Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

coyo7e posted:

Mortal life unenending ... in the pain of wounds. Seems more like he is essentially immortal, but fated to turn into a cricket in extreme antiquity or some poo poo, like that old fable where the guy was doomed to live but not be immune to the ravages of age.

Duncan MacLeod knows mortal life unending and the pain of wounds that comes as a result. But if his head pops off, he's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Midnight Tides has started off kind of slow. I'm about a quarter in and something real cool just happened with Brys and some Elder Gods. Pretty much anything involving Elder Gods rules. I was also surprised at how god drat good the characters have been so far. Erikson is definitely masterful at coming up with and characterizing all his fictional folk. Tehol and Shurq are the definite standouts. I'd even go so far as to say they're already up there with the characters I've spent 4 books with.

I want to always be reading a Malazan book. :allears:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

apophenium posted:

Midnight Tides has started off kind of slow. I'm about a quarter in and something real cool just happened with Brys and some Elder Gods. Pretty much anything involving Elder Gods rules. I was also surprised at how god drat good the characters have been so far. Erikson is definitely masterful at coming up with and characterizing all his fictional folk. Tehol and Shurq are the definite standouts. I'd even go so far as to say they're already up there with the characters I've spent 4 books with.

I want to always be reading a Malazan book. :allears:

I just got stuck in from about seven months ago. I just started Memories of Ice aka book 3 on my re-read straight after my first read. Please just post your thoughts about the books as you have them - that is always gold. The first book reads ridiculous better when you go through and understand the world in the first place.

Also, you didn't mention Bugg. :colbert:

Not liking Bugg is like being some sort of weirdo Canute. :colbert:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Bugg is really great, though his sheep fat tea didn't sound too tasty.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

apophenium posted:

Bugg is really great, though his sheep fat tea didn't sound too tasty.

Few of his recipes do.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Kalas posted:

Book 1 is considered by many the toughest one to get through. I put it down and restarted three times before slogging through it to the end. It got better near the end, but it set the scene for what was to come next. Once I hit the second book, I wound up burning through the entire series as the quality in my opinion improved a great deal.

You could actually skip the first book and start with the second or third really, but there is a lot of foreshadowing in the first book. Then again, there's a ton of foreshadowing throughout the entire series.

This is one of those series that is improved by re-reading a second time since you get to chuckle at a lot of casually mentioned things that turn out to be very important.

Steven Erikson seems to me to be a cross between George Martin and Brandon Sanderson. With better pacing.

GOTM honestly feels better to me as a prequel. If I'd recommend anyone to the series I'd tell them to start with Book 2. GOTM is SO MUCH better after you've read the series already.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
I on the other hand found Deadhouse Gates boring and uninteresting compared to Gardens of the Moon; only the dust jacket of Memories of Ice got me to keep going. Maybe it's because I enjoy deducing how a world works and how characters fit together rather than finding it intimidating? Well, that and subverting Dune tropes just didn't appeal to me as much as an appearance by the Eternal Champion.

Edit: Gardens of the Moon is a great reread though, but it seems to me being a great reread requires having been read first.

User fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 4, 2013

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

User posted:

I on the other hand found Deadhouse Gates boring and uninteresting compared to Gardens of the Moon; only the dust jacket of Memories of Ice got me to keep going. Maybe it's because I enjoy deducing how a world works and how characters fit together rather than finding it intimidating? Well, that and subverting Dune tropes just didn't appeal to me as much as an appearance by the Eternal Champion.

Edit: Gardens of the Moon is a great reread though, but it seems to me being a great reread requires having been read first.

Deadhouse Gates was really slow for me until the last quarter or so. There were some okay things along the way, but I wasn't sold on it until pretty late in the book. It was a little tough to get into maybe because I really enjoyed Gardens of the Moon, which felt a lot more pulpy, I guess. When I read that first big magic battle in Gardens of the Moon I was hooked and couldn't put the book down. So it was a bit jarring going in to Deadhouse Gates which ended up being a lot more ponderous with how things unfurled. The payoff was well worth it. I think Gardens of the Moon is best read first so you have more interest in the returning characters and seeing what happens to them.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I just finished rereading Deadhouse Gates and I enjoyed everything except the Chain of Dogs. The most interesting parts to me were the Silanda and the Kalam/Pearl story. Gardens of the Moon interested me right from the start. It's weird how this series divides people, even those who love the series seem to have completely opposing favourites. I liked House of Chains the best, it seems to be the least favoured of most of you.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Some people are enticed by a mystery to piece together, and others are frustrated?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I just finished rereading Deadhouse Gates and I enjoyed everything except the Chain of Dogs. The most interesting parts to me were the Silanda and the Kalam/Pearl story. Gardens of the Moon interested me right from the start. It's weird how this series divides people, even those who love the series seem to have completely opposing favourites. I liked House of Chains the best, it seems to be the least favoured of most of you.

It was the Chain of Dogs that got me hooked into the series. Like many here the first novel was a struggle, did enjoy it in the end, but book 2 did it for me. I thought the Chain of Dogs was a great, harrowing plotline that never let up the danger and struggle they were in, from the beginning to the end.

Caveatimperator
Oct 30, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think you're the only Malazan fan I've ever heard from who didn't like the Chain of Dogs. I've introduced the series to people and warned them "if the end of DHG doesn't tear your heart out, stop reading."
One of the BOTF's greatest strengths is probably also its greatest weakness. It's so broad and so filled with interesting ideas that there's something for almost anyone who can get used to Erikson's style. You could almost say it suffers from "White Album Sydrome". Everyone agrees that the series is roughly half interesting and half boring. Getting any group of fans to agree on which half is which is almost impossible.

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

Guy I acquired acid from yesterday saw all my Malazan books on my shelf and got excited; "Hey it's those Garden of the Moon books!"

Turns out he had loved book one and was loving book two. It was great happening upon another IRL who had even heard of the books, much less liked them.

I told him that if he enjoyed the first two, then he is in for a loving treat come book three.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
What was the offer Hood was referring to Anomander Rake right before he caused Hood to have an unfortunate accident with Draginpur?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Kinetica posted:

What was the offer Hood was referring to Anomander Rake right before he caused Hood to have an unfortunate accident with Draginpur?

I think it's that everyone dies with regrets, Jaghut humor :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kinetica posted:

I am pretty sure it's the whole lending a hand with the army of the dead thing but I'm not entirely sure, so you may want to post a quote.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Lord Jigger posted:

Guy I acquired acid from yesterday saw all my Malazan books on my shelf and got excited; "Hey it's those Garden of the Moon books!"

Turns out he had loved book one and was loving book two. It was great happening upon another IRL who had even heard of the books, much less liked them.

I told him that if he enjoyed the first two, then he is in for a loving treat come book three.

I met someone who had read them, but apparently read 100+ books a year, all fantasy stuff. He didn't seem to remember anything from it. You know, maybe he was just bragging. I don't know.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Kinetica posted:

IIRC, Hood wanted out of being the god of death. Rake needed reinforcements in the realm of Dragnipur to hold off Chaos in the final push while Rake attempted to summon or whatever Mother Dark. The wag I interpreted it, being killed by Dragnipur and having his soul there be released when Brood shattered the sword allowed him to step out of the role without actually dying. The bit about reconsidering was, yeah, Jaghut humor. I'm not sure if it's the whole regrets thing mentioned above. I just kind of took it as...Hood (and Jaghut in general) are hardly fickle. He has a history of being very committed to his choices. So here's him walking out of a Warren almost literally into Anomander's path and saying, 'Wait, I've had hundreds of thousands of years to think about this, but something new occurred to me last night...'

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

apophenium posted:

I met someone who had read them, but apparently read 100+ books a year, all fantasy stuff. He didn't seem to remember anything from it. You know, maybe he was just bragging. I don't know.

Imagine how much poo poo, literal written excrement, he has to wade through is he reads a hundred books a year of nothing but fantasy. You wouldn't remember anything either.

Caveatimperator
Oct 30, 2012

Habibi posted:

Imagine how much poo poo, literal written excrement, he has to wade through is he reads a hundred books a year of nothing but fantasy. You wouldn't remember anything either.

I'd have to search pretty drat hard, and probably read books in other languages, to find 100 books of fantasy that meet my standards.
Hell, after Malazan, I was so overwhelmed that I didn't read fantasy again for about half a year. Partially because I'd spent so much time reading Malazan that I had built up a long list of other things I wanted to read.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Caveatimperator posted:

I'd have to search pretty drat hard, and probably read books in other languages, to find 100 books of fantasy that meet my standards.
Hell, after Malazan, I was so overwhelmed that I didn't read fantasy again for about half a year. Partially because I'd spent so much time reading Malazan that I had built up a long list of other things I wanted to read.
And this guy reads 100 per year. Like I said - a lot of excrement.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Habibi posted:

Eh, at least 100 were fantasy from here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459058&userid=167660#post399295591

I remember most of them, but admittedly not all.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

ulmont posted:

Eh, at least 100 were fantasy from here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459058&userid=167660#post399295591

I remember most of them, but admittedly not all.

Per. Year.

How many good or even non-poo poo fantasy books come out each year?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I'd like to think it isn't too hard?

David Gemmell had 31 fantasy books.

Pratchett clocks in with 39 Discworld books alone, but lets not work out which other books of his are fantasy, scifi or whatever.

11 Malazan/forge of darkness from Erikson.

5 song of ice and fire books so far from GRRM.

14 wheel of time books.

10 Sanderson books ignoring his Wheel of Time ones.

And we have 109 without even stretching too far into the bad. I think the middle Wheel of Time books are about the worst here, and even they are pretty good fantasy.

Stretching further you have 5 ICE malazan books.

You have the 12 belgarion/mallorean/standalone Eddings books, plus his 6 Sparhawk ones for a total of 18. Anything post-that stuff is too bad to count even at a stretch.

We have classics like the hobbit and the 3 lord of the rings books for another 4 solid fantasy books.

And while on that note, the simarilion was worked on by Guy Gavriel Kay, but that aside he has written 3 definitely fantasy and 10 maybe fantasy books.

Add in the Gentlemen Bastards (Locke Lamora) for two books so far. Abercrombie brings 6 other top notch fantasy novels that should be in everyone's must read list. We have Dresden Files for 14 paranormal / urban fantasy.

That's 171, and we have gone as low as David Eddings, but not his newer stuff.

There are the Night Watch books, translated from Russian but widely available. That's another 4 for 175.

I'd throw in Tom Lloyd's series for another 5, bringing us to 180.

There's the ten Chronicles of Amber books, from Zelazny, for 190.

Robin Hobb is okay. So there's another 11 books for 201. I've only read three though.

China Mieville has 7 books I'd probably call fantasy. That's 208. At this point you can almost hit 200 without Eddings! I guess there's the Name of the Wind and it's sequel for 210 too.

8 Dark Tower books arguably bring us to 218. King started the series strong, but it lost it's magic for me half way through.

How can we forget the 7 Harry Potter books, to bring us to 225?

6 Earthsea books from Le Guin bring us to 231.

Gene Wolfe adds another 9 fantasy books at the very least. So 240.

Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow and Thorne makes it 243.

The Shannara series is now 24 books long, and Brooks also has his "MAgic Kingdom for Sale" series which is 6 books. So 273 here.

I could go on, but I'm getting bored. There are at least 250+ decent fantasy books out there, in English. I missed tons of the classics, like the Conan books, Glen Cook's stuff, the classic arthurian cycles, the narnia books, etc. I could easily see 300+ fantasy books very much in the "readable" weight class being out there right now without looking too hard.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Habibi posted:

Per. Year.

That was 2012, which was not atypical when compared to previous years, and I expect 2013 to be roughly the same.

Habibi posted:

How many good or even non-poo poo fantasy books come out each year?

Looking at tor.com's "fiction affliction" tag, and just the "fantasy" and "urban fantasy" releases, there were 525 books last year. If you take Sturgeon's law, around 53 of them were not crap.

http://www.tor.com/tags/Fiction%20Affliction

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

ulmont posted:

That was 2012, which was not atypical when compared to previous years, and I expect 2013 to be roughly the same.

Looking at tor.com's "fiction affliction" tag, and just the "fantasy" and "urban fantasy" releases, there were 525 books last year. If you take Sturgeon's law, around 53 of them were not crap.

http://www.tor.com/tags/Fiction%20Affliction

So as I was saying, he reads a lot of poo poo. :)
Okay, so being exceedingly generous, that's 3 years worth of 'good' reading.

But in all honesty, you lost me at Terry Brooks. :colbert:

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 5, 2013

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Habibi posted:

So as I was saying, he reads a lot of poo poo. :)

Okay, so being exceedingly generous, that's 3 years worth of 'good' reading.

But in all honesty, you lost me at Terry Brooks. :colbert:

That's still two and a half years of good reading. Plus at least 50 will be worth re-reading at least once.

Hell, given the time (trapped on a tropical beach with nothing but my kindle and cocktails served by scantily clad ladies perhaps?) I could read 100 books a year just with Erikson and the Dresden Files. Both series are better on re read, and I could do multiple re reads of each.

I also forgot the roman Pokemon series Jim Butcher wrote in between his Dresden books. There's another six.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Caveatimperator posted:

I think you're the only Malazan fan I've ever heard from who didn't like the Chain of Dogs. I've introduced the series to people and warned them "if the end of DHG doesn't tear your heart out, stop reading."
One of the BOTF's greatest strengths is probably also its greatest weakness. It's so broad and so filled with interesting ideas that there's something for almost anyone who can get used to Erikson's style. You could almost say it suffers from "White Album Sydrome". Everyone agrees that the series is roughly half interesting and half boring. Getting any group of fans to agree on which half is which is almost impossible.

It's not that I didn't like the Chain of Dogs, it's just that once you know where it's headed, it feels really long and drawn out. Also, putting up with Felisin's poo poo is a bit annoying.

What I really liked though, (TCG spoilers) was the tiny bit of Blistig. I'd forgotten where both Blistig and Keneb came from, because, y'know, 8 books on you don't remember every single marine by name. Seeing him standing next to Pormqual at the fall of Coltaine, frustrated that his commanding officer was letting Coltaine die because of extreme ineptitude and cowardice, makes me feel more sympathy for his mutineering at the end of the series. Especially since his first mutiny (running back to the city when he was ordered not to and releasing the Red Blades from prison) saves the lives of every single citizen of Aren.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Masonity posted:

That's still two and a half years of good reading. Plus at least 50 will be worth re-reading at least once.

Hell, given the time (trapped on a tropical beach with nothing but my kindle and cocktails served by scantily clad ladies perhaps?) I could read 100 books a year just with Erikson and the Dresden Files. Both series are better on re read, and I could do multiple re reads of each.

I also forgot the roman Pokemon series Jim Butcher wrote in between his Dresden books. There's another six.

Okay. He's either rereading the same hundred books every year or he's reading a lot of really lovely fantasy books every year, whatever. :rolleyes:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Habibi posted:

Okay. He's either rereading the same hundred books every year or he's reading a lot of really lovely fantasy books every year, whatever. :rolleyes:

Well seeing as I came up with around 300 passable books without even trying particularly hard, I'd say there's every chance that 400-500 non lovely fantasy books exist. That's 4-5 years right there. After that long re-reading isn't a huge stretch. Hell, how long could someone actually afford to read 2 books a week every week for? Life eventually catches up and moves you to a 30-50 book a year habit even if you are a big reader.

The genre isn't as bad as some people make out.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Masonity posted:

Well seeing as I came up with around 300 passable books without even trying particularly hard, I'd say there's every chance that 400-500 non lovely fantasy books exist. That's 4-5 years right there. After that long re-reading isn't a huge stretch. Hell, how long could someone actually afford to read 2 books a week every week for? Life eventually catches up and moves you to a 30-50 book a year habit even if you are a big reader.

It isn't, but it's a lot worse than many habitual genre readers probably realize. Some of your list was legit good, but a lot of it was Drizzt-level stuff like the Dresden Files. There is good fantasy every year, fantasy that can hold up to real thought and offer something in return, but a lot of it is still very commercial and very thin.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Masonity posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry, but your list of 300 includes such classics as the 20 some odd books of Shannara, and Eddings' derivative cycle of the same thing he did interestingly once just happening again with different characters. I remember enjoying Terry Brooks when I was 10 and didn't know the difference. Why not throw in some Goodkind while you're at it? If you can find 400-500 actually good fantasy books, that's a skill that should earn you a high paying job somewhere.

And I say that as a big fan of the genre. My bookshelves contain 200-300+ fantasy books, easy. And while I love rereading good books, most of them are unlikely to get reread unless eg I forget just awful the 'Scions of Shannara' series was.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 6, 2013

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I'm pretty confident the guy I talked to did in fact read a lot of lovely fantasy. But this is a strange digression for the thread, I think.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

apophenium posted:

I'm pretty confident the guy I talked to did in fact read a lot of lovely fantasy. But this is a strange digression for the thread, I think.

Seriously.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Has anyone else tried the new audiobooks Brilliance Audio is putting out? Ralph Lister does an amazing job narrating. They only have the first 3 books out so far though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm further into Toll the Hounds now and I've realised the main problem is that Iskaral Pust has had far too few passages

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Masonity posted:

You would seriously re-read the Dresden Files? You have a high tolerance for horrible prose, my friend. I couldn't even make it through that poo poo once, and I used to read Piers Anthony.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

It's almost like people have different tastes in books. Weird.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

wallaka posted:

It's almost like people have different tastes in books. Weird.

Taste is important, but it's not the sole determinant of a book's worth or quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I just finished the Cippled God, and uh I'm kind of confused.

1. Why did Cotillion shank the CG? 2. Was was Herboric doing?

Are the other Malazan books by that other dude good by the way?