Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I gotta say I'm really happy with 10.8.3 and feel like it's the fastest version of OSX since 10.6.x. Granted this is on a 2010 MBP.

10.8, especially 10.8.3, has definitely breathed new life into the machine.

I'm able to play LoL at 30fps on the laptop screen, while watching full screen HD MLB.tv on a external monitor without a single hiccup or slowdown. I'm a happy camper. This same activity back in 10.7, granted LoL was in beta back then and shortly there after discontinued, would have produced much screen tearing and stuttering on both screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this. I want to set up L2TP via Server.app, but I am not sure I know what I am doing. Everything I see online is either highly technical, or simply a step-by-step without discussing the implications. Essentially, I want to set up a VPN for use on public hotspots, in airports, etc. I want my MacBook Air/iDevices to send *all* traffic over the VPN so I don't have to worry about tracking/profiling or poo poo like Firesheep. Does the L2TP VPN option let me do that, or I need to set up something more advanced?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

8ender posted:

Its gotten way better each point release for Mountain Lion. I expect that to continue.

Apple, to its credit, has been good with optimizing backend stuff, but IMHO still sticking its fingers in its ears for the usual stuff, like Finder.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

wolffenstein posted:

I don't think they were anticipating senior level management changes when Cook said OS X would be a yearly release cycle.

Which is exactly my point - the future generally contains unknown events which may interfere with shipping schedules!

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Can anyone recommend a password manager program, ideally one with good integration between OS X and iOS?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
1password is the goto paid solution, a bit pricey but it works very well on both platforms.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Lexicon posted:

Which is exactly my point - the future generally contains unknown events which may interfere with shipping schedules!

Nearly every company ever operates on a schedule and sometimes misses their deadlines. This is not at all a revelation.

Muck and Mire posted:

Can anyone recommend a password manager program, ideally one with good integration between OS X and iOS?

1Password is what I use and highly recommend. Other options: lastpass, maybe keepass

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 3, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

Nearly every company ever operates on a schedule and sometimes misses their deadlines. This is not at all a revelation.

It is also not at all the point I was making. Apple has a widely known aversion to public schedules for OS releases or products. They made an exception in the case of OS X this time last year. That turned out to be an unwise decision, given managerial events.

That's all I'm saying.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

wolffenstein posted:

maybe keepass

No don't!

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Reeder for Mac (and iPad) just went free. The author is adding backend support for things other than Google Reader so it's a pretty great app to pick up for the low price of zero dollars if you are an RSS user.

Reeder posted:

Reeder for Mac and iPad will be updated to 2.0 in the coming months. Version 2.0 will add all the features of the iPhone version, including all sharing and syncing services. Until then, Reeder for Mac and Reeder for iPad will be free, starting today.

I think that only 2.0 will have support for other RSS services, and will probably be a new paid app.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

graph posted:

No don't!

Is there some kind of reason to avoid keepass you're referencing here?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

SaturdayKnight posted:

Is there some kind of reason to avoid keepass you're referencing here?

I've heard the keepass apps for Mac and iOS are poor in quality. I've tested Lastpass and it works but certainly doesn't have the qualities of a good Mac/iOS app. You really pay for the quality with 1Password, but it's worth every penny.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

wolffenstein posted:

I've heard the keepass apps for Mac and iOS are poor in quality. I've tested Lastpass and it works but certainly doesn't have the qualities of a good Mac/iOS app. You really pay for the quality with 1Password, but it's worth every penny.

Eh, I have keepass synced to my iPhone, iPad, and Mac via Dropbox, which is pain, but it works, is free, and most importantly, keeps my poo poo just as safe.

Sure, all the iOS and Mac clients are ugly as poo poo, but you get what you pay for, and I don't think a pretty UI is worth what 1Password charges.

Unless there is some sort of actual encryption issue with keepass clients I'm unaware of, in which case, well I guess I chose poorly.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Okay, start the count: 10.8.4 beta is out for developers.

That's 1!

Seems like 10.8.4 includes drivers for Geforce GTX Titan. This combined with the GTX 680 from EVGA and the 7950 from Sapphire (both OS X native) points to a new round of hardware with updated GPUs. Personally, I'm hoping for a new Mac Pro in June

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DaNzA posted:

Then you'll need to adjust the volume from the osd of the monitor itself :v:

Why would they do this?! What's wrong with having every available volume control work?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Because HDMI is designed primarily for TVs. You don't see volume controls on DVD players and game consoles because they assume the user wants a single volume control.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
On the other hand, Windows lets you control volume over HDMI.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Why is using a mouse in OSX such an awful experience? I think it has to do with the mouse acceleration, because I move the mouse slightly and the cursor barely moves, and then I move it a little more and it flies across the screen. I've played with all the settings and it still feels off. I just want it to work like the mouse does in windows :mad:

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Have you tried this? http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=194668

It makes things MUCH better.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I'm not the only person that prefers OS X mouse acceleration, right?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

1997 posted:

I can't really tell the difference.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Why is using a mouse in OSX such an awful experience? I think it has to do with the mouse acceleration, because I move the mouse slightly and the cursor barely moves, and then I move it a little more and it flies across the screen. I've played with all the settings and it still feels off. I just want it to work like the mouse does in windows :mad:

Try SmoothMouse. It has a 'like in Windows' setting that works really well. Alternatively, Microsoft's Intellipoint drivers have a similar setting, but that only works for Microsoft mice and it's kind of lovely and unstable.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Sonic Dude posted:

Seconding CCC. Mike Bombich is a pretty cool guy, and both he and the product are worth supporting.

japtor posted:

Just played around with the settings a bit, looks like Carbon Copy Cloner ($40) can do it. Set up a folder to backup to whatever other folder, and schedule it to run when the destination is connected.

Alternatively there's probably a bunch of free stuff that can do it too (and I'd mention them if I knew them), but with CCC you're paying for a well supported easy to use "just works" solution basically.

I checked it out and it looks like it just makes an image of the folder? I guess what I need is more of a program that'll sync files between two folders.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

keevo posted:

I checked it out and it looks like it just makes an image of the folder? I guess what I need is more of a program that'll sync files between two folders.
If you want just a backup I'm pretty sure it'll do what you want, I think you were just looking at the wrong option. Select the source folder, destination folder/drive (disk image is just another option here), and pick one of the options or customize if necessary.

If you want a two way sync then uh, things get a bit more complex and you'll need something else to achieve that. I guess you could use CCC but it'd be a bit of a workaround rather than what it's built to do (like it'd have to be two backup tasks going back and forth I think). I've heard good things about ChronoSync but haven't used it myself. There's other local Dropbox-like projects to do it too but I haven't messed with any of them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I can't really tell the difference.

I don't know if I can't tell the difference or whether I just adapt REALLY quickly when I switch systems, but I have yet to sit down at either machine and say "ugh what is up with this mouse acceleration". I just.. use it and it works :confused:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I use better touch tool to the same effect.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I paid for a copy of SteerMouse when I got my G500.

Wish I would have known about some of these other options, could have saved twenty bucks.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

1997 posted:

No, I prefer it too. It is weird when you first start using OS X after a lifetime of Windows though.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I fixed this by just using a magic trackpad and abandoning my mouse. I haven't used a mouse in over a year. Don't really miss it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

1997 posted:

I even prefer it for shooters tbh, but I both am used to OS X and I'm not very good at shooters.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

chupacabraTERROR posted:

This kept me off of OSX for years. Back when I was bi-OS, the first thing I would do when sitting down at a Mac was to adjust the movement from the Mouse preferences.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The only thing that I use a mouse for in OSX is google maps.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

computer parts posted:

I even prefer it for shooters tbh, but I both am used to OS X and I'm not very good at shooters.

How do you play shooters with a trackpad? :psyduck: (I know, poorly).

The occasional game and some precision image editing tasks are really the only things I use a for mouse anymore; The magic trackpad + BetterTouchTool has won me over completely for normal computer use.

gently caress touch screens on laptops/desktops, a good multitouch trackpad is where it's at!

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

NOTinuyasha posted:

Try SmoothMouse. It has a 'like in Windows' setting that works really well. Alternatively, Microsoft's Intellipoint drivers have a similar setting, but that only works for Microsoft mice and it's kind of lovely and unstable.

Oh poo poo, thanks for linking this. I've been following the blog of the dude behind this since the project's inception and somehow missed the entry that it actually got released.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

NOTinuyasha posted:

This... this changes everything

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

keevo posted:

Like Japtor said, it will do folder-to-folder or drive-to-drive just fine. You don't have to buy it outright - I think you get a month unlicensed to try it out.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

If anyone was curious, SmoothMouse's default velocity setting has no interpolation, same as Windows' 6/11.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does Time Machine work better with some sort of network attached storage compared to a locally attached one? Time Machine loves to poo poo itself and tell me the disk has become read only. This problem has been across multiple disks, os x versions, connections (usb 2.0 and fw 800). It works one days and randomly fails the next, requiring me to come in and disconnect the external drive and let it sit for a minute before hooking it back up.

Alternatively, is there a better backup solution on OS X?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Does Time Machine work better with some sort of network attached storage compared to a locally attached one? Time Machine loves to poo poo itself and tell me the disk has become read only. This problem has been across multiple disks, os x versions, connections (usb 2.0 and fw 800). It works one days and randomly fails the next, requiring me to come in and disconnect the external drive and let it sit for a minute before hooking it back up.

What drive are you using? I had those exact same symptoms when I was using a 3.5" internal disk loaded into one of those Thermaltake BlacX toaster things. That problem was clearly hardware specific in my case - I've been using Time Machine for as long as it has existed as a feature and it's been nothing but solid in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I've been using Time Machine for years with a local FW800 drive and have had zero issues.