Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I forget sometimes that MH is a recursive loop of preperation. I'm now in the process of upgrading a hunting horn. to farm parts to upgrade a switchaxe specifically to get Gobul Fin+ in order to upgrade my horn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Thundercracker posted:

I forget sometimes that MH is a recursive loop of preperation. I'm now in the process of upgrading a hunting horn. to farm parts to upgrade a switchaxe specifically to get Gobul Fin+ in order to upgrade my horn

That's my favorite thing about Monster Hunter. Kinda why I end up playing it between all new releases year round! Next monster hunter break is Soul Hackers, but I'll go right back to Monster Hunter's loving arms right after.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are items gained from tail cuts usually exclusive, or can they also be gained from normal captures/kills, generally? Still can't find a cutting weapon I like as much as the hammer :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

Tell me about it; I'm slowly learning what my "prep kit" should be; I just learned the hard way that I should be bringing Psychoserums along after doing three loops through the F. Forest looking for Gobul.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Ciaphas posted:

Are items gained from tail cuts usually exclusive, or can they also be gained from normal captures/kills, generally? Still can't find a cutting weapon I like as much as the hammer :(

You can usually gain them from captures, just at a reduced chance. I'm not sure if you can get them from kills, so I'd suggest captures to be safe. I managed to get a Barroth Tail despite my hammer being unable to cut tail.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You can usually gain them from captures, just at a reduced chance. I'm not sure if you can get them from kills, so I'd suggest captures to be safe. I managed to get a Barroth Tail despite my hammer being unable to cut tail.

Please note that this isn't always the case. It varies from monster to monster. If you're looking for Lagiacrus tails, for instance, you need to actually lop his tail off. Pretty sure the same goes with Royal Ludroth and maybe a couple of others.

Caiphas, have you tried out dual blades? Because they're a ton of fun now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually I did and I rather like them but I was under the impression that their range is too short to reliably get cuts. Is that not so?

Do you actually have to hit the base of the tail, by the way, or is even the far tip sufficient?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

Tell me about it; I'm slowly learning what my "prep kit" should be; I just learned the hard way that I should be bringing Psychoserums along after doing three loops through the F. Forest looking for Gobul.

Get the Fluffy mask for your Cha Cha. You basically don't need Pyschoserums or even really paintballs (unless you use Capture Guru) at that point.

Ciaphas posted:

Actually I did and I rather like them but I was under the impression that their range is too short to reliably get cuts. Is that not so?

Do you actually have to hit the base of the tail, by the way, or is even the far tip sufficient?

Go to the MH wiki, there's charts of all the hitboxes for the monsters. For tails, it's pretty generous, and almost always the whole tail.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 5, 2013

Lot
Oct 28, 2007
Switch Axe question. So I am ever so close to getting a Helios Crusher which has a dragon phial as well as a dragon hidden element. If I get awakening to unlock the dragon element, will it up the damage for my sword too, or does the dragon phial count as the element?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I believe the rusted hammer needs alot of love before it comes into it's own -- I'd stick with the Ravager Blade.

I hate hammers, though, and the Ravager blade is pretty sick looking; so I'm rather biased.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Ciaphas posted:

Cutting the tail also gives you the benefit of having another chance at a "rare" drop. For instance, you can carve Lagi and Rathalos plates from severed tails.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Agent Provocatard posted:

I just checked and saw I clocked in 175 hours. Seeing that a week contains 168 hours... :shepicide:

Also am I just terrible at IRC or is there actually no IRC monster hunter channel? I'm using Chatzilla but few times I've tried I don't see any channel. It'd be nice to play with a some goons, though I'm still undecided on if the Wii U having an almost always on microphone in the controller is either an amazing idea or a terrible idea. It's certainly something entering a lobby to hear a guy yelling at his girlfriend or a crying child.

To use irc do this:
Connect to irc.synirc.net through a dialog or the command /server irc.synirc.net then you can /join #monsterhunter

Always on mic is ok. It's really easy to turn off and on, and I feel like with the way the system works you get a lot of people actually using the mic.

Ciaphas posted:

I use hammer quite a bit. It wasn't too hard to switch to GreatSword. It's a tough weapon to use and I'm loving terrible at it, but it's really satisfying. Especially when you break peices off in only a couple hits. And I feel better at the from game using it, because you're forced to learn a lot about the monster.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 5, 2013

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Get the Fluffy mask for your Cha Cha. You basically don't need Pyschoserums or even really paintballs (unless you use Capture Guru) at that point.

How do I actually make him detect monsters?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Use the signal ping with his face on it.

On the note of masks: Mystery pot mask is the best mask. 420z for 3 cleansers, give them to the shakalaka, wait till the smoke turns red, ping him, get either 3 mega demon drugs or 3 mega armor skins for your trouble.

Edit: vv Not so much distract as be randomly targeted by the monsters vv

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 5, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

The mask description says that Cha-Cha won't attack when he's wearing it; will he still distract monsters?

I just found these two "Beginners Guide to Monster Hunter" videos which are really good. The second video really breaks down everything you wanted to know about captures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6iYOHaGGKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LN570LBJOY

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Ugh the way that guy talks is murdering me. Had to skim through, but yeah it was pretty helpful for a newbie like myself.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I'm a loving moron who has been using bow & arrow for nearly 10 hours before figuring out you can make it rain arrows by pressing A once you've charged up.
Wondered what the hell that red circle was good for.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

The mask description says that Cha-Cha won't attack when he's wearing it; will he still distract monsters?

Yes, he will.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Lance attacks do piercing, except for the slam which does impact and KO. Wyvern's fire and shots do neutral and fire (mostly neutral).

Gunlance slam deals slicing damage.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wait, is there a difference between impact and KO damage?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Impact is the damage type, KO damage is the yellow swirl/shwing when you hit the head with impact damage.

I think.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So I'm playing the Wii U version of the game, and I'm somewhat confused by a lot of things being that it's my first Monster Hunter game ever. That being said, I'll keep it to these questions for now: How do I get more farmhands? Also, can I get a bigger pouch eventually? And how does multiplayer work?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So I'm playing the Wii U version of the game, and I'm somewhat confused by a lot of things being that it's my first Monster Hunter game ever. That being said, I'll keep it to these questions for now: How do I get more farmhands? Also, can I get a bigger pouch eventually? And how does multiplayer work?

1. Complete village quests (SP/offline quests)
2. No, but you do get to expand your bank space.
3. You talk to the cat on the barrel in Moga Village and go to the port (I forgot the exact text).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You'll get more farmhands as you clear more village quests. Your pouch never gets bigger but your item box gets a few space upgrades you can buy. Multiplayer works either locally or through the internet. The former is for playing with people on the 3DS. When you spear to the cat (Neko) on the southwest pier, he gives you a few options. Network mode is for playing online. Online quests are called guild quests.

Hop onto IRC if you have more questions or want to find goons to play with.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

More farmhands will appear as you continue to do Moga village quests and rise in rank.

If by 'pouch' you mean your inventory slots; I'm afraid not. Higher ranks will give you access to books that can expand your storage space, however, just not your personal pack.

Finally, if you want to play multi-player, you have to go down and talk to 'Neko (Means "Cat")' in the bottom left of Moga village, past the fisher lady and the hunter-obsessed general shop lady. There will be a cat you can talk to. Go to 'Network mode', confirm through all the dialog and warning boxes, and it should allow you to join a world/lobby/room. Once in the room, you can multi-player hunt with other hunters in the world/lobby/room. If you hang out on IRC, some of the more veteran people can help you out on getting multi-player started up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TalonDemonKing posted:

you have to go down and talk to 'Neko (Means "Cat")'

Can I just say that the writing in this game is pretty great, especially for a game where the dialogue is almost completely skippable? :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ciaphas posted:

Can I just say that the writing in this game is pretty great, especially for a game where the dialogue is almost completely skippable? :v:

Neko (Means cat) and the Argosy captain are both great.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Neko (Means cat) and the Argosy captain are both great.

Those pumpkins arn't :argh:

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

If you only want to use hammers then your best bet is to play online and let others worry about the tail.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I'm in singleplayer up to Rathalos/Barioth/Diablos, and I've never managed to get a cut tail. I've always used a Gunlance, is this typical? It seems fine at breaking harder points, like horns and the Duramboros' hammer tail, but I've never cut anything off.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

mcpringles posted:

If you only want to use hammers then your best bet is to play online and let others worry about the tail.

I tend focus on one cutting and one impact weapon myself. I could see weapon types not clicking with some people though. If ranged weapons were exclusive to break some parts I'd be in that boat too. gently caress ranged weapons.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

TalonDemonKing posted:

If by 'pouch' you mean your inventory slots; I'm afraid not. Higher ranks will give you access to books that can expand your storage space, however, just not your personal pack.

God dammit.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

5er posted:

God dammit.

It's not such a big deal. After a while you'll learn what you need - and what you DON'T need - for a quest. No need for those tranq bombs and traps if you're just mining poo poo.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's not such a big deal. After a while you'll learn what you need - and what you DON'T need - for a quest. No need for those tranq bombs and traps if you're just mining poo poo.

Also if you're going on a harvest tour make sure you customize your loadout and inventory to have room for what you're looking for. I typically choose two (2) resources and stick to those and only pickup others if there's time and space in my inventory.

If you need ore and bugs don't pickup a ton of dung and mushrooms, you'll end up spending forever swapping out stuff

At higher ranks you'll likely want to bring along at least some whetstones, potions, and food as it'll spawn large monsters occasionally even on the Harvest tours. (just upgraded to my Arzuros Revelaxe :black101:)

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lot posted:

Switch Axe question. So I am ever so close to getting a Helios Crusher which has a dragon phial as well as a dragon hidden element. If I get awakening to unlock the dragon element, will it up the damage for my sword too, or does the dragon phial count as the element?

According to this page:

quote:

Dragon Phial - Gives your weapon Dragon element equal to the amount of element it would have if the Awaken skill was used.

I would think that it would not stack with the Awaken skill, but Awaken will allow you to do dragon damage in axe mode.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Machai posted:

According to this page:

I would think that it would not stack with the Awaken skill, but Awaken will allow you to do dragon damage in axe mode.

my understanding was that the phial = 25% of your base power, while the elemental/awaken effect added the listed damage bonus to both sword and axe modes (since you can have unrelated phial/awaken types) e.g. Dios Axe Power Phial/Slime Element

If phial type is "Element" then it boosts the power of the weapons element

edit: here's some imaginary examples

1000 atk, 150 fire, element phial = 1000 atk, 150 fire(axe)/400 fire(sword)
1000 atk, 150 slime, power phial = 1000 atk(axe)/1250 atk(sword), 150 slime (both)

you only see poison/paralysis phials paired with poison/paralysis awakenings

treeboy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 5, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there some unspoken rule that you're supposed to wait 10 minutes between hunts? I have no idea how all these people online can take so long between every hunt.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Plank posted:

I'm in singleplayer up to Rathalos/Barioth/Diablos, and I've never managed to get a cut tail. I've always used a Gunlance, is this typical? It seems fine at breaking harder points, like horns and the Duramboros' hammer tail, but I've never cut anything off.

Are you actively trying to? You should be able to cut any tail on the game, with the possible exception of barroth, with a gunlance.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I've never sat and attacked nothing but the tail until the monster died, but I've done a few fights where I've tried to prioritise the tail over any other part. Is the problem that I'm shelling it or hitting it with Wyvern Fire rather than stabs and slashes? I find no matter what I do I seem to kill most things before I get a break, unless they're super loving tough like a Duramboros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

treeboy posted:

my understanding was that the phial = 25% of your base power, while the elemental/awaken effect added the listed damage bonus to both sword and axe modes (since you can have unrelated phial/awaken types) e.g. Dios Axe Power Phial/Slime Element

If phial type is "Element" then it boosts the power of the weapons element

First, slime is not an element, it is a status. In the case of the Dios SA, you deal slime in both modes and in sword mode you get +25% raw power. For status damage, imagine the monster has a separate health bar for each status. Once you deplete this separate health bar, they are afflicted with the status.

Elemental Phials give a raw damage bonus equal to 25% of the weapon's elemental damage. Ex: 1000raw/100fire SA in sword mode would be 1025raw/100 fire.

Power Phials boost raw by 25% of base raw. Ex: 1000raw/100fire becomes 1250raw/100fire in sword mode.

If you look at the SAs with dragon phials, they ALL have hidden dragon element. That element is unlocked either with the Awaken armor skill or by going into sword mode. I do not believe it doubles if you have Awaken and are in sword mode, but I have no hard evidence.

Poison/Para phials add that status to sword mode attacks. I'm not sure exactly how this works. Except for the Giga Gale Azurite line, all SAs with Poison/Para phials have the corrosponding element hidden on them. Giga Gale Azurite has unhidden Para.

Exhaust Phials allow sword mode attacks to deplete monster stamina similar to hammers and shield bashes. Again, I do not know the specifics of how/how much it is added.

• Locked thread