Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Iacen posted:

It seems like Wii U owners might have dodged a bullet with Aliens: Colonial Marines:

Source

I'm not sure anyone is sad about it.

Apparently the version made for the WiiU was the worst version and was deemed unplayable which is why I'm guessing it's been taken off the roster.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/02/rumour_aliens_colonial_marines_tester_says_wii_u_version_is_the_worst

quote:

Oh wow. Yes okay. I was hoping someone would ask this. I have played the WiiU version. The one that is supposedly the best of all of them? It is not. It is the worst. It is a bit of a joke. The WiiU is basically the same game as the console version but with framerate issues, worse texture loading, and horrendously misguided minigames thrown in. You get a ‘scanner’ to scan enemies and get bonus points that aid your harming them. When you cut open doors (which happens a lot in the game) you have a game where you have to keep the heat ‘optimal’. They just add frustration, and take away even more from the fun. We don’t know if it will come out, Sega are conisdering canceling it, but right now its still going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

The Wii was obviously a stand alone in that respect-- which is the main reason I'm not extremely hopeful that Wii U Fit will make a big difference: that audience still thinks the Wii U is a new controller.
Selling a similar looking console with a game that looks identical to a game on the previous console probably won't fix the confusion.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Despite the attach rate of the original Wii, I'm still convinced that a really significant percentage of Wii owners consider Wii Sports to be "The Wii" and have no interest in Wii U because that's all they need.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I honestly think the minute a new mario or zelda comes out, sales will boost up.

Unless the new Mario is another Galaxy... and unless they push back a new Zelda announcement a few years in lieu of their Wind Waker remake. Unfortunately, both of those things are very possible. Thinking about how long it's taken them to go from "almost complete-looking Pikmin 3" to "release of Pikmin 3," I shudder to think about how long it will take them to go from "early Zelda tech demo" (that spider video we saw last year) to "release of Zelda."

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

Unless the new Mario is another Galaxy... and unless they push back a new Zelda announcement a few years in lieu of their Wind Waker remake. Unfortunately, both of those things are very possible. Thinking about how long it's taken them to go from "almost complete-looking Pikmin 3" to "release of Pikmin 3," I shudder to think about how long it will take them to go from "early Zelda tech demo" (that spider video we saw last year) to "release of Zelda."

I'm guessing that the new Zelda will arrive at about the same time that Skyward Sword did with respect to the Wii's lifetime.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

That Turkey Story posted:

I'm guessing that the new Zelda will arrive at about the same time that Skyward Sword did with respect to the Wii's lifetime.

Which is 5 full years after the console's release... which is not good!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I still think having Wii Fit U is going to make a difference. But that's me.

Doubt it. People's boards (including mine) are sitting in the closet collecting dust. People aren't going to look at a new WiiFit game and be motivated to purchase a whole new console just to play it when they can see what happened to the Wii version. They'll need something more than just sequels to push the WiiU to where they want it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Louisgod posted:

Doubt it. People's boards (including mine) are sitting in the closet collecting dust. People aren't going to look at a new WiiFit game and be motivated to purchase a whole new console just to play it when they can see what happened to the Wii version. They'll need something more than just sequels to push the WiiU to where they want it.

See, I know a lot of "casual gamers" who own Wii's and they still use their Wii Fit boards. Maybe I just know a sample size but there's a lot of people who own like five Wii games and the only "game" would be Mario Party. Everything else was Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, the EA Active game, etc. I also have known of three gyms that used Wii Fit in their workout studio.

The Wii Fit was a bigger reason for the sales of the Wii than a lot of people give it credit for. Wii Fit is the third best selling game in history. It came out May of 2008. Prior to May, the Wii only sold 26 million copies. By the end of the year it had sold 45 million.

There are a lot of "Game Fitness" people out there and until Nintendo gives them a reason to adopt the Wii U they are not going to switch over. People talk all the time about casual gamers that only purchased the console and weren't "hardcore gamers" and I think that was created due to Wii Fit. Until it comes out for the Wii U, the 22 million who purchased Wii Fit with a balance board and the 20 million who purchased Wii Fit Plus on its own are not coming over (if at all).

While I don't believe Nintendo is going to immediately sell 15-20 million consoles when Wii Fit U comes out, I see it being far more of a console mover than say Bayonetta or Pikmin.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Only the Boost Guardian, really, or if you really struggled in Dark Aether.

The boost guardian wasn't just hard, he was broken as gently caress. The light beam would make the fight short and survivable but even then it had so much health in Hard you'd run out of ammo.

Then its attacks were big sweeping claw attacks+boost ball attacks with hitboxes that were completely bonkers and dealt damage in the triple digits when you only had 4~600 hp at that point.

You pretty much had to pray the minions/destructables would drop health pickups when you needed them and that you could stagger the boost guardian before its bullshit attacks.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bobnumerotres posted:

The boost guardian wasn't just hard, he was broken as gently caress. The light beam would make the fight short and survivable but even then it had so much health in Hard you'd run out of ammo.
In almost all of the Metroid Prime games, hard mode was not very well designed. They did my least favorite design choice in anything: Hard mode = enemies have more health, which is freakishly uninteresting. Ratchet up their speed or the amount of damage that the player takes, but making them take longer to kill is the worst.

Except for that I like the Prime games a lot, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Never underestimate people's willingness to buy useless fitness equipment. Think of all the much more expensive exercise equipment that winds up as towel racks. Nintendo has a brand that can sell in Wii Fit.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Random Stranger posted:

Never underestimate people's willingness to buy useless fitness equipment. Think of all the much more expensive exercise equipment that winds up as towel racks. Nintendo has a brand that can sell in Wii Fit.

I don't disagree, but I think they'll have issues selling it twice. I feel WiiFit did an excellent job of piggybacking on the Wii's success and sold really well to a userbase that was clamoring for something new, and it did a really good job of expanding on the idea of motion controls. Now that the idea and concept of the board has had time to wear off, Nintendo will basically have to convince people to reinvest $300 into something that's been sitting idle for months. I'm not saying people won't buy it but it won't be one of those things where people check into stores daily to see if shipments came in (which they did with the WiiFit).

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Louisgod posted:

I'm not saying people won't buy it but it won't be one of those things where people check into stores daily to see if shipment came in (which they did with the WiiFit).

They might if Nintendo low-balls the shipments. (Looking at you, Fire Emblem)

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

That Turkey Story posted:

I think it will be more like Wind Waker with respect to Gamecube's lifetime. SS had an unusually long development cycle, got off to a slow start, changed directions, and started over a couple times. From the Nintendo Direct tease, it sounds like they at least have the foundations underway.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Rake Arms posted:

I think it will be more like Wind Waker with respect to Gamecube's lifetime. SS had an unusually long development cycle, got off to a slow start, changed directions, and started over a couple times. From the Nintendo Direct tease, it sounds like they at least have the foundations underway.

Nintendo's executives are also likely worried about their continued employment if the WiiU doesn't start to do better.

Not that its performance is a threat to Nintendo as an organization, but flubbing your sales this badly after the knockout success of the Wii? Investors might start to want answers, and "we're got a bunch of good games coming out" is one way to mollify them.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
Nintendo badly needs a better marketing department. My friend didn't even know the wiiu was an actual console until I told him.

I don't understand why Nintendo has been so lax on the marketing side of things, has there even been commercials for the system?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Managed to get to try Pikmin 3 over the weekend and drat it's good, just wish the environments looked better. Rock Pikmin own.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Sire Oblivion posted:

Managed to get to try Pikmin 3 over the weekend and drat it's good, just wish the environments looked better. Rock Pikmin own.

Rock Pikmin have any sort of differences from normal Pikmin other than the ability to break glass?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

commander nojj posted:

Nintendo badly needs a better marketing department. My friend didn't even know the wiiu was an actual console until I told him.

I don't understand why Nintendo has been so lax on the marketing side of things, has there even been commercials for the system?

They had a few commercials when the system was released. But they did little more than show the controller playing New Mario U while blasting dubstep music.
They tried to mention that it was a new console, but the ad did little to confirm that the WiiU was more than a fancy new controller for the Wii.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SilverSupernova posted:

They had a few commercials when the system was released. But they did little more than show the controller playing New Mario U while blasting dubstep music.
They tried to mention that it was a new console, but the ad did little to confirm that the WiiU was more than a fancy new controller for the Wii.

Which means they either produced those commercials a long time ago, or they learned nothing from the E3 2011 reaction of "What the gently caress is the WiiU?"

It's probably the latter.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Rock Pikmin have any sort of differences from normal Pikmin other than the ability to break glass?

They do a TON of damage when thrown on enemies, but I can't remember if they latch on or just run back to you. I also needed them to overturn the little beetle guys that scurry around really quickly. Other than that I didn't see any differences.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been replaying Sonic All Stars Transformed and I'm excited to see how Nintendo handle Mario Kart 8. I don't think it comes close at all, but there are a lot of people that see Transformed as a better kart racer than MK so it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

I hope they really embrace the online side of things in MK8. The Wii U is actually extremely solid online so I hope they don't waste this chance. (Same goes for the next SSB)

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 4, 2013

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

KimT posted:

I hope they really embrace the online side of things in MK8. The Wii U is actually extremely solid online so I hope they don't waste this chance. (Same goes for the next SSB)

To this day, I'm convinced that they made Brawl's online so bad so that they could get out of incorporating online gameplay in future games with the argument, "You seriously want us to do that after how badly we hosed up last time?"

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 4, 2013

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Soul Glo posted:

That audience, the one that made the Wii such a hit, doesn't exist for Nintendo anymore, or else they wouldn't be having this slow of a start. If the Wii still captivated those people as much as it did when it first sold, they would have been crawling over one another for the next iteration. Turns out, people who don't play video games don't pay attention when a machine that plays video games gets released.

Anecdotal, but I was at a dinner party last week, where this couple raved about how awesome the Wii was. They have a tv, and some internet presence, but were baffled when I told them about the Wii U.

Had them over this weekend, and now they're buying one, but kept exclaiming how they couldn't believe Nintendo wasn't advertising this.

edit: All nintendo needs is a commercial of how the internet browser works within games and apps, and the casuals will come back.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 5, 2013

Electromax
May 6, 2007

KimT posted:

I've been replaying Sonic All Stars Transformed and I'm excited to see how Nintendo handle Mario Kart 8. I don't think it comes close at all, but there are a lot of people that see Transformed as a better kart racer than MK so it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

Why won't Nintendo just do a SSB with MK? I've wondered for years why they don't have Link, Samus etc in the series. I'd be excited about a Goron track or a Tallon track.

I'm sure it'll just be Bowser Castle 5 and a lame unlockable like Rosalina or the bee. MK is fun but its become so bland.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Electromax posted:

Why won't Nintendo just do a SSB with MK? I've wondered for years why they don't have Link, Samus etc in the series. I'd be excited about a Goron track or a Tallon track.

I'm sure it'll just be Bowser Castle 5 and a lame unlockable like Rosalina or the bee. MK is fun but its become so bland.

Samus in a go kart? I don't know, that seems a bit off. Smash Bros. is one thing because all the different worlds and styles are given equal weight, but shoehorning the different franchises into the aesthetic of Mario Kart may damage the already strained street cred of Nintendo's more mature franchises.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Electromax posted:

Because then they would have to make a shitload of original stuff like karts, tracks, items, music, etc. Why go to all that trouble when people will buy the new MK no matter how little original work Nintendo puts into it?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Samus in a go kart? I don't know, that seems a bit off. Smash Bros. is one thing because all the different worlds and styles are given equal weight, but shoehorning the different franchises into the aesthetic of Mario Kart may damage the already strained street cred of Nintendo's more mature franchises.

Samus in a go kart aggressively jockeying for position against the likes of Marth, Bowser, Samurai Gohroh, and Fox McCloud would be a more valid interpretation of the character than the most recent Metroid game.

plus they could make an item that acts like a lightning bolt, but instead it's just Ridley flying past the track, which automatically causes everyone to suddenly have their kart vanish and they become crying kid versions of themselves for no real reason for the next few seconds

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TaurusOxford posted:

Because then they would have to make a shitload of original stuff like karts, tracks, items, music, etc. Why go to all that trouble when people will buy the new MK no matter how little original work Nintendo puts into it?

I'm sure they might feel some pressure from Sonic All-Stars. Creatively.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, I was looking at the list of games, and, did I see Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem? Did... did Nintendo read my diary? :ohdear:

Really, it seems like greenlighting off-the-wall ideas like that are where Nintendo really shines, given how much fun I had with Pokemon Conquest (Pokemon crossed over with Nobunaga's Ambition, for those who missed it). These are the most bizarre crossovers I've ever seen, but I gotta say, they've certainly got me interested. I'm not getting the Wii U just yet because I'm poor, but you can bet I'll have bought it by the time SMTxFE is out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

fivegears4reverse posted:

Samus in a go kart aggressively jockeying for position against the likes of Marth, Bowser, Samurai Gohroh, and Fox McCloud would be a more valid interpretation of the character than the most recent Metroid game.

plus they could make an item that acts like a lightning bolt, but instead it's just Ridley flying past the track, which automatically causes everyone to suddenly have their kart vanish and they become crying kid versions of themselves for no real reason for the next few seconds

Bring in Slowbeef to do the voice and I'd be okay with it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, I was looking at the list of games, and, did I see Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem? Did... did Nintendo read my diary? :ohdear:

Really, it seems like greenlighting off-the-wall ideas like that are where Nintendo really shines, given how much fun I had with Pokemon Conquest (Pokemon crossed over with Nobunaga's Ambition, for those who missed it). These are the most bizarre crossovers I've ever seen, but I gotta say, they've certainly got me interested. I'm not getting the Wii U just yet because I'm poor, but you can bet I'll have bought it by the time SMTxFE is out.
Yeah it was announced in one of the Nintendo Directs a while ago, to much :psyboom:

In other news, a new game coming out in May, Fast & Furious: Showdown. If NFSMW isn't enough variety for you then this might be better, plus it'll have 2P co-op (hopefully local 2P split screen vs online only). It's by Firebrand who made DS and Wii versions of a bunch of racing games, supposedly they're good devs.

quote:

Missions are comprised of one or more objectives. Objectives include:

Get to Location – get to a target location as quickly as possible
Transport – transport a person, vehicle or item to a target location
Win Race – win a street race by finishing in 1st place
Catch Vehicle – catch up with an escaping vehicle
Survive Pursuit – survive a police or gang pursuit
Protect Vehicle – protect a target vehicle from being destroyed
Enter Vehicle – get your character inside the back of a moving vehicle
Wreck Objectives/vehicles – wreck target objects or vehicles
Avoid Detection – travel past security cameras at high speed
Rescue Teammate – rescue a teammate in distress
Hijack Vehicle – hijack a target car
Steal Cargo – steal cargo from a moving vehicle

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DoctorWhat posted:

Bring in Slowbeef to do the voice and I'd be okay with it.

Ridley will always sound just like Gilbert Gottfried in my mind, and he will always be laughing when he opens his mouth.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Electromax posted:

Because why would you compete with yourself? Mario Kart is already one of the few games that can move 10 million plus units, you don't want people even thinking about buying other cart racers because once that brand loyalty is gone it might not come back.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Need for Speed is great, it supports every possible control configuration and lets you remap buttons. You can do gamepad, pro controller, classic controller, remote and nunchuk, steering wheel, and remote sideways without motion control. I like being able to play any way I want.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rake Arms posted:

I think it will be more like Wind Waker with respect to Gamecube's lifetime.

Wind Waker is the Wii U's Wind Waker.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nintendo of Europe didn't get enough copies of Monster Hunter 3. This happened with Ni No Kuni as well, apparently companies might be getting a little too cautious with niche titles. Happy that it's sold beyond expectations though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Cliff Racer posted:

Because why would you compete with yourself? Mario Kart is already one of the few games that can move 10 million plus units, you don't want people even thinking about buying other cart racers because once that brand loyalty is gone it might not come back.

The person's idea is to add their existing properties TO Mario Kart, not to create a second competing product.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

theflyingorc posted:

The person's idea is to add their existing properties TO Mario Kart, not to create a second competing product.

But the problem is that adding the other franchises no longer makes it Mario Kart. Nintendo All-Stars Kart would be cool, but you'd either have to make it compete with Mario Kart, or kill off Mario Kart and make NASK the new series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TaurusOxford posted:

But the problem is that adding the other franchises no longer makes it Mario Kart. Nintendo All-Stars Kart would be cool, but you'd either have to make it compete with Mario Kart, or kill off Mario Kart and make NASK the new series.

Yeah and if you want to add people from outside of Nintendo to Super Smash Brothers you have to change the name! :effort:

Seriously, that's silly. Mario Kart 8 could make the gimmick be opening up the game to new racers from outside the Mario world and everyone would be fine with it. Hell, you can play as Pac-Man in the arcade version and nobody cried about canon. If Nintendo is making a Kart racer, it's Mario Kart. That's it.

• Locked thread