Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There is a famous Truffaut statement about there being no such thing as an anti-war film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jWGJ3pyLgs

He's full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There is a famous Truffaut statement about there being no such thing as an anti-war film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jWGJ3pyLgs

I was going to make a facetious argument about The Day After being impossible to argue being "pro-war", but then I looked at the clip and that is sure some destruction. And plus anything that shows America taking a serious blow is just ment to drum up jingoism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA

So lets have a serious pro-war movie staring John Wayne.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

quote:

Trans stuff
Yeah, Anna Anthropy had what would be termed a "rather easy" time of getting hormones. I, uh, lucked out and had a mother who was so supportive she helped me find a therapist and an endo, then found me a job and let me live with her until I was settled in the proper gender. But that's kind of like hitting the lottery.

Fractal Cat posted:

It gets better, for rich white cis dudes. The rest of us can gently caress ourselves I guess?

Augh, there's a local group that's putting on a day of recording video for the Trevor Project soon and I still haven't found the words to explain to the person organizing it that it, in fact, does not get better.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPzGE7-DnOY

The only reason I'm listing this as D&D is because the guy says on National TV: "Yeah, I'm going home with half a million bucks but one of us is still going to have to work for medical insurance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8bCuNiJ-NI&t=335s

I can't help but think "Libertarians" at this part.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 5, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's right because no studio wants to produce such a thing.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I haven't seen platoon because the way people talk about it it always sounds like a pro-war movie.

well, I guess the same goes for Full Metal Jacket though, every "pro war" marine I ever met loves that movie despite it obviously being anti-war. I guess it's kinda like how people think Born in the USA is patriotic, I just don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI

Tom Berenger's performance is pretty amazing. He is absolutely terrifying and represents, I think quite well, the sort of military mindset of people dealing with a modern war with blurred lines between civilian and soldier as well as politics and war. Someone who is given tremendous authority and power over life and death but also blinded to the consequences of his brutal actions beyond his immediate surroundings.

I can see where a soldier would see Barnes as "badass" while completely missing the moral of the story.

Edit: I'm currently reading "A Savage War of Peace" about the Algerian War of Independence and at a certain point in the conflict the French military takes over control of every aspect of it and tries to win the situation militarily, ultimately drumming up support for increased resistance.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 5, 2013

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

He's full of poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Given the kinds of films that get made through independent channels I don't think that's the limiting factor. To me his statement has the most truth in that some sections of the audience will always misinterpret or overvalue certain aspects. Movies like Gallipoli show it really clearly; the ending is a pointless over-the-top charge in a war filled with them, but the solidarity and camaraderie in the soldiers still has a romantic appeal. I think Truffaut was wrong, but you need to get away from movies with soldiers as the protagonists to really see the best examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Ankn-AzC4

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know how you could watch Stalingrad and not think it's very very anti-war.

The Germans are very good at war films, it's taken them a few tries but I think they've finally figured out there's nothing glorious or good about war.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 5, 2013

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Not pictured: IAVA, which has been calling for Shinseki's head

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guilty posted:

"White women who want to become white men" is the worst description of feminism I've ever heard, and reinforces the point that feminism is needed more than ever. Why the hell should being a white male be a desirable thing to be? (Question is 'should', not 'is')
The depiction of feminism as being something that doesn't care about intersectionality, or about the differing experiences of patriarchy by race, is something that has long been a criticism of the mainstream feminist movement.

"Women who want to become men :supaburn:" sounds like a bullshit reactionary MRA criticism of all feminists.
"White women who want to become white men" sounds like a specifically womanist complaint about the exclusion of women of color from second-wave feminism, highlighting the perception that white women wanted to become equally oppressive as white men, rapidly followed by FYGM.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I haven't seen platoon because the way people talk about it it always sounds like a pro-war movie.

You should watch it and form your own opinion as to whether it's pro or anti war. Even when I was a war mongering little Republican I thought it was hosed up. Watching it again recently from a new perspective was actually kind of difficult. But I'm a huge pussy, so don't listen to me too much.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's some political photos with a deep personal connection.

This is my grandpa, he is head of the Ukraine's veteran's org. He is 82 but still goes to work most days because he is too important to fully retire.

He is having a meeting with this fellow, who you might recognize as the president of Ukraine.

The topic of conversation was why Ukraine's veterans were not getting the support they needed, specially with Victory Day coming up. The minister for veteran affairs is this jerk on the right.

Who has not been supportive enough of veterans for a very long time. My grandpa, a soldier, not a politician has always just sort of ignored it and didn't want to cause a fuss but did not respect the minister. But the president asked him flatly who was it who was not supporting his veterans and he had to reluctantly name names.

The minister was promptly and publicly fired immediately, causing a bit of a scandal.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 5, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Truffauts comment was more about the limitations and posibilites of film. It's hard to make a horrible story compelling without generating some level of excitement for what's happening on-screen. How can you show the horrors of war without getting the adrenalin pumping? If you don't get the adrenalin pumping, is there not a risk of the viewer losing emotional attachment? And so on.

There was an interesting interview with Wes Craven about "Last House on the Left" (not the remake), where he said he tried to make a film about violence that doesn't glorify it. When it first aired, some audiences got so upset they burned the film reel. He managed to confront people with violence and they hated him for it, so I think he succeded.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Guilty posted:

"White women who want to become white men" is the worst description of feminism I've ever heard, and reinforces the point that feminism is needed more than ever. Why the hell should being a white male be a desirable thing to be? (Question is 'should', not 'is')
Here, have a picture:

Guavanaut posted:

The depiction of feminism as being something that doesn't care about intersectionality, or about the differing experiences of patriarchy by race, is something that has long been a criticism of the mainstream feminist movement.

"Women who want to become men :supaburn:" sounds like a bullshit reactionary MRA criticism of all feminists.
"White women who want to become white men" sounds like a specifically womanist complaint about the exclusion of women of color from second-wave feminism, highlighting the perception that white women wanted to become equally oppressive as white men, rapidly followed by FYGM.

Goddammit, I wanted to talk about intersectionality and womanism, you cad. Fine, I'll shift.

To add to this, there is the class element to it. The needs of university educated white upper-middle class women do not always have to coincide with lower class working women and poo poo like "Women executives" and sexism in popular culture are pretty low on their list of priorities when they have to deal with lovely working conditions, racism and whatever. Language is also a problem. Privilege isn't loving simple and in my work with immigrant and working class women I've been able to use mine to try and leverage some good but poo poo is hard work sometimes and a lot of women, even if they fighting the good fight, don't seem to care enough about it to do something about it, while there never was a problem getting enough peeps to slutwalk (I was a corporate whore in a suit, btw) or protest against sexism of the cultural kind while letting the systemic abuse of immigrant and lower class women, well. Not slide. But still.

Oh and FEMEN are rad 'cause they extreme and tits and don't give a poo poo. More than most fuckers can say.

Beats Mushrooms
May 2, 2011

i just gave an unfunny man 5 dollars for this avatar.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh and FEMEN are rad 'cause they extreme and tits and don't give a poo poo. More than most fuckers can say.
I can't tell if you're being serious with this.

:nws: http://imgur.com/FfgiWh3 :nws:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

az
Dec 2, 2005

The ending of Das Boot for those who are curious why people consider it a good anti war movie. If you haven't seen the whole film yet, do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LQCRM31asM

The ending to Stalingrad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBm48re6f4

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Your grandpa is a cool dude.

This guy is gone.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Guavanaut posted:

"Man is defined as a human being and a woman as a female - whenever she behaves as a human being she is said to imitate the male." - Simone de Beauvoir

Der Untergang is another anti-war movie. It helps that it's not from the perspective of a soldier, it's about Hitler's secretary and other civilians caught up in the war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqaZNfs1mk

Strif-ah Ker-not
Oct 8, 2011
From SolFed's website:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strif-ah Ker-not posted:

From SolFed's website:

:barf:

Picture:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

I'm not trying to say that being a women is as easy as being a man, but this is a really stupid picture.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Crossposting from GiP:

Rimjin-gang posted:

<Photo Report> - 5 - Debilitated Soldiers -

Malnutrition Rampant Among The People's Army
Written by LEE Jin-su : Photo by Gu Gwang-ho (July, 2011)

This video image reveals the critical situation of the People's Army.
It was taken by Gu Gwang-ho, a North Korean working as an undercover reporter for Rimjin-gang.

The video was recorded in July, 2011, in South Pyongan Province. In a small square near the market, a group of around ten young men, all soldiers, are sitting; all look seriously debilitated. Their cheeks are sunken; arms, legs and trunk shapes are obviously skinny which can be easily recognized even while wearing their military uniforms.

Some of them are looking at nothing with out-of-focus eyes, and some are utterly absent-minded. There is a soldier who can hardly move his body.

When I received these 30 minutes of footage from Gu in China, he told the story.
"It was painful to see such a group of emaciated soldiers. They were obviously malnourished."
Gu approached the group commander and tried to ask where they were going to be taken, but he was not successful. Gu conducted a couple of interviews with local inhabitants to get information.

According to them, these soldiers belong to the sapper unit. Because of malnutrition, they had to have treatment and were going to be taken to another place. The sapper unit of the People's Army comprises about half of the 1.19 million troops of the People's Army, and mainly engages in construction of important state infrastructure.

"These malnourished soldiers looked to be around their early 20s, but the group commander told me that some were even younger," Gu said.

In the other part of the footage, a military policeman observing the unit was telling soldiers to stay behind the walls. It seemed the unit commander had an order that the group should not to be seen by local people while transferring the malnourished soldiers. Gu added that these soldiers won't live long since they looked seriously ill.

"It is not unusual to see soldiers die of malnutrition. The family receives the death announcement when their son in service dies of disease. They easily recognize it was because of malnutrition because the body is wasted away to skin and bone. This kind of story spreads around quickly. So everybody knows about the situation in the People's Army."

Two reasons for malnutrition in the military
According to the information from Gu and other inside reporters, the food situation in the military has become prominently worse this year.

Some troops even suffer for the procurement of salt. In response, the military has launched a massive campaign of seizing rice. On the other hand, many people have lost their source of sustenance since the disruption of food rations.

People try to earn their basic standard of living by purchasing food with cash they earn from doing private business. In the current situation of food shortage in North Korea, one needs to differentiate between the ordinary people who can somehow earn their living and soldiers whose lives rely on the government.

Then the question rises - Why does malnutrition occur in the military even under the state's "military-first policy"?
There are two major reasons.

Firstly, the government is not able to ensure that there is enough food to maintain the People's Army. Military rice is basically procured by domestic production, such as delivery from cooperative farms and harvests from military-owned farm fields. If the amount is insufficient, then the shortfall has to be imported or purchased from the domestic market under the responsibility of the state. But the state cannot manage it because they don't have enough money.

Secondly, the government has not been successful in preventing the embezzlement and illegal sale of military foods and materials in the market by high ranking officials of the military.Officials are making a large profit through the illegal sale of food rations which have a material cost of zero. While military goods are skimmed off by the private moneymaking schemes of officials, most of the troops are required to make a "self-solution".
This means that troops have to solve the scarcity problem themselves.

The state cannot afford to procure the necessary materials, such as gasoline, to maintain military activities, so again military goods and rice are illegally sold to earn cash to buy other necessary items for the troops. The malnourished soldiers recorded in this video are proof
of the destabilization of the government which cannot run the military, North Korea's most important state organ.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Listening to people talk about feminism like the last thirty years never happened is depressing as hell.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 5, 2013

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh look it's forums crazy person caro.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
Former pretty good friend just 'shared' this on Facebook:

I'm not even sure where to begin to address such a disconnect from reality.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Luminous Cow posted:

You should watch it and form your own opinion as to whether it's pro or anti war. Even when I was a war mongering little Republican I thought it was hosed up. Watching it again recently from a new perspective was actually kind of difficult. But I'm a huge pussy, so don't listen to me too much.

I wonder how many people knew that those in that photo were some of the 7,600 Australia troops in Vietnam.

A Capital Mechanized Infantry Division soldier in Vietnam, one of the 50,000 South Koreans soldiers in the war.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Not that anyone here needs to be told that PETA is lovely organization.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-j-winograd/peta-kills-puppies-kittens_b_2979220.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

And yet I'm not allowed to fight roosters...

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

Gozinbulx posted:

And yet I'm not allowed to fight roosters...

Well, you can, but only if they come charging right at you. Also, I think if you arrange it with the rooster beforehand it counts as Mutual Combat.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I saw a cockfight in Bali once. It was disgusting. gently caress everyone who is involved in poo poo like this.

Edit: vvv I love you. vvv

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 6, 2013

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Mercatus Institute, last week, published their Freedom in the 50 States rankings. Top of the list? North Dakota.

The same North Dakota who, that week, enacted the most restrictive abortion laws in the country.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
War bond propaganda megapost incoming :ohdear:

(If anyone wants to save any of these in a huge size just remove the l from the end of url of the pic)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Beats Mushrooms posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious with this.

:nws: http://imgur.com/FfgiWh3 :nws:
There may be a certain amount of levity in that comment. And honestly, the discussion on FEMEN is mostly over so a detailed analysis of my views isn't really needer or wanted.

Necronomiconomist posted:

Former pretty good friend just 'shared' this on Facebook:

I'm not even sure where to begin to address such a disconnect from reality.
Take him to one? Show them they aren't a cult? Seeing is believing they say, if ya wanna salvage, pff, no, sever.

Pope Guilty posted:

Listening to people talk about feminism like the last thirty years never happened is depressing as hell.
Agreed. Oh, did you mean here? That too then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Nice pictures man!

Great book about the actual extent of American war crimes perpetrated in Vietnam. Main point is that they were way more common than most people think, the whole issue was brushed under the rug and the Mai Lai massacre was only one case that actually came out and even then only one soldier was convicted and served exactly no time in jail.

Pretty good Bennett, I actually cringed looking at this cartoon and that's exactly the proper response

• Locked thread