the Dwellers did was pretty funny.

FEMA summer camp fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 5, 2013

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

andrew smash posted:

Dude, the book's been out for eight years. Also, we're half in mourning and half reminiscing about the good times in here. Having a stick up your rear end about the rules is kind of gauche given the circumstances.

Oh sorry, I didn't realise that the author's impending death meant you could ruin the books for anyone who came here to commiserate (I mean they've been out for a while, if you haven't read them then gently caress your ability to read them unspoiled).

Maybe out of recognition for the author's genius you should try not to impede other people's enjoyment of his work? Or yeah, have a cry about this little polite request, your call.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Those On My Left posted:

Oh sorry, I didn't realise that the author's impending death meant you could ruin the books for anyone who came here to commiserate (I mean they've been out for a while, if you haven't read them then gently caress your ability to read them unspoiled).

Maybe out of recognition for the author's genius you should try not to impede other people's enjoyment of his work? Or yeah, have a cry about being reminded of the rules, your call.

Hahaha, okay man. Click that big shiny report button if you have an issue with something i posted.

Nice edit. Trying to dodge a probation for backseat modding?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Those On My Left posted:

Maybe out of recognition for the author's genius you should try not to impede other people's enjoyment of his work? Or yeah, have a cry about this little polite request, your call.

Come on man, not now. :( Heck, you've read more of Banks than me.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

gently caress I didn't realise it was so improper to ask people to be careful not to spoil the books, sorry for inconveniencing you all so very much.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Well if this just isn't the worst bit of news.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Those On My Left posted:

Get some perspective.

Iain Banks has been a staple of my life from about 14 years old. He's influenced me politically, socially and creatively. Like my favourite music, he's been a constant through major life upheavals and joys. I bought a copy of Excession just to give away to somebody who was doubtful. I don't really know what to say. This news makes me so sad

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It isn't unreasonable to ask for spoiler tags at a moment when there is likely to be an influx of new readers clicking on the thread out of curiosity after seeing something in the news.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Yeah its not hard to just spoiler your poo poo. Most of the stuff posted isn't spoilers at all tho.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Oh no.

No. :smith:

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

IrvingWashington posted:

Like most other people in the UK my age, I found Banks through The Wasp Factory - at a time when friends were steering me toward gardens of torture and concrete - and he stood out so much I decided to take a chance on his SF - a genre I love when it is done well but so often is just dross. In an Oxfam used-book store, I picked up that purple copy of The Player of Games, took it home, and read it cover to cover. I was smitten, and with good reason. I read many of his books every year - seeing how the story is constructed, knowing what comes next, is as fantastic as the unexpected directions the story took me the first time read-through.
I did EXACTLY the same thing.

This loving sucks man, how is it David Cam and George Osborne still walk the earth while one of the best authors ever is doomed :(

Thanks god, thank you very much you cock.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I had Banks further back on my reading list, but the recent news has made me want to start reading him now. Is it just that I want my money going to his royalties while he's still alive and likely to be facing steep financial burdens? Is that weird? I wish him and his family happiness while he's still with us.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

SinetheGuy posted:

I had Banks further back on my reading list, but the recent news has made me want to start reading him now. Is it just that I want my money going to his royalties while he's still alive and likely to be facing steep financial burdens? Is that weird? I wish him and his family happiness while he's still with us.

He doesn't have steep financial burdens. He's made money writing for the last 29 years, his books'll continue to sell until copyright runs out, and he lives in a country where everyone gets free healthcare.

IainMBanks posted:

Lastly, I’d like to add that from my GP onward, the professionalism of the medics involved – and the speed with which the resources of the NHS in Scotland have been deployed – has been exemplary, and the standard of care deeply impressive. We’re all just sorry the outcome hasn't been more cheerful.

Quoted from http://friends.banksophilia.com/

Shimmergloom
May 20, 2007
Oh loving NO!

gently caress cancer forever, this is affecting me far more that I would have thought.

gently caress gently caress gently caress!

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe
Well, poo poo.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

poo poo. Banks is awesome and it'll suck to lose him. Such a distinct voice and perspective. Looks like I'll have to read all his non sci-fi books too now. Another sad reminder that time is limited and nobody else is gonna make that cool thing you want to make. So do lots of good work and maybe you can be 1/64th as cool as Banks. :(

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

At the risk of sounding crass, can any of guys recommended any authors in a similar vein to Iain M Banks, scifi wise? Read a fair bit of Alistair Reynolds, Peter F Hamilton, Charles Stross, Richard Morgan. Keep trying to get into Ken MacLeod's books, but seem to get distracted. Anyone obvious I'm missing?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
There's some parallels between the Culture and the Polity of Neal Asher's books. AI-dominated society, secret police that enact the wishes of the AI rulers behind the scenes, that sort of thing, but Asher's Polity is a less graceful and utopian than the Culture. Still some good reads.

I recommend the Spatterjay series and then the Ian Cormac series. I read the Cormac novels then the Spatterjay novels and I think it would have been better reversed.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
My impression in general has been that the Asher Polity books are like Banks if Banks were a fascist.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Wolfechu posted:

At the risk of sounding crass, can any of guys recommended any authors in a similar vein to Iain M Banks, scifi wise? Read a fair bit of Alistair Reynolds, Peter F Hamilton, Charles Stross, Richard Morgan. Keep trying to get into Ken MacLeod's books, but seem to get distracted. Anyone obvious I'm missing?
Stephen Baxter and Paul J McAuley, when they're leaning toward space opera.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Llamadeus posted:

Stephen Baxter and Paul J McAuley, when they're leaning toward space opera.

Baxter I've read a couple of, and I'd never really connected how similar they were in many ways. He seems more po-faced, though, which is probably why I enjoyed his book with Terry Pratchett; there was a ton more humour in it.

McAuley I've not read at all, so adding to the list. Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I suppose the authors I mentioned aren't really that similar except in a few superficial ways (they're all British, wrote books set in space, started publishing science fiction in the 80s). A better comparison might be Colin Greenland's Take Back Plenty (often cited as being part of the same wave of British space opera as Banks) or M John Harrison's The Centari Device (which basically kickstarted it).

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

M John Harrison is one of those guys who'd be considered literary were he not into scifi. The Centauri Device reminds me more of William Gibson stuff than anything, if only in tone. Will definitely check out the other guy, though, as I've not come across him before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Wolfechu posted:

M John Harrison is one of those guys who'd be considered literary were he not into scifi. The Centauri Device reminds me more of William Gibson stuff than anything, if only in tone. Will definitely check out the other guy, though, as I've not come across him before.

Harrison is fantastic, one of my favorite authors. Unfortunately for me, online discussion of his books is hard. He seems to regard sci-fi fandom with complete disdain (i don't necessarily blame him) and so there seems to be a fair amount of frothing hatred directed toward him whenever he comes up in online settings. Haven't seen it here though.

• Locked thread