Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was trying to think of an answer to the "biggest flaw" question as well (not relevant to me, I have a steady job and am not looking but hey just in case, right?) and this was what came to mind:

"My biggest flaw is that I tend to procrastinate, but as a result I have learned to prioritize well and do my best work under pressure."

Or something of that nature. Would that be an instant GET OUT answer or would that cover the bases of "real flaw plus positive traits" and work as an acceptable answer?

I haven't done a job interview in over 5 years and probably used the "I am a perfectionist! :downsgun: " line in my last one. I went into that interview without having the advertised requirements of grantwriting experience, but I talked my way into the job by explaining that while I've never written a grant, I know how to write and I can learn. It paid off -- they gave me a shot and I learned how to write grants which now keep me employed. This just goes back to what was mentioned earlier about not knowing what detailing was. Even if you don't have the experience, demonstrating a related skill you can build from and/or a willingness to learn will go a long way. Although if you spin a line of bullshit like that, hopefully you can back it up if you end up with the job.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
A speech professor in college explained it to me best: have at least 3 things you want the interviewer to know about you by the end of the interview. Those open-ended interview questions are just a way to see how good you are at thinking on your feet when it comes to getting that pertinent information out there.

Carlos Spicywiener
Sep 8, 2011

Moustache fart.
Every time I log onto SA and see this thread has 60+ unread posts, I think that OP has found a job and people are flocking to congratulate him.

God drat you OP.

God drat you.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is "perfectionist" really that bad? I know it's the cliche answer. I always thought of it as the "we both know this is a bullshit question that everyone lies about, so let's just move on" response. It shows that you're savvy enough to lie about it but understand that you understand how to go with the flow and put up with workplace bullshit.

I don't think I'd ever hire someone dumb enough to give a straight answer.

Some interviewers like the by-the-books answer and some will roll their eyes at the standard answers. Unfortunately you never know ahead which one you have, so either pick one (honest but not abysmal vs model-drone employee) and hope for the best or try to find a middle road.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Ben, I am not going to be cruel and share any of the things you wrote that you shared with me, but you really need to dial back the 'WRITING! I'M A WRITER!" stuff. In and out of an interview. As someone else said, frame it as a hobby. Don't say you see yourself as published in X years, because that suggests you'll drop the job like a spicy keychain if anything better comes along, including getting published. There's nothing wrong with actually doing that, but you don't want your potential employers to realize you'll do it.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm just imagining the ridicule Benny will get from the managers from showing up to a lovely retail job interview wearing a suit.
Also, every employer on the planet knows a person with a BA in English Literature isn't a "perfectionist."

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Relax and take notes, bitches...

Question: "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
Answer: "It depends on where I find myself, within the department. By then, I hope to have the skills necessary to take on more of a leadership role, in faith that the company continues to grow."

Question: "What are your largest strengths/weaknesses."
Answer: "Strength is being able to organize processes/task delegation/timeframe prior to starting projects. Weakness is having to ad hoc with little to no direction, organization or planning. If a project has gotten out of control, I find it easier to hault production, gather everyone up and come up with a solution to better organize/map out our objective."

trollby posted:

If you guys aren't going to let the suit thing drop: you are broke. Once you have escaped your immediate situation, if that ever happens, then you can do stuff like check your local thrift store now and then for a jacket that fits and isn't all hosed up and stupid looking. It might take a while.

Yes, wear one of those goony brown-leather jackets to work. That'll impress all the greasers over in the sales department. Be sure to slick your hair back with Vaseline and don't forget the toothpick, ya mook.

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 4, 2013

toby
Dec 4, 2002

waste of internet posted:

Yes, wear one of those goony brown-leather jackets to work. That'll impress all the greasers over in the sales department. Be sure to slick your hair back with Vaseline and don't forget the toothpick, ya mook.

Did you bump your head or something, where did you get "leather greaser jacket" from a conversation about suit jackets

The dude is broke and unemployed, his options for suit jacket purchasing are going to be pretty slim, and there's a good chance that once in a while something passable will show up at a goodwill or the like. I think he should ignore the suit jacket bit anyway, he's not applying for jobs where that's appropriate and I seriously doubt the reason he isn't employed yet is "doesn't show up wearing a suit jacket"

toby fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 4, 2013

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___
Yeah, exactly, his problem is not his jacket. No one is thinking "well, he was a fine candidate, shame about his fashion sense." Most of the jobs he's applying for require a uniform, name tag, and possibly a hairnet anyway, not a suit.

And really, interviewing is not about coming up with a line - unless you want to sound like the last ten interviewees, because believe me, the interviewer has heard it before. Interviewing is about finding whether or not you are good fit for the job, and the job is a good fit for you. Be honest. And make sure your goals align with the company's goals. Don't know them? Do some research in advance of the interview!

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Ed Mungo posted:

I was trying to think of an answer to the "biggest flaw" question as well (not relevant to me, I have a steady job and am not looking but hey just in case, right?) and this was what came to mind:

"My biggest flaw is that I tend to procrastinate, but as a result I have learned to prioritize well and do my best work under pressure."

Or something of that nature. Would that be an instant GET OUT answer or would that cover the bases of "real flaw plus positive traits" and work as an acceptable answer?

I haven't done a job interview in over 5 years and probably used the "I am a perfectionist! :downsgun: " line in my last one. I went into that interview without having the advertised requirements of grantwriting experience, but I talked my way into the job by explaining that while I've never written a grant, I know how to write and I can learn. It paid off -- they gave me a shot and I learned how to write grants which now keep me employed. This just goes back to what was mentioned earlier about not knowing what detailing was. Even if you don't have the experience, demonstrating a related skill you can build from and/or a willingness to learn will go a long way. Although if you spin a line of bullshit like that, hopefully you can back it up if you end up with the job.

I don't think your biggest flaw response is an instant GET OUT. I might flip it around and leave out the actual word "procrastinate" though, so it's more like "Since I do my best work under pressure, I tend to postpone non-urgent projects until the deadline is approaching. However, I've learned to prioritize well, so I'm able to get things done on time." That way, you're leading with a positive (I'm great at handling work under pressure!), closing with a positive (I'm great at prioritizing!) and burying the negative part (I put off work until the last minute) in the middle. Since "procrastinate" is a pretty harsh term, you can soften your answer by using language like "postpone" and "deadline approaching."

In my mind, a lot of the tired responses like "perfectionist" can be used more effectively if reworded, same as your procrastination response. You just have to find a good way of explaining it and couch the flaw between some positives.

Fabulist posted:

Ben, I am not going to be cruel and share any of the things you wrote that you shared with me, but you really need to dial back the 'WRITING! I'M A WRITER!" stuff. In and out of an interview. As someone else said, frame it as a hobby. Don't say you see yourself as published in X years, because that suggests you'll drop the job like a spicy keychain if anything better comes along, including getting published. There's nothing wrong with actually doing that, but you don't want your potential employers to realize you'll do it.

Exactly. If you're not interviewing for a job that requires writing, don't lead with it. Employers like people who are passionate about things, but only if they're not so passionate that they'll quit their day job at the first opportunity to get paid for their hobby.

Relax and take notes, bitches...

Question: "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
Answer: "It depends on where I find myself, within the department. By then, I hope to have the skills necessary to take on more of a leadership role, in faith that the company continues to grow."

Question: "What are your largest strengths/weaknesses."
Answer: "Strength is being able to organize processes/task delegation/timeframe prior to starting projects. Weakness is having to ad hoc with little to no direction, organization or planning. If a project has gotten out of control, I find it easier to hault production, gather everyone up and come up with a solution to better organize/map out our objective."

Not bad, my friend, not bad at all. :golfclap:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

the runs formula posted:

Also, every employer on the planet knows a person with a BA in English Literature isn't a "perfectionist."

Pttttthb. :rant:

I'd like to cosign everything Sunshine89 said, for it is full of wisdom. In particular, I revoke my original remarks and agree that a suit is not a short-term priority. A lot of people have said the same thing in different ways, but it needs condensing:

You are sabotaging yourself by giving up too early.

At the slightest discouragement, you stop trying. See the interview question about detailing, where you answered "no" instead of racking your brains for a positive answer. See your approach to the job fair, where you only applied for two jobs. I have been that unhappy, and I recognize the feeling of hopelessness. However, giving into that feeling will not get you out of the well. You need to pretend to be confident even though you are not. Don't pretend to be completely qualified, don't pretend to be perfect, just pretend that you're worth something and that the employer will be lucky to get you. Acting despairing and desperate (as opposed to feeling d. and d.) creeps interviewers out. Instead, act like you're cheerful and willing to learn fast.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
For the umpteenth time, He wasn't asked if he knew about detailing... he was asked to detail his automotive history/background/experience/knowledge.

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

Devyl posted:

For the umpteenth time, He wasn't asked if he knew about detailing... he was asked to detail his automotive history/background/experience/knowledge.

That very inability to understand a very basic question pertinent to the job makes it worse. Plus, if you have no background, you say, "My background in that is limited, but I've been in situations before like job A, B and C, where I had to learn on the fly, and I enjoyed the chance to expand my knowledge and abilities, so I think I'd have the capacity to pick up what's needed for the job pretty quickly."

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Devyl posted:

Yeah, I don't know why people haven't picked up on that in this thread. Making a basic mistake like that indicates problems with reading people's nuances and intents, which will definitely hinder you at the interview stage. OP, if you look at the BFC resume/interview thread I'm sure there are people who would sit down and give a practice interview with you over Skype. Have you considered that?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

trollby posted:

Did you bump your head or something, where did you get "leather greaser jacket" from a conversation about suit jackets

The dude is broke and unemployed, his options for suit jacket purchasing are going to be pretty slim, and there's a good chance that once in a while something passable will show up at a goodwill or the like. I think he should ignore the suit jacket bit anyway, he's not applying for jobs where that's appropriate and I seriously doubt the reason he isn't employed yet is "doesn't show up wearing a suit jacket"

There are charities that give suits and smart work clothes to unemployed people. I don't recall whether the OP told us his location, but if he's near any larger cities then he may be able to get help.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

netally posted:

There are charities that give suits and smart work clothes to unemployed people. I don't recall whether the OP told us his location, but if he's near any larger cities then he may be able to get help.
Well I'll look into buying one from my local thrift store. Wonder if I could find one in a Goodwill. I'll definitely look into renting a suit jacket. I've also got a buddy who's my size who I could ask to borrow a jacket from.

EDIT: I've got an interview next Tuesday at 4PM. I applied to a Hollister at my local mall and scheduled an interview. Hopefully this will lead to something better. Interestingly enough, all that's required is a four-year degree in order to become a manager. But since a management position would take time for them to respond, I just applied for a shift position. Time to start looking into a suit jacket. Or since I'm applying for a retail position, should I just keep it semi-casual?

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 5, 2013

toby
Dec 4, 2002

You do not need a suit jacket for an interview at Hollister. I keep typing the words: you do not need a suit jacket right now, just a nice shirt that doesn't look like an ill-fitting dishrag

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

trollby posted:

You do not need a suit jacket for an interview at Hollister. I keep typing the words: you do not need a suit jacket right now, just a nice shirt that doesn't look like an ill-fitting dishrag
I actually asked an employee what's the Hollister look. For this season they're pushing blue. So I'm ironing a nice blue button-up. Now to practice my interviewing skills.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Benny the Snake posted:

Interestingly enough, all that's required is a four-year degree in order to become a manager. But since a management position would take time for them to respond

Be real, here. Do you really think you could handle a management position?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

kimbo305 posted:

Be real, here. Do you really think you could handle a management position?
Not really. Leading interns was one thing but leading employees is another. So I'm only signing up for a shift position.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Benny the Snake posted:

I actually asked an employee what's the Hollister look. For this season they're pushing blue. So I'm ironing a nice blue button-up. Now to practice my interviewing skills.

Just to confirm: you were standing in the actual Hollister store, surrounded by displays, clothing and mannequins and you asked a potential fellow employee what the "look" was?

P.S. the correct answer to what to wear to a Hollister interview is your modeling face and a Hollister outfit. They're a preppy lifestyle brand, and they want their employees to look the part. A quick google of Hollister employment questions shows that they ask things about how you'd describe the brand, etc.

... This isn't the place for you. Go on the interview of course, but no patting yourself on the back quite yet.

Eris fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 5, 2013

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

Eris posted:

Just to confirm: you were standing in the actual Hollister store, surrounded by displays, clothing and mannequins and you asked a potential fellow employee what the "look" was?

P.S. the correct answer to what to wear to a Hollister interview is your modeling face and a Hollister outfit. They're a preppy lifestyle brand, and they want their employees to look the part. A quick google of Hollister employment questions shows that they ask things about how you'd describe the brand, etc.

... This isn't the place for you. Go on the interview of course, but no patting yourself on the back quite yet.

To be fair, he could probably get away with American Eagle or Aeropostale, something in the same general style/price range as opposed to a purely Hollister outfit ...

Last time I interviewed for fashion retail, there were lots of questions about where you look to for style influences, how you follow fashion trends, that kind of thing. :allears: Would you know how to answer those kinds of questions, Benny? If not, do some actual research this time BEFORE the interview.

The more I think about it, the funnier a choice fashion retail is for him. I support this wholeheartedly.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
OP after all this thread has done for you, the very least you can do in return is post a picture of you standing outside Hollister in your Goodwill interview jacket.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Jesus loving christ, forget about the suit jacket. First, you do not loving need it. It is a waste of resources for retail unless you are going to be a suit salesman. Do not buy one. Do not rent one

Second, the whole point of a suit is that it's, well, a suit. If you just buy a jacket, you have an orphaned suit jacket and mismatching pants, and it will look wrong and be a waste of money.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Man it's too bad book stores are so much rarer than they used to be. That's where I worked while I was going to school for my teaching credential and it was all full of English majors who didn't want or couldn't get other jobs. English majors were actually desired in the upscale book store where I worked because they actually wanted people who knew a certain amount about books.

It was a decent job, paid slightly higher than minimum wage and came with vacation time and health care if you worked at least 32 hours a week. Book stores aren't easy to find any more, but maybe you could check around?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chexmix posted:

Last time I interviewed for fashion retail, there were lots of questions about where you look to for style influences, how you follow fashion trends, that kind of thing. :allears: Would you know how to answer those kinds of questions, Benny? If not, do some actual research this time BEFORE the interview.
Let's be concrete. He's going to hit the library. Should he be reading GQ? Esquire? The Times's weekly style magazine, T?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
The interview starts at four. There's a bookstore in that mall, so I'm going to brush up on fashion before the interview. GQ, Esquire, etc. I'll also hit up their sites before Tuesday. And yeah I'm out of my element, but I took a chance and figured that the worse they could say is that there weren't any positions open at all. I spoke to the manager and she told me there was, or at least I'm positive she said so. What's got me in a tizzy especially is how I was able to schedule my own interview. Either Hollister has a really high turnover rate or they're that successful. Or I'm just overthinking it.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

And........I am out. There is no way this is believable. Good job troll (or worse yet this is real).

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Chexmix posted:

To be fair, he could probably get away with American Eagle or Aeropostale, something in the same general style/price range as opposed to a purely Hollister outfit ...

The more I think about it, the funnier a choice fashion retail is for him. I support this wholeheartedly.

I actually wouldn't advise clothing from a competitor, especially since the branding is always really obvious in this segment. I've worked retail in the past, and managers can get pretty touchy about that stuff. If he doesn't have an outfit from Hollister, he should wear something in the same general style (a polo shirt, a pair of nice jeans that fit well), without any visible logos.

something clever posted:

And........I am out. There is no way this is believable. Good job troll (or worse yet this is real).

As long as he spoke to an employee who'd be a peer of his (oh God, you didn't ask your future interviewer, did you?) it's really not that bad. Yeah, he should be able to figure out their general look by wandering around a store or checking the website, but it doesn't hurt to hear from a current employee what management thinks is the most important aspect of their current clothing line.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 5, 2013

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Just chiming in to say that it's not impossible to work clothing retail without caring about fashion. I did, and the questions they asked at interview were like 'what would you do if you saw someone stealing money from the till?' and 'if there was an emergency, would you stay and work extra hours?'. I knew/know nothing about fashion. Not saying that's how the OP's interview will go, but it can and does happen.

Also, I wish book stores wanted to employ English Lit graduates. If they had, it might have gotten me out of my lovely clothing retail job a little faster than the two years it actually took me to find a better job. I never even got an interview for a bookstore, despite applying every time I saw one with an opening.

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

PurePerfection posted:

I actually wouldn't advise clothing from a competitor, especially since the branding is always really obvious in this segment. I've worked retail in the past, and managers can get pretty touchy about that stuff. If he doesn't have an outfit from Hollister, he should wear something in the same general style (a polo shirt, a pair of nice jeans that fit well), without any visible logos.

I thought something without hugely visible logos was a given, whoops. I shouldn't have assumed. I didn't wear GAP when interviewing at the GAP flagship, but I made sure to wear an outfit close to what they were doing that season. (Got offered a position but had to turn it down because they kept asking me to come in during classes when I specifically said I wasn't available ...) But yeah, OP, listen to this person instead.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
If you get the job at Hollister, be ready to end up buying that season's clothing from Hollister. A friend of mine worked there and she told me that the employees had to buy the new clothes from the store as they came out and wear them to work.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Benny the Snake posted:

What's got me in a tizzy especially is how I was able to schedule my own interview. Either Hollister has a really high turnover rate or they're that successful. Or I'm just overthinking it.

You scheduled your own interview for almost a week after you applied? Why not ... the next day? It's retail!

And don't say you needed prep time since your big research plan is to read a book on fashion the hour before the interview.

My brain hurts reading this thread. We can all debate suit chat and perfectionism but it to sounds like something else is really going on here.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Eris posted:

You scheduled your own interview for almost a week after you applied? Why not ... the next day? It's retail!

You need time to overthink and self sabotage, of course. :buddy:

Castle Bidimar
Mar 27, 2012

by T. Finninho
OP, do you have a good CV up on literally every single site you possibly can? Do you update it weekly so it's constantly at the top of lists? Because I'd like to tell you what happened to me in the past 24 hours.

I got called 1pm yesterday by a recruiter; do I want to pass my CV along for a role at a company they represent? Of course I do.
They called me back 3pm; the company like my CV and would like to interview me, can I make the next day in a town over? Unfortunately I have an appointment that'd clash because of travel and they can't make a later time.
At 5pm, another call; the company will meet me at a hotel nearer me - they're actually making 3/4 of the journey towards me. First thing in the morning, so I can travel and keep the other appointment.
At 8am today I had the interview, lasted through to 9am.
at 10am I got a call from the initial recruiter. They like me, they want to know my feelings following the interview. I told them it seemed a good fit.
at 11am, A final call, The job's mine if I want it.

Here I am at 12:30pm the next day. Less than 24 hours later, I've confirmed my acceptance of their offer.

Now I'm not saying this will happen to you, but It's happened to me and my employment history is probably worse than yours. But I didn't just search for jobs myself, I put out so many online billboards for myself and kept them up there for all to see that eventually someone saw it and liked it.

There are people who's job is to find talented people for other jobs. Double your output and make sure they can find you.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
The fact that you're running off to a loving book store to "learn" fashion aesthetics is some epic goon sperg poo poo right there.

"I need a job right now!"
*schedules interview a week later*

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Eris posted:

They schedule interviews twice a week, and that was the closest day.

And no, I didn't ask the manager about the employee look. I asked some random guy working there.

the runs formula posted:

The fact that you're running off to a loving book store to "learn" fashion aesthetics is some epic goon sperg poo poo right there.
Somebody suggested it on this thread. And on second thought it was rather :spergin: of me to consider it. Right now I have to ensure that my interview goes smoothly by practicing an interview.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
/\ OP, focus on learning a few sales tactics. I doubt they give a poo poo about your fashion sense. I'm sure you'd get fired for telling a customer that a product looks bad on them. Every time I've ever had a sales associate assist me with a purchase, they've always just rolled along with whatever I said.

Me: "This looks pretty good. I like the way it goes with blue jeans."
Them: "Yea, looks good. That would go with any style of jeans, too, not just the blue jeans you have on."

Me: "Nah, I don't like it. I don't have the body type to pull off a V-Neck."
Them: "Yea, you're more of a broad shouldered guy. V-necks are for the more slender body type. come on over here and check out the crew necks we have on sale!"

Me: "I dunno, I'm sorta on the fence about it."
Them: "Lemme grab you some more stuff so you can try it on, with a different outfit."

It certainly isn't The Devil Wears Prada where they're gonna tell you "fabulous, you look wonderful" vs "EEEWW! That outfit is utterly GHASTLY!"

Benny the Snake posted:

This is the first proactive thing you've posted about. Keep doing stuff like this.

Benny the Snake posted:

The interview starts at four. There's a bookstore in that mall, so I'm going to brush up on fashion before the interview. GQ, Esquire, etc. I'll also hit up their sites before Tuesday. And yeah I'm out of my element, but I took a chance and figured that the worse they could say is that there weren't any positions open at all. I spoke to the manager and she told me there was, or at least I'm positive she said so. What's got me in a tizzy especially is how I was able to schedule my own interview. Either Hollister has a really high turnover rate or they're that successful. Or I'm just overthinking it.

Right frame of mind here, but they'll probably want you more for folding, organizing and telling people that it looks great. Something tells me that the people working mall based, apparel chains aren't "fashion experts." They just sell sell sell, then tidy up the store.

something clever posted:

Oh come on! I'd pay good money to watch footage of a goon working in Hollister/Abercrombie. I hear that part of the training/customer approach style is acting like a douche from SoCal. You're supposed to be all "Sup brah?" when a dude walks in, or something. Maybe that's another store, I dunno, either way, I'm just picturing a neckbeard trying to act all "burnt out surfer," while scaring away all the high school girls.

"Come over and see my comic book collection. He-he, this one time, my mom tried to take them away from me! And don't even get me started on my annoying brother, with whom I'm forced to co-exist with, under the same living establishment."

PurePerfection posted:

OP, look this up! I think Aero/Abercrombie or some other lovely clothing stores fall under the same corporate umbrella. I know at least a few typical mall clothing stores are owned by the same company. I forget if Hollister is one of them.

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 5, 2013

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Chexmix posted:

I thought something without hugely visible logos was a given, whoops. I shouldn't have assumed. I didn't wear GAP when interviewing at the GAP flagship, but I made sure to wear an outfit close to what they were doing that season. (Got offered a position but had to turn it down because they kept asking me to come in during classes when I specifically said I wasn't available ...) But yeah, OP, listen to this person instead.

Ha, yeah, I figured you knew that, but it's really, really hard to find something from AE/Aero/Abercrombie/Hollister/etc. that isn't covered in logos and doesn't have the brand name on it somewhere, and I don't want Benny thinking "Well, that big-rear end embroidered eagle on my favorite t-shirt is pretty neutral, I'll wear this!"

GAP's not nearly so bad as the other stores in question. They actually sell a lot of stuff with subtle logos or none at all. Benny, if you have reasonably stylish GAP stuff, it's not a bad choice.

And if you don't have anything without logos, go outside of their segment. Wear a polo with a Tommy Hilfiger or Ralph Lauren logo with Levi's or something. Almost the same style, but they don't compete quite as directly.

OP, look this up! I think Aero/Abercrombie or some other lovely clothing stores fall under the same corporate umbrella. I know at least a few typical mall clothing stores are owned by the same company. I forget if Hollister is one of them.

Hollister Co. is a fully-owned subsidiary of Abercrombie & Fitch. If you have A&F clothing, that may be acceptable here.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Namarrgon posted:

Some interviewers like the by-the-books answer and some will roll their eyes at the standard answers. Unfortunately you never know ahead which one you have, so either pick one (honest but not abysmal vs model-drone employee) and hope for the best or try to find a middle road.

This is why you use hobbies to fish this out as far as I'm concerned. The OP's got a genuine interest in reading, listening to music is an easy gimme, and depending on who you're talking to (especially fast food people that are probably his age anyways) say that occasionally if you can find the down time between work and school and helping out around the house you might play a video game, if the interview seems casual. Usually that will be enough general hooks to make someone who's gonna be casual enough to talk a bit start talking, and someone who's looking for more conservative answers is going to say "hm, I see" and write it down in their notepad instead.

poo poo, I got my first job by talking counter-strike with a guy, though it was fast food.

Right frame of mind here, but they'll probably want you more for folding, organizing and telling people that it looks great. Something tells me that the people working mall based, apparel chains aren't "fashion experts." They just sell sell sell, then tidy up the store.

Oh come on! I'd pay good money to watch footage of a goon working in Hollister/Abercrombie. I hear that part of the training/customer approach style is acting like a douche from SoCal. You're supposed to be all "Sup brah?" when a dude walks in, or something. Maybe that's another store, I dunno, either way, I'm just picturing a neckbeard trying to act all "burnt out surfer," while scaring away all the high school girls.

"Hey..... ladies."

• Locked thread