Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Anjow posted:

Does anyone know how I can get Inca Kola in the UK? I have googled but any mention of it is sold out.

Whereabouts are you? I managed to find it in Switzerland of all places so it should be somewhere you can get it. Try "Asian" food stores or look for foreign food import shops. Search for other things like Pisco and find out where they are sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Is there some kind of limit on how long a rental agency can take to send your bond release form to you? I have been waiting for several months for the form to be sent. Every time I ring up I get some bullshit story about they've just received the last thing they needed for it and that it will be mailed that day, and then weeks pass with nothing.

I'm in Australia. Is there some kind of law here on this sort of thing?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Elphiem posted:

What's the best trading software to make "play money" trades and get experience?

Bitcoins :buddy:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Does handedness track with "leggedness?"

For example:

Do left-handed people climb stairs left leg first? How about when putting on pants?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I have a laptop keyboard problem. My T key fell off a couple years ago but I kept using the little rubber thing underneath it and it worked well enough. Then the rubber thing fell off and now it's just a flat surface. I have to press down on it kinda hard to get a t. It was kind of a pain, but I again got used to it. Now it's becoming less responsive and randomly holds itself down so I get tttttttttttttttttttttttt frequently. I can't put my laptop in sleep mode because the T key wakes it up and keeps it on until the battery completely drains and it shuts down. Is there any way to fix this?

Elphiem posted:

What's the best trading software to make "play money" trades and get experience?

Investopedia has a great online trading simulator that starts you out with $100k and lets you buy/short any stock and trade options as well.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

tarepanda posted:

For example:

Do left-handed people climb stairs left leg first? How about when putting on pants?

People normally have their dominant leg on the same side as their dominant hand but it isn't uncommon to hear otherwise.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Anjow posted:

Does anyone know how I can get Inca Kola in the UK? I have googled but any mention of it is sold out.

Cybercandy has it in stock. They're always your best bet for obscure sweets and sodas.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ron Don Volante posted:

I have a laptop keyboard problem. My T key fell off a couple years ago but I kept using the little rubber thing underneath it and it worked well enough. Then the rubber thing fell off and now it's just a flat surface. I have to press down on it kinda hard to get a t. It was kind of a pain, but I again got used to it. Now it's becoming less responsive and randomly holds itself down so I get tttttttttttttttttttttttt frequently. I can't put my laptop in sleep mode because the T key wakes it up and keeps it on until the battery completely drains and it shuts down. Is there any way to fix this?

Is there less-used key of the same size, which you could cannibalize for parts? Scroll Lock or F9 or something? If so, just pop off the keycap and press it down on on the T mounting point.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Some laptop keyboards are super easy to replace and many of them can be like $5-10 on eBay.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

tarepanda posted:

For example:

Kind of.

What these studies found is that right handedness is correlated strongly with right footedness, but left handedness is correlated weakly (or not at all) with left footedness.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Should a person try to find work around their school schedule or vice versa? My cousin says I should look for work right now since my unemployment is almost exhausted. My family wants me to stick with school, they have an idea that if I start working I am gonna give up my plans to finish my degree.I don't see that happening though. I have an opportunity to work fulltime at $17 an hour 9-5. I would prefer a part time job butthe only part time job that I know pays decent wages will kill me in gas.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Ron Don Volante posted:

assuming it's windows, you can remap another key to be the T key this way:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/map-any-key-to-any-key-on-windows-xp-vista/

e: macs: http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

b0nes posted:

Should a person try to find work around their school schedule or vice versa? My cousin says I should look for work right now since my unemployment is almost exhausted. My family wants me to stick with school, they have an idea that if I start working I am gonna give up my plans to finish my degree.I don't see that happening though. I have an opportunity to work fulltime at $17 an hour 9-5. I would prefer a part time job butthe only part time job that I know pays decent wages will kill me in gas.

It depends how dire your situation is... If you can finish your degree taking classes on nights & weekends & online (real school online, not for profit school), then by all means work and get your degree at the same time. That also requires you to be able to do both at once, but it'd probably be worth it in the long run. How far are you from finishing? Is the job related to your career plan? Etc.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to prevent web pages from doing that annoying thing where you hit back, but you get to the same page anyway?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

hooah posted:

Is there a way to prevent web pages from doing that annoying thing where you hit back, but you get to the same page anyway?

Hit back twice quickly.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

hooah posted:

Not that I know of (other than the suggestion above), but most modern browsers will bring up a list of the sites you previously visited if you right-click on the back button. Just pick the one before the annoying thing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Not that I know of (other than the suggestion above), but most modern browsers will bring up a list of the sites you previously visited if you right-click on the back button. Just pick the one before the annoying thing.

I'll be damned. I've been using long click until now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I already knew about those two work-arounds, but I was hoping for something that actually prevented those sites from doing that.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Thanks! I think I'll go with this. Who needs F6 anyway...

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

hooah posted:

Yeah, I already knew about those two work-arounds, but I was hoping for something that actually prevented those sites from doing that.

There's a few reasons they could be doing it, either a script loading in the page or in an ad. Aside from using Adblock/Noscript (or equivalents) there isn't much you can do, unfortunately.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I got a footwear care question. I have some chuck taylor-alikes that are good as new as far as the upper and outsole are concerned but the welt is peeling away. What should I use to repair this? They're rather expensive shoes that aren't being made in this color anymore and I'd like to keep using them as long as possible.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

US goons:

Does it cost to receive calls on your mobile (cell) phones?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Geokinesis posted:

US goons:

Received calls count against the minutes on my plan unless they are in the same network or some other exception, but there is no connection fee or anything like that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Geokinesis posted:

US goons:

For the most part, yes. Well...it costs minutes, I don't know of any cell plan that actually still charges a straight-up rate per minute, it's typically "Pay $50-$120/month, get X minutes, Y texts, Z gigs of data."

And before you ask, yes, incoming texts also count against your monthly text limit.

US cell plans suck, but at least their not Canadian cell plans! :buddy:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

For the most part, yes. Well...it costs minutes, I don't know of any cell plan that actually still charges a straight-up rate per minute, it's typically "Pay $50-$120/month, get X minutes, Y texts, Z gigs of data."

And before you ask, yes, incoming texts also count against your monthly text limit.

US cell plans suck, but at least their not Canadian cell plans! :buddy:

So someone calling you uses up both yours and their minutes?

What about people who aren't on contract?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Geokinesis posted:

So someone calling you uses up both yours and their minutes?

What about people who aren't on contract?

Yes and yes them too.

:patriot:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

It's not intentional if that's what your thinking. Sometimes browsers interpret ads or other content loading in iframes as separate page loads and will navigate back on the content on those iframes instead if the page you're looking at.

Sending an email to the web dev may actually get it fixed.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I find myself in an odd situation right now and I could use some guidance.

My wife's grandparents are in their 90's and in declining health. We love them dearly and will be very sad to see them go.

Long story short, my wife and I want to buy their house after they pass. We aren't looking for a handout, we're not wishing for their swift death (as they are not currently suffering), but we want to be first in line to put in an offer.

The real question is, what's the best way to approach my in-laws? (father in law, plus an aunt and uncle will most likely jointly inherit the place when all is said and done). I want to be as respectful as possible and give them time to discuss it or at least think about it before they pass away, but I don't want to seem like a vulture circling over head. Is there a tasteful way to breach the subject?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I honestly can't think of any tasteful way to bring it up before they die. Why not wait until after they pass, when the estate is settled? I'm sure even if they're planning on flipping it quickly you'll be in on the dialogue early on and can mention that you're interested. There's really no reason to bring it up any earlier.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

CzarChasm posted:

I find myself in an odd situation right now and I could use some guidance.

My wife's grandparents are in their 90's and in declining health. We love them dearly and will be very sad to see them go.

Long story short, my wife and I want to buy their house after they pass. We aren't looking for a handout, we're not wishing for their swift death (as they are not currently suffering), but we want to be first in line to put in an offer.

The real question is, what's the best way to approach my in-laws? (father in law, plus an aunt and uncle will most likely jointly inherit the place when all is said and done). I want to be as respectful as possible and give them time to discuss it or at least think about it before they pass away, but I don't want to seem like a vulture circling over head. Is there a tasteful way to breach the subject?

That's pretty tricky. I'd say only bring it up if there is another conversation about estate planning going on. And frame it as "It would mean a lot to us blah blah."

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Yeah that's a good call, you could say something like "would love to keep it in the family" etc. etc.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

This is good advice and I appreciate it and I will take it to heart. I mean, it's not like the place will be sold in a day once it does hit the market. And it needs a lot of cosmetic work before it will be sellable. There's plenty of time to worry about this later.

I should really be focusing on spending time with the grandparents when there is still time to do so (going to visit this weekend).

Thanks guys, I think I just needed a perspective that wasn't inside my head.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I am trying to find an episode of Top Gear and all I can remember about it was they did something with an SUV/Mini-van that had giant windows all the way around. It was blue I think, and maybe french.

EDIT: Series 12 Episode 3

The Renault Avantime.

bigperm fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 6, 2013

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

bigperm posted:

I am trying to find an episode of Top Gear and all I can remember about it was they did something with an SUV/Mini-van that had giant windows all the way around. It was blue I think, and maybe french.

It was a Renault Avantime from Series 12 Episode 3 I think.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Somebody messaged me on a website asking for ex post facto permission to use a photo I took. She sent me this message:

quote:

Hi, we have posted your redacted photo as the cover photo on our Facebook page. We change our cover photo approximately every 4 weeks. We would also like to use this photo on our website. Please contact myself at redacted to approve of us using your picture. Thank you.

redacted
redacted Association of Canada

I'm not a stickler about IP ownership, but this is a business group angling for free photo rights. I'd like to squeeze some money out of it. Should I tell them "Cease and desist, take that poo poo down, here are my rates" or "I'm delighted you're using my photo, here are my rates"? I don't know how to approach it.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

razz posted:

Maybe I'm dumb as hell, but I've had my 2009 Ford Focus for about 2.5 years and I cannot for the life of me figure out where (or if?) there is a button or lever inside the car to pop the trunk. I've looked everywhere and read the manual. Literally the only way to open the trunk is with the key fob.

Am I crazy?

Did you try inside the glove box? I have a different year, though.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
How does "Guantanamo" become "Gitmo?"

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

tarepanda posted:

How does "Guantanamo" become "Gitmo?"

The military really likes to abbreviate things, and GTMO was used for Guantanamo.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Mescal posted:

Somebody messaged me on a website asking for ex post facto permission to use a photo I took. She sent me this message:

I'm not a stickler about IP ownership, but this is a business group angling for free photo rights. I'd like to squeeze some money out of it. Should I tell them "Cease and desist, take that poo poo down, here are my rates" or "I'm delighted you're using my photo, here are my rates"? I don't know how to approach it.

There's a Dorkroom thread for that! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2959985&perpage=40&pagenumber=79

Normally I'd just shrug it off and politely quote them a rate knowing they won't pay, but the fact that they just went ahead and used it first before even waiting for a response would piss me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

stubblyhead posted:

GTMO was used for Guantanamo.

Aha! Thanks.