Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lord Tywin posted:

So you having played both the leaked beta and the demo is there any big changes that have occurred in this year of development?

Also what kind of loving lawyer have he found that says that he can sue Paradox?

Ubik would have told the lawyer 'these guys took my work and used it in their games' and he would have given the correct reply 'you can sue them for appropriation'.

Ubik's lawyer can only give advice based on what Ubik tells him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm pretty sure that the EU4 ledger has an index, I don't remember where I saw that but I remember being extremely happy about it because it was such a great UI improvement (which is something they seem to really be taking seriously with EU4)

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I downloaded this demo just so I could have a copy of Magna Mundi World Stage, before it inevitably is purged off the face of the planet by Paradox. The interesting thing is, he's basically included the assets of the entire game, that of which may be transferable to EU3. Considering it uses the HTTT engine (I think), I'm wondering if anything can be salvaged from this mess. I'm sure there's gotta be a few things of use that could be slapped onto EU3, namely the map. Surprisingly, he's only added in just over 100 new provinces in total.

I started it up, and dear god does it look bad. This is the loading screen from the beginning of the game, which is reminiscent of an early 90s roguelike.

It's a bad thing when the country select screen looks better than the actual game.

Loaded up as France in 1799, and I'm instantly bombarded with a million popups. I have no idea. (On closer inspection, this is the national ideas for EVERY COUNTRY IN THE GAME).

Eurasia. Apparently most of West Africa didn't exist at this point

Americas.

Asia. Apparently Australia isn't discovered yet

It should also be noted that there's an incredible lag whilst moving the camera. It lags for about 2 seconds before actually moving to where you want it to go, except rapidly. So it'll overshoot where you want to look and stop somewhere way off, meaning you've gotta go back in the opposite direction, lagging once again for 2 seconds and overshooting. It's very annoying. Other cool features of 1799 is the inability to field regiments more than 5 thousand large, for ~some reason~. I have no idea what I'm doing or what anything is, and the interface is really, really bad. Also, I'm pretty sure the tutorial is just "WELCOME TO MAGNA MUNDI WORLD STAGE" and that's it. Seems to run sort of okay.

It does actually recognize you're playing past the tutorial date, so it boots you out.

FAKEEDIT:

Started another game from the tutorial date. It might be hard to see (because look at it holy poo poo), but England has been sitting there and refusing to move their troops at all. It's taken about 5 minutes to get through 3 months, namely because it keeps pausing at every single pop up, and I have no idea how to stop this. Like stated previously in this thread, it runs really, really slowly. If I had bought this for 20 dollars or more I probably would have thrown up at the thought of spending that much on this. Yet it gets worse, when changing your message settings, you have to restart the game for them to take effect. :geno:

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 5, 2013

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lord Tywin posted:

So you having played both the leaked beta and the demo is there any big changes that have occurred in this year of development?

Also what kind of loving lawyer have he found that says that he can sue Paradox?

It is considerably more stable and faster, I can give it that. Can't say about the game itself as I didn't manage to effectively play the leaked beta.

Not that the game is optimized at all, I left it running a hands-off and the drat thing is slower than Victoria 2 during the 1900s. You can tell the quality of the programming by the fact that clicking the "tutorial" allows you to play the full game, including saves and length. Not that anyone in their right mind would want to do that except for the curiosity that makes us drive slower past a car crash, it really is a terrible piece of code.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Uh... wow. Thanks for that explanation of this debacle, guys. It's just... I can't even... :psyduck:

That's incredible, and should serve as a warning to all small game development outfits that are considering hiring/contracting out to modders. (Wiz notwithstanding, of course).

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I have a feeling Paradox learned some very hard/stupid lessons through this process.

I sympathize. But at the very least we got Ubiksoft (Portugal's very own AAA Development house) out of the deal.

Tercio fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 5, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Perhaps the most perplexing thing to me is that Ubik made Magna Mundi World Stage as if it were still a mod, not actually its own game.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

John Charity Spring posted:

I think Ubik is mentally ill, no fooling.

This. I posted about in the old thread, but he literally used to keep a file of quotes on anyone who criticized him or Magna Mundi and would mock them in a special thread on the Paradox forums.

I can't even imagine the legal smackdown that is winding up in Sweden.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

It really clear to me why it was cancelled now. It's not that Paradox wouldn't release it because it's buggy. It's that Paradox couldn't physically release it, because it's a total disaster. They would have been a complete laughing stock if they released this game as it is, with Ubik marching around claiming it's in a released state. At least HoI3 was possible to understand, imagine someone completely new to Clausewitz engine games coming into Magna Mundi. It would have been absolutely terrible.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 5, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

NMS that poo poo.

Ubik has written a new engine from scratch the, uh, Sun Tzu engine. Totally legit.

Jomini Engine would be more apt, wouldn't it?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
After watching the EU4 highlight reel I am so happy. The game itself looks awesome, but steam workshop for mods and *steam multiplayer*? I will soon be able to uninstall tunngle \o/

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
The whole game looks like it's been drawn with crayons.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cynic Jester posted:

After watching the EU4 highlight reel I am so happy. The game itself looks awesome, but steam workshop for mods and *steam multiplayer*? I will soon be able to uninstall tunngle \o/

Hotseat MP too, so hopefully you might be able to look over a bunch of different servers and think that a certain country looks like it's in a fun position and just get in there and start loving around.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Fister Roboto posted:

Jomini Engine would be more apt, wouldn't it?

Or the Solano Lopez engine.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

This. I posted about in the old thread, but he literally used to keep a file of quotes on anyone who criticized him or Magna Mundi and would mock them in a special thread on the Paradox forums.

To be perfectly fair, you guys do that as well, like one or two pages back :P

Cynic Jester posted:

Yeah we are really excited about how much easier and better playing MP is going to be :)

podcat fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 5, 2013

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

A developer interview has been posted for East versus West.

At least they are not focussing so much on warfare when asked in person. That's a little bit reassuring, but they still have a long way to go to convince me that the game is going to be good.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

podcat posted:

to be perfectly fair, you guys do that as well, like one or two pages back :P

yeah we are really excited about how much easier and better playing MP is going to be :)

Never underestimate a Goon's grudge against his fellow grognard :colbert:

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

ThePutty posted:

Asia. Apparently Australia isn't discovered yet

All things considered, while Western and Northern Australia had been landed on and mapped hundreds of years earlier by dutch, chinese and indonesians, it was only toward the 1770s and later that anyone had bothered to map New Zealand and the Australian eastern coastline which was more habitable than the monsoonal deserts and tropical wetlands that had been found previously to the northwest.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Beamed posted:

Never underestimate a Goon's grudge against his fellow grognard :colbert:

Paradox gamers are not grognards :colbert:

Keisari
May 24, 2011

So how does Magna Mundi World Stage compare to SotS2 on release? Better or worse?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

podcat posted:

Hey now, I had to dig around in the archived old thread for twenty minutes to find that. If I had a file on my computer I could have dug up the whole rant. :colbert:

I'm still trying to puzzle out the logic where they concede they've lost the rights to the name Magna Mundi but gained the rights not just to clauswitz, but the other games Paradox publishes. I wish google translate wasn't so off, I'm still trying to make heads or tails of that article.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Moving away from Ubikchat for a while: EU4 dev diary mostly going into detail over how peace negotiations will work.
"aggressive expansion relation penalty"? What was wrong with infamy?

Keisari
May 24, 2011

wukkar posted:

You mean infamy as a term or infamy as that arbitrary number that if you crossed even a little bit poo poo hit the fan? Nothing too much with the former but drat the latter is horrible. EU4 no longer has that counter and that's probably one of the best things about it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

podcat posted:

It's not crazy when it's done as a collective. :colbert:

E:

Fintilgin posted:

I'm still trying to puzzle out the logic where they concede they've lost the rights to the name Magna Mundi but gained the rights not just to clauswitz, but the other games Paradox publishes.
Magna Mundi became a Paradox owned name through the publishing of the mod on the Paradox forums. (I think that's how the ToS works there.) Later, Paradox signed over the engine (only the engine though, not their trademarks/IPs which include Magna Mundi) to Ubik, and thus Paradox now owns Magna Mundi while Ubik owns the Clauzewitz engine. That's the only way I can think of that makes sense, though it of course still assumes Paradox signed the rights to the engine over to ubik.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 5, 2013

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

wukkar posted:

It doesn't fit with the new relations system.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not crazy when it's done as a collective. :colbert:

E:

Magna Mundi became a Paradox owned name through the publishing of the mod on the Paradox forums. (I think that's how the ToS works there.) Later, Paradox signed over the engine (only the engine though, not their trademarks/IPs which include Magna Mundi) to Ubik, and thus Paradox now owns Magna Mundi while Ubik owns the Clauzewitz engine. That's the only way I can think of that makes sense, though it of course still assumes Paradox signed the rights to the engine over to ubik.

It's like a bodyswap comedy where a drunk hobo swaps with a successful business man.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Could somebody please put that World Stage demo on MediaFire or something? I've tried to grab it twice from the official site but both hours-long downloads ended in corrupted files.

It's a publicly-released demo so it shouldn't be a :filez: issue - at least not for those of us who aren't claiming ownership of the Clausewitz engine.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
With a firm heart animated by the Magna Mundi principle, kind Marshall Ubik has given final approval for a nuclear strike against Stockholm and the brigandish group of Paradox traitors.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

podcat posted:

So what share of the Clausewitz engine does this entitle us to?

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Keisari posted:

You mean infamy as a term or infamy as that arbitrary number that if you crossed even a little bit poo poo hit the fan? Nothing too much with the former but drat the latter is horrible. EU4 no longer has that counter and that's probably one of the best things about it.
I meant as a term. I assumed they had just renamed infamy based on the screenshot from that latest Dev Diary.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Why on earth would they sign over the rights to their engine to some random dude?! This seems like the opposite pattern of behavior for a successful company. Aren't engines, like, super top priority software?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DrSunshine posted:

Why on earth would they sign over the rights to their engine to some random dude?! This seems like the opposite pattern of behavior for a successful company. Aren't engines, like, super top priority software?

They almost certainly did not. Ubik is, as we've discussed, insane and believes insane things. Any speculation on what Paradox might have done is an attempt to figure out the twisted workings of Ubik's mind.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, I've finally broken down and picked up CKII (plus recommended expansions) and HoI3 on Steam. I know my main (desktop) will be more than sufficient to run them both, but I'm wondering if there's any point to even trying on my ultrabook. It's not complete poo poo, but it does have a lovely integrated graphics card (Intel HD Extreme 3000 or whatever). Does anyone have experience running those games on that sort of underpowered system?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

They didn't. As ubik explained, the contract did not say that Paradox owned the engine, just as it didn't say he owned it - so clearly, by nature, he owns it now. What aren't you understanding???

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PT6A posted:

So, I've finally broken down and picked up CKII (plus recommended expansions) and HoI3 on Steam. I know my main (desktop) will be more than sufficient to run them both, but I'm wondering if there's any point to even trying on my ultrabook. It's not complete poo poo, but it does have a lovely integrated graphics card (Intel HD Extreme 3000 or whatever). Does anyone have experience running those games on that sort of underpowered system?

Yes it'll work. You'll need to turn off all the shaders and extras and everything but it'll run fine.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Beamed posted:

They didn't. As ubik explained, the contract did not say that Paradox owned the engine, just as it didn't say he owned it - so clearly, by nature, he owns it now. What aren't you understanding???

Wow, okay, that's some plain-up North Korean propaganda-level crazy there. :stare:

Wellp, good luck to Ubik pressing his claim!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PT6A posted:

CK2 will work a lot better than HOI3, because of the smaller number of provinces.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Alchenar posted:

Yes it'll work. You'll need to turn off all the shaders and extras and everything but it'll run fine.

When it comes to running Paradox games I'd recommend worrying about your processor far more than graphics cards. My desktop has a dual core 2.9 GHz processor overclocked to 3.4 and it still chokes a bit at max speed when playing Victoria 2 :(. Although that may be PDM slowing it down.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The World Stage website is now down. Those of you that didn't already grab World Stage might be out of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Patter Song posted:

The World Stage website is now down. Those of you that didn't already grab World Stage might be out of luck.
For a given definition of out of luck. :v:

• Locked thread