Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amazon is fine as long as they are the seller and not some third-party. Should say: "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com." I don't think they ever charge over retail, occasionally have 20% or 30% on particular sets, and the shipping is free and no tax.

OTOH, buying from Lego directly gets you VIP points which give you back 5% of the order. And there are exclusive sets that Amazon never will sell direct. But Lego pretty much always charges list price.

So, at the moment, Amazon has the Pet Shop for $150 shipped. Lego wants $150 + $13 shipping + $10 tax = $173.29, but then it is double VIP points this month so you get 300 points or $15 in future credit. And you get a $5 keychain. So for big sets, Lego is usually not too bad a deal. For small individual sets, I would always buy from Amazon, or locally from Target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
So after impulse-buying a TIE Fighter polybag during a rare trip to Target, I find myself with a burgeoning Lego addiction. I've since picked up one of the smaller Galaxy Squad sets and a City police chopper. It's been super fun and nostalgic building ships, speeder bikes, and mechs with the limited array of parts I have (though I did find a few spare Technic/Bionicle-ish pieces from a General Grievous vehicle set in a drawer). I've just been picking up a small set whenever I go to resupply on dog food, but I'm wondering if there are any particularly good places to buy Lego in the NYC area.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I really love the colors on this, it looks very soothing and comfy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brickthing/8608000984/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
My last trip to TRU netted gently caress-all: anyone have some extra Forest Maidens and Space Orks to trade?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

My last trip to TRU netted gently caress-all: anyone have some extra Forest Maidens and Space Orks to trade?

I have a extra Space Orc I picked up on accident if you want to work a mini figure trade.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Get your grove on in Lego themed fantasy suites at the Lego Hotel

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
What is the timeline on the Back to the Future set(s)?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Red posted:

1885, 1955, 1985 and 2015

Red
Apr 15, 2003

InfinEight posted:

1885, 1955, 1985 and 2015

I have only myself to blame for that one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Red posted:

While I understand why it takes so long (to an extent) it definitely feels like Cussoo is a bit of a failed experiment at this point.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

While I understand why it takes so long (to an extent) it definitely feels like Cussoo is a bit of a failed experiment at this point.

I can wait, I just hope BTTF isn't one small set that hoarding buyers try to sell for 4x the profit.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Red posted:

I can wait, I just hope BTTF isn't one small set that hoarding buyers try to sell for 4x the profit.

Anything in limited quantity will be scalped by someone. Hopefully LEGO does like it did with Minecraft and have a steady release schedule to thwart the secondary market.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I think the main issue is that the quarterly review is just not going to go that fast if there are licenses involved. Minecraft was a special case since Mojang was completely onboard.

Thing should improve as more projects go to review, since the pipeline will fill up. It was just the first quarterly review + long review time that was unfortunate.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Rythe posted:

I have a extra Space Orc I picked up on accident if you want to work a mini figure trade.

Just PM'd you. Also remembered I have one or two extra policemen if you want them for the uniform cap

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Toys R Us is selling the 7066 Alien Conquest Earth Defense set for $65.98. I can't quite pull the trigger on it, but that shouldn't stop you from doing so.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
So apparently Lego is going to stop producing Jabba's Palace at the end of this year! They're saying it was normally scheduled to end this year and it has nothing to do with the complaints about it being "anti-muslim," but one year is a really short cycle especially for a popular set(or at least in my opinion). I should probably pick one up when it goes on sale on amazon before scalpers raise it to some ridiculous amount next year.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Crazy Pigeon posted:

So apparently Lego is going to stop producing Jabba's Palace at the end of this year! They're saying it was normally scheduled to end this year and it has nothing to do with the complaints about it being "anti-muslim," but one year is a really short cycle especially for a popular set(or at least in my opinion). I should probably pick one up when it goes on sale on amazon before scalpers raise it to some ridiculous amount next year.

Oh son of a bitch. Time to start hunting, I guess. Or I'll just shell out for a secondary-market Jabba and Salicious Crumb and frozen Han.

Actually it might be better to just buy it outright.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

einTier posted:

Toys R Us is selling the 7066 Alien Conquest Earth Defense set for $65.98. I can't quite pull the trigger on it, but that shouldn't stop you from doing so.

Everyone should buy this, it's badass as hell.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Crazy Pigeon posted:

What complaints were there, Anti-Muslim? Sorry if this is a well known thing, I just never heard of it? I got it on clearance at Walmart, just need to get the Rancor pit to go with it.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Some crazy idiot posted:

Furious Muslim critics complained that the Lego set's Asian and oriental figures were "deceitful and criminal" characters such as gun-runners, slave masters and terrorists.

"This sort of thing does not belong in a child's bedroom," said Melissa Gunes, a spokeswoman for Austria's Turkish Cultural Association. Critics also claimed that the palace had an uncanny resemblance to Istanbul's Hagia Sophia mosque. "The game is pedagogical dynamite. It depicts Muslims as terrorists," the TCA complained, adding that Jabba was shown to be a "terrorist who likes to smoke hookah and have his victims killed".

It was pretty far out there.

Edit: Also, I'm now going to use "pedagogical dynamite" all the time, completely out of context and randomly.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Poisonlizard posted:

It was pretty far out there.

Edit: Also, I'm now going to use "pedagogical dynamite" all the time, completely out of context and randomly.

That would be a fabulous user name, TBQH

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bought a box of Series 9 minifigs and would like to do some swaps with my spares, preferably for more than two figures in a trade, and at a 1 for 1 trade. I might be able to sweeten the deal for the Jekyll guys since they don't have their flasks. Everything is opened and assembled.

I have:

4 Cyclops
3 Jekyll/Hydes(no Flasks)
3 Cops
2 Mermaids
2 Caesars
2 Judges

I'm interested in these Series 9:

Waiters
Roller Derby Girls
Forest Maidens
Plumbers
Space Raiders/Knights/the Gundam-ey robot dudes, these three depend on what you want for'em since I've already got a bunch.

edit: you must be in the US for us to trade, international shipping makes it not worth it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I bought a box of Series 9 minifigs and would like to do some swaps with my spares, preferably for more than two figures in a trade, and at a 1 for 1 trade. I might be able to sweeten the deal for the Jekyll guys since they don't have their flasks. Everything is opened and assembled.

I have:

4 Cyclops
3 Jekyll/Hydes(no Flasks)
3 Cops
2 Mermaids
2 Caesars
2 Judges

I'm interested in these Series 9:

Waiters
Roller Derby Girls
Forest Maidens
Plumbers
Space Raiders/Knights/the Gundam-ey robot dudes, these three depend on what you want for'em since I've already got a bunch.

edit: you must be in the US for us to trade, international shipping makes it not worth it.

Need a Jekyl & Hyde and I have a knight. I'm in the states.

Here's my full list:

Have
S3
Tennis girl
Baseball player

S5
Graduate x2
Jazzercise girl x2
Boxer
Sherlock x2
Zookeeper x4
Lumberjack

S6
Mechanic
Skater girl
Surgeon x2
Latin dancer girl
Highlander x2
Minotaur

S7
Space marine
Bunny guy x2
Hippy
Viking girl

S8
Bat boy
Football player x3
Cheerleader x2
Alien queen x2
Music fan x2
Shakespeare
Snow ski girl
Cowgirl

S9
Judge
Chicken
Cyclops

Want

S1
Cowboy

S2
Mariachi

S3
Elf
Space villain

S4
Viking

S6
Roman soldier

S7
Aztec
Daredevil

S8
Lederhosen guy

S9
Hollywood starlet
Alien avenger
Forest maiden
Mr. Good and Evil

Also I know they're in high demand but I couldn't mind an extra Spartan and Gladiator

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Are space orc guys supposed to be hard to find or something? The current series finally made its way to my stores and I found two with pretty much no effort. That giant chest piece tends to bulge out of the package; you don't even have to feel for it or anything.

I still need to find a knight, though. Or ten. :negative:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FadingChord posted:

Are space orc guys supposed to be hard to find or something? The current series finally made its way to my stores and I found two with pretty much no effort. That giant chest piece tends to bulge out of the package; you don't even have to feel for it or anything.

I still need to find a knight, though. Or ten. :negative:

The Orcs are amongst the most common, if you want them there's a few guys on Bricklink with them for like 2 bucks each and hundreds in stock. It's pretty crazy.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Well drat, I should have gotten mine that way. I wanted a squad to match my half dozen Space Marines, but only found three at the local candy store. :toot:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

hooray

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

What am i looking at here? Could you explain?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

AzMiLion posted:

What am i looking at here? Could you explain?

It's his custom 3-speed Mindstorms engine to power a Lego ClutchVIBES "personal massager".

Lego ClutchVIBES: It's Studded for Her Pleasure

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's his custom 3-speed Mindstorms engine to power a Lego ClutchVIBES "personal massager".

Lego ClutchVIBES: It's Studded for Her Pleasure

I looked at it to figure out what parts would go where and :gonk:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
With the portal axles and the balljoint it looks like he's gearing up to build the Unimog.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Yup, it's unimog.

:words: steering and suspension geometry on the stock unimog is awful, this corrects most of those issues. Huge negative caster, and a pivot point close to the centerline (spacing of 7, with a total width of 22) opposed to the center of the wheel.

as opposed to

Which moves the steering axis out by 4, reduces the force needed for steering, and has auto centering steering

Only very slight negative caster now.

As much as I like the Unimog, it needs some work to work better. Namely, the steering and suspension, but also the location of the battery box overwhelming the springs, the lack of an air tank for the pneumatics, and the knob steering.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Saw this on the lego twitter today, the winning Lego Technic Challenge entry:

loving awesome build, anyone know if they offer these as a kit eventually? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Chenghiz posted:

Saw this on the lego twitter today, the winning Lego Technic Challenge entry:

loving awesome build, anyone know if they offer these as a kit eventually? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

They will. It's going to be a limited edition kit (total of 20,000) and only be available from Lego. Lot of talk about the price, but it's probably going to be more expensive than the regular 4x4 crawler (which is $249)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I was doing my usual craigslist scouring for Lego deals and came across this one. The fact that this kid was building a huge city scene, had it crash to the ground in pieces, and the parents and kid said "oh well, we'll sell the poo poo!" rather than put it back together makes me laugh.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tag/3726047693.html

Or if you recently won the lottery...
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tag/3716376682.html
Dr. Brian Darrow people!

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 6, 2013

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

amazon.fr has boxes of series 10 listed as in stock and shipping today, for 118 euros. According to the eurobricks review they contain 2 full sets and various spares. (link)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I went to a Target (in Southern Maryland) that had a random box of Series 6 sitting out for $2.99 each. Try your luck.

Red fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 7, 2013

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

I was doing my usual craigslist scouring for Lego deals and came across this one. The fact that this kid was building a huge city scene, had it crash to the ground in pieces, and the parents and kid said "oh well, we'll sell the poo poo!" rather than put it back together makes me laugh.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tag/3726047693.html

Or if you recently won the lottery...
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tag/3716376682.html
Dr. Brian Darrow people!

Just scored Death Star, Super Star Destroyer, Robie House, Fallingwater, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium for 900 bucks after clicking on these links and wondering what else was out there.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Just scored Death Star, Super Star Destroyer, Robie House, Fallingwater, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium for 900 bucks after clicking on these links and wondering what else was out there.

Goddamn, either someone was super broke, or they have no idea. Just in piece count alone that should have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

The Rage posted:

Goddamn, either someone was super broke, or they have no idea. Just in piece count alone that should have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than that.

Well, none are EOL yet. All those are "only" $1400 new in the box from LEGO.com. It also doesn't say if these included the box and the instructions. Not a bad deal, but not screaming either.