Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Giant Squid posted:

Thanks. I hadn't been to the emergency room in over a decade, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

This is a really annoying situation. I had a fall at work, but felt perfectly fine. Several coworkers told me to go to the emergency room so that I would have documentation in case it turned out that I actually had been injured. I went to the ER, I got an x-ray, the LP told me I was fine, and I went home. Total cost to find out that I was just as fine as I felt? Roughly $1700.

If you fell at work surely worker's compensation will pay for it? Or do I think that because I'm from the wonderful land of Oz :australia:
I recently had a $600 bill from a hospital waived because I'm poor (this is in the US) and from a recent TIME article and my own experiences, it's always worth negotiating. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Giant Squid posted:

Thanks. I hadn't been to the emergency room in over a decade, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

This is a really annoying situation. I had a fall at work, but felt perfectly fine. Several coworkers told me to go to the emergency room so that I would have documentation in case it turned out that I actually had been injured. I went to the ER, I got an x-ray, the LP told me I was fine, and I went home. Total cost to find out that I was just as fine as I felt? Roughly $1700.

Next time you need to get something checked out but it isn't an actual emergency see if you can find an urgent care clinic in your area. It's going to be a hell of a lot cheaper (regular insurance copay or maybe a bit more), and you're not contributing to the overcrowding of hospital emergency rooms.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Giant Squid posted:

Worker's comp will absolutely cover that if it happened at work, and your employer made a huge mistake by not taking control of your treatment right away. Tell your healthcare provider; you don't need to pay anything.

fake edit: assuming you're in the US

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...

randyest posted:

Worker's comp will absolutely cover that if it happened at work, and your employer made a huge mistake by not taking control of your treatment right away. Tell your healthcare provider; you don't need to pay anything.

fake edit: assuming you're in the US

I'm in the U.S.

I work as a high school teacher, and I've been going back and forth with people at our central office trying to figure out how this is going to be handled. I've already sent them proof that I was at the ER on that particular day and filled out an incident report, but nobody has gotten back with me after that. I guess I need to hound them until I get a response. I don't know how to negotiate the next step of saying "Here's the bill from the hospital, take care of it."

Do I contact the billing department at the hospital next?

Giant Squid fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 3, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Giant Squid posted:

I'm in the U.S.

I work as a high school teacher, and I've been going back and forth with people at our central office trying to figure out how this is going to be handled. I've already sent them proof that I was at the ER on that particular day, but nobody has gotten back with me after that. I guess I need to hound them until I get a response. I don't know how to negotiate the next step of saying "Here's the bill from the hospital, take care of it."

You a member of the NEA?

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...

stubblyhead posted:

You a member of the NEA?

Yes.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Has anyone ever reported a business to the BSA for using pirated software? How's that work / what's the fallout like? Came across it somewhere and am completely intrigued by the idea. Is the company sued? Fined? More?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

I would keep pestering the front office about it for now, but if they persist in not playing ball then definitely talk to your union rep. Hopefully it won't come to filing grievances or god forbid lawsuits, but if your local union is anything like the one my dad was a member of they should definitely be able to help--that's why you're paying those dues, after all. If you can talk to HR via email then do so since that will give you some documentation of your attempts to get things sorted out should it be necessary.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Giant Squid posted:

I'm in the U.S.

I work as a high school teacher, and I've been going back and forth with people at our central office trying to figure out how this is going to be handled. I've already sent them proof that I was at the ER on that particular day and filled out an incident report, but nobody has gotten back with me after that. I guess I need to hound them until I get a response. I don't know how to negotiate the next step of saying "Here's the bill from the hospital, take care of it."

Do I contact the billing department at the hospital next?
Yes! Don't pay a dime. You're covered. It's workers comp because it happened at work. They're making a huge mistake by not jumping on it right away.. Get a lawyer on contingency right now.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Weighing in on the seafood: I loathe a lot of seafood, but that's because I lived in a fishing town as a kid and got used to it fresh off the boat. I can hog it down all I like if it's really fresh, but even less than a day later it tastes foul and fishy.

So yeah, you might be as sensitive to not-totally-fresh seafood as I am. As other people have said, try just-caught if you can. I'd even say try that over frozen, to give yourself the best chance of liking it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Here's more about seafood: if you consider "seafood" as a single, non-variable category then it's pretty obvious that most, if not all, of your hangups about eating it are all in your head. Fish come in a variety of different flavors and textures; as do molluscs and crustaceans.

I grew up on the east coast of Canada where fish is a big part of the food culture, but I find white Atlantic fish to be really boring because it doesn't have much flavor (if often has to be spiced or sauced up). Salmon, charr, trout, or other fish from that family are god drat delicious however. They are the red meat of the sea. I'm not a fan of tuna, but it's often considered the ocean's chicken, so you can start with that I guess.

Molluscs range from squid and octopus (which are generally flavorless but have the capacity to soak up flavors and great texture if cooked properly) to the very rich and creamy taste of bivalves such as scallops and oysters. Hell, there's enough variety in that group alone. Mussels are rich too, but they also have a slight bitterness to their flavor. I've written enough so I won't go on about crustaceans, except that lobster and shrimp are, in my opinion, rather bland even though they are often considered decadent and fancy food. Crab on the other hand tends to be very tasty, or at least the varieties I've eaten are (snow, dungeness, and king).

Mammals and birds? I really dislike seal; the meat is very oily and has a rubbery texture and is far too rich for my liking. Many seabirds taste great I hear, but I've only personally eaten murres/guillemots.

Basically: Saying "I don't like seafood" is just as silly as saying "I don't like land food" except there is one caveat: It doesn't keep as well, so follow this advice too:

Runcible Cat posted:

As other people have said, try just-caught if you can. I'd even say try that over frozen, to give yourself the best chance of liking it.

Also seconding the goon(s) that said to try good sushi. Japanese cooks know how to make anything that comes from the ocean delicious.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 3, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Travakian posted:

Has anyone ever reported a business to the BSA for using pirated software? How's that work / what's the fallout like? Came across it somewhere and am completely intrigued by the idea. Is the company sued? Fined? More?

I worked for a mom and pop tech support place that came across one of our clients (50+ users) using pirated software. We attempted to convince them that this was a bad idea, and that we would not support the pirated software, but we were not allowed to contact the vendor of said software. (Apparently ratting out stolen software users is bad for business :shrug: )

The company who is pirating can be fined and or sued. It's theft, so legal action could potentially be brought against the company. If it's a big software company (Microsoft) you can bet that they will sue you to the full extent of the law.

If it is happening at the company you work for, you can report them (Sometimes the software companies will offer a reward), but be prepared to lose your job. Technically, they can't fire you for being a whistle blower, but they can make your life uneasy and fire you for being 2 minutes late.

Along those lines, depending on how big an offense it was and the kind of software involved, it could potentially ruin a company with the fallout. Imagine working for a company of 500 employees, all running pirated copies of Windows. Something like that could wipe out a small company after legal battles, fines, etc. Even if the fines were a slap on the wrist and the software company decided not to sue, replacing the pirated software with legitimate copies would still cost the company a chunk of change.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mak0rz posted:

Also seconding the goon(s) that said to try good sushi. Japanese cooks know how to make anything that comes from the ocean delicious.
By wrapping it in boring rice and disgusting seaweed, ugh.

My stupid question: Is there a way to tell Netflix not to suggest TV shows? I've never used it to watch TV shows, and I don't plan on watching any, either, but that's about the only thing it suggests.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Maybe I'm dumb as hell, but I've had my 2009 Ford Focus for about 2.5 years and I cannot for the life of me figure out where (or if?) there is a button or lever inside the car to pop the trunk. I've looked everywhere and read the manual. Literally the only way to open the trunk is with the key fob.

Am I crazy?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

razz posted:

Maybe I'm dumb as hell, but I've had my 2009 Ford Focus for about 2.5 years and I cannot for the life of me figure out where (or if?) there is a button or lever inside the car to pop the trunk. I've looked everywhere and read the manual. Literally the only way to open the trunk is with the key fob.

Am I crazy?

My 06 grand prix doesn't have a dedicated button for the trunk (or keyhole on the trunk) if you long-push on the door unlock button it pops the trunk, maybe something like that.

edit: door unlock button in the car, there is a trunk button on my fob.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

razz posted:

Am I crazy?
Sadly, you're not crazy.

I have the 2008 Ford Focus which is the same an interior and there is not a trunk release inside the car, only on the keyfob. If I don't have the keys on me I fold down the rear seats and reach inside the truck to pull the emergency handle.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 3, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Is it possible to make myself gradually like seafood, or am I hardwired this way and just screwed out on a lot of seemingly delicious food?

You can train yourself to like things, but if there's already plenty of food you do like, why even bother? Unless you have friends who like to go to seafood restaurants a lot it doesn't seem like it would be an issue.

As far as milder-tasting stuff goes though, I'd recommend salmon steaks, battered and deep-fried gummy shark or calamari, smoked eel hand rolls, or canned tuna mixed with tomato sauce and mayonnaise in sandwiches. Particularly good in a jaffle with cheese. As mentioned by others though, seafood is a pretty broad category, so if you've only tried the most common stuff then you might want to look for some more unusual options.

Mescal posted:

But there's nothing fishy at a good sushi joint except the roe. Fishy fish is fishy cause it isn't fresh.

What does this even mean? Fish tastes fishy because it is fish. What do you mean "tastes fishy" if not "tastes like fish"?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

By wrapping it in boring rice and disgusting seaweed, ugh.

That's only one type of sushi, there are plenty of other options.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Travakian posted:

I've heard anecdotally that BSA inquiries require a lot of cooperation from the accused company to be successful. They're not a law enforcement organization or anything so they can't compel you to grant them access to your servers, and a court order would be difficult to get on accusations alone.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

What does this even mean? Fish tastes fishy because it is fish. What do you mean "tastes fishy" if not "tastes like fish"?

"Fishy" is the smell/taste of fish when you leave it in a cooler for more than a week or two. Fresh fish has a very delicate and subtle taste to it.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

hooah posted:

I have a 2011 Cruze, and recently rented a new Focus. Both have the door lock button on the center console rather than the armrest as in previous cars. Is this a new trend, or just something Ford and Chevrolet have done recently? What's the reasoning behind it, if any?

Yeah it seems like a new trend. I don't know if it's for security purposes or not but I used to be able to stick a coathanger into my door and pop the unlock button on the door rather easily, but this was a 1992 car and think car companies wised up to that eventually.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

FCKGW posted:

Sadly, you're not crazy.

I have the 2008 Ford Focus which is the same an interior and there is not a trunk release inside the car, only on the keyfob. If I don't have the keys on me I fold down the rear seats and reach inside the truck to pull the emergency handle.

What a stupid thing to leave out. Well at least I know I'm not just overlooking it. Actually at one point me, my fiance, and his brother were all looking for it because we thought it HAD to be somewhere there, because who makes a car without an interior trunk button? If I lost the fob I'd forever have to open the trunk like you said, by pulling down the seats. Dumb!

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
The fish thing has been covered extensively, but I have issues with fishiness, too, and might be useful in helping from that poster's side of the line. I know we're all adults here, but I'm not sure if sushi is the gateway to enjoying fish. I really like it now, but if someone doesn't like something I'd rather assume a kid's palate than a connoisseur's. Whoever said some good battered fish and chips was on to something. It's fish texture without much fish taste. One step at a time, yeah?

I also avoid combining fish and tomato because for some reason tomato brings out the worst of the fish taste. I'm in the US, and most tomato runs the risk of a metallic taste that makes fishiness even worse.

Avoid catfish, too, and any of the inexpensive white fish that cycles into fashion at the grocer's frozen section--mahi mahi, tilapia, swai. I think cod used to be one of those, but as a kid I'd have it drenched in butter with salt and it was heaven.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Travakian posted:

Basically, the company is forced to jump through hoops to respond to the BSA's demands that the company provide a receipt for every piece of software (owned by a BSA member firm) on every computer. See also:

http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/Projects-Management/What-to-Do-When-You-Receive-a-BSA-Audit-Letter/
http://redmondmag.com/articles/2010/09/01/beware-the-bsa.aspx
http://www.scottandscottllp.com/main/blogindex.aspx?id=170

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I have Facebook as a boomark, just the url https://www.facebook.com. For the last three days, every time I've clicked on it, it's taken me to my messages page first, at facebook.com/messages. If I click the bookmark again, I go to the homepage. What's up with that?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tried to Google but had trouble finding a solution. I have a .docx file that I sent to my boss, who uses a Mac (I have a PC). It has some embedded Excel spreadsheets. When he opens them with Office for Mac, the spreadsheets cannot be edited because they are converted into an image file. The file opens fine on any PC. Any way I can fix this? Maybe save it as .doc?

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Thanks for the fish talk, guys. For clarification, yes, everything from any kind of fish to mussels, scallops, clams, shrimp, lobster, anything from the sea I cannot stand. It can be quite possible I may not like these things because they aren't cooked right. The only thing I can eat is clam chowder, but that's probably because the entire thing is more chicken than clam itself.

I once ate popcorn shrimp, and I was able to down it by smothering it in butter sauce more than it needs to be.

I'm Filipino, so my entire family loves seafood. I've been surrounded by seafood my whole life growing up. I'm pretty sure my mom ate seafood like there's no tomorrow while she was pregnant with me, but that doesn't explain my horrible distaste for it. In fact, I used to eat shrimp when I was a kid, but at around the 4th grade, it started to gross me out, and I couldn't explain why. It never tasted any different, it was only my reaction toward it that changed.

Perhaps I'll try some fancy and gourmet fresh-caught fish such as tuna and salmon. Maybe some expensive sushi. I absolutely love vegetable sushi and bulgogi kimbap, but was too afraid of regular sushi (raw fish or not, didn't make a difference to me). I love battered and fried foods, but I think battered and fried seafood grosses me out more than freshly prepared. Thing is, looking at dishes such as salmon steaks actually looks delicious. It might even smell good! It can even make my mouth water! I love the sound of deep-frying when I'm near the seafood section at the Asian market. But tasting any of it makes me gag.

I guess we'll see what happens!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm getting a new laptop and wanted to know the easiest way to transfer all my steam game save data over, which can be a hassle. What would be the easiest way to do this without having to track down every save folder for each games? I've some things about http://www.gamesave-manager.com/ and it seems like a decent option?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Yoshi Jjang posted:

The only thing I can eat is clam chowder, but that's probably because the entire thing is more chicken than clam itself.
:stare: there is no chicken in clam chowder. Maybe your problem with seafood is the crazy place you've been eating it?

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

randyest posted:

:stare: there is no chicken in clam chowder. Maybe your problem with seafood is the crazy place you've been eating it?
What I mean is that sometimes clam chowder is made with chicken stock/broth. And no, I've encountered seafood everywhere, from harbors to restaurants to home cooking. I wish I could help liking it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone here bought whatever one of those "one weird secret" ads are selling? Was the secret actually weird, or was it mundane common knowledge like I suspect?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When the Supreme Court started hearing arguments on gay marriage, lots of people on Facebook changes their profile pictures to the punk equals sign on a red background. Previously, I'd seen a similar symbols a bumper sticker, but yellow on blue instead. Is there any significance to the color change?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone here bought whatever one of those "one weird secret" ads are selling? Was the secret actually weird, or was it mundane common knowledge like I suspect?
It's usually some pseudo-scam to get you to buy the .pdf guide to immortality/free energy/ultimate dieting/etc. Predictably these contain information that ranges from mundane to totally insane.

Johnny Got His Gunt
Aug 19, 2008

I can't stop thinking about Dr. House's huge, throbbing...diagnostic skills.
When you look at somebody that you could be interested in, does weight come in as a factor of acceptability? Would you look twice if that person added 30lbs on to their body that originally caught your eye?

I'm 5'6, how much "should" I weigh by societal standards vs the bmi?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Johnny Got His Gunt posted:

When you look at somebody that you could be interested in, does weight come in as a factor of acceptability? Would you look twice if that person added 30lbs on to their body that originally caught your eye?

BMI is a terrible standard because it doesn't take build into account. It's basically made for ectomorphs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

BMI is a terrible standard because it doesn't take build into account. It's basically made for ectomorphs.

:can:

I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago. And, coincidentally or not, the transition point from "overweight" to "healthy" BMI is about where I stopped feeling like I was wearing rubberized armor all the time.

The BMI has its limitations, and it's only intended to be a rough guideline, but that's no reason to throw it out completely.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Nobody cares in the slightest as long as you aren't firmly in the overweight category.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
What's the best trading software to make "play money" trades and get experience?

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

hooah posted:

When the Supreme Court started hearing arguments on gay marriage, lots of people on Facebook changes their profile pictures to the punk equals sign on a red background. Previously, I'd seen a similar symbols a bumper sticker, but yellow on blue instead. Is there any significance to the color change?

Both were started by the Human Rights Campaign (http://www.hrc.org/). I can only assume, based on what I've seen in the news/read, that the red/pink is supposed to stand for love, instead of their more general campaign for equality.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm getting a new laptop and wanted to know the easiest way to transfer all my steam game save data over, which can be a hassle. What would be the easiest way to do this without having to track down every save folder for each games? I've some things about http://www.gamesave-manager.com/ and it seems like a decent option?

Unfortunately save game files in Windows aren't stored in a standard spot. Different games store them in different places, sometimes in the game folder ("\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Gamename\"), sometimes in your app data folder ("\Documents and Settings\Yourname\Application Data\" in XP), sometimes in your documents folder ("\Documents and Settings\Yourname\My Documents\" in XP), sometimes it's under Local Settings ("\Documents and Settings\Yourname\Local Settings\Application Data\" in XP), sometimes it's under All Users instead of your profile (so same as the previous ones but "All Users" instead of your name). It's a massive pain in the arse if you have more than a handful of games.

Are you asking if physical attractiveness is affected by being fat?

Cymbal Monkey posted:

It's made for looking at groups of people rather than individuals. While it may be completely irrelevant for a given individual, if the average BMI of a population is in the too-high or too-low ranges then you can generally say that there may be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone know how I can get Inca Kola in the UK? I have googled but any mention of it is sold out.